Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow the leader

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Your training indicates your in better shape G, TT’s and training group races are all we have at the minute but cannot replace the proper adrenaline from a real race where yer man in Clonliffe singlet is no way beating you. Keep at it, hopefully a proper race soon to show the endeavors or recent training.

Edit: D’oh I see it was the Mondello 10k, still not a proper race(By no means am i knocking Pop Up Races in any way, only for them there would be no racing still).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I've since gone on a bit of a race splurge.. I've entered a 10k in Carlow this Sat to go with my already purchased night of pbs entry for next Friday 31st.
    Hope to also enter the graded meet event for tallaght, entries open tomorrow.

July 10th
    Day after mondello so met up with some training buddies that couldn't make the race for a debrief..apart from a mad dash out of work to mke it on time, otherwise i felt fine
    5m@9.03pace
    July 12
    Was down in wexford on a weekend break with the family so rather than do a long run, I opted for a trail run..slieveboy trail, took bang on the hour , didn't get great views,there was mist/fog.. nice change of scenery tho and over 1000ft elevation.
    7.2m..

July 13th
    Short slow run before work, trying to squeeze in what I could.
    3.5m in 30min
    July 14th
    Track session of 500s..one of my favourite sessions, once I don't get too excited and hammer the first 100 before dying a death over the next 400!
    5x500 and pretty consistent with the timing.
    7.5miles for the session

July 15
    An easy hour b4work, nothing overally exciting about the mon/wed runs
    6.7m @8.24
    July 16th
    Some say hills give you strength, I didn't feel any stronger after these,although I did enjoy the session. One of those sessions were u start out not in great form but come home a new man!! Caught up with a clubmate for these.
    6x2min covering roughly 550m each rep or 6min mile pace..
    9.5m for session

July 18th
    Was down at the mobile home so travelled across to Duleek to do a short and sharp session.. 15min hard with the hope of hitting 4k in the timeframe.on unfamiliar territory but the session went well,found it tough going from 2.5-3.5km but pace never dropped off too much. Hit 4k bang on 15min Mark..
    So 3.45km for 15min
    8m total for session
    July 19th
    similar route to the day before only for extra added on.. 15mile at a relative easy pace although h.r strap read otherwise..that had my flatlining@190bpm for a long period!!
    15m@8.34avg
    Pm short easy run before putting the kids to bed..3.5m@8.33
    July 20
    10k easy before work, h.r seemed back to normal@124avg and 8.42 avg pace

July 21
    4x1min with descending recoveries 3/2/1min.. aim to cover max distance each time.
    Have done this session a few times now and it never gets easier or I'm too dumb to learn. I always hit the first too hard before dying a painful death..first rep I hit 378m
    2nd 363 before hitting 350,340s..3rd rep is the killer or deal breaker I find..legs do be shot from previous attempts espicially if u have gone off too hard.
    6.5m total
    July 22
    Exact same as 20th!!! 10k @8.42 // h.r 122avg

July 25th
    Fighting cocks 10k I was pretty confident I'd improve on my recent time at mondello 39.57 as I heard this course was fast and favourable.. arrived in good time and got a short warm up and strides..once the race started I settled towards the back of a small pack..felt ok going through first 3km 3.53/3.54/3.55.. going up a long drag, certainly not steep , I began to get detached from the others,nothing major maybe 5-10sec,4.05 for km4..pulled it back to 3.58 as we began our 2nd loop ..not much improvement on pace as I fell further behind the group in front 3.56 ,then the legs suddenly went from me..a 4.00/4.12/4.14km followed as things went from bad to worse, a few people passed me over this 3k stretch, I felt like quitting, it was sticky and humid but I also knew I was borderline P.b with a fast last km to come..best described as it's like falling off a cliff!! Free falling.,over the last km it was easy to pick up pace but I felt it was too steep, afraid of going out of control and doing an injury, I was Happy to pick off a few runners. Not ideal trying to pick pple off whilst pulling up the handbrake!! Last km in 3.28 in an underwhelming time of 39.39!
    10m for the day

July 26th
    13.1m@8.33
    July 27th
    Taught I was doing an 800m predictor workout but made a mess if it!
    3x400 off 1min.. 72/71/71 for the 400s
    5.5m total

July 28th
    10x200m
    Sharp and pretty brutal with an even shorter rest period..managed to run 200s under 35sec. Bye the time I hit the 4th rep I'm already feeling the lactate build up..
    8miles for session
    July 30th
    4.7m@8.48pace
    July 31st
    Night of pbs
    When entering the race I had high hopes of maybe sneaking under 18mins on the track. Even before I arrived over to leixlip I was a beaten man, tired,just didn't fancy a battle and wanted an easy out..as for the race again I settled ok, went thru first 6 laps on pace or thereabouts but then the demons set in,if there was a jockey on board he would of pulled me up....I slowly found myself detached and in no man's land,counting down the laps. thankfully there wasn't many to go, sub 18 was well off but with a push I'd be close to 18.30.. a last lap of 1.20 secured a time of 18.22, which was 1 sec off my official 5k pb, for someone not wanting to fight or battle for a time I was pleasantly suprised I ran close to this time.
    Aug 1st
    60 min easy@8.32 pace

• Advertisement

2nd Aug
    A slow and cumbersome run taking in the p.park and surrounding areas
    9m@8.48
    4thAug
    Just some easy drills and strides..feeling good and excited about the upcoming race.
    5.4m@8.47
    5th Aug
    My first track meet.. entered the Dublin graded 800m d grade.. didn't know what to expect or how I'd fare..was really just hoping not to embarrass myself..got a small warm up and strides beforehand..watched the b grade before being called infield for the c/d grades.. as grade C gets called I find myself checking out the competition, last man standing!! Pretty soon c grade is over and our roll-call begins..I'm sharing lane 5.., another stride or 2 then I'm called to the start.. truthfully I ain't got a clue were I line up so I intentionally hesitate before following my lane partner to the start point...aim is to control the start without blowing up too soon..over the opening few meters I get I front of my lane partner but try not hammer the first 100,at the break I'm in about 6/7th position..thru 400m in 73 which is outside were I'd like to be and abit adrift of lead pack , I try increase the pace from 500 out and with 200 to go I try bridge the gap on the lads In front, i kick hard and finish strong, overtakeing 2 lads before the line..2.22 finish time and a massive adrenaline boost..short sharp and over in a flash...
    2mile Cool down
    5.5m total
    6th Aug
    30mins easy and the doms are unreal...
    7th Aug
    Another 800m race in Le Cheile and after a long day in work I didn't fancy this.. however I wanted to try improve on Weds time.. the race was due to start at 7.45 so iarrived over must after 7 to be told be ready to race from 7.30..collected the number, got a mile warm up, then some strides before we get called to start..i missed the races before as i was paniking to get myself ready..a few strides and i notice the legs were still quite sore from wed. I'm put in lane 8 alone, I over cook the start going through 200 in 32 and 2nd place, I'm conscious it's too hot for me so i ease off slightly, 2 lads I know sweep around me and put a few meters on me, go through 400 in 68-69'ish but I'm struggling..already working very hard. A group of 4 break away,
    from 4-600 I'm toiling at 600 I plan to kick but there's nothing to give, I'm adrift of the lead group and ahead of the chasing pack, no man's land..I again try kick but the legs are gone.. finish in 2.20.7 again an improvement and a p.b. with every race I'm learning, again another enjoyable experience although the legs felt tired.
    4m total
    8th Aug
    Legs felt battered...
    Groins, hips, adductors in ribbons..., I'm a firm believer speed kills!!!
    5.2m@9.04 pace
    Aug 9th
    Legs still not great but I arranged to meet a pal for his m.p session, since Ratoath h.m still hasn't been cancelled I taught it would do me good too to get a long run @pace in as well..
    Legs were still heavy and I originally set out to do 10k, struggled from 3-5miles, then came back around before pushing on to 7miles were I felt even better than before we started.. said I'd see out the session and go to 10 miles, 10th mile was a grind but managed 10m@6.44pace..
    14m total
    11th Aug
    Needed to take the Monday off as I was wrecked, Tues session was 6x200m and although it is probably my fav session I had to drag myself out the door to do it..went up to Abbottstown were I have it marked out on the main road to the Indoor arena..legs were still sore going Into the session..did my first stride In 18.2 so obviously not that bad.. after a few strides the brain switches to race mode and all pains seem to disappear..previous best's were 29 on the track, today I open out in 28, followed by 28 and again another 28, the epo must be workng!! Going through the 4th effort I begin to feel myself slow slightly, the effort levels are at the max, finishing in 29 the legs begin to tremble during the recovery I have a brief sit down, before grinding out the 5th in 29 and during the 6th rep the legs are shot before I hit 100m.. the final 100m never felt so long as I fall the wrong side of 30..after finishing the 6th rep I fall to the ground whailing like a seal struggling to catch my breath,hoping the ground will swallow me up..I've a 400m walk to put back my rock markers before beginning my cooldown.. I stop twice on the cooldown thinking I'm gonna get sick.. who ever thought 6x200m would be so tough!!, I didnt
    7m session

Aug 12th
    I met up with my lunchtime buddy and again the legs were in sh!t€..
    6.1 painful miles. I hated almost every minute.. just kept telling myself it would help me recover!!!
    6.1@9.10avg

Aug 13th
    6x1k off 1min..bit of a disaster of a session..rushed from work , skimped on the warm up, not enough fluids on a warm day.. my goose was cooked come the 3rd rep..was throwing in the towel after the 4th..definately quitting after the 5th , managed to complete the 6th..moral victory in all that!!
    wanted to run <3.40s..ran 3.43/3.39/3.39/3.45/3.42/3.53
    Over 10m total..
    Aug 15th
    4k t.t
    Another below par performance running 15:12, previous pb of 14.40
    Still pretty consistent splits 3.48/3.49/3.54/3.41 on a very windy sat. Morning..
    Ran the session at 8am with 2 others and I'm known to struggle on the early fast runs..
    7m total.
    Aug 16th
    2hours easy around Duleek and surrounding countryside.
    14.1@8.30avg
    Aug 17th
    An easy hour , in fact it was to be an easy week., off work for the week so taking some down time.
    7.15@8.50s
    Aug 18th
    7.66m@8.47s
    Aug 19th
    6.7m@8.54s
    Aug 21st
    4.4m@8.42s
    Aug 22
    10k@8.50s
    Aug 23rd
    A little break away with the family ,not so healthy eating and a few beers meant this was always going to be a blowout..
    A group of 4 met up to run some 6.50pace miles..I was blowing through my hoop before 2 miles..eased off at 4miles to 7m.m before upping it again to 6.45s for the final 2 miles..managed to complete 10miles@6.48avg.. the demons made themselves known early on but I was pleasantly surprised and happy that I was able to pick the pace back up.. sufferfest !!
    11.2m@7.15avg
    Aug 24th
    6.5m@8.37
    Aug 25th
    Adductors weren't too bad after Sunday's session so I tried some speed ..session was 300s which I enjoy so I was going to dial the pace back slightly.. ran between 57-53 for 5 reps and no sign of the injury reoccurring..
    5miles total
    Aug 26th
    Some easy miles, however once I got home and cooled down, I knew I had aggravated the injury..later that day I could barely squeeze the legs together.. even turning the leg was a struggle..obviously brought on by the speed work the day b4 as I was stiff starting out
    7m@8.37
    27th
    Trip to the physio..
    Damage not too bad but too soon to return to the fast stuff!! ,keep with the rehab..and do easy miles
    29th
    10.3m@9m.m
    30th
    Met up with some folk on the wip plan for some easy miles.. very enjoyable run with plenty of chats on a beautiful morning.. was getting a bit sore come the end tho..
    15m@8.30s

Advertisement