Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

TaSeThat wrote: »
    Apologies, I'm really starting to hijack this thread but I had a good look and looks like everything is in rag order and needs replacing (see pics - hopefully I've used the correct description for the parts in the overall image):

1. Chain
    2. Cassette
    3. Front Chain Ring
    4. Rear Derailer - can just the "wheels" be replaced or does the whole rear derailer have to be replaced.

So, do I just need the cassette removal tool, screwdrivers and patience to tackle all this (I have the chain tools also).

Should I get the same equipment again and will this affect the other parts (if i get a specific cassette say, does this dictate what chain, chain ring, derailer I get).

Again, sorry with all the questions.

FYI, this looks like my model bike so has details on the items which is handy for replacing:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/cannondale-caad-optimo-disc-tiagra-review/

thanks in advance.

1. give the bike a claen.
    2. buy this...(think of it as an investment!)
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-bike-tool-kit-18-piece
    3. subscribe to Park Tools on Youtube and start learning how maintain your bike. you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

hesker wrote: »
    Here are the photos. New vs Worn. You can see wear on the worn one but can you tell that it is worn to the point that it is unusable

556159.jpg

556160.jpg

on the trailing edges of the teeth esp on the 3 o' clock to 5/6 o' clock ones there is a sharp edge with a little point at the top ....not good news (most likely worn chain did the damage)

just fitted a new chain to my 2 yr old Chorus cassette (prob about 8K)...skipping in the middle cogs only when any power applied
    ordered a new cassette from Mantel tuesday might arrive tmrw :rolleyes:

many sources ,YouTUbe etc say this behaviour and wear indicate new cassette time...guess i'll find out this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've changed my gearing and measuring the size of chain I need, I'm one link short (with a very recent chain). Can a link / second quick link be added or do I need a new chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

I can't answer your question definitively, but heres a video where dude makes a chain out of nothing but master links

https://youtu.be/m1y95ztSY5U

• Advertisement

I've changed my gearing and measuring the size of chain I need, I'm one link short (with a very recent chain). Can a link / second quick link be added or do I need a new chain?

You’d have to break the chain in two and add a second split link. Reason is you can’t link two split links to each other.

Ive never done this and if I were you I’d fit a new chain. (Just for peace of mind and not for any negative technical reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

OK folks, so a kind of bike maintenance question. Thinking of changing the chainset from 52/36 to 53/39. Currently run with a 52/36 - 11/28, and its fine, but I am getting a little bit stronger and was thinking of upgrading the chainset to the 39 inner. Anyone done this and did you use any calculator to find out what speed/range you had on the gears? thanks,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sort of terrain do you cover? i.e. do you use the inner ring a lot? because the difference on the outer ring is less than 2%, and unless you're running out of gears, i'm not sure there's that much to be gained.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can add a new link no problem, but I wouldn’t add a 2nd quick link.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

burger1979 wrote: »
    OK folks, so a kind of bike maintenance question. Thinking of changing the chainset from 52/36 to 53/39. Currently run with a 52/36 - 11/28, and its fine, but I am getting a little bit stronger and was thinking of upgrading the chainset to the 39 inner. Anyone done this and did you use any calculator to find out what speed/range you had on the gears? thanks,

Do you find yourself spinning out a 52x11 much? Fair play if you do, but I wouldn’t bother if I was you.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anyone know of any shop that I may be able to drop a wheel in to be trued without too much of a wait? I ask because CSS are saying their lead times for repair are a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any shop that I may be able to drop a wheel in to be trued without too much of a wait? I ask because CSS are saying their lead times for repair are a month.

Humphries iin finglas did one for me recently, same day service. Ring beforehand to make sure their not too busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm finding I need to tighten the head a lot to stop it rocking in the bearings.

This normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm finding I need to tighten the head a lot to stop it rocking in the bearings.

This normal?
    No.

Are you ensuring that you are loosening the stem bolts first before tightening the head nut?

No.

Are you ensuring that you are loosening the stem bolts first before tightening the head nut?

Yep

Yep

Bearings could be gone.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Bearings could be gone.

Took the whole lot apart yesterday.
    Was very tight (obviously from myself a few months ago)
    Everything seemed perfect.
    Bearings very smooth.

Cleaned and greased it up. .
    But yeah took a big pull on Allen key to get it solid after.

Bearings very smooth.

There’s something wrong. You should torque the head bolt to the right value and not go mad on it to get it tight.

Did you change the bearings recently?

they/them/theirs

Bearings very smooth.

Have a look at this

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/stem-removal-installation-threadless

Is there a load of spacers under the stem? Pay attention to the height between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem. Shouldn’t be more than 3mm

they/them/theirs

There’s something wrong. You should torque the head bolt to the right value and not go mad on it to get it tight.

Did you change the bearings recently?

I'll have to get my hands on torque wrench.
    But feels too tight.

Inspected the bearings and frame yesterday. No wear anywhere so put the old ones back in.
    Had to put a little tube around the allen key to get the torque into it

• Advertisement

Have a look at this

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/stem-removal-installation-threadless

Is there a load of spacers under the stem? Pay attention to the height between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem. Shouldn’t be more than 3mm

I'd say you're onto something here.
    I'll look tonight.

Funny enough I've been working on my flexibility the last year. Had plenty spacers under. For about 6 months they've all been above the bars.
    Not in any way pretty but I've been leaving the chimney stack alone.

The abomination of a turret

I'd say you're onto something here.
    I'll look tonight.

Funny enough I've been working on my flexibility the last year. Had plenty spacers under. For about 6 months they've all been above the bars.
    Not in any way pretty but I've been leaving the chimney stack alone.

6nm is about the right torque. That’s not a lot of torque, you need to back that bolt off and find the problem before you destroy your steerer!!

Take off the cap and take a picture. You may need a different sized spacer in the mix somewhere.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

devonp wrote: »
    on the trailing edges of the teeth esp on the 3 o' clock to 5/6 o' clock ones there is a sharp edge with a little point at the top ....not good news (most likely worn chain did the damage)

just fitted a new chain to my 2 yr old Chorus cassette (prob about 8K)...skipping in the middle cogs only when any power applied
    ordered a new cassette from Mantel tuesday might arrive tmrw :rolleyes:

many sources ,YouTUbe etc say this behaviour and wear indicate new cassette time...guess i'll find out this weekend :)

fitted new cassette, Chorus 11sp 12-29, no skipping :) on the small hills in the estate...will try something harder tmrw hopefully

i distinctly remember being told 'just mount the chain so the shimano logo is facing out and is the right way up as it crosses over the top of the cassette and through the FD to the chainring'.

556533.jpg

i distinctly remember being told 'just mount the chain so the shimano logo is facing out and is the right way up as it crosses over the top of the cassette and through the FD to the chainring'.

556533.jpg

I don't think it matters, mechanically speaking

they/them/theirs

AFAIK the "Shimano" stamp must be on the outside (as per your photo). if it was on the inside (facing the wheel spokes) it would be incorrect.

6nm is about the right torque. That’s not a lot of torque, you need to back that bolt off and find the problem before you destroy your steerer!!

Take off the cap and take a picture. You may need a different sized spacer in the mix somewhere.

Might need a very thin spacer
    The cap is thicker in the center
    Spacers almost flush with steerer top

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Might need a very thin spacer
    The cap is thicker in the center
    Spacers almost flush with steerer top

Can you take a picture on the steerer tube with all the spacers in place, and if possible, a ruler with mm increments to show the difference between the steerer and too spacer

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Can you take a picture on the steerer tube with all the spacers in place, and if possible, a ruler with mm increments to show the difference between the steerer and too spacer

This is the issue.
    Went to take off again.

Loosened the cap
    Then tightened the cap to a reasonable tightness.

There's a 0.5mm gap between the cap and the stack

Advertisement