Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has coffee spawned a new generation?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Starbucks filter coffee is the worst taste known to man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Arghus wrote: »
    Coffee often is like manna from heaven first thing in the morning. I often wonder about people who say they don't like it. Who can walk past a cafe and smell that beautiful stink and say to themselves that it isn't for them?

The smell of coffee is lovely, the taste is not. Easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know about filter coffee but I really don't like the taste of their espresso. Normally I will be perfectly happy with bog standard Lavazza, Illy or whatever else as long as it's properly made but Starbucks is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OldGoat wrote: »
    Pft! Bewley's Cafe, established circa 1900. I have been meeting people in there for coffee since the 70's. :)
    Was chatting with someone involved in the recent renovation and they mentioned that while doing it they found a menu from the twenties behind some wallpaper. Apparently the variety of different teas and blends they served back then would put the most hipster of modern cafés to shame!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Sleepy wrote: »
    Was chatting with someone involved in the recent renovation and they mentioned that while doing it they found a menu from the twenties behind some wallpaper. Apparently the variety of different teas and blends they served back then would put the most hipster of modern cafés to shame!

Yeah I would of thought Bewleys was more about tea than coffee back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Have we become Americanised in our thinking or was it an inevitable road to discovery us beginning to understand coffee?

Even though everything relating to coffee is in Italian, it's still referred to as an American thing. :D

American's just globalised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

http://janegoodall.ca/get-involved/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Whats-in-your-cup.png

Every cup you have kills more Rainforest, Yiz are all murdering the planet with each sup.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

trying to quite caffeine. spending too much on coffees and it makes me jittery. must leave thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

listermint wrote: »
    Every cup you have kills more Rainforest, Yiz are all murdering the planet with each sup.
    :cool:

I'll murder a person if I don't have a sup.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I just like tea :)

Me too!

My friend when he sees me putting sugar in tea: "Urgh, how can you do that? You're just tasting sugar then, you don't like tea!"

So the next time I made him coffee, I asked if he wanted sugar in. He said yes. Well, you can see where this is going but I got my own back anyway and neatly demonstrated his hypocrisy! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Starbucks isn't coffee. It's milk/syrup/cream that contains just enough coffee that it can be classed as a coffee-type drink.

I have one coffee in the morning to get me started, then it's tea, tea, tea, all the live-long day. I love tea, I have a mug every couple of hours. I can't tell the difference between most coffees, either I have ignorant tastebuds or I just haven't developed the taste for it.

One time I bought coffee billed as Rocket Fuel and had it first thing in the morning. It was super-super-super caffeinated, and I was like a Tasmanian Devil on speed for most of the morning at work. I could even hear myself talking faster than usual, I couldn't slow down. Some might see that as an advantage, mind.

dudara wrote: »
    I must admit that I don't like the current trends in coffee roasting. The lighter roasts that are in vogue have a flavour that I don't personally like.

I don't like coffee and I've really, really tried to but interestingly, I am interested to try these lighter roasts as they are supposed to be a totally different flavour. Maybe this is a coffee flavour I might actually like? What I don't like about the traditional coffees is the roasted flavour, it just tastes wrong to me. Maybe a lighter taste might go be more to my taste? I love caffeine so anything to get more of it into my body! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Is it just me or does drinking a cup of strong coffee make anyone else need to go for a sh*te?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Glenster wrote: »
    I only drink espresso.

The way you look at the half caf, mochachino crowd, that's how I look at you.

Snob :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

FTA69 wrote:
    Is it just me or does drinking a cup of strong coffee make anyone else need to go for a sh*te?

I'm pretty sure this is the reason many people drink it first thing in the morning rather than any stimulant effect or taste.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

FTA69 wrote: »

Try a strong coffee and a red marlboro. Some people think that cowboys walked in a bow legged manner from riding horses.
    Not true, it's from how they stradeled the jacks after their morning brew and tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Azera is the only instant that tastes ok.

But you can get a French press for a tenner and make it from grounds, and it will be only 5 minutes for a better taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone else think coffee in Ireland has improved with the huge influx of coffee drinking Americans who come here?

No as good coffee has nothing to do with America. Coffee is bad there.

Do you really think that businesses open coffee shops here for American tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Caliden wrote: »
    Starbucks isn't coffee. It's milk/syrup/cream that contains just enough coffee that it can be classed as a coffee-type drink.

Well in fairness if you're putting that much stuff into your coffee then you're not really going to taste coffee are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

osarusan wrote: »

But you can get a French press for a tenner and make it from grounds, and it will be only 5 minutes for a better taste.

And enjoy tiny flecks of ground coffee in your cup after the press has been used more than twice and doesn't seal properly anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I miss the smell of roasting coffee which used to come from Bewley's in Grafton Street. Ah, those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

osarusan wrote: »

Agreed. Coffee in the USA is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Agreed. Coffee in the USA is terrible.

This roaster knows what he is doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I love the scent but can't stand the taste.

My dad drinks black coffee normally but at the weekend if he is having some with breakfast, he adds two spoonfuls of coffee, one sugar and then just milk and he puts it in the microwave for about 2 and a half minutes. He takes it out and stirs it half way. He's been doing that for years and swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I hate coffee. Disgusting muck. I hate tea also. The amount of times I have said "No, I am sure I don't want any. Water will be fine" is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was offered some Roses (the sweets) the other day and took the green one, thinking it was praline or noisette or something like that. It was the coffee one! Absolutely disgusting!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

A job sent me to the American mid west a few years ago. The office had no milk, they put only cream into their coffee. What the f*ck is that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A cafe that was serving what we always called a milky coffee: in the 1990s it turned in to a Cappuccino.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I hope everyone realises that this thread is one beautiful paen to Michael McDowell, bringer of Coffee Cult(ure) to Ireland.

Advertisement