Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't know about you doing something wrong, but starting a job like that without the tools you need is a recipe for disaster.

Bleed kits should be easy to get in your lbs, and I'd imagine there are spurious versions of the brake assembly grease.

I note at the start of the video he said SRAM are warrantying those parts out, have you looked at that option?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll check. Sram have a video themselves that is much shorter and makes it look even easier because they don't explain much.

For a good mechanic familiar with the issue it's a 20-30 min job. For me it's longer and I need to go get a bleed kit and dot fluid and Grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hi, does anyone have any experience with something like the below? Its a frame mounted seat for kids.

https://kidsrideshotgun.eu/

I have two kids, and am looking at commuting with them on the bike. The 1 year old will be in a toddler seat on a back carrier seat, but I was thinking of putting the older kid (a small girl, just turned 4) on one of the above (...or something similar; 200 quid seems a bit steep for what it is).

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bringing a kid out on your bike mountain biking is not a concept i've come acress before (not that's what tigger123 is planning!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I have this for a tallish 4yr old

I got it for 45ish in local Argos.

The one you linked isn't cheap and I'm not quite sure what you get for all that extra cost. Is the one you linked only for mtb's?

In short they are great, your child will love it and so will you. I use it daily for shop/creche/greenways etc. Should get next summer out of it. BTW all those nice ladies are smiling at the child not you😀

Not sure if its only for MTBs, but tbh the one you have linked looks great. Really cant fathom how that other one is 200 quid!

I think I'll give the Oxford one a try, so thanks for the recommendation. I was a little worried about having the 1 year old on the back and the 4 year old on the front at the same time, but I think the weight distribution should be ok (as the four year old will be next to me, and not on the back seat).

Its for doing creche runs. I would go with the bike trailer seat for the two of them, but parts of the commute have no cycle lane, and I'd be nervous I can't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

In relation to shotgun

THE SHOTGUN SEAT WILL NOT FIT:

• Electric bikes (we do however have an e-mtb shotgun seat in development, subscribe to be notified of it's release in early 2021)
    • Road or gravel bikes (due to the lack of clearance between the front wheel and down tube) 
    • Cruiser or step-through bikes (due to the lack of clearance between the front wheel and down tube)
    • Some older bikes (where the gear or brake cable runs along the top of the top tube, however cables that run elsewhere on the bike are fine)  

Cheers for all the responses; I think the Oxford one is the way forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

My chain keeps slipping off when sitting up from gear 6 to 7 to 8 and I'm not sure why. Pullies seen to be in line so I can't see what's going on. Shifting down gears Disney doesn't seem to cause any problems, just shifting up when I'm trying to pick up speed.

Any ideas folks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is “8” the biggest or the smallest sprocket on your cassette?

either your high or low limit screw needs to be adjusted. The answer above tells us which one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

8 is the smallest.

they/them/theirs

Sorry @Brian? not seeing a video there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If it's also slipping from 6 to 7 I'd not be so quick to blame limit screw.

Limit screw very seldomly need adjusting. Id only adjust screw if chain is coming off or you just can't get into 8 (in this instance).

Op I'd try putting a but more tension into the gear cable.

Maybe be I misread the question, but if it’s slipping off the smallest or largest cog, the limit screws definitely need to be adjusted.

if the shifting is sloppy then it’s just the tension.

they/them/theirs

I think it might just be tension, it's slipping from 6 to 7 to 8, but not the other way, so I'd go to the barrel adjuster first

I think I misread the question. You’re right, it’s skipping past a gear. Needs more tension

they/them/theirs

Anyone know of any mechanics who have a bit of expertise in SRAM hydraulic servicing? Can't get replies from some places that I'm trying, and my own lbs isn't too keen, though did a few things and wouldn't take money from me to check it over.

• Advertisement

I haven't asked a stupid question in a while, so here I go.

I'm running cable to this front derailleur

The cable routing runs along the top tube...

...then down the seat tube to this plastic circle, where it loops around and comes up to the derailleur.

Now for the question. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the cable housing to terminate, and I took no pictures of the original setup, because in my hubris I assumed I would be able to easily figure it out (in other words, a problem for future me, but future me is now present me)

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Are you saying it was fully functional previously and you’ve mislaid no parts ? Sorry I haven’t seen this setup before but presumably there must be a cable stop at that black circle or before it. Could it be a band-on cable stop perhaps?

It was funtional when the bike was in use 15 years ago. I don't think Ive lost parts, and just assumed there was some sort of cable stop. To my own great annoyance, I paid no attention when I was taking it apart, assuming it would be obvious, having done cables on other bikes before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

If you can identify the model maybe a google image search will throw it up but probably an aspect of the bike more than the FD. Image search on the bike might reveal something.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Have to ask the silly question: I assume the clamp of the stand isn't hiding something?

@Elvis Hammond , I was convinced that I checked around the clamp and there was nothing.

Went back and looked at a photo I took and posted here at the start of April. There is indeed a cable stop (is that the proper term) in that picture just where the clamp would be.

I'm not at my house at the moment, nor am I likely to be over the coming days, but I can't figure which I want more; that there is, in fact, something behind the clamp, in which case I look like a complete gobshite, or that the cable stop somehow broke off, thereby vindicating me and my stupid question.

Also, thanks @hesker for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

With different brands of disc wheel sets will I need to reset the calliper each time I change out my racing wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Pedro's CC2, am I right when measuring elongation point 1 & 2 need to be under pressure to get accurate reading?

I have 0.5% as the other side can be dipped to the bulge. I'm planning to go to 0.75% or should change now? I'm on my 2nd chain on the current cassette.

Not entirely relevant, but related to maintenance

Popped into 2 shops to try and get Dot 5.1 fluid. 15 quid for 120ml bottle, whereas Halfords have a litre of the stuff for 16. Put in a sram/avid/Fenwick's or cycling related brand bottle and charge a near 1000% mark up is quite remarkable given its the exact same stuff

• Advertisement

I've been saying this about cycle related stuff for ages. They do the same thing with lithium grease

Advertisement