Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has coffee spawned a new generation?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Flimpson wrote: »
    Irish brand of tea i guess.

Speaking of which, I was drinking Barrys tea over Christmas at my mother's as that's the only brand she has. Jeez twas terrible stuff - weak as water (and I let it brew until it was tepid). Lyons is SO much nicer imo.

I'm a Lyons fan too, is it a Dublin and outside Dublin thing? I now live outside Dublin and think most people drink Barrys.

Also, there is a particular taste to Irish brand teas that you don't get abroad. Nearest I could get abroad was a tea called Orange Pekoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thing is, and I'm by no means a coffee snob, but if you order a black coffee in Starbucks it really lays bare just how ****e their coffee is. Adding all that other sugary crap to it is the only way that people can drink it.

Yip, their beans are awful. I was in with a friend before xmas and they had an offer of a bag of their inhouse beans for €1 with any purchase. So I thought why not for €1. The beans disintegrate in the grinder, I've never seen that before. Awful rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I like coffee. And coffee cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pilly wrote: »
    I'm a Lyons fan too, is it a Dublin and outside Dublin thing? I now live outside Dublin and think most people drink Barrys.

Also, there is a particular taste to Irish brand teas that you don't get abroad. Nearest I could get abroad was a tea called Orange Pekoe.
    One day it will be revealed that Lyons and barrys are in fact the same product. Oh how I will laugh.

One day it will be revealed that Lyons and barrys are in fact the same product. Oh how I will laugh.

Ah they're definitely not, I can tell the difference even without being told which it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I like coffee. And coffee cake.

Coffee cake is the indisputable king of the cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Only of it does not have crushed wallnuts in it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is probably a whole new thread, but the latest trend in making cheesecake out of your favorite confectionaries trumps coffee cake.

.......and almond fingers.

The one thing that annoys me about the coffee trend and coffee shops popping up everywhere is that they still haven't come up with an alternative to a crusty J-Cloth to wipe down the steamer yoke with.
    Surely there is a health and safety issue with re-using a rag constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭RayCon

Hard to know what it tastes like as it's akin to pouring lava into your mouth.

Any time I get a coffee in McDonalds - just before they pop the lid on , I ask them to drop 2-3 ice cubes in ..... that way I can drinking it straight away without losing the lining of my mouth and melting my teeth or waiting 30mins til the fcukin thing becomes tolerable to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This would be me ordering coffee. Just give me a poxy big cup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had coffee cheese a few years ago. It was cheddar that had been covered in coffee grounds and allowed to sit for a few months. Think of it like edam but with coffee grounds instead of wax.

It was delicious. It was so strong it made my eyes water.

It's strange to think that in an Irish supermarket our cheese section is essentially cheddar. Yet it's so hard to find a really strong vintage cheddar.
    This was brought over by a friend in the states. I've never seen it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have a cafetiere at home. Is the next step up a bean crusher worth a few hundred?

*Excluding those semi instant 'pod' machines.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I have a cafetiere at home. Is the next step up a bean crusher worth a few hundred?

*Excluding those semi instant 'pod' machines.

What's wrong with the pod machines? Just as a matter of interest because I thought of buying my son one at Christmas time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

RayCon wrote: »
    Any time I get a coffee in McDonalds - just before they pop the lid on , I ask them to drop 2-3 ice cubes in ..... that way I can drinking it straight away without losing the lining of my mouth and melting my teeth or waiting 30mins til the fcukin thing becomes tolerable to drink.

That's actually genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Love a good coffee.. .I'm no snob about it...drink whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's wrong with the pod machines? Just as a matter of interest because I thought of buying my son one at Christmas time.

Noooooo.... get him an aeropress, good beans and a grinder (if it's just for himself).
    Although if he's a busy man and doesn't care much for 'being a hipster' then ya pod all the way.
    Keep in mind the quantities of pods at tiny so it's all about fancy labels and buying into George Clooney's lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It depends how much coffee you drink. We calculated we got the cost of bean to cup machine (delonghi perfecta) back inside of a year in comparison to using coffee pods. We calculated it for grinding Illy beans.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Noooooo.... get him an aeropress, good beans and a grinder (if it's just for himself).
    Although if he's a busy man and doesn't care much for 'being a hipster' then ya pod all the way.
    Keep in mind the quantities of pods at tiny so it's all about fancy labels and buying into George Clooney's lifestyle.

Yeah, I can't see him taking all that trouble to make a coffee to be honest. He loves coffee but normally buys it somewhere, doesn't really make it at home. He's not snobby or fussy about it either.

Gebgbegb wrote: »

I have both. The pods are amazing first thing in the morning. Push a button and have an espresso 42 seconds later (yes, I timed it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

tay all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Grayson wrote: »
    I had coffee cheese a few years ago. It was cheddar that had been covered in coffee grounds and allowed to sit for a few months. Think of it like edam but with coffee grounds instead of wax.

It was delicious. It was so strong it made my eyes water.

It's strange to think that in an Irish supermarket our cheese section is essentially cheddar. Yet it's so hard to find a really strong vintage cheddar.
    This was brought over by a friend in the states. I've never seen it here.

M&S sell a great cheddar called Cornish Cruncher strong enough to make you sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭RoboRat

We used to have a big steel electric coffee percolator back in the 80's. It was dusted off every Sunday after the big roast and it would take about 15 mins to make the coffee, then it would take a further hour to clean all the various filters and compartments.... it was worth it though for the Robert Roberts coffee.

I don't associate nice coffee with the states, France/ Italy definitely. I don't think it's a snobbish thing either... back in the 70's it was meat and 2 veg every night or a stew or coddle and Sunday Roast.... now dinners are Tikka/ Rogan Josh, Mousakka, Tagines, Lasagne, Beef Bourguignon, Risotto etc. It's the worldly influence on Ireland and it's a great thing, just like craft beers which may be hipster, but are far nicer than mass produced Buttwater and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

As touched upon since, it's just the quantity that wouldn't suit me. They're very good machines though, especially for a quickie.

So how much for a decent Bean Crusher 5000? Are we talking hundreds? I might just stick with my cafetiere if so, unless there is a vast difference in taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Absolutely nothing wrong with them. I've a Lavazza one at home and it's better than a lot of the coffee you'd be served up for €2.50+ in a cafe. The pods are more widely available than Nespresso and it probably costs about 50c a cup. The main advantage of the machine is that it's extremely low maintenance. Take two minutes to empty it and give it a quick scrub once a week.

At 50c per pod would be about 15 euro per week for me considering the amount of coffee I drink. 500g bag of Lavazza is 15 euro in Tesco. I think it should last at least 3 weeks with others occasionally using it. So about thirty euro saving every three weeks if using Lavazza coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually those that you are listing there are more fast food of coffee world. More crap people order in coffee (outside dash of milk, sugar) more likely they don't like coffee and want just something that is basically a desert (and has calories to match).

Could you ..uh...run that past me again ?

Could you ..uh...run that past me again ?

Processed, high on sugar and fat. This is first link I found but Starbucks are not only offenders.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12846402/3/ranked-the-10-highest-calorie-drinks-at-starbucks.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

meeeeh wrote: »
    Processed, high on sugar and fat. This is first link I found but Starbucks are not only offenders.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12846402/3/ranked-the-10-highest-calorie-drinks-at-starbucks.html

Uh...yes...but whats the point you are failing to make ...this thread is about the new generation of coffee aficionados. ?

:confused:

I saw this a while back. Looks nuts. I'd love one but it's pricy and I don't think I'd use it that much.

http://www.bodum.com/ie/en/coffee/coffee-makers/1208

• Advertisement

Uh...yes...but whats the point you are failing to make ...this thread is about the new generation of coffee aficionados. ?

:confused:
    Yes but flavoured coffee and similar you were listing aren't exactly new trendy stuff, they are Starbucks stuff.

Advertisement