Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

You need another spacer. The cap should be tightening down onto the spacer, not the steerer tube

Did you remove a spacer when you lowered the stem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

cletus wrote: »
    Did you remove a spacer when you lowered the stem?

Oddly no.

And I took the smallest spacer off my spare bike and it's too much.
    I'm going to need a 2 or 3mm spacer. Smallest I have is 5mm

Might be time to bit the bullet and cut the tube!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Might need a very thin spacer
    The cap is thicker in the center
    Spacers almost flush with steerer top

Replace the top spacer with a thicker one that gives you about a 3mm gap and your problem is solved I reckon

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Oddly no.

And I took the smallest spacer off my spare bike and it's too much.
    I'm going to need a 2 or 3mm spacer. Smallest I have is 5mm

Might be time to bit the bullet and cut the tube!

Or replace one of the spacers with a thicker one ;)

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This is the issue.
    Went to take off again.

Loosened the cap
    Then tightened the cap to a reasonable tightness.

There's a 0.5mm gap between the cap and the stack

Remove the top cap and check the expansion plug in the steerer tube. If it has come loose, when you tightened the top cap, the expansion plug may have been pulled up a bit.

Make sure it’s tight and make sure it’s down far enough in the steerer tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Brian? wrote: »
    Or replace one of the spacers with a thicker one ;)

Thought of that too.
    Have a couple small ones on way.

Cheers people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/tannus-mini-velo-regular-16-tyre/137491816/p

Are these any good? Having bad luck with punctures right now, three in three weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that for a kid's bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

is that for a kid's bike?

Yeah but more the whole tubeless thing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Bought a bike about two years ago. First one with disc brakes, and when I asked how long the brake fluid would last, I was told "forever".
    Are the discs wearing out, or is the brake fluid being used up? The brakes are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
    The front ones still slow me down on a steep hill, but it's not good enough any more.

Terry wrote: »
    Bought a bike about two years ago. First one with disc brakes, and when I asked how long the brake fluid would last, I was told "forever".
    Are the discs wearing out, or is the brake fluid being used up? The brakes are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
    The front ones still slow me down on a steep hill, but it's not good enough any more.

Change the pads? Bleed air from the fluid?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my first thought would be brake contamination or brake wear if you've had the bike two years.
    you might be able to easily see how much meat is left on the pads if worn.

How noisy are the discs?

Change the pads? Bleed air from the fluid?
    No idea how to do that, but I'll look into it. Cheers.
    yeah, my first thought would be brake contamination or brake wear if you've had the bike two years.
    you might be able to easily see how much meat is left on the pads if worn.
    Will check them out. Thank you.

How noisy are the discs?
    No noise at all.

contamination would often make itself audible in the wet. the brakes would squeal.

Terry wrote: »
    No idea how to do that, but I'll look into it. Cheers.

Will check them out. Thank you.

No noise at all.

Changing the pads:

https://youtu.be/Xqw0SaZl-jo

they/them/theirs

contamination would often make itself audible in the wet. the brakes would squeal.

Thanks for all the answers.
    It seems that the problem is with the brake pads. I'll be leaving the bike in with the experts in my local bike shop. They know what they're doing, and I'm only capable of fixing a puncture.

Also, the crank has been sounding dodgy for over a year, so I need to get that looked at, too.

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

Hi folks,
    I've an old mens bike that Im going to fix up a little, starting with new tyres & tubes.
    the current tyres are size 26" by 4, what would be the best size tyre to get for it?

thank you

do you mean 4cm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

well it just says 4, but the 26 must be inches, so not sure they would mix imperial & metric.
    it cant be 4 inches, they are about 4o mil now that i think about it.

ill prob get 38 mil or something like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

patspost wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I've an old mens bike that Im going to fix up a little, starting with new tyres & tubes.
    the current tyres are size 26" by 4, what would be the best size tyre to get for it?

thank you

How old is the bike? There was a 26 x 1 1/4 (26 by one-&-a-quarter) inch size on old Brit bikes; maybe that's where you're seeing the 4 in the marking?

26" is a very common standard for wheels, mountain bikes used that size for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

26" is a very common standard for wheels, mountain bikes used that size for many years.

The tyres/wheels are not all interchangeable though. The old size I mention has a BSD of 597mm, & the mountain bike one is 559mm.

not specifically a bike maintenance thread, but there's no universality of connectors for floor pumps, is there? i threw the hose out on this ~20 year old pump a few years ago (it had perished), and it's been knocking around the garage ever since. should just bin it if a new hose cannot be bought (which would probably be for the cost of a new pump anyway!)

556890.jpg

556891.jpg

not specifically a bike maintenance thread, but there's no universality of connectors for floor pumps, is there? i threw the hose out on this ~20 year old pump a few years ago (it had perished), and it's been knocking around the garage ever since. should just bin it if a new hose cannot be bought (which would probably be for the cost of a new pump anyway!)

556890.jpg

556891.jpg

If you've any way of measuring threads, internal diamater, or whatever, I'll check it against my cheap aldi/Lidl pump. If it's the same, I'd hang on until the get them in again, you'd have a replacement hose for about 8 quid

Has anyone here taken their bike to a bike shop to have bottle cage mounts fitted using Riv nuts?

I'm trying to fit a battery but unfortunately the existing bottle cage mounts are slightly in the wrong position plus I could use an extra two holes for a more secure fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Has anyone here taken their bike to a bike shop to have bottle cage mounts fitted using Riv nuts?

I'm trying to fit a battery but unfortunately the existing bottle cage mounts are slightly in the wrong position plus I could use an extra two holes for a more secure fit.

Hey,
    I've never taken my bike to a shop for it but I have fitted rivnuts for bottle cages before (as recently as yesterday).

If it's something you would consider doing yourself, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

My bike has 20 x 2.25 Kenda tyres. Got a puncture the other day. Removed tyre and tube and found glass in tyre that protruded slightly inside the tyre. The strange thing is that the hole in the tube was about 4 or 5 inches around the tyre from where the glass was.

I checked the inside of the tyre thoroughly and found one thing other than the glass. Very close to where the puncture occurred, there was a small pimple of rubber on the inside of the tyre. It seems like it was there since manufacture and there's no sharpness.

1. Is it possible that the glass might have caused a puncture that appears that far away on the uniflated tube?

2. If that "pimple" in the rubber of the innerside of the tyre might have caused the puncture through friction, what would be the best way to remove it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lissavane wrote: »
    My bike has 20 x 2.25 Kenda tyres. Got a puncture the other day. Removed tyre and tube and found glass in tyre that protruded slightly inside the tyre. The strange thing is that the hole in the tube was about 4 or 5 inches around the tyre from where the glass was.

I checked the inside of the tyre thoroughly and found one thing other than the glass. Very close to where the puncture occurred, there was a small pimple of rubber on the inside of the tyre. It seems like it was there since manufacture and there's no sharpness.

1. Is it possible that the glass might have caused a puncture that appears that far away on the uniflated tube?

2. If that "pimple" in the rubber of the innerside of the tyre might have caused the puncture through friction, what would be the best way to remove it?

3. The glass went through the tyre and punctured the tube. As the tube deflated, the tube moved/twisted so when you removed the tyre, the hole in the tyre and tube were in different locations?

Advertisement