Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Is this real? €10,000 per square metre. No garden on these things.

http://myhome.ie/4168623

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

Zenify wrote: »

Of course its not real. It will probably go for 10-20% above the asking price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cozy! But with a Ber of G, not in a warm way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a 900 square foot cottage with a 100 square rear garden- in a very desireable location. Its been recently renovated and has a new gas fired central heating system. A few simple things- such as changing the light bulbs- could very well improve the BER- however, the certificate itself will spell out a prescription list on how to improve the property.

Given the location- and the fact that it is a 900 square foot 'cottage'- the asking price actually sounds reasonably conservative (given recent sales).

If I was recently retired, and looking for a pleasant property to downscale to- it would tick a lot of my boxes (though a few rolls of attic insulation would be among my first purchase).

I get it- it sounds expensive- but if you actually look at the advertisement in a semi-critical manner- its more reasonable than the headline price suggests.

Personally- if I was retiring and had 300k burning a hole in my pocket- I'd be buying the likes of this cottage- but in a nice Portuguese town- not Glasthule- though I can see how/why it would appeal to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Its a 900 square foot cottage with a 100 square rear garden- in a very desireable location.

I think you might be looking at another ad. The cottage is 30 m2 (323 sq. ft) with a 13m2 yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sarn wrote: »
    I think you might be looking at another ad. The cottage is 30 m2 (323 sq. ft) with a 13m2 yard.

Good god!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sarn wrote: »

Me bad- you're right! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Zulu wrote: »
    Cozy! But with a Ber of G, not in a warm way.

I think low bers are great.
    They frighten people away from bidding on the properties, so reduce your competition if you are bidding.
    And they mean nothing at all at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

it will be interested to see october-november daft report.
    You can see more and more rent ads staying online on daft for more than a week and even see some ads decreased the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KellyXX wrote: »
    I think low bers are great.
    They frighten people away from bidding on the properties, so reduce your competition if you are bidding.
    And they mean nothing at all at the end of the day.

Ireland's average annual temperature is just under 10 C. If you took the gold standard, a passive rated dwelling vs even my shack which has an insulated slab, insulated block walls, double glazing, loft insulation and apart from mandated vents, is air tight, the difference in heating costs would be about €60 K over 30 years.

The difference of course would be considerably more a building of similar size with a lower ber rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

They could easily have advertised that property for €325K if they taught about putting a planter box on the window, shame on the Estate Agent for not doing their job right.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Love the part where they mention "The property is within the catchment area for Harold’s National School."

That's great, but given as there's only a single bed in the place and no room for anything else, just where are the kids going to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if a house is advertised for say 200k, you,ll likely pay 20-40k to buy it.
    Its a sellers market, high demand, low supply of houses for sale.
    Maybe the agent puts that in every house for sale,
    this is near a school .
    You could buy a 1 bed house for 100k plus cheaper on the northside.
    low ber means you,ll have to spend some money on new insulation.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ireland's average annual temperature is just under 10 C. If you took the gold standard, a passive rated dwelling vs even my shack which has an insulated slab, insulated block walls, double glazing, loft insulation and apart from mandated vents, is air tight, the difference in heating costs would be about €60 K over 30 years.

The difference of course would be considerably more a building of similar size with a lower ber rating.

Difference of €60K worth of heating in 30 years.
    Jaysus I dont know what you are heating :)

Dont listen to the spin about BER, or you'll post stuff like you just did without even thinking about what you are saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Ireland's average annual temperature is just under 10 C.  If you took the gold standard, a passive rated dwelling vs even my shack which has an insulated slab, insulated block walls, double glazing, loft insulation and apart from mandated vents, is air tight, the difference in heating costs would be about €60 K over 30 years.

Dont listen to the spin about BER, or you'll post stuff like you just did without even thinking about what you are saying.
    Insulation does have an impact. For example Passive certification means a lot. The question is does BER precisely measure insulation quality. If the BER is as imprecise as claimed it would be an excellent topic for a research paper or Primetime episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Love the part where they mention "The property is within the catchment area for Harold’s National School."

That's great, but given as there's only a single bed in the place and no room for anything else, just where are the kids going to live?

Sounds like a great little house for a divorced father or a teacher that hates children.

robp wrote: »
    Insulation does have an impact. For example Passive certification means a lot. The question is does BER precisely measure insulation quality. If the BER is as imprecise as claimed it would be an excellent topic for a research paper or Primetime episode.

Indeed would make a great primetime episode.
    A system that has people thinking they will save 60k on heating for a better ber really needs to be exposed. Sure you can jump to the next level in ber by changing your lightbulbs, calling the assessor to come back and then putting the old light bulbs back in again when he leaves. Oh
    wait, it has been exposed, years ago. Google, over to you.
    BER is used to missell. Great when you know about it, but sucks if you don't.
    Ber should not be used as the major factor some think it is in figuring out what tomoay for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yeah BERs should not be taken literally but they are not completely useless though. If you look at a property which is in the Bs or Cs and another one which is F or G, the difference is not just from a few bulb changing tricks and it does give you an indication that one of them is better insulated than the other.

But yeah, looking at small differences such as a B2 and a C1 and thinking the B2 is necessarily better would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

A house on an exposed hillside with lovely views. :)

A passive rated house should have no need for heating, hence no cost, hence the difference.

• Advertisement

A house on an exposed hillside with lovely views. :)

A passive rated house should have no need for heating, hence no cost, hence the difference.

Keep telling yourself that your BER is worth 60K :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Thing is, I have a passive house and it works. Not just heating costs (think few 10's rather few 100's a month). Biggest advantage is comfort of a warm place all the time.

I'm renting a room in a boom era mansion and it's like I went back in time 100 years, a joke. The moment the heating is off it gets cold.

Having lived in a passive house I would never go back to non-passive house. It's definitely worth 60k extra to me. I would compare this to a man driving a golf and another one driving a Merc. There's a reason people pay more for these things.

One thing that I discovered recently is that ber a1 doesn't necessarily mean that the house has the heat recovery system, if so, then I agree, rating is a pure lie. Buyer beware.

Keep telling yourself that your BER is worth 60K :)

I wasn't, quite the opposite in fact, but you obviously have a bee in your bonnet so I'll leave you to your beliefs.

Thing is, I have a passive house and it works. Not just heating costs (think few 10's rather few 100's a month). Biggest advantage is comfort of a warm place all the time.

I'm renting a room in a boom era mansion and it's like I went back in time 100 years, a joke. The moment the heating is off it gets cold.

Having lived in a passive house I would never go back to non-passive house. It's definitely worth 60k extra to me. I would compare this to a man driving a golf and another one driving a Merc. There's a reason people pay more for these things.

One thing that I discovered recently is that ber a1 doesn't necessarily mean that the house has the heat recovery system, if so, then I agree, rating is a pure lie. Buyer beware.

Yes exactly - people who just look at whether they will recover the cost forget there is a comfort aspect as well.

I wasn't, quite the opposite in fact, but you obviously have a bee in your bonnet so I'll leave you to your beliefs.

I was being sarcastic. Note the smiley face. We all know how much stock to put in ber. Some people put more stock in them than they deserve.

can anyone guess why cso didn't published the october - november prices report?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Henbabani wrote: »

Haha are we thinking this is a huge conspiracy? Tin foil hat job???

Haha are we thinking this is a huge conspiracy? Tin foil hat job???
    actually i don't think there's any conspiracy, just interesting to see if what i saw happening on daft reflected in the report for october/november.

actually i don't think there's any conspiracy, just interesting to see if what i saw happening on daft reflected in the report for october/november.

What happened on daft?

• Advertisement

Maybe whoever does it is on a long leave and hasn’t handed it over to anyone else.

It will come at some point.

Advertisement