Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

Options

Comments

I'm just reading about this case now. He entered the church and was greeted with open arms by the congregation before he turned his gun on them. Apparently he is without remorse and claims to have no psychological impairments. What is to be done with a person like that?

A greater punishment would be a lifetime in prison simply because it's not what he wants and why should he be given what he wants? A young man with such hatred inside him that he can gun down a group of people because they are a different colour to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'm not swung by this martyr argument. Even if he was, what difference does it make if the very tiny percentage of white supremacists considered him so. It's not like he would be martyred by the whole population of the US.

I think if he was executed without delay then he will be forgotten about fairly swiftly. You have people like Charles Manson who was just in the news the other day. If he was executed he'd been long long forgotten about. Instead his victims family have to deal with news reports about him decades later. I don't think that's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Johnboner wrote: »
    Look at all this scum writing this, hope you get sent to gulag as well with him, absolutely disgusting to read.
    Yeah words on the internet - definitely gulag material (I disagree with them too by the way, but... perspective).

I mean, this is probably the opposite of the what the victims would have wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

His life is over whatever happens. Why don't people like him with so much hatred inside them not do away with themselves before they hurt others. Especially in cases like this where he'll never be released from prison, I wish no one could put a face to the perpetrator, no one would know his name either. Some people just do heinous crimes to gain notoriety or to be self confessed martyrs for a cause that will never be right.

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    It's hard to believe he's not suffering from some mental condition.

Yes it is but it's is one of those rare occasions where he hasn't. Which is why I advocate the death penalty here.

If he had don't you think the defence would have put that forward, even if he was just a bit depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I think Dylann Roof has a really cute face.

and that matters because why exactly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

learn_more wrote: »
    Yes it is but it's is one of those rare occasions where he hasn't. Which is why I advocate the death penalty here.

If he had don't you think the defence would have put that forward, even if he was just a bit depressed.

How do you know this? Somebody else told you and you believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not as simple as that. Think about the cost of feeding,cleaning ,clothing, keeping watch over somebody for 80 or so years, the costs will probably run into the millions. Better off for everyone if he just dies

You do realise that'll be spent on someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I think Dylann Roof has a really cute face.

Start writing to him on death row
    Then you can get engaged and then launch a go fund me for you to go over there and marry him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Flimpson wrote: »
    Yeah words on the internet - definitely gulag material (I disagree with them too by the way, but... perspective).

People on the internet say things that they are afraid to say in real life. So they show their true sadistic colors and get sexually aroused seeing someone get slaughtered by the state. There is no other reasons as it was proven not to work by Norway. I don't care if I get banned for this if I do so should be the sadists that say he should be tortured, hanged, cut into pieces or whatever other cruel method that you cannot even imagine.

I'm just reading about this case now. He entered the church and was greeted with open arms by the congregation before he turned his gun on them. Apparently he is without remorse and claims to have no psychological impairments. What is to be done with a person like that?

A greater punishment would be a lifetime in prison simply because it's not what he wants and why should he be given what he wants? A young man with such hatred inside him that he can gun down a group of people because they are a different colour to him.

There are two aspects to punishments as I see it. One is the retribution aspect which satisfies the victims, and then there is rehabilitative consequences of one being punished. I.e if you do that again, this is what you will get.

But in this case the second aspect doesn't come into it because he will be in prison for life and will never be let out, so it's irrelevant whether he actually every thinks he did wrong or not.

So as you ask, what do you do with a person like that; I think the best solution is to execute them. This is a rare case in which I think it is justified and the right solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I have read that Roof was taking Suboxone. It's a drug that is taken to wean you off opiates. He was also on Xanax and other pills.

One of the side effects of Suboxone is violent outbursts and mood swings.

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-dylann-roof-suboxone-powerful-narcotic-found-charleston-shooter-1973919

Give this type of stuff to a guy in a country with easy access to firearms and all hell is likely to break loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Any source for that, not that I'm disbelieving you.

Mostly saw it in a few tweets, but this seems to have a fair bit of info on it:
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/us/death-penalty-dylann-roof-charleston.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&mtrref=t.co&gwh=B638F70AEF89D4165C4A85A91B580D40&gwt=pay&referer=

I have read that Roof was taking Suboxone. It's a drug that is taken to wean you off opiates. He was also on Xanax and other pills.

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-dylann-roof-suboxone-powerful-narcotic-found-charleston-shooter-1973919

Give this type of stuff to a guy in a country with easy access to firearms and all hell is likely to break loose.

I am not familiar with ibtimes and it's wiki article doesn't really give me much to feel it's a reputable news agency.

Again, I haven't heard he had and either drug or mental issues that could have contributed to his actions. I'm not saying the ibtimes article is totally untrue but I hadn't heard anything about that side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭briany

These shootings are so cowardly in their execution.

"I'm a racist. I hate black people." - Proceeds to shoot up the most welcoming and peaceable group of black people one could ever hope to meet.

"I'm angry. I hate the world." - Proceeds to shoot a class full of kindergarten kids.

Total opportunism and absolutely senseless killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I am not familiar with ibtimes and it's wiki article doesn't really give me much to feel it's a reputable news agency.

Again, I haven't heard he had and either drug or mental issues that could have contributed to his actions. I'm not saying the ibtimes article is totally untrue but I hadn't heard anything about that side of the story.

CBS reported the same thing

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charleston-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-drug-suboxone/

As did the NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/us/on-facebook-dylann-roof-charleston-suspect-wears-symbols-of-white-supremacy.html?_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Little cunt should be tortured every day for years until he eventually succumbs to the excruciating pain he is in. Slow painful death is the only thing his sort deserve.

Show it on a live 24 hour webcam to detract other cunts from trying similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

briany wrote: »
    These shootings are so cowardly in their execution.

"I'm a racist. I hate black people." - Proceeds to shoot up the most welcoming and peaceable group of black people one could ever hope to meet.
    Was thinking that. If his issue was with BLM and "gangster" culture, why not confront them (not shoot anyone obviously). But no, people attending church - yeah they were asking for it. :rolleyes:

Penn wrote: »

Thanks for that. I'm not clear on the percentage of victims families who support a non-death-penalty sentence, but anyway it's irrelevant to the bigger general questions.

I'm not a law expert but I understand punishment is decided by the state in the form of minimum sentences and so on, but never by the victims.

It would be quite an upheaval in criminal justice if the victims of said crimes were to influence the courts sentences. I don't think it would be practical myself but it's an interesting idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Flimpson wrote: »
    Was thinking that. If his issue was with BLM and "gangster" culture, why not confront them (not shoot anyone obviously). But no, people attending church - yeah they were asking for it. :rolleyes:

I don't agree with the death penalty for financial reasons, but I also don't buy the martyr argument. There's an incredibly tiny percentage of people who would consider Dylann Roof a martyr for this crime. Your average racist like Bill O'Reilly finds this crime appalling because - in their eyes - Roof targeted good, church-going people and not people whom they like to think are "asking for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It would be quite an upheaval in criminal justice if the victims of said crimes were to influence the courts sentences. I don't think it would be practical myself but it's an interesting idea.

They should call them Victim Impact Statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But Lots of people have a valid medical need for those drugs. Most don't murder people. Are you saying that nobody in the U.S. be prescribed them just in case they shoot people?

I haven't read much about this case but what I have read, this guy seems like a truly nasty piece of work. No remorse, quite the opposite. I can see why people want him dead but it doesn't solve anything really does it? Far more punishment to be locked away for life, preferably in solitary confinement

28064212 wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember all the death penalty opponents saying they're against the death penalty in every situation, unless it's something really, really, really bad. That's where it becomes totally justified, the crime just needs to be bad enough

And what's your problem with that ?

I doubt whether the argument was put as simply as 'really really really' bad as you characterise it. Some people are convicted of murder on circumstantial evidence. On the balance of probability the accused probably committed the crime, even if they deny it. I would be all for incarceration in such a case as at least it gives the accused a chance to prove otherwise in the future if new evidence were to arise.

My argument for execution in this case wasn't merely because of the badness of it, but because it's a clear cut case, and no one could ever say he was innocent after the execution.

kill him quickly and painlessly, not in the spirit of hate or vengeance but as a dirty, unglamorous act of state removing vermin

state expense on him is to be avoided where possible

anyome arguing that death penalty costs more than life imprisonment, appeals etc might think theyre building a case against the death penalty. they arent. theyre building a case against appeals and spending on death row prisoners tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

KKkitty wrote: »
    His life is over whatever happens. Why don't people like him with so much hatred inside them not do away with themselves before they hurt others. Especially in cases like this where he'll never be released from prison, I wish no one could put a face to the perpetrator, no one would know his name either. Some people just do heinous crimes to gain notoriety or to be self confessed martyrs for a cause that will never be right.
    That's am unfortunate username for this thread...

Don't like the death penalty or "prison as torture" be a use they don't achieve anything (Norway I think it is has the nicest prisons in the world, and one of if not the lowest recidivism rate in the world in large part due to focusing on reform rather than punishment). That said I'll share another posters sentiments from earlier and say I wouldn't be lifting a finger to come to his aid with regards to those, after what he did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The death penalty is always wrong, no matter if the perpetrator kills one person or a million. It is never justified IMO.

This racist piece of filth deserves to rot away in a miserable prison. Executing is only giving him what he wants and he will be a martyr to racist neo-nazi rednecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Execute him and be done with it....his guilt is without doubt
    He wants to be executed.....little to no chance he'll reform

Those saying they are againest death penalty.....but want to see him tortured or slowly drove insane (as result of soldiadary confinemenet).

...would want to have a look at themselves.......being that blinded by anti death penalty mindset to think long term torture is better??? Wtf?

It serves noone any good to keep him alive......id sooner be dead than face 50+ years in jail and growing old there.....its no substitude for life

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Cost wise it's been show that the death sentence is more costly, he won't be killed tomorrow but likely 15-20 years time after lots of reviews and costly legal procedures.

We thought about that. Four years ago, California had a referendum on removing the death penalty, it narrowly failed. Depending on what one wanted to believe, one took a different interpretation on that. Some felt that the tide was turning against the death penalty on moral grounds, others felt that people didn't feel it was worth the cost of the process.
    So, two months ago, we had another referendum. This time, they split it up. One proposition said 'let's get rid of the death penalty', the other said 'let's make the process a little more time and cost effective.'  The final result was that 53% (vs 46%) of Californian voters voted to keep the death penalty and 51% (vs 49%) voted to speed it up.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    The idea of treating all prisoners with respect and as human beings no matter who or what they've done is an important stepping stone in the advancement of human civilisation, it should never change under any circumstance
    Why?
    As they say, respect is earned. Or, at the very least, given by default until it is shown to be undeserved. Outside of making oneself feel better, why should any particular amount of respect be afforded to a remorseless mass murderer of gentle people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Johnboner wrote: »
    Look at all this scum writing this, hope you get sent to gulag as well with him, absolutely disgusting to read.

You OK hun...

Advertisement