Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Light Rail [route options idenfication and initial design underway]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Different technology, which is just emerging, so not in use 'all over Europe'. If you read the info in the link you'll see that trackless trams have emerged from high-speed rail technology. Versions of trackless trams have been in development for almost 20 years, but in 2017 the Chinese Rail Corporation, CRRC, introduced an autonomously guided tram, a significant advance of the design and technology known as Autonomous Rapid Transit (ART).

I've been on the Belfast Flyers, they are simple low-floor bendy busses and you do get thrown around a bit on them.

A dedicated rapid transit lane without rails can be equally effective as a light-rail corridor if it's properly policed. For years London buses have been fitted with cameras and any other vehicles recorded on the bus camera are issued with a fine, which currently stands at £160, or £80 if you pay within 14 days. The result is no one dares go in a bus lane in London.

This is from a 2004 report '900 cameras on buses and 500 roadside cameras patrol the city’s 700 bus lanes, issuing 100,000 summonses each year'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Outside of being smoother which is not really a barrier to using transport what exactly will they do that the Flyer or similar in Europe can do for a passenger ?

It's all in the link I provided.

BTW, I'm not interested in discussing the pros and cons, I just posted a link to an emerging new Rapid Transit technology, which I thought might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I read the link and it provides nothing to suggest it does anything that the Flyer and other systems in Europe don't do. So I am asking you to explain what is so special about that to back up your claim that they are "not all over Europe"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

“Trackless trams” is an oxymoron. It’s always recommended that you go with established technologies not “Gadgetbahn” stuff which always comes with lots of hype.

I remember when Wesley Johnston was discussing on his NI Roads site the Belfast Glider and he presented the capital and running costs for bus and tram versions and then said that the bus had been chosen because the running costs were lower. I rolled my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Trackless trams is one of those "silicon valley reinventing the bus again" type statements.

It is a bus with tracks. It is suggested it mostly has its own road lanes (bus lanes), and it is articulated. Like the Belfast glider, but tracks instead of wheels.

It is not a good replacement for rail, light or otherwise. If you would consider carving out corridors for this autonomous bendy bus, you might as well go the whole hog and just put down rails. At least then you won't have to charge the bus at every stop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well Trolley buses were used in London from 1932 to 1862 to replace trams and were successful with fast acceleration and quieter than the trams they replaced and the then diesel buses. They carried 70 passengers rather than 52 passengers on the diesel buses. Currently Geneva operates trolley buses, and probably other cities.

Trolley buses run on rubber wheels and get power from dual o/h wires. Dedicated bus lanes would make them a very good alternative to trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Trolleybuses are more efficient than trams when you have to deal with steep gradients. And because there are no rails, they don't require underground services to be cleared along the route.

They're in a kind of halfway house between BRT and Light Rail in terms of cost, efficiency and capacity.

Our love of double-decker buses makes them a non-starter in Ireland, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

The tram leaving the airport in Geneve moves faster than most of our trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

Personally I think trolleybuses would be a good idea for high intensity routes than battery-powered buses. (Also, double decker buses can be powered by overhead wires).

That being said though, there is more wear and tear associated with large heavy road vehicles like buses. If Cork operated a BRT instead of an LRT, the route would become littered with potholes and would regularly have to be resurfaced. Just setting in a pair of tram tracks would solve this issue because all the weight of the tram would be on the rails. Also, something that often isn't considered is the fact trams have far larger capacity than buses. If you are building a high-intensity transport link serving densely populated areas, you need something that can carry a lot of people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The choice of vehicle could be battery powered bus or O/H powered vehicle such as a trolley bus or BRT articulated bus - which would be a rubber tyred tram. Cost, utility, capacity, flexibility of route, etc. would drive the choice.

Dedicated lanes would solve the pothole problem. Tracks require substantial foundations. The Luas required basements to be filled in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

One more thing about trackless trams - "charging at every stop" is plain stupid. What's your dwell time at a stop, like 30 seconds? Even for a lot of stops (say 30) that would only be 15 minutes of charging. That'd wouldn't be a significant amount of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dunno, i saw it in seville , there are sections of yhe route with no overhead wires , and sections with wires only over the stops, , i assume there are fully wired sections out of the city centre , buy i didn't see those,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think what you were looking at was a trolleybus system with some wire-free sections. The buses can still charge while on the move, but just not in certain areas. Adding higher capacity batteries has made trolleybuses a lot more flexible in cities that already had them, as now the buses can go further in areas without overhead power (all trolleybuses have had batteries since the beginning, the big change now is being able to use lightweight lithium batteries).

The "trackless tram" and electric bus systems are different: they have no overhead chaging at all between stops and rely on static charging at stops, which is a lot less reliable. It also means that they are running off battery 100% of the time which decreases the operational life of the batteries; an overhead-powered bus will only be running off battery for the short sections where there's no overhead lines - everywhere else, the overhead power is driving the bus and topping up its battery, if needed.

What i saw was definitely a tram , looked like a luas actually ( most light rail does) ran on steel tracks ,

Just googled it , caf urbo 2 , technically a light metro,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This system use to have overhead wires, but now they have replaced it by a combination of super-capacitors and lithium batteries, charged from overhead at stops.

It is worth noting that the line is only 2km long! It has just 4 trams and 5 stops. So I don't think this would translate to a a much longer tram in Cork. (Of course Seville has a Metro system too).

EV double decker buses are now on the roads of Dublin, so no chance of Trolleybuses system being built anywhere in Ireland now. Why go to the expense and planning objections of OHL for a trolleybus, when EV buses are now available and avoid those issues.

I've no doubt that the options for Cork are either regular tram like Luas or EV BRT if they decide to cheap out.

That's correct. The Saville system has overhead wires in the suburbs but wireless in the city center. At each stop in the city, the pantograph rises to make contact with a power supply for a shot of charge while the passengers are getting on and off, there is no delay at the stop for charging.

The above system makes for an excellent mix of power supply which obviated the need to deface their beautiful city center with overhead cables.

bk wrote 'EV double decker buses are now on the roads of Dublin, so no chance of Trolleybuses system being built anywhere in Ireland now. '

They are hybrid not 100% EV's, see here https://www.transportforireland.ie/news/nta-launches-hybrid-buses-for-dublin-and-galway-city-services/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Those are older buses, the latest buses bought this year are full EV. 120 full EV buses coming this year, a total of 421 are on order, with a framework to buy 800 of them!

Basically all new buses bought for DB and BE city services since last year are full EV and will continue to be going forward.

They are Wrights Streetdeck Electroliner BEV, they are called the class EW with Dublin Bus and EWD with Bus Eireann. They have 340 kWh batteries.

BTW These buses have already been operating on my local route here in Dublin for a couple of months now, I've been on them frequently!

So it would be hard to justify trolley buses with so many BEV buses hitting the streets now.

• Advertisement

I should also add that there are about 100 or so full battery electric single decker buses coming soon. They already operating the new bus service in Ahtlone (100% Electric service) and coming to Dublin soon with the new O orbital route.

It will only be a matter of time before both these single and Double Deckers end up operating in Cork on BE's regular city service.

There is no free lunch: EV buses are more expensive, less energy efficient, slower, and have a shorter working life than trolleybuses.

Against that, the need for OHLE installation for trolleybuses would completely rule them out here in Ireland... unless you were to run the buses along some of the same streets as on-street Luas. Otherwise, it's a lot of costs, and one more thing for the NIMBYs to go after as "spoiling the view". They were a handy way for cities to reuse existing on-road tram infrastructure, but up here we just threw everything away when we closed the tramlines in Cork and Dublin.

I assume those tracks are 1.6 m gauge so might as well be binned. Luas is 4 ft 8 and half inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Article about the Seville (in sections) battery powered trams. Apparently, they used to have to disassemble the overhead lines every year for the Easter parade. Seems like a practical solution in particular sensitive situations. The system appears very similar to LUAS otherwise, down to the exact same 'ding ding' warning chime.

The really nice thing about Luas and one of the major reasons for its success is how standardised it is. It uses probably the most successful Tram models, the Alstom Citadis which has been highly successful and is used in like 50 cities across Europe. But even more than that everything about it is very standard, standard gauge, 750v DC OHL, etc. so would be easy to buy new trams from different manufacturers if needed.

This has made it so easy to buy new trams, extend them, maintain them, etc.

It is a breath of fresh air from the weird quirks of the rest of our public transport system, that makes buying and maintaining it difficult. Just look at how much trouble it was to get a couple of extra ICR carriages! Irish garage rail, our own unique signalling system, incompatible with NI, etc. Double decker buses that are hard to electrify, while mainland Europe uses single deckers, etc.

In my mind if we want to have a decent system in Cork it has to be Luas. It is tried and tested in Dublin and Cork sized cities all over Europe use exactly that system, it was pretty much designed for that.

Other weird quirky systems would just end up being inferior and likely end up more trouble in the long term.

If they aren’t willing to pay for Luas, then it will just end up a EV BRT, like an EV version of the glider buses in Belfast and yes, that would be far inferior.

Kris, yes, there are trade offs of EV buses versus trolley buses, but clearly with 800 EV bus order, we are going all in on EV buses. And it makes sense, there is no way we could afford and deal with the public blowback of trying to put up hundreds of kilometres of OHL across Dublin and Cork for trolley bus, that just isn’t realistic. Much easier to just convert the Diesel buses to EV buses, even though it does have challenges.

Battery capacity is expanding quickly and prices dropping quickly, I expect to see Diesel buses all across Europe being replaced by BEV buses.

A few sudays ago i Saw an older cyclist get his bike wheel stuck in the track in blackrock , hit rhe ground fairly hard - apparently not uncommon

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Reply to Sam Russel post.

They're a piece of Victorian history, more likely an imperial measurement.

They were uncovered during a public realm improvement project and restored as a piece of the Cork tram network history, not to form part of any future tram network 😀

@bk I completely agree. Nothing other than BEV buses is practical for us here.

Double deck buses make overhead electricity really difficult to use. Actually, just wait long enough and I'm sure someone will probably use that fact as an objection against Cork Luas (despite the relatively small number of 2-deck buses in the city, and the fact that Cork Luas is probably dead anyway).

If Dublin had a more extensive Luas on-street network in the city, then BEV trolleybuses could be used for in- motion charging on shared streets, but then, if Dublin has a more extensive Luas network in the city centre, buses of any kind would become rare in the centre, solving the problem a different way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm hearing from the NTA(possible bias) that Cork City Council is 'hostile' to the project and is engaging in obfusticating tactics, i.e. going back over agreed points, moaning about parking revenue, moaning about road space, moaning about construction disruption, moaning about their role in project delivery etc. to the point that the NTA has more less thrown in the towel, and will move resources to other projects.

The NTA has increasingly taken a 'pick your battles' position, long fingerings things that they don't feel are winnable in the short term e.g. the south end of metro link and DART+Coastal south.

The council is also doing its best to scupper bus connects Cork.

Advertisement