Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow the leader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

19/1
    Recovery run nice easy 4miles@8.22avg

20/1
    2mile easy (8m.m)run to park run then parkrun run at tempo pace(6.54),I felt good during the run and tried to finish fast until the lad in front slipped whilst trying to jump a puddle..happy with the effort
    5miles@7.30 avg
    21/1
    The first weekend of my p&d plan and 13miles w/8@m.p were on the agenda..I did this run with a group and the m.p section was mainly climbing a drag from Furze rd back through blanch village and beyond..
    13.2miles@7.40avg
    23/1
    Tempo Tuesday..
    An extension of the previous Tuesdays run, got a stitch after 4miles,I stopped briefly about 20 seconds, then tried to get going again.thankfully I recovered quite quickly and was back up to pace within the mile..
    6mile tempo@6.55avg...7m total for the night
    24/1
    Recovery
    3.2miles@8.23
    25/1
    General aerobic run, focus on keeping the heart rate down
    10.2miles@7.59avg h.r@142

27/1
    Parkrun@7.m.m pace, no drama this week and pace felt comfortable.
    28/1
    Back to my solo long run...wasnt as easy as I had imagined,felt like I sweated buckets and it was quite windy on the return leg.
    15miles@8.07avg h.r@138avg

I'll try resurrect this log as I'm still pounding the pavements..more of a lurker than typer..
    Brief update..
    Feb/March/April
    I continued following the p&d 12 week 55 mile plan for the Rotterdam marathon. I reckon I hit 85-90% of the plan. Not exactly sure as It was a few months ago. I do know that on both weekends of my 20 mile runs we had snow so I had to compromise with a mix of treadmill and outdoor running.
    I raced trim 10miler coming home in 68.46 which was a pb
    I used bohermeen half as a m.p run, avg 13miles @ 7.22,
    I then raced dunboyne 4miler as a tune up race 2 weeks before Rotterdam.
    For Rotterdam marathon target was 3.15,it is a well organised race, flat route,didn't mind drinking from cups as the sponges were a great addition.
    Anyhow the race went according to plan up until 23miles, it was a hot spring day and upon exiting a small park I was suffering in the heat. I decided to stop at a water station,(stopped for 1min) got going again and walked thru the next water station@25miles.. (30 sec stop)..after this stoppage I was able to pick things up slightly over the next km, before a final surge for the last km (4.10) to get me home in 3.15.39.. in hindsight I was gutted over the stoppages as I was on course to hit the target.. so close but yet so far!

Following on from Rotterdam
    May: avg weekly miles 32 total miles:141
    june: avg weekly miles 31 total miles:134
    I chipped away following McMillan best of 10k plan targeting dunshaughlin 10k, I entered the terenure 5miler in the meantime...i had high hopes of improving on my pb of 33.07.. can't remember much about the race but looking back over the Garmin I ran a disappointing 33.22..
    In the dunshaughlin 10k I was targeting 41.30 which would have been a 30-40sec pb... things went my way on the day and I came in in 40.57.
    Next followed the Clonee 10k 5 days later, hot off the heels of dunshaughlin, I had aspirations of further improvement on a slightly flatter course. After 2miles it was evident the lead was still in the legs, it was a hot evening and as much as I wanted to pb again so soon it was not to be, final result was 41.28 still a respectable effort and a feed of pizza and pints afterwards..

July: avg weekly miles. 35 total miles: 156
    August: avg weekly 47 total miles:208
    Sep :avg weekly miles 45.5 total:195miles
    July was kicked off with the Irish Runner 10mile and this was the beginnig of the Dcm training block. I used it as a long run jogging down to the start and doing 10@m.p
    I should mention I signed up for their coach plan when I entered Dcm..I wanted a change from p&d , something with a bit more midweek speed..while also keeping a midweek medium long run where possible.
    I then threw myself in to the Mullingar 10m, only deciding to enter on the morning of the race, and what a miserable morning it was!! Solo drive down, contemplated turning back, then will I race it, m.p or tempo?.. decided on the race option as I could always back track, glad I entered as I notched up another pb,68.13, didn't expect to pb but a great confidence booster.
    No races during the month of August, just putting the head down and targeting the ratoath half marathon on Sept 8th. Tried to follow the plan as best as possible but increasing the long run distance by a mile or 2 each time.. new arrival due early Sept so I wasn't sure how training might pan out.
    Goal for ratoath half was sub 1.30, I was confident this could be achieved after running a solid race over an undulating course in Mullingar.
    It was not to be, set off just in front of the 1.30 pacer, letting him pass me out at 2miles, joined in with the masses but by 7.5miles I was beginning to struggle, by 8 they group were getting away from me and by 9 miles it was damaged limitation. I felt like giving up,but so fit es you gotta suck it up and do the best you can,ended up coming to e in 1.31.30 which I was gutted with, although still a 30sec pb.. it was not to be, but a hectic work/family life with numerous hospital visits in the lead up to the race didn't help, physically fine, mentally/emotionally wiped might have contributed to the poor showing.
    Regrouped and moved on with the plan, kept up with the long runs, tempos, intervals ect and then onto Dublin half.
    Decided it was going to be a m.p run, ran down to the park for 4miles easy 8min miles then into 13miles @m.p 7.20-30, , trying out race day strategy, drifting to 7.30-40 on the uphill and picking up pace on the flat/downhill., went through the race in 1.36 for a 7.17avg feeling quite comfortable and 2miles at 8min miles to wrap up the day @19miles total.

Following on from the Dublin half on 22nd Sept. the next week consisted of
    10miles General aerobic @7.55
    4mile tempo/2min jog /2 mile tempo totaling 8.3m@7.22avg
    6X.5mile@5k/2min jog/4mile@mp
    21.5m@8.00avg
    5mile recovery @8.30
    This wrapped up September
    Monthly total 195miles

Oct started off with:

6x.5m/2min jog/4k@mp
    10mile g.a @7.52
    5m tempo
    7.2m easy
    23.6miles @8.40... really slow long run totaling 3hr 25... in hindsight I would of preferred to be a little quicker but was with a group taking in most of dcm route..
    Weekly total 57.6miles
    Next week consisted of
    7.5m with 5mile@mp
    6.3m w 6x150mt strides
    5m easy/3m tempo
    15m 10m easy/5@m.p
    Weekly total 38miles

Penultimate week
    6.2m easy with strides.. slightly faster than expected..felt good
    2x.5m@5k/4x.25m.. 2&1min recovery jog
    2m tempo/ 2m @m.p/ 2 tempo / 2@mp.. loved this session 9m total @7.06
    10m easy taking in the opening few miles of dcm
    Weekly total 31.5

Final week will consist of
    10k w.8 20 sec strides
    8k w.3@m.p
    5k easy
    The big day....

• Advertisement

Dcm 2018
    So after a little bit of taper madness finally the day was here..I'm ready, target was 3.14, but that was to give myself wiggle room on the real goal of 3.15 incase I ran long..target splits 7.25avg.
    On race morning I was up bright and early before the alarm. Headed off info the city for 7.30am, pit stop, changed and ready to race..
    Up to the starting pen and I positioned myself just ahead of 3.20 pacers. Plan was to be conservative first 7miles(7.30s) then gradually push on to 7.15s and take advantage of the downhills before settling in..
    As it transpired the first mile was 7.27,a little jostling for position and making sure I was just in front of the 3.20 herd without setting out too fast,this was followed up with a fast 2nd mile 7.14 taking advantage of the downhill at Christchurch and early race euphoria.. I settled into a nice rythym going up manor st and aughrim st, I was surprised to be passed by quite a few people but didn't mind too much as I was still a little faster than I had anticipated.
    7.31/7.24, As we  headed up chesterfield ave I didn't feel comfortable at all..sweating alot and early signs that it might be a long day, i popped an electrolyte tab at the water station and continued on up to the 10k marker and beyond myos..
    Splits for first 7miles were
    7.27/7.14/7.31/7.24/7.26/7.24/7.32
    Once I got to the crest of the hill I opened up slightly coming down in 7.06/7.16/7.14.. I knew I'd be stopped in my tracks once I got to the hill @Laurences rd..still not all too comfortable, i eased off slightly going up the hill. I always find it a struggle, before following it up with a faster mile towards kilmainham. Early signs of a stitch coming on, but I try stay relaxed and focus on breathing. Around dolphins barn and up crumlin rd, I pass under halfway in 1:37:28 right on course for 3.15 but no room to let up..
    Splits for miles 8-14
    7.06/7.16/7.14/7.32/7.19/7.27/7.36
    For the next few miles it was really stay on pace, target 7.25. One mile at a time, hit the target, reset/repeat.. I know miles 17-20 are fast so just get there on pace .. I cant recall how I felt other than I was X'issed off, 2 stations in a row I dropped my water bottle and also a gel..
    Got to the 20mile marker intact and on pace
    Miles 14-20
    7.27/7.20/7.23/7.17/7.20/7.25
    I never enjoy miles 20-22, and still don't!!  Damaged limitation really but I dug in, working hard and concentrating on taking each mile at at time.
    Having practiced heartbreak hill on a training run, it's 50secs from bottom to top so I knew it was nothing to fear, in fact I found the run up to the hill more difficult.. head down and get up the hill before trying to get back on track and use the immediate downhill to my advantage..
    Miles21-23
    7.27/7.40/7.25
    As I turned onto the dual carriageway I try to kick on, I felt good , no hills left and all downhill from here,!!  As I try to increase the pace, the stitch from earlier began to reappear..i decide to hold off and hope it passes.. it subsides.. we turn at Rte, it's now 2.5miles to home ..i try again to speed up.. it doesn't last too long as the stitch is still there only a little stronger this time.. Im heading down merrion rd and this stitch is becoming nasty.. I'm leaned over as I run, I contemplate stopping but I know I don't have seconds to spare never mind minutes.. Ive got to manage it as best I can, the pace slows slightly and finishing line is looming
    Miles 24-26
    7.25/7.36/7.35
    I finally cross the canal,the crowds are deep the watch reads 3.13, I've got 2mins to break 3.15, time to empty the tank.. Magically all my pains disappear, I'm motoring.. passing plenty, quick glance at the watch and I've 80 seconds to go.. the finish line appears further than I taught.. I gotta keep going and make sure I don't fall short,only time is running out.
    40 seconds.. 20 seconds, I'm only hitting the blue mat.. head down/charge home 3:14:55 chip
    6.10 pace for the final .35mile
    On reflection I'm satisisfied more than happy with the result, i feel I managed the closing miles well but if anything it makes me realise I'd more to offer..
    Splits..: 1.37.28 // 1.37.27
    690miles for 16 week training block

So after dcm I took a few days off, the body held up well with just the usual a aches and pains.by the friday I was back out again.
    I decided to sign up for gingerbread half and try break 1.30.
    2/11 ...3.7m@8.32 very easy recovery
    3/11...3.5m@8.10 Easy
    4/11... 5.5m@8.18 again kept it easy but upped the distance,body feeling somewhat back to normal.
    7/11...6.2m progression run splits 8/7.30/7.15/7/6.50/6.40 for 7.13avg. Really enjoyed this
    8/11... 4.4m@ 7.52 small steady run
    9/11... 6.2m@7.50 again keeping things steady, nothing major to report.
    10/11.. [email]3.7@7.28..on[/email] a break away with the family, I had threatened to do Kilkenny park run. Unfortunately 3 hungry kids meant breakfast got priority. I got out soon after tho to complete a small tempo run.. roughly 5k tempo, a few beers the night previous meant I felt sluggish and was working hard to hold 6.50 pace.
    11/11.. 5.8m @8 Easy run

So I've finally bit the bullet and joined a club, so far this year I've managed
    1st Jan: 9 miles easy taking in porterstown park run avg 7.47
    3rd jan: club session 2mile w.up followed by 20 min tempo, just shy of 5k for the 20mins bout 6.30 avg/ .5m c.d ..6m total for the day
    5th: jog to and from park run, then park run steady @ 7.15avg. .total 8miles@7.40 pace
    6th: some easy miles around abbotstown before it got dark 9.3miles @8m.m
    8th: 1mile w.up then 10k tempo.. did this in Phoenix park and really found it tough..windy day but got through it. 10k avg was 6.55 which was target pace..1m c.d.. 8.5m for the day
    10th club session.. 2.5m w.up followed by 20min tempo, got left behind at the start , still feeling effects from Tuesdays session but slowly grew in the session went slightly further than previous week. Bout 6.26 avg for 20mins ...7.5miles for the day
    11th: recovery run 3.3m@8.26
    12th some easy miles on grass followed by 1/2/3min intervals with equal recovery..5.5m @8.33avg
    13th: 10miles @7.47avg felt tougher than it should have been..

15 jan: 2k warm up followed by 8k tempo, felt good Initially after 3k turned into a strong headwind and drag, pace dropped from <4.20 to 4.30 over the 2k section. I was able to get back up to speed once I turned off, was made to work hard during the session. 1k cool down for a 7 mile total @7.16avg
    16th Jan. Out late in the evening for a quite enjoyable easy run 6.6miles@8.16avg
    17th: club session 2.5m warm up then 20min tempo, set in the back of my group and felt much better than the previous week. Finished just shy of the 5k marker..short cool down. 6miles for the night
    19th: back to abbotstown for some easy miles on the grass. 5.5miles@8.22avg
    20th: a good crew of us out for a quite enjoyable run. 13.1miles @7.56 avg. Felt good throughout..

Jan 23: I hadn't been feeling good the previous 2 days, so took a break from running. Went out and tried a tempo session, probably not the smartest move. A 1k jog then jumped straight into the session, I almost knocked the session on the head before I hit the 2k marker but struggled on and managed to do 8k @&lt;4.20km. Effort levels were pretty high as I spluttered my way around.short c.d
    6m total @7.19
    Jan 24: didn't plan on making the club session, but as things worked out I was able to make it...deja-vu tho ...for those of us who were not running in raheny it was to be a 25min track tempo..I opted against running with the usual crew and ran solo..pretty soon I was up to tempo pace and managed roughly 3.7m at tempo pace..feeling better than the previous night
    5.7miles@ 7.17 avg
    Jan 26: out late in the afternoon,undecided what to do so opted for some 400s that I missed out on at Tuesdays session.
    1.5m easy followed by 8x400s with 80 sec recovery..1.5m c.d... not my favourite type of session but happy to mix things up
    6miles @8.17avg
    Jan:27 . Early start in order to get stuff done and make cheerleading duties in Raheny in the afternoon. 13.2m @7.57 avg.
    Usual route with half the crew.. the other half smashed pbs in raheny so good day all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

quick feet wrote: »
    Jan 23: I hadn't been feeling good the previous 2 days, so took a break from running. Went out and tried a tempo session, probably not the smartest move. A 1k jog then jumped straight into the session, I almost knocked the session on the head before I hit the 2k marker but struggled on and managed to do 8k @&lt;4.20km. Effort levels were pretty high as I spluttered my way around.short c.d
    6m total @7.19
    Jan 24: didn't plan on making the club session, but as things worked out I was able to make it...deja-vu tho ...for those of us who were not running in raheny it was to be a 25min track tempo..I opted against running with the usual crew and ran solo..pretty soon I was up to tempo pace and managed roughly 3.7m at tempo pace..feeling better than the previous night
    5.7miles@ 7.17 avg
    Jan 26: out late in the afternoon,undecided what to do so opted for some 400s that I missed out on at Tuesdays session.
    1.5m easy followed by 8x400s with 80 sec recovery..1.5m c.d... not my favourite type of session but happy to mix things up
    6miles @8.17avg
    Jan:27 . Early start in order to get stuff done and make cheerleading duties in Raheny in the afternoon. 13.2m @7.57 avg.
    Usual route with half the crew.. the other half smashed pbs in raheny so good day all round.

2 tempo sessions in 2 days? What's the thinking with that one G? Then an interval session a couple of days later?

That week looks good on paper but I think you're missing some basic, easy miles during the week and focusing too much on cramming in sessions where they don't fit

You hit the nail on the head D, missing the basics : easy miles and trying to cram..
    I didn't plan on doing the 2 tempos.. did the 1st 1 thinking I wouldn't make the club tempo the following evening.. a few things changed and I was able to then make the club session the following evening.. that session was a 25min tempo, being a noobie I didn't wanna be picking and choosing what I do so I just towed the line and off I went..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just butting in here after your comments on another thread. As someone who is in or about your times the one difference I see with your training and mine is that you have very little in terms of easy miles. There are days which you call easy or recovery but the paces are faster than I would think right for such days. You seem to be doing lots of sessions too. Is fatigue or overtraining a possibility?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just butting in here after your comments on another thread. As someone who is in or about your times the one difference I see with your training and mine is that you have very little in terms of easy miles. There are days which you call easy or recovery but the paces are faster than I would think right for such days. You seem to be doing lots of sessions too. Is fatigue or overtraining a possibility?

Could possibly be, I try get 2 sessions/1 long run and at least 1 recovery@8.20/30.. depending on work/life balance I'll try get another run in... it still leaves 2-3 days off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Could possibly be, I try get 2 sessions/1 long run and at least 1 recovery@8.20/30.. depending on work/life balance I'll try get another run in... it still leaves 2-3 days off..

Recovery pace isn’t 8.20/30, that should be your easy pace. I would be a bit quicker than you over the shorter stuff(you have me marathon wise)but I run nowhere near the paces you consider your easy pace. You run far to many of your runs to quick. Slow down a bit.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Recovery pace isn’t 8.20/30, that should be your easy pace. I would be a bit quicker than you over the shorter stuff(you have me marathon wise)but I run nowhere near the paces you consider your easy pace. You run far to many of your runs to quick. Slow down a bit.

That's what struck me. Also 7:57 for a 13 mile LSR... I'd consider that to be moderate/steady and quite fast for a week that also includes a couple of sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Butting in here too for same reason as skyblue.

I'd echo what the lads said above quickfeet. You need to slow down your easy runs. That's not a million miles off my easy run pace.

I had the same issue as you in terms of falling off a cliff in races. I would say one of the biggest changes that helped was slower easy miles.

Duanington had a comment above too on your training. Take the advice. Trust me it'll make a difference.

Butting in here too for same reason as skyblue.

I'd echo what the lads said above quickfeet. You need to slow down your easy runs. That's not a million miles off my easy run pace.

I had the same issue as you in terms of falling off a cliff in races. I would say one of the biggest changes that helped was slower easy miles.

Duanington had a comment above too on your training. Take the advice. Trust me it'll make a difference.

Cheers for the input folks; I suppose running with faster runners can have it's downside too!!
    What's mundane for them is steady for me...

quick feet wrote:
    Cheers for the input folks; I suppose running with faster runners can have it's downside too!! What's mundane for them is steady for me...

I hear ya and it's grand every now and then.

A couple of other comments as I've since looked back. You're running an awful lot of tempos, some very close together and some at too high an effort. One week there you had two tempos and a session in the space of a few days. You probably could benefit from a little more structure to your training. Never go into a week without knowing in advance what you plan on doing. It's fine to adjust training based on how you're feeling but don't wing it.

I'm almost afraid to post the past weeks training after the I put received above!!
    Jan 29th: 2k warm up followed by 4x1k with 90 sec jog. 1ks came in at. 3.50/3.50/4/4.04 was meant to be 5k but reps 3&4 we're Into a brutal headwind and I felt nothing was to be gained by doing the extra rep. Kept it steady to the finish to make up for the kop out!
    7miles @7.31avg
    Jan 30th: recovery ramble 4miles @8.20
    monthly total 147 miles
    Feb 1st: skipped the club session the previous and after a brutal day in work I just wanted to get out and run...I was like an F1 pit stop change once I got home, I was back out in no time..Felt good and fresh and know ked out 6.5miles@7.34avg.

Feb 3rd: trim 10. First race of the year and I was hoping to challenge my pb of 68.13. At least improve on last year's time of 68.45 in trim
    2mile warm up and then into the starting pen.let the club mates go their own way.
    Started well,going thru the first few miles in 6.48/ 6.50/ 6.46/ 6.51 once we swing left I begin to slow ..next mile comes in at 7.02, it's a slight drag and into headwind, I get back on track somewhat to record 6.56 for the next mile. Then the wheels really do come off. Mile 7 is a disastrous 7.08,the headwind is tough and the legs are turnig to jelly, at this point Im being swallowed up by the 70min pacers. I think if it wasn't for these guys the damage/result would of been worse..I try stay in front of them 7.03/7.01.. these miles have a few rolling drags that went unnoticed last year..the paces give a shout out ..2k to go, if you feel good push on! What if your barely hanging on are my thoughts!! Last year I closed out the race in a 6.30, not today, I'm devo with how the day has panned out, I stride in spurts before I soon fade , stride again, fade, stride again ..thankfully I'm put out of my misery and cross the line in 69:25.
    40secs slower than last year but feels a whole lot worse!!
    10miles@6.55

• Advertisement

I'm almost afraid to post the past weeks training after the I put received above!!
    Jan 29th: 2k warm up followed by 4x1k with 90 sec jog. 1ks came in at. 3.50/3.50/4/4.04 was meant to be 5k but reps 3&4 we're Into a brutal headwind and I felt nothing was to be gained by doing the extra rep. Kept it steady to the finish to make up for the kop out!
    7miles @7.31avg
    Jan 30th: recovery ramble 4miles @8.20
    monthly total 147 miles
    Feb 1st: skipped the club session the previous and after a brutal day in work I just wanted to get out and run...I was like an F1 pit stop change once I got home, I was back out in no time..Felt good and fresh and know ked out 6.5miles@7.34avg.

Feb 3rd: trim 10. First race of the year and I was hoping to challenge my pb of 68.13. At least improve on last year's time of 68.45 in trim
    2mile warm up and then into the starting pen.let the club mates go their own way.
    Started well,going thru the first few miles in 6.48/ 6.50/ 6.46/ 6.51 once we swing left I begin to slow ..next mile comes in at 7.02, it's a slight drag and into headwind, I get back on track somewhat to record 6.56 for the next mile. Then the wheels really do come off. Mile 7 is a disastrous 7.08,the headwind is tough and the legs are turnig to jelly, at this point Im being swallowed up by the 70min pacers. I think if it wasn't for these guys the damage/result would of been worse..I try stay in front of them 7.03/7.01.. these miles have a few rolling drags that went unnoticed last year..the paces give a shout out ..2k to go, if you feel good push on! What if your barely hanging on are my thoughts!! Last year I closed out the race in a 6.30, not today, I'm devo with how the day has panned out, I stride in spurts before I soon fade , stride again, fade, stride again ..thankfully I'm put out of my misery and cross the line in 69:25.
    40secs slower than last year but feels a whole lot worse!!
    10miles@6.55

That's a hard core week. No wonder you found it tough today. You did a 7m and a 6.5 mile within 35/40 seconds of your 10 Mile race pace. What was the plan there? Easy runs at 7:30 are the realm of 1:15 half marathon runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

So in the ten days leading into Trim, you do two Tempo runs, a 400’s session, a 1k session, a sub 8 minute 13 miles and all easy runs sub 8 mins. Your flogging yourself, no wonder there was nothing in the legs today. As Swashbuckler said, put some structure into your training, your doing yourself no favours doing what your doing.

quick feet wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. You have eyes on you now! Haha.

In your defense I was once like you! Very hard to really help you coz running is not easy to get right all the time and what works for one person may not for another. A few general rules that might help though;

Keep your easy runs easy. Slow down!

Try to leave two days between hard sessions.

Not the worst thing in the world to have a long run the day after a session.

Slow down! Don't overtrain. You'll lose more than you think you'll gain.

Get a plan with structure.

Don't be too hard on yourself ;)

Feb 4th:
    4 mile recovery.@8.34. possibly my toughest run of the week., mainly because of the feedback above, I felt all eyes would be on me from behind the keyboards!!! It worked as I meandered around trying to slow down.
    Feb 5th:
    4.25miles@8.43 More recovery, making a decent attempt at running slower..
    Feb 7th:
    Club session: 2.3 mile warm up the 3x1mile with 5min recovery..
    Miles came in at 6.13/6.08/6.09.. Felt good and strong over the closing mile and could easily have done another few reps.
    7miles for the evening
    Feb 9th:
    Early start to get a long run in.
    12miles @8.13avg
    Feb 10th:
    Few pints the night before so a 5k trot up to collect the car was in order
    3.1miles@8.08

Feb 12th: 2k w.up followed by 6.5mile tempo, target was 7 m.m which I was able to do, tough last 1.5miles into a stiff headwind. Felt alot stronger than I did at same stage in trim..2k c.d
    9miles@7.16avg
    Feb:13 late getting out on the recovery loop, still trying to slow things down.
    4miles@8.50

Feb:14 up to the club for a 3x1mile session with full recovery.. 2.5m w.up then under instructions to try run 10 secs faster than last week...I didn't know where to look.last week we ran between 6.08-12.. this sessions was to be 6.0-6.05.. considering my 1 mile pb is 5.55 I was expecting a tough session. First rep felt good as we scattered off.. soon settled and was delighted to run comfortably hard in 5.56..
    Second rep had to work a little harder, exactly what I taught running training would be like before joining a club..a few grunts and groans before coming home in 6 flat.
    3rd rep and my turn to lead out, was expecting to die at some stage or be passed out for going too slow but I enjoyed having to lead the lads. Managed to run 6 flat again and felt more controlled than previous rep.
    7 miles for the night
    Feb.16 long run with a built in park run at steady pace. 2miles easy/ park run steady/ followed by 9 easy
    14miles @7.46avg.
    Feb 17. 4.25miles @8.18 nice evening trot around the block with a sprint finish for a loo stop...

Slower easy day = fresher legs = nailing sessions! That sounds like a win win situation to me. I hope you're keeping Daz honest ;)

19/2
    Met up with a pal in the Phoenix park to do a lunch time tempo.. 2k w.uvthen plan was 7 mile tempo starting out at 7.10 then reducing to 6.50s.. didn't quite go to plan as first mile was 6.52..kept the remaining miles under 7 min miles although struggled between miles 3-5 before coming back round and finishing off comfortable..2k c.d
    9.15@7.10avg.
    20/2
    Some easy miles ..
    6.4@8.08avg
    21/2
    Club session..
    Easy warm up 4k..then into session 3x800..400jog/4×400..200jog/4×200..100jog
    I found myself running this session alone..First time doing this type of session so didn't know what pace to be aiming for..based off last week's mile intervals of 6.0-6.05 per mile, I set out to go under 3 for the 800s..I was quite consistent in doing 2.57/2.55/2.56
    400s were done in 1.26 /1.25/1.26/1.24
    200s done in 35/34/35/31 quite enjoyed just blasting the last rep..
    Still not sure if I sold myself short but was more than happy with the consistency of the reps..
    8.15 miles for the night
    24/2
    Out early to get a long run in before work..Met up with some of the group getting in 10 steady miles before doing parkrun @ tempo'ish pace.. slowed things down after to round off the day 15.6m @7.51
    25/2
    Easy run up to the x.c track in abbotstown
    4.5m@8.40
    Highest mileage week so far this year@ 44 miles

26tg feb:
    Tempo Tuesday, slight change of plan at the last min meant I was to do this run solo..repeat of previous weeks loop..2k warm up then started off tempo..pretty much crashed at 3mile marker legs felt like lead and struggled to make pace,slowed slightly and contemplated pulling the plug at 4 miles.. stubbornness or stupidity won out and I reduced the pace to steady although still working hard, tempo effort !! Poor sleep/motivation/warm day might have contributed to poor showing, happy I seen the session out tho.
    2k w.up/7m @tempo/steady/1k c.d
    9m@7.20 avg

27th Feb
    5.3mile recovery
    Yesterdays poor showing playing on my mind, I just wanted to get this run over with asap.. ended up running slightly qui per than planned.
    5.3@8.37

28 feb
    Club session
    Billy no mates on this one.. too slow for the fast group and slightly faster than some of the others
    3x800 w 400 jog reps were 2.53/2.55/2.59 slightly disappointed with the last rep as I taught I was doing similar pace as previous
    4x400 w200 jog 1.25/1.26/1.23/1.25
    4x200 w100 jog 35/35 made a mess of 2 reps by stopping the watch instead of hitting lap button..
    Enjoyable session, really enjoy the 200s, head down and power through,hopefully a few more of these workouts to come

2 march
    Met up with the group to do 10miles before park run. 10@8mm
    Ran park run @7.40s and final 2miles @8.10
    14miles@7.55avg

March 4
    2mile easy trot @8.24
    March 5:
    Down to Phoenix park .. 5k at roughly 10k race pace ..tough session as there a stiff breeze heading up c.field ave , took a right turn onto north rd, before finishing back at the zoo..avg 6.40 for the 5k
    Inc w.p and c.d 6.5miles@7.23
    March 6.
    Recovery loop 5.1miles@8.20
    March 8
    Short easy run with 30 sec strides at the end of each mile.
    4miles@8.10
    March 10
    Bohermeen half:
    Pretty happy with how the race went. Avoided recent mid race/tempo collapse. Managed to keep pretty consistent splits.. I settled into a little group after 6 miles and was happy to sit there until 11miles before pushing on, in hindsight and with more confidence I should of really forced the pace a little. Still pleased to come away with a pb and a finishing time of 1.31.11

• Advertisement

March 12th
    Down to the p.park to be blown about for 10k , decided to mix up the route by taking in the s-bends then back down chesterfield to the zoo, felt ok and a little faster than anticipated as the wind was on our backs .. nothing majorly exciting apart from a brutal chest cough!!
    6.2@8.11avg
    March 14th
    More easy stuff and still trying to slow things down a bit, mixed up the route too from the usual recovery loop, still not feeling great.
    3.75m@8.45
    March 16th
    Out with the crew for an early start n plan was to do 12+miles.. I knew pretty soon into this run that it was going to be a struggle,contemplated turning back at 5k but thought I'd grow into the run. Weather was ****, I felt worse, many a time I felt like stopping but the only thing that kept me going was I wasn't 100% sure of the route!! Once back on familiar territory I fell out the back of the pack struggling to keep up.i pulled it at 9 miles and left the others to take in parkrun.. it's safe to say I coughed n spluttered my way round those 9 miles like a giant slug!!!
    9miles@7.55
    March 17th
    No hangover, clear head, up early so I met up with a pal for some easy miles. What a difference 24hrs makes. Plotted our way through 10k feeling far better than the day b4.
    6.35@8.06
    March 18th
    I wanted to do a tempo today as we're heading away on a weeks holiday tomorrow..decided on a challenging route with a good drag/climb.3k w.up then i Managed to shift through the first 2 miles @6.45pace and this included a 1.5m climb , turned for a 1m gradual downhill but the headwind seemed to cancel out the downhill restbite. Soon turned away from the headwind but the legs were shot, form was crap.. head almost stuck to my chest. Every now n again I'd look up to make sure I didn't run into the back of my pal..not my wisest ever decision to do a session like this so soon after not feeling the best. However it's done 4.5m@6.50avg(30min tempo)
    7.5m@7.18

Advertisement