Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow the leader

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Next up is bohermeen half on Sunday, current pb stands at 1:33:51 from clontarf 2015..
    Hope to at least improve on that,training has gone well and I'm now clocking up more miles now than ever before.. would really love to get close to 1.32 tbh,I'll post the result Sunday evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

quick feet wrote: »
    Next up is bohermeen half on Sunday, current pb stands at 1:33:51 from clontarf 2015..
    Hope to at least improve on that,training has gone well and I'm now clocking up more miles now than ever before.. would really love to get close to 1.32 tbh,I'll post the result Sunday evening!!

Good luck, sounds like a class race, enjoy!

11/3
    Took in the local parkrun, decided against st racing it and stuck to the plan of 7.30miles.., felt good n comfortable although at one point I felt I was working harder than I should to maintain the pace..
    3.1 @7:31m.m.

12/3
    Race day!!!
    We arrived down in plenty of time as my friend was doing the 10k, feeling nervous as the longest tempo ive done was 7m@7m.m but optimistic about achieving the goal of 1:32... waited until everyone had left for the 10k b4 I got ready.. a few laps,some Strides then a quick stretch before I headed off down to the start.. on the way down I bumped into to an old friend..usual conversation of target times occurred n we were both aiming for the 7min mile marker..we agreed to go together..
    Everything went good, no complaints about the set-up,start or traffic.. went off in 6.52,6.57,6.59 so all was fine until mile 4, felt like a stitch coming on but it soon passed..I found it quite warm, still moving along on target 7.01,6.56,7.02..I found the stretch on the motorway tough and wasn't looking forward to this part on the second lap..still stayed steady with a 7.00,6.56 but was working harder..mile 10 was tough but I hung on for 7.04. But my pal was beginning to pull away, i couldnt keep up..Once we turned onto the motorway I got hit with the headwind and the head began to drop a little, a little disappointed that I couldn't tag on to the friend too.. 7.18, was followed by 7.16, I tried to get back on track for the last mile but hit 7.10 although I did have a great sprint to finish.. finished in 1.32.02, chuffed to have hit the 1.32 and also getting a 10mile and half marathon pb in the process... if I'm being critical I would have liked a better mile 11 &13, I could of probably dug out a handful of second especially if I had of known how close to sub 1.32 I was..
    anyway onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

Big congrats on the performance today, I was out doing easy miles and noted how I would have found it tough racing with that wind.

Onwards and upwards is right, good consistency going on here, its starting to show in race times too. Keep it up !

Cheers d,
    good to see your over the injury and great race report on kinvara!!

• Advertisement

13/3
    The legs were a little stiff after yesterday's exertions, deliberated over taking the day off or doing a recovery run.. opted for the latter and did 20mins... it was quite warm n found myself sweating alot,
    2.5miles @ 8.15mile..
    14/3
    Straight back on the horse and out again for some steady miles,again it was warm but the first mile wasn't too hot 7.40, upped the ante but again found myself sweating buckets and felt ,ikea I was working alot harder than I should have been..
    5miles @7.22 m.m
    15/3
    Out for some intervals
    Was meant to be 6X800 but did 1 for the road so 7 in total..
    The target was to be close to the 3min marker for each rep w/ 90 seconds recovery...only found reps 4/6 a struggle..
    times came in at 3.03..3.03..3.01...3.02....2.59...3.01...2.50 (.47mile)
    Including warm up now cooldown...
    5.21@8.16mm

16/3
    Rest stomach felt dodgy..
    17/3
    Still not great but managed to get some easy miles in
    5.5miles @ 8.08m.m average
    18/3
    Up to do the parkrun as prep ahead of dunboyne 4 next weekend, aim was to get close to 6.30s..
    1 mile warm-up then into parkrun, started well and logged 6.22 for the first mile, second mile was into a strong headwind and I began to fade 6.43, tried to pick it up for the final mile but couldn't muster a big push again this was Into the wind.6.40.... finished in 20.20 which is only 2 seconds outside my course pb on a crappy day..
    3.1 @6.31 avg
    Upon completion of the parkrun I joined up with a pal and logged a other 10 easy miles
    10miles @ 8.17 avg
    14miles total for the day....

19-21 /3
    Been laid low with the dodgy tummy, no running

22/3
    Finally feeling human again and headed out for a tempo run, probably not the wisest decision after just getting over sickness and weather is dirt but wanted to get a decent session in before Sunday...
    2mile warm up then tempo 3.3miles @ 6.42 avg.. Happy with the effort as strong winds,rain, felt like I was getting stronger as run went on..1mile cooldown
    6.25miles @7.27m.m avg

23/3
    A late evening stroll clocking up some easy miles.. didn't bother looking at the watch until I finished..
    4.63miles @8.10 avg
    25/3
    A fab morning for a run,the plan was not to run as i was doing the dunboyne 4m the following day,so I volunteered at the parkrun, as the day went on I was itching to get out so I went for an easy 5k
    3.11miles in 25mins

26/3
    Dunboyne 4miler:
    I was more hopeful than optimistic heading into this, the intention was to Improve on last year's time of 26:12.. I was delighted to hear there was going to be 26min pacers..I arrived in plenty of time with the army in tow.. parked in the community hall, collected the race number without any fuss, chatted to one or 2 people outside then headed up to the spar with the wife n kids to stock up on some E-numbers before I headed off!! Off I went to do a warm up.. weather was fab with a bit of wind..I placed myself close to the pacers as we entered the start pen but once the crowd gathered I found myself getting pushed back further away from them.. as I crossed the start line the pacers were already about 30 meters ahead, slight panic --skip thru the crowd and before I know it I'm right behind them..I decided to jump in front of them as there's a few people about and let them push me along..first mile came n went in 6:25, second mile was out on the motorway, I stayed focused and stayed ahead of the pacers 6:28 ..once we turned off the motorway n headed back to the village I felt Comfortable although the pacers were right next to me..6.29....entering the housing estate and the final mile,in the blink of an eye the lads have opened up a gap of about 30meters, still plenty of time left but don't let the gap get any bigger, over the 800meter then 600meter marker on the corner, one last push, get ahead of the lads...little incline but I put the effort in and got level with the guys, approach the final corner and one final push, catch the 2people ahead, sprint finish and I come home In 25:50, chuffed with the time and effort, finally breaking a sub 20 5k in the process..

27/3
    Got out for a little leg loosener after yesterday's exertions,felt good and not too fatigued..
    3miles@7.33
    29/3
    Unsure of what type of run to do as I'm not following a plan nor do I have any goal races Coming up I'm kinda Iimbo a little..anyhow I decided to do the same route as the previous weeks 20 min tempo, only in reverse and extend it to 30mins...this turned out to be a tough run with net uphill and predominantly into the wind, nice day all the same!!..1mile warm up n cooldown
    6.25miles@7.14avg..
    31/3
    Was meant to be a nice easy run n started out that way 8min for first mile,inadvertently sped up for the next 2 averaging 7.25 before I reigned it back in to 7.50/7.45 then just upped it a little for the final mile
    6.13@7.40avg..
    1/4
    Jumped in with a new group who are targeting Derry marathon all faster runners than myself so hoping it'll help bring me on if I can jump in as often as possible..they were doing 18mile but I was gonna do 14 as I haven't done much in terms of long run since bohermeen..also they were planning on running at 7.40'ish pace..which will be my target marathon pace...2mile easy run to meet the lads @7.30am , leisurely pace above 8min miles ,arrived a few mins early so little stretch then we set off..felt good n comfortable having the company and completed the next 12miles all below7.45
    14.5miles@7.44avg..

4/4
    Nothing spectacular about this one,bumped into an old gym buddy on route so had some company,nice handy 4.5miles@7.30avg
    5/4
    Headed down to the polo grounds in the phoenix park to do some intervals..parked up at chesterfield so 2mile warm up then Into 4 laps/90sec rest after every lap/ polo-ground measured .6miles and laps were timed @ 3.28/3.32/3.37/3.36... ideally would like to get all laps down 3.30,a bit of speed and speed endurence needed..2 miles back to the car felt tough, so I obviously put the effort in on the repeats
    6.5miles @8.08 avg

7/4
    Decided on a quick tempo before I headed off on a stags,got stuck at a rail crossing - bad planning on my part which killed the intensity..still managed
    5.1miles@7.03avg..
    10/4
    Post stags blowout..had put it off all day, finally headed out after 8..started slow but then upped it to sweat out some alcohol..
    Surprisingly didn't feel too bad
    5.12@7.15avg.

• Advertisement

Have a bit of catching up to do
    10/4
    Feeling crap after been away at a stags,I just wanted to get out and let off some steam..started off easy but gradually built it up.. 7.45/7.20/7.14/7.06/6.53
    Total
    5.12miles @ 7.15avg
    12/4
    Don't recall much about this but think it was a little progression run 7.26/7.16/6.58/6.42
    4.28@7.08 avg
    14/4
    Decided on a new route for my longish run,looked pretty straight forward until I got lost!!..ended up on some country roads, with no pathway..quite dangerous actually but luckily for me it was at lunch time so I was visible to motorists..managed to get back on track via the canal n
    And completed 10miles although a little faster then planned..I scurried along the winding roads..
    10miles@7.38
    15/4
    Headed to Cork with the family..whilst the kids napped I grabbed the shoes and went for a run..taught I could just follow the river Lee for a handy 5k..not to be the case...got lost again, twice in 2 days..ended up looping back on myself a few times and managed to clock up a little over 10k..
    6.33@7.36avg

17/4
    Back to some easy running..most of the runs lately are all creeping into steady runs...or faster than planned runs
    4.5 m @8.00 avg

18/4
    Since I ran bohermeen half ( 12/3) and dunboyne 4m (26/3)..I've been in a bit of a rut, no goal race to aim for..as a family we have alot on most weekends until the start of June but luckily I'm free (for now) on 14th may so I'm going to enter the Terenure 5mile..I'll aim to improve on the 33.07 from raheny in January..dunno what plan (if any to follow) opinions welcome .... but I started off today with
    4x1 mile@10k -6.40pace with 2 1/2mins recovery Jog..
    Felt good, although tough at times due to head wind and the route was predominantly uphill
    Totalled 7miles@7.26avg

19/4
    Felt ok after yesterday's session so decided to get a long run in as I can't run Thursday and want to do parkrun the weekend..headed to the park @miday and it was nice and mild with cooling haze..took in a nice route heading down the park with loop of popesX and pitches then around by Wellington monument..had a nice 3 mile climb from S-bends up and out by mount sackville and up to myo's pub..finally finished off back at c.knock gate for an 11mile total@7.56 avg

Why not take a look at the "best 10k workouts by McMillan" thread? Lots of good ideas over there that you could use

Duanington wrote: »
    Why not take a look at the "best 10k workouts by McMillan" thread? Lots of good ideas over there that you could use

Cheers d, just had a look.. if I start this week,it will take me up to the dunshaughlin 10k as we're away on hols for a week.. any more tips/advise fire 'em at me ðŸ‘

21/4
    Finished work early and had a hour to kill so took in an easy 5k and a quick bodyweight circuit.
    5k 25mins @8m.m avg
    22/4
    Back to the parkrun it was, decided to make the 2mile run up to the park as a warm-up..I never really do much of a warm-up.. few Strides thrown in on the second mile..arrived with 5mins to spare...said my hello's and we were soon off.. I went out fast enough as I was hoping to get close to my course pb (20.18).. first mile comes in at 6.16.. second mile I always drop off the pace, I'm trying hard but soon drift to 6.40's+.. a friend passes who is sub 18 and he gives me a kick up the arse I need, I latch onto him for a half mile and soon Improve, watch beeps at 6.32, I feel pretty goosed but keep working hard upping the ante on the final run-in to come home in 20.00.02!! Gets round up to 20.01for a 17second pb.. a course pb which I'm happy with for now,although I do think I can knock another 15+secs off ( hopefully)..
    2miles@7.40
    3.1@6.27

quick feet wrote: »
    Cheers d, just had a look.. if I start this week,it will take me up to the dunshaughlin 10k as we're away on hols for a week.. any more tips/advise fire 'em at me ðŸ‘

You seem to be ticking along nicely man but I would just say to keep the easy stuff nice and easy...some of those sessions are tough - but they're meant to be :D

If I were you, my week would look like this:
    Lots of easy stuff ( actual easy, f*ck the number on the watch)
    A long run, 12 miles +
    A tempo\steady run (4-7 miles) - dropping back the pace a bit for the longer ones. There are actually loads of these prescribed in the McMillan thread
    A sharper session from the mcMillan stuff
    I don't think you can go too far wrong with this

Common sense prevails of course - no point in running a mcMillan session and a tough tempo within a couple of days of each other

Well done on the parkrun course PB by the way, plenty more to come, keep up the good work

Here's the plan is hope to follow for the next few weeks.. apolagies i couldnt post the table, myself and the tablet are having a falling out as im a little computer literate ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Maybe move out the session that's two days before the 5 mile race to the following week, and do some easy miles with strides instead. You should be fresh enough for the race, even if it's not the target - no point in racing on tired legs and getting demotivated as a result.

Singer wrote: »
    Maybe move out the session that's two days before the 5 mile race to the following week, and do some easy miles with strides instead. You should be fresh enough for the race, even if it's not the target - no point in racing on tired legs and getting demotivated as a result.

Thanks singer,would it be worth switching it up with the Tuesdays tempo? Then a shorter and slower run the Friday with Strides?

Should of mentioned times/paces are based off 1.32 half in bohermeen and 25.50 in dunboyne 4m.. hoping to get under 41 and as close to 40 as possible!!

• Advertisement

23/4
    got out late Sunday evening for some easy miles,even sacrificing the usual Sunday beer with the dinner..
    3.25m@8.15
    25/4
    So the first workout on my plan called for a 4-5m tempo,although not the key workout I was happy to be just following a plan and having some structure..started with a 1mile warm-up @8mm then upped the intensity to 7mm,First mile went bye ok but the following 2 were tough enough as it was into a stiff headwind and slight incline ,last mile was OK with less effort as I had a tailwind and level surface..half mile cooldown
    Total.5.5@7.22avg .....4@7mm
    26/4
    Back to some easy miles
    4.5@ 8.15 avg...
    Tomorrow I get to try out the 6x1miles from the mcmillian 10k workouts.. looking forward to it...

Well I got to try out session 1 of the best 10k workouts by McMillan, I must admit I was nervous about giving it a bash after reading the reports..started out with a 1mile warm-up but was pretty happy with my reps..repeats came in at 6.38/6.37/6.40/6.37/6.40/6.36..took 3mins recovery after each repeat..had a random guy on a horse and cart keep me company for the first 2 which helped break things up,found 4 and 5 the toughest as they had an incline and on the last rep when I began to drift off pace I had the help on the decline (last40 sec)to finish off hence the reason for 6.36..overall good start and look forward to trying out the others.
    Total
    10miles@7.38 avg

29/4
    An easy parkrun to shake out the legs after yesterday's session..they certainly felt like they were worked hard.. Nice and easy here @8m.m
    30/4
    I must admit I almost put this off as my pal was meant to run with me but he Bailed at the last minute..a few beers watching the boxing didn't help either...had the wind in the back for the first few miles which helped get me to the point of no -return...through the phoenix park, round popesX,up the S. Bends and out by Mt. Sackville, down whites Rd and back to c.knock gate managed an honest 11 miles..
    11miles@8.05avg..
    1/5
    Bank holiday easy trot
    3.65@8.05
    2/5
    Back on track with the best of 10k plan and today's session was a tempo run...knocked out 4.5 miles @6.55avg in the glorious sunshine although I felt like I was melting at times.. including warm up and cooldown totalled 7 miles for the day@7.22 avg
    3/5
    Legs were feeling a bit heavy/stiff so Instead of the easy run i opted for an easy cycle on the spin bike with the occasional burst of speed,legs feel,alot looser for now!!

5/5
    Into the second week of the McMillan 10k and time for the second session which is 10-12 400meters..
    I was a little unsure going into this about rest times and how long g each rep should be..decided to go with 85 seconds for the 400's and 50 seconds recovery..it's an out and back route so didn't wanna do the 200 recovery Jog as this would of meant turning mid rep...
    Stiff breeze on each of the odd reps..I managed 10 then dashed to work..session went better than expected and reps were as follows
    1.25/1.25/1.27/1.25/1.25/1.24/1.25/1.23/1.27/1.23
    Couldn't belive I hit the target time on the button so often,although on 1 or 2 reps I was slightly ahead and felt myself easing up a little In the final few Strides..
    Total for session
    4miles@8.28 avg

6/5
    We were Heading off to a wedding so I was up and out early to get this in...headed to the phoenix park for an easy enough 8 miles,brutal wind at times made it tougher than it should have been, glad to get it done all the same, enjoyed the few pints later, guilt free!!!
    8miles @8.18avg

9/5
    I'm doing the Terenure 5miler this course I got weekend driving so switched things up a little,I've sacrificed my Tuesday tempo in order to get in the second day key session from the McMillan plan..workout was (2miles@10k +4×1mile)
    I find myself nervous as well an anxious about these sessions as I know there meant to be tough, I reached for a beer the previous night and found myself putting it back as I knew I had this session the following day..anyway what a beautiful day to get it done, little wind and plenty of sun...
    1mile warm up then Into 2miles@6.40 average was the target.. 1st mile came in at 6.32 and was soon followed with a 6.39..I was digging in towards the end but it's a tough 2 mile gradual climb of about 60feet...
    5min jog then into the 4x1miles, these felt alot easier than doing the 2 together, took the 3mins recovery but I mite look at reducing this as I seem fine plus I'm hitting all the targets..
    Times were as follows
    2miles @6.35avg
    4x1miles were 6.35/6.33/6.40..( uphill climb)//6.36 ..

So that's 3/8 of the McMillan workouts done and so far and I'm hitting all the target times, I should be optimistic going into Sundays race..target will be to improve on the raheny 5 mile time of 33.07 so I suppose anything under 33 and I'll be a happy camper..

10/5
    A nice easy 4miles around a local loop,nothing spectacular averaging 8min miles
    4@8mm
    12/5
    Again some easy running..a little on the short side
    2.6@8.15mile avg..
    Will post a report on the Terenure5 later !!!

14/5
    Terenure 5mile..
    First time to do this race, arrived over in plenty  of time, having already collected the race number on Friday evening.. quick pit stop, got my bearings and off to bushy park to do a 1mile warm up, nice an easy with a few strides thrown in.. headed down to the start, bumped into dave-d..quick chat and we were soon off..got a decent start and took advantage of the tailwind and clocked 6.19 for the first mile, way ahead of schedule as I was hoping to improve on my raheny 5 time of 33.07 (6.38avg).. steadied the ship and slowed to 6.40mark soon after, was surprised to clock 6.46 for the second mile..halfway through the 3rd mile the wheels started to come off, I felt flat n was struggling.. the long road seemed never ending and I just couldn't push on. I disappointingly notched 6.56 for this mile, I was debating Wether to stop as I was beginning to suffer but I decided to try up it and to get back on track,again taking advantage of the tailwind going down by bushy park, got back into the 6.30s for a bit but once we turned the sharp bend I struggled to kick on, it was a drag to the 4 mile post and once I seen I hit 6.53 that was it, Game over, I knew I wasn't going to better my pb so I basically gave up..first time in years i was mentally broke, shuffled along in the 7.20s feeling sorry for myself..on approaching the final bend I didn't even bother to empty the tank as I felt I didn't do it justice, got home in a disappointing 34.18 for a 6.51avg.. gutted to say the least as I've been following the best of 10k mcmillan workouts and I've nailed the first 3weeks... dunno whether I've a slight bug.. woke up in the middle of the night soaked with sweat that I had to dry off.. had a few "soft stools" on the morning of the race too or maybe it was just a bad day at the office.. either way I'm glad it happened today n not dunshaughlin 10k, almost forgot what it was like to suffer in a race as the last few races have all gone so well..even on my weekly tempos I'm nearly at today's effort..bad day/hopefully 1 step back to take 2 or 3 steps forward!!!!

Keep the head up - lots of people suffered out there today, I don't like to get into the habit of making excuses but today's conditions wouldn't have helped.

Well done for toughing it out, that'll stand to you in the months ahead. Keep up the good work, training is going well for you and the times will come down no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I agree with D - it was a tough day out there.
    I was speaking to the 4th place guy (in my club) and he felt terrible for the whole race too. I felt the worst I've felt (since this race last year!).

I wouldn't deviate from the McMillian plan - once you start to doubt the plan, its a slippery slope.
    These plans are designed to have you in shape by the end of it - not half way through it.

Cheers d and Amk, nice to get some feedback..
    I took Monday off as I felt totally flat and wiped out so went and got some dry kneedling on the Calves and hamstrings as they felt quite tight and tender..skipped the recovery run..
    16/5
    Tried to jump straight back Into the plan with a 5mile tempo run..I knew it was too soon after Sundays race as I actually felt drained..didn't wanna make excuses so I sucked it up and off i went..did just over a mile warm up@8m.m then intended to do 5@7.., got off to a decent start albeit a little fast.. running down chesterfield Ave in 6.50 turning right opposite Aras and heading down by popesX in 6.55 ,around the footy pitches in 7.04 then boom..the wheels fell off, it was tough, too tough.. just like sunday..I stopped momentarily, expelled a few expletives, I was really passed off and off I went again..tried to get back on track but by God the jog back up chesterfield into a slight breeze was horrendous and I was suffering ...once I notched 7.25, I called it a day..shuffled painfully back to the car..I can class it as a 3mile tempo and 1 mile steady! In hindsight an easier run might of been more beneficial..
    6miles @7.25avg

17/5
    We have a wedding this weekend so I wanted to get some easier /longer stuff in so off I went..sun out/vest on..tan-lines here I come..Nice run down the canal and into the park, past yesterday's breaking point with no issues then up out of the park thru c.knock.. slight incline on the way home but by 7 miles I was beginning to whilt again even though the pace was alot slower..I managed to see it through to 10 miles which was the aim but for an easy run it didn't end easy..I ran 90%in the sun so little to no shade which might explain.. maybe I'm having g a bad week..I'll take a day off and get back out Friday before the wedding...
    10miles@8m.m avg

• Advertisement

19/5
    Again out for some easier stuff,I was meant to plot a 3mile time trial in for this week but im using last Sundays Terenure race as a guide, gave myself a D+.. passing but can make alot of improvement!! Just some easy miles around a local loop before heading off for the wedding
    5.65miles@7.50avg.
    21/5
    Contemplated skipping the long run this week but surprisingly I didn't feel too tired after the consumption of alcohol..jumped in with a pal for this and it helped take the mind off things,I felt stiff to begin but soon limberd up, took in the phoenix park,Carpenterstown, laurel lodge,clonsilla,Ongar...anyway went on to notch
    16miles@8.07avg avg hr. 141 -h.r strap..
    Longest running in a while and felt ok towards the end..

Advertisement