Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has coffee spawned a new generation?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I hope everyone realises that this thread is one beautiful paen to Michael McDowell, bringer of Coffee Cult(ure) to Ireland.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Anyone else fall in love with mcdonalds coffee or am i just too cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I just had a far off childhood memory of the parent's drinking mellow bird something or other.

All I remember is that I hated the taste of it, saying that, as an adult I'm a huge coffee fan.. could drink bewleys gold roast all day long.

In fact I'm drinking one right now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

moloner4 wrote: »

I hear it's good but my inner pretentious twat won't try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does drinking a cup of strong coffee make anyone else need to go for a sh*te?

It stimulates the stomach which can cause pressure further down. As someone else mentioned so does nicotine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Crea wrote: »
    I was in my teens in the 80's and we regularly "went for coffee" .

Is that what they called it then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Just wait until 3rd wave coffee hits Ireland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_of_coffee

Getting your water, espresso and milk in separate glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just wait until 3rd wave coffee hits Ireland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_of_coffee

Getting your water, espresso and milk in separate glasses...

I would think it's already here. I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Toffee Latte ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Now you have Chai Thai Mai skinnies and all this caper.

All this caper?
    Toffee Latte ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

For me the "Coffee Revolution" was seeing loads of 20/30 something women in long black coats hurrying along to somewhere in the IFSC clutching a take away coffee.

I'm sure there was plenty of coffee in whatever office they were going to but the notion of "grabbing a coffee" was beginning to take hold.

The coffee shops began to big up their products "served by skilled Baristas" who in reality were Emma and Jane with a few Hours training.

Worst of all were the knobs who infested Starbucks with their lappys and earpeices spending hours using the free wi-fi.

But hey that's marketing for you -- put about a certain mystique and faux sophistication around a very mundane product and Paddy and Mary will pony up a few extra shillings.

They are doing the same thing with "craft" beer.........
    I think you're over-thinking it. A lot of people just like coffee, no more mystery to it. Caffeine has addictive properties after all. Things just catch on - always have done, coffee being one of them. Barista/filter/ground/whatever coffee is usually nicer than instant coffee so that's what the coffee-grabbing thing came from.

I just have one coffee a day - in the morning. Instant coffee if at home. Love the sensation of a coffee first thing. People give out about those who say "I can't start the day without a coffee" and I know it's melodrama, but I do really miss my morning coffee on the rare occasions I don't get a chance to buy one. It's just habit of course - I can function perfectly fine without it.

I love tea too. I drink more of it overall than coffee. I wouldn't even consider Starbucks coffee - it's awful stuff. Costa is considered awful by purists but I think it's fine - certainly a lot better than S'bucks.

Does anyone drink that coffee made from shyte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Hard to know what it tastes like as it's akin to pouring lava into your mouth.

Flimpson wrote: »

Mmmmm. Appetising!

A 2005 study at the Uni of Scranton in Pennsylvania found that brewed coffee is the number 1 source of antioxidants for Americans, volumes ahead of other dietary sources. It's also got other health benefits including reducing your risk of diabetes by up to 50%, and has been linked to a risk reduction in some cancers, including rectal and colon cancer (more research needed).

However, there are substances in coffee (kahweol and cafestol) which raise cholesterol and so filtered coffee is better than non-filtered as paper filters capture these substances.

I still prefer tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I only agree to pick people up if there's also a Toblerone in it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I live in San Francisco, which is ground zero for pretentious hipster coffee shops.
    *Organically harvested from the rain forests of French Guiana, flavored with cinnamon, walnut shavings and artisanal guano, $10.50 a cup*

And that's the only thing I have to add to this thread because I don't drink coffee. I'm a tea girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    All this caper?

Toffee lattes are nice, it's Maccy D's so you get what you pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Flimpson wrote: »
    I think you're over-thinking it. A lot of people just like coffee, no more mystery to it. Caffeine has addictive properties after all. Things just catch on - always have done, coffee being one of them. Barista/filter/ground/whatever coffee is usually nicer than instant coffee so that's what the coffee-grabbing thing came from.

Just casual observation to be honest and some admiration of the power of marketing....yearning for the good old days I guess.
    Like how did we go so quickly from a cuppa in a stained chipped china cup at "elevenses" to chai,skinny,skimmed,flavoured whatevers served by Baristas in trendy coffee bars?

That and a "place" in Spain / Portugal / Turkey etc were the product of the boom years...

That and Eircom shares....helicopters blocking out the sun at the Galway races and kickass SUV's driven by yummys with sun glasses on top of their heads and filled with snotty kids calling each other "Dude".

Ah! Lookit ! Dem was de daze !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerryb10

Tigger wrote: »
    I live in
    Sligo
    Which is as backwards as you can get and we've been drinking decent espresso since I was in college in the mid 90s
    That's over 20 years ago t

Had a good laugh at this! Fellow Sligonian.

• Advertisement

Just casual observation to be honest and some admiration of the power of marketing....yearning for the good old days I guess.
    Like how did we go so quickly from a cuppa in a stained chipped china cup at "elevenses" to chai,skinny,skimmed,flavoured whatevers served by Baristas in trendy coffee bars?
    !
    Actually those that you are listing there are more fast food of coffee world. More crap people order in coffee (outside dash of milk, sugar) more likely they don't like coffee and want just something that is basically a desert (and has calories to match).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Buddy of mine made an interesting point this x mass. I like good black coffee. A lot of people in coffee shops order choco mocha latte grande type stuff. In a sense they like a sugary/milky hot drink that completely masks the taste of the coffee. No issue with that but its not really coffee. First time in star bucks a few years ago I asked for a black coffee and I just got odd looks from him. "Grande, latte, monica lewinsky?" No just black coffee please.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing is, and I'm by no means a coffee snob, but if you order a black coffee in Starbucks it really lays bare just how ****e their coffee is. Adding all that other sugary crap to it is the only way that people can drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I was offered some Roses (the sweets) the other day and took the green one, thinking it was praline or noisette or something like that. It was the coffee one! Absolutely disgusting!!

Ha.. you should try this
    (does not translate to the picture on the wrapper BTW)..
    FERRERO_POCKET_COFFEE_x5_SW019.JPG
    it's the dark side to their 'Ferrero Rocher' offering

Thing is, and I'm by no means a coffee snob, but if you order a black coffee in Starbucks it really lays bare just how ****e their coffee is. Adding all that other sugary crap to it is the only way that people can drink it.

But why would you go to Starbucks if you don't like their coffee. It's not like they are the only place selling coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Saw a witty cartoon from Graeme Keyes in the Phoenix once.
    It had Kofi Anan UN Secretary General at the time ,greeting Mary Robinson

"Kofi"-as he puts out his hand
    "Why yes two sugars and a drop of milk thanks "-Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

meeeeh wrote: »
    But why would you go to Starbucks if you don't like their coffee. It's not like they are the only place selling coffee.

I wouldn't. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

When I first started drinking coffee in my teens (about 12 years ago) it was still seen as posh/middle class drink and was usually horribly instant ****e. Remember the first time I "came out" as a coffee drinker to my extended family I was met with sarcastic "wooooooos" Now most of drink coffee as well.

I was in New York a few years back and I was surprised how bad their coffee was. Most cafes sold drip coffee but even places that did espresso based drinks tasted weaker to me. I think our taste in coffee is more influenced by Europe than the US

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Always found that one odd... "Irish tea".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Always found that one odd... "Irish tea".
    Irish brand of tea i guess.

Speaking of which, I was drinking Barrys tea over Christmas at my mother's as that's the only brand she has. Jeez twas terrible stuff - weak as water (and I let it brew until it was tepid). Lyons is SO much nicer imo.

Advertisement