Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has coffee spawned a new generation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sure you can't beat a nice strong cup of cha. Much more refreshing than coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where do people get the idea that Coffee is American?

I associate more with Italy and Ethiopia.

Americano is so name because [uncle albert voice] during the war [/uncle albert voice] Americans couldn't handle the strength of the espresso the Italians were serving so they added water to weaken it.

There's only one starbucks in Italy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Americano is so name because [uncle albert voice] during the war [/uncle albert voice] Americans couldn't handle the strength of the espresso the Italians were serving so they added water to weaken it.

There's only one starbucks in Italy I think.

I think it's an urban myth to be honest.

Either way, American filter coffee is awful stuff, made very weak and watery.

Starbucks is a definite upgrade on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I love my coffee! I wouldn't be a coffee snob but I really appreciate great coffee which can be hard to get. I normaly drink Americano or double expresso. I'd prefer to meet people for a coffee then go to the pub these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Worst of all were the knobs who infested Starbucks with their lappys and earpeices spending hours using the free wi-fi.

I must be one of the few people left in Ireland who has never set foot in starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

TEA you heathen swine. How dare you abandon the beverage that made us who we are. *Beats them back from the nespresso with the Child of Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think it's an urban myth to be honest.

Either way, American filter coffee is awful stuff, made very weak and watery.

Starbucks is a definite upgrade on that.

I could welk be a myth but ameroicano wouldn't be very common coffee in Italy. At least not as far as I know.

I'm also not a fan of light roasts and I like my coffee pretty strong and bitter (like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Coffee fuelled The Enlightenment. It's a wonder drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

From about the age of 9 or 10 i was drinking up to 10 cups of coffee a day. Absolutely loved the stuff. Now caffeine feels like a poison to me. I haven't had a cup of coffee in years. Even the decaff coffee doesn't really agree with my system. I do miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I love coffee. I'd rather meet for a coffee than for a drink.

But im an americano gal. None of this this non fat half foam triple vanilla soy mocha choco latte crap.

I only drink espresso.

The way you look at the half caf, mochachino crowd, that's how I look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't drink coffee, the wife doesn't (usually) so we normally have a jar of whatever we picked up in the store lying around for coffee folks. There's always a few that ask what it is and I tell them "some fancy stuff from that quaint coffee shop on the corner", they never say it tastes bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got into my coffee over the last couple of years. You can't beat a foamy cappuccino. It has a similar effect on me as that first slug of a cold pint of guinness after a long day.

Wanted to make decent tasty beverages at home but the big expensive machines are just too much work, and.......too expensive. So got a Tassimo espresso machine last year to which I add my own milk from a french press. Now I've gone up in the world and got a Nespresso for Christmas. I can make a mean latte or cappuccino these days.

It's the little things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If you go to Italy it's only about a euro for a small shot of coffee with some hot milk, off the main tourist areas. Coffee chains are very expensive. I got a Costa Coffee and it was nearly five euros even though it was large.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anyone have some tips for me for coffee.

I have beans.. from a packet.. and I grind them.. and I put them into a quarter of the french press full of not-really-boiling water.. and then I wait a bit then stir it then press down the yoke.

I don't put milk or sugar in it

so any tips

anyone have some tips for me for coffee.

I have beans.. from a packet.. and I grind them.. and I put them into a quarter of the french press full of not-really-boiling water.. and then I wait a bit then stir it then press down the yoke.

I don't put milk or sugar in it

so any tips

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=929

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If I'm making coffee at home and I get a drop in my hands, I like to rub it all over my face.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yes, it is an american style drinking of coffee but I don't see the issue with it. Take away coffee is convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm quite fond of my morning latte when I get to the office. Strangely though at home I can take it or leave it.

As someone else said as well I'd prefer to meet for a coffee/lunch/dinner than drinking. Not just because I'm usually driving anyway, but at least ya can actually have a conversation as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

FLORAL AND FRUITY WASHED ETHIOPIAN COFFEE. A BOUQUET OF RED BERRIES IS FOLLOWED BY COFFEE BLOSSOM, JASMINE AND SWEET PEACH FLAVOURS.
    ENJOY THE SWEET VANILLA AROMA AS WELL AS WHITE GRAPE AND LEMONY FRESHNESS IN THIS WASHED LOT FROM FINCA NUEVA ARMENIA.
    EXQUISITE COFFEE FROM LA PAZ IN HONDURAS. A SWEET FRUITY EXPERIENCE, WITH ORANGE, APRICOT AND SUMPTUOUS MUSCOVADO SUGAR NOTES.

Are some of the flavour profiles from the coffee I drink. I wish I could stomach the instant crap but the body says no. It's not cheap but a bag for a €10 would last 8 days or so and just the one cup a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Don't drink it, never have, I HATE the smell of it, don't judge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was in my teens in the 80's and we regularly "went for coffee" .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Crea wrote: »
    I was in my teens in the 80's and we regularly "went for coffee" .

Is that a euphemism?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Where do people get the idea that Coffee is American?

I associate more with Italy and Ethiopia.

Had someone who travelled to Ethiopia bring me back coffee and it was amazing. Huge coffee culture there apparently.
    Yes I think coffee originated in East Africa.

It was introduced to Europe after the Siege of Vienna in 1600's when the 'Europeans' (mainly Poles and Swedes I think) repelled the Ottoman march through Europe.

The Ottomans left behind tons of coffee which the Viennese started their famous coffee houses.

The Ottomans also left behind strange crescent shaped pastries which became known as Croissantes.

So Im told anyway ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Daily takeaway coffee and subscription to Sky equates to 8 years as a desk jockey on the work treadmill. I have the article with numbers.
    Is it really worth it?

Out of interest. how much it takeaway coffee there? In central Killarney it is well over E2 but at the garage further out, E1.20

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone else think coffee in Ireland has improved with the huge influx of coffee drinking Americans who come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My parents used to drink Turkish coffee at home or at least bastardised version of it. Personally I hate it but it would be very popular where I come from. Anyway home espresso machine and mum's sensitive stomach put an end to that. Italian way of drinking coffee would be by far my preferred option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I went from "any coffee is fine" to Americanos then got into espresso. Espresso was my coffee of choice for a number of years, however I was decidedly drinking too much so changed back to Americanos

What I noticed with Americanos is the lack of consistency across the board, what I mean is that some are far too watery and the coffee is barely tasteable. A good Americano, hard to come by, maintains a strong flavour from the coffee and holds this coffee "cream" on the surface.

Where available, I order filter coffee these days - there is just so much more to coffee drinking than the kick when it comes to filter coffee; there is a fantastic flavour spectrum available and almost seems to be like wine or tea in the variety. In a Starbucks the filter coffee is the best choice. Pret a Manger in the U.K. have a cup of filter coffee for 99p, I really wish it was like that here though I do notice that there is a misconception about filter coffee which means that it can sometimes be as cheap as an espresso - fools!

Advertisement