Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,183 ✭✭✭✭L1011

iguot wrote: »
    I never mentioned money? Not outraged either.

I pay parking and buy the event book on the day to support (Plus hotels and all that if ya really want to get into it) your post is just chocabloc full of bull assumptions.

I'd also happily pay €50+ for a decent event.

"Oh it's free, everyone shut the fook up about it being sh1t so."

NO! Cop on.

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I can see the two points been made, yep its not a great line up for Bray(so far) but on the other hand its free, you know whats attending therefore if you dont like then dont go.
    Westport was a great day and no jets etc, we had a fantastic time though in such a lovely setting,infact i must say the hospitality in Westport was unreal,such a friendly atmosphere.
    The Abbeyshrule's/Baldonnel etc of the late 80s/90's which i remember well and were great weekends will not be back,different times.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 Werido

Found memories of Abbeyshrule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone remember the 1996 Salthill Air Show when 4 F18 Hornets and F14 Tomcats ripped the place apart, Those were the days

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The Abbeyshrule's/Baldonnel etc of the late 80s/90's which i remember well and were great weekends will not be back,different times.
    Very much a different era. Now airforce's are husbanding hours on their airframes and protecting their limited assets and flight crews.
    Back in the 1980's the aircraft were used as much as possible to show off their power and number. They were both a recruitment tool and a show of force to both ally and adversary alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I was really glad I caught the last Salthill airshow, they really were in a different league to anything you see thesedays really.

Great crowd, display line pretty much over the crowd, ridiculous numbers of large jets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFXF2DFPGc <- 2004 version

Just a bit off topic but often a "fly in" will provide some good displays, today in Athboy was no exception, great afternoon and all viewed from sitting beside a piper cub eating a burger from the BBQ. Eddie Goggins put his CAP232,G-IIAI, through its paces. Also displaying was an Irish Historic flight chipmunk and Gerry Humphreys. Plenty of visiting aircraft to including a beautiful Pitts Special G-OWTF. Just a shame places like Abbeyshrule dont organise a big fly in, they have the room. Roll on Enniskillen next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Just a bit off topic but often a "fly in" will provide some good displays, today in Athboy was no exception, great afternoon and all viewed from sitting beside a piper cub eating a burger from the BBQ. Eddie Goggins put his CAP232,G-IIAI, through its paces. Also displaying was an Irish Historic flight chipmunk and Gerry Humphreys. Plenty of visiting aircraft to including a beautiful Pitts Special G-OWTF. Just a shame places like Abbeyshrule dont organise a big fly in, they have the room. Roll on Enniskillen next weekend.

Fly in's are indeed great for the GA community. I've been to quite a few in the last 6/7 years.

Unfortunately, on occasion, some of the more well known 'performers' seem to throw caution to the wind for some thrills.

I've witnessed first hand, performances whereby the notion of a crowd line is completely disregarded.

Sure, its all part of the thrill of an aerial display. Its all well and good until something goes wrong and then its a tragedy.

"Unfortunately, on occasion, some of the more well known 'performers' seem to throw caution to the wind for some thrills."

thankfully not today,great day. Lough Conn also a good one most years :). we also try to visit Popham once a year, some spot.

"Unfortunately, on occasion, some of the more well known 'performers' seem to throw caution to the wind for some thrills."

thankfully not today,great day. Lough Conn also a good one most years :). we also try to visit Popham once a year, some spot.

Great to hear.

I've never been to Lough Conn. It always seems to get a good bit of traffic form what I see on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 snaproll

@Negativeg, i've noticed from a few of your posts you seem to have an axe to grind with some of the display pilots here.
    There are only three or four guys in Ireland that i know of that perform aerobatics at most if not all of these fly-ins or airshows. If any of these lads are as careless as you portray them i doubt the powers that be would allow them to fly at any of these events.

snaproll wrote: »
    @Negativeg, i've noticed from a few of your posts you seem to have an axe to grind with some of the display pilots here.
    There are only three or four guys in Ireland that i know of that perform aerobatics at most if not all of these fly-ins or airshows. If any of these lads are as careless as you portray them i doubt the powers that be would allow them to fly at any of these events.

I have commented on it before because it is a recurring issue. People turning a blind eye to it doesn't help. Perhaps most punters don't understand the concept of a crowd line and its importance to maintaining safety.

All fine and dandy until something happens.

Dont worry, I've made my feelings known to the IAA who informed me that they cannot give any further comment regarding any complaint or observation made so whether any action was taken I do not know. Perhaps they would be more interested in footage rather than an eye witness account.

Any pilots who carry out repeated low passes directly over a crowd line do not deserve to be flying. I couldn't give a monkeys about who the individual(s) or what they're like personnaly.

I'll judge a display by what I can see with my own two eyes.

I'm going off topic now so I'll digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Bazzer007

I am looking forward to attending the Foynes Air Show this year, a lot closer to home compared to Bray for me :) fingers crossed it will be a fine day. It's exciting to think nearly all of the acts performing at Bray will also be performing at Foynes. Credit to the Flying Boat Museum and the IAA for putting Foynes on the map. I thoroughly enjoyed the Westport air display and this one should even be better.

https://flyinginireland.com/2017/06/spectacular-line-up-for-foynes-air-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jasT1981

Negative_G wrote: »

Any pilots who carry out repeated low passes directly over a crowd line do not deserve to be flying. I couldn't give a monkeys about who the individual(s) or what they're like personnaly.

I'll judge a display by what I can see with my own two eyes.

I'm going off topic now so I'll digress.

I would love to know what airshows you are talking about, because truthfully, I am sure many of us would love to go to an airshow with a closer crowd line.

In all the Irish shows in both Republic and Northern Ireland in 2015 & 2016 only 3 of the displaying or booked aircraft/teams had a crowd line exemption, and one of them didn't even display due to weather at one of the shows. And they were heavily restricted to only making their entrance over the crowd line from behind.

Those are the Red Arrows, Frecce Tricolori and The Blades who are all allowed to enter from behind the crowd and that is it, nothing more. The Blades didn't even make it here last year due to weather.

What displays & shows are you talking about, because I would love to check them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Bray line up,

brayairdisplay.com/in-the-air/?utm_content=bufferf1423&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Where are the planes bases this year? Weston/Baldonnel?

Bray line up,

brayairdisplay.com/in-the-air/?utm_content=bufferf1423&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Where are the planes bases this year? Weston/Baldonnel?

F-18 will be in Dublin anyway. Its unable to operate from Baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

F-18 will be in Dublin anyway. Its unable to operate from Baldonnel.

For the ignorant here, mostly me! How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Fattes wrote: »
    For the ignorant here, mostly me! How come?

Runway length I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was there not a Spanish Hornet at Baldonnel as part of the ground display ,I recall walking around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought there were fast jets on the ground back in the 90's/2000 when they had the really big shows. I don't remember clearly though. Could be wrong.

• Advertisement

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Runway length I'm guessing

Pretty sure it's not that Hornets need 430-1,000 meter runways and Baldonel has room to spare Unless it's to do with fuel weight

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Pretty sure it's not that Hornets need 430-1,000 meter runways and Baldonel has room to spare Unless it's to do with fuel weight

Yeah was just a guess, seems like they should have better performance (unless short field ops aren't done for non-critical flights or something?)

It is to do with Runway length & specification. The F-18 and support aircraft will be at Dublin.

Not 100% sure if there has even been an f-18 on the ground in Baldonnel. I seem to recall one did touch and gos before but again I think that was based in Dublin.

Open to correction though.

It is to do with Runway length & specification. The F-18 and support aircraft will be at Dublin.

Not 100% sure if there has even been an f-18 on the ground in Baldonnel. I seem to recall one did touch and gos before but again I think that was based in Dublin.

Open to correction though.

More like spec, length is well within operational limits for F18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Spanish Air Force F/A-18 Display Hornet on the ground at Baldonnel/EIME...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

19884420_763331153838285_8356461582006158308_n.jpg?oh=9c6e1f73e132f58f11e5e041e036dc95&oe=59C93D38
    Sadly P-51 Mustang (Miss Velma) that was due to display in Bray this month have performed an emergency landing in Duxford today and will NOT be participating at this years event.
    From FB event.

More like spec, length is well within operational limits for F18

It may well be within published operational limits. That doesn't preclude the Spanish from having more constrictive performance requirements.

Either way. It will be in Dublin. Which addressed the question from another poster.

I suspect all avgas piston engine aircraft will be in Weston and Newcastle.

The vampires and fougas will be back to Baldonnel.

It may well be within published operational limits. That doesn't preclude the Spanish from having more constrictive performance requirements.

Either way. It will be in Dublin. Which addressed the question from another poster.

It's not just within an operation envelope it is even within the maximums operational of any variant of the F18. Curious as to why Dublin and not Casment, there he to be an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Please see my previous post of a Spanish F/A-18 Hornet I photographed at Baldonnel.

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    Please see my previous post of a Spanish F/A-18 Hornet I photographed at Baldonnel.

I saw your post. You have shown there was one in Baldonnel before. Your photo was taken over 15 years ago. They may well have changed their SOPs in the interim.

This F-18 and the support aircraft will be based in Dublin. This is what is scheduled to happen at present.

I'm quite sure that the Spanish would rather operate out of a quiet military base rather than a busy international airport, given the choice so you can make up your own mind as to why they are choosing not to. If I hear of it changing from Dublin, I'll post an Update. Otherwise this will end up going around in circles.

Advertisement