Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow the leader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

27 Aug.
    5x5mins off 2.30
    Decided to use our old park run route as it's roughly 2mile in circumference .. aim was 6.15-20 pace.1.5m warm up then Managed to run 6.14/6.08/6.13/6.16/6.15.. 1 mile c.d
    Total 7.4m@7.52avg

28 Aug.
    10m@8.20

29 Aug
    Met up with a pal to do a track tempo of 6miles..5k warm up then target was 6.45-50 pace. He bailed after 10 laps with a niggling hip, GPS is always way off up at the track, it gave me roughly 6.20avg which would be a 10k pb pace.. anyway 24laps were tough and mind numbing whatever the pace was, I much prefer to do this session on the road.
    Session plus w.up and c.d got me 11.6m @7.16avg

31 Aug
    Myself and a few of our crew headed out to duleek to tackle some rolling hills on a 20miler..
    Achilles was sore at the beginning and my quads were burning after 4 miles,miles 5-12 were a grind as we headed out past bellewestown and onto more country roads.looped back on ourselves and I felt a lot more comfortable over miles 13-20. Enjoyed the hills tough mental and physical challenge.
    30.1m@8m.m avg

1 Sept.
    Quads were still a little tender as I rambled around Abbottstown on the x.c track
    6miles@8.47
    55miles for the week
    200month for the month

Sept 3rd
    5x1mile off 90 sec. Target <6.30
    Reps 6.26/6.28/6.28/6.28/6.26
    7.8m@7.35

Sept 4th
    easy run
    10.1m @8.18 avg

Sept 5th
    M.p tempo
    Met a few from the club to do an early m.p tempo covered 8 miles @7.10-15 pace..felt pretty comfortable
    3k warm up and 2k c.d
    Total 11.11m@7.32avg

Sept 7th
    16.1miles@7.53

Sept 8th
    Recovery 5.4m@8.30s

Race week:
    Sept 10th
    3x1 mile off 90
    Ended up hammering these miles too fast..
    6.15/6.12/6.04 initial target was 6.25-30 pace.. took full rest for the 90 seconds as opposed a jog.
    6.8miles@7.37

Sept 11th
    8.3miles @8.13

Sept 14th
    Ratoath half.
    Initially my A race for the year but being honest I felt I'd taken my eye off the ball with the marathon looming and priorities began to shift.
    Anyhow I arrived up in good time with all Intentions of still having a go at cracking 1.30. At the start pen I was just off the 1.30 pacers, plan was to keep with them for as long as possible. Bit of a frantic start and once on the fairyhouse rd things opened up slightly. A good crowd were with the pacers so after about 1 mile I moved ahead to avoid getting tripped.after about 4 miles one of the pacers past me with a few people in tow,I felt comfortable so moved with them. we stayed this way up until about 6miles when we dropped 1 or 2, now there was only 4 in the first pace group and 1 was a clubmates, few words were spoken as effort levels began to rise. we moved through 7miles and all miles were under 6.53. aspirations of a 1.29 something began to rise, just as my hopes did so did the effort. Miles 8-10 were a grind, it was sink or swim time and I was frantically treading water, 6.53/6.55/6.51 for the section. We turned back onto the fairyhouse rd which has a few bumps/drags I was tailing out the back of the group and the pacer was ushering me up towards him almost like a yo-yo effect, he was earning his crust here.I was grunting and barking back as much as I could.6.57 . we turned back into the race course.. my head was on the floor as we made the climb on the out section of the course,by now it was just the pacer and me, clubmate had pushed on at 10miles and we had lost 1.. he encouraged me to Catch my breath on the downslope and try open up if possible, it was into a nice headwind, there was to be no opening up, I felt flat, void of energy but still managed to claw a few seconds under my target. 6.48 as we entered the last mile. . around the top bend and into the last km with the wind on my back .I'm still clinging onto the pacer I even ask have we much time to spare, he tells me nothing that you have to catch a few people up in front, I muster a canter but still don't get there, the pacer encourages me so I try again, I'm in the group as we enter the home straight, clock says 1.29.51 so I make a final dash to cross in 1.29.58
    Official time 1.29.49
    Happy out, almost!! Turns out there was a prize for 100th place which I missed out by 1 second!

Sept 15
    5 miles@8.35

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice one G.

Sept 17th
    Decided not to do a session and opted for some easy miles.
    Didn't feel great, signs of a head cold/sore throat.
    5m@7.56avg

Sept 18th
    Off out on my m.l.r, felt pretty sh!t tbh, contemplated knocking the session after 3-4miles but persevered knowing that once I got to 5miles it was quicker to keep going than turn back..
    9.6miles@8.03

Sept 19th
    Took it off as I wasn't great.

Selt 20th
    Off out for some easy miles to see how I felt knowing I had an entry for the Dublin half. I was running 7.30s effortlessly with a few strides thrown In at the end of the first 4 miles, so .9m easy with .1 strides. Eased off over the last few kms.
    6.5m@7.44avg.

Sept 21th
    Dublin half
    I picked up a late entry Into the Dublin half. Plan was to run it as part of my long run. Met up with a pal and we did 7.5miles before meeting up with the rest of our group.i felt good over the early miles so I decided I'd try run some mp miles during the half as this is what the rest of the group were doing. First 3 miles went ok but once we turned up towards the zoo the effort spiked .. I was hanging onto the coattails of my group heading up the north rd.. one of the lads could see I was struggling, I told him I was going to knock it but he encouraged me to keep pace. I set the 8mile marker as a target. I kept tailing off before rejoining the crew.i tailed off again heading up whites rd, hit my 8mile target decided to hang-in on the downhill. got to the 9mile marker and pulled in, effort was too much for the pace, grabbed some water and lucozade then trotted on round to the 10mile marker where I walked off..started to take the bib off when it dawned on me that i never before Dnf'd. Told myself to stop feeling sorry for myself and shuffle on regardless.i managed to make it around to st.marys before walking then jog-walked to the finish,walking twice more.
    Chip time 1.39.09
    20.5m for the day /9@mp

Sept 22nd
    5mile recovery loop ,
    felt good /certainly didn't feel ,like I ran 20 the day before. So I decided to keep going. at the start of the 2nd loop the heavens opened. Turning back did cross my mind but if I cant run in Satudays heat I better learn to run in sundays rain. I picked up the pace slightly for the remainder of the run. Got soaked.
    10.5m@8.20
    All in all a week of bad decisions.
    I probably should of knocked wednesdays
    Fridays run was way too fast,should of been 8.30s plus strides not 7.30s
    Stick to the plan and ignore what others are doing..
    As I type this for the 2nd time I'm bunged up again ! First version disappeared!

• Advertisement

Sept 24th
    Solo session.. 3x2miles off 2min jog
    The head was still a bit stuffy but I said I'd dive in and adjust the paces accordingly.The first rep I spluttered along but felt ok, was pleasantly surprised to see I averaged 6.35 for the 2 miles..2nd rep average was 6.40 and final set was also 6.40.. worked hard but controlled over the final set. 1mile c.d to round out
    9miles@7.13avg

Sept 25th
    M.l.r
    I've been wearing the chest strap a lot lately so just ensured I kept the pace sensible,averaged 131
    11.2 miles @8.18

Sept 26th
    Arrived at the club to do a m.p tempo with one of the lads..1mile w.up then 9@m.p 1 c.d..
    Felt really good on the m.p miles averaged roughly 7.11 with the 8th mile a little slower as my pal was struggling..picked it up to 7.06 over the last mile, definately finished knowing I had plenty more to offer, hopefully another 17 miles more!!

Sept 28th
    Met with some of the crew and 5 of us headed out into the Meath countryside..very quiet country roads, nice for a change and certainly hadn't a clue were I was going...took hi5 gels @10&amp;15 miles..felt ok..finished off with the last mile back on the track.
    22miles @7.48 pace

Sept 29th
    Short recovery run
    4.2m@8.48avg
    58miles for the week
    203 for the month

Oct 1st
    This was just 1 of those runs that I didn't want to do..it was cold,wet n windy,I felt flat n tired plus i was short on time...Sure that's expected during marathon training especially towards the end of the training block.. session was meant to be 3x2miles but instead i done 2mile@6.48 avg - 2min jog then - 3mile@6.42 avg.. 2k warm up and 1k c,d
    7m@7.17avg

Oct 2nd
    Relatively easy run
    11.3miles@8.18

Oct 3rd
    Went out at lunchtime hoping to avoid storm Lorenzo, it was quite blustery in places but taught it would only get worse later on...turns out I was wrong as the evening was a lot calmer.. m.p run; cruised through the first 3miles albeit too quickly @7min pace,turned into a head wind and that soon slowed me down..by mile 5 my legs were very heavy and by mile 7
    I was screaming for the session to be over..I still managed to hold pace of 9 miles @ <7.15 for the m.p section..no c.d
    10m@7.12avg

Oct 5th
    23miles@7.51
    Took in most of the dcm route..taking gels at 12&17.. not sure I could stomach more than 3 of the hi5 gels..

Oct 6th
    5miles recovery@8.38avg

Happy to see the back of another heavy week of 50+miles
    Sept I managed 203miles

Oct 8th
    Finally found Lorenzo!! He may have been a few days late but a gale was blowing as I made an attempt at 3x2miles.. 6.45 avg for the first 2miles followed by 2min recovery jog .. 6.50 avg for the next 2miles and this time took 2.5mins jog, the wind certainly took it out of me and finally 6.53 avg for the last section, slower than the previous time I did this workout but the conditions certainly didn't help matters
    9miles@7.30avg

Oct9th
    Recovery/easy run
    7.5miles@8.35 avg

Oct 10th
    Took it off as I felt wrecked and plan was to include m.p miles in weekend long run...

Oct 11th
    6.3miles easy with some strides added at the end of every mile..
    6.3m@7.45

Oct 12th
    Long run.
    Headed out to Duleek to take some rolling hills.. 4miles easy then 10@m.p, felt quite stiff and not very comfortable at the start but found a nice rythym on the m.p miles..averaged 7.11 for the m.p section opted against a gel as my stomach couldn't be trusted, 3miles steady@7.40 to round out the session.
    17.4miles@7.27avg

Oct 14th
    Usual Monday blues but this time felt way worse than before..body was aching so finally bit the bullet and off to the doctors, diagnosis viral Infection.. told to rest up and had my first sick day in about 15years..

Oct 15th
    Felt a little better so I said I'd try a small run since the kids were taken of..small loop around the estate and pulled the plug once it started to rain..
    4miles@8.10

Oct 16th
    Paronia and taper madness had well n truly set in..watching people nail sessions on Strava didn't help.. 5miles with 100mtr strides at end of every mile then 1 mile fast downhill to finish off..
    6.5m@7.27

Oct 18th
    Last big session
    1mile warm up then 1@tempo followed by 8@m.p.. session felt tougher than it should, the first m.p mile had a nice .5m climb were holding pace was a challenge, (7.10)got the legs burning, settled down soon after and all remaining miles came in between 7.11-7.14.. 1 mile easy
    11@7.16avg
    Oct 19/20
    Friday's session took it out of me, felt ok during the run but after felt jaded, decided to skip my final long run and that dose I've been carrying has now gone down into the chest..the log is like a sob story lately but hopefully it has a happy ending.
    Oh and like the wife has told me numerous times since monday: rest means rest / not run !!

Tuesday 22nd
    I hadn't been the doctors In 15years and now I'm back again for the 2nd time in 8days. Diagnosed with a chest infection and put on a course of antibiotics.

Sat
    I still harboured am ambitions of racing dcm, having collected my number on the Friday. I was midway through the course of tablets and had noticed a considerable improvement.i laced up and went for my first run in about 10 days, a 2mile stint around the block, 1 easy and 1 at pmp. Lungs and breathing felt fine and the legs were no doubt fresh.
    8.00/7.20 for the 2 miles..

Sunday 27: Dcm 2019
    First day drug free in about 10-12 days and I must admit I felt good. I was no longer bunged up, chest felt clear too. Maybe things were going to work out in the end. Got collected and headed into town for 7.45'ish..up to the bag drop and then on up to the start.small warm up then on up into wave 1.
    I still wasn't sure how the body would hold up.
    Initially my plan A was to go sub 3.10, I lowered the flag slightly to 3.15 and said id re-evaluated as the race unfolded.. I was running with 1 of the lads from the club and the plan was 7.25 pace.
    First 2 miles were pretty uneventful and the congestion helped us from getting carried away, by mile 3 I was beginning to work and certainly felt the pinch going up manor st and aughrim st, sky blue gave us a shout @the zoo but by the time we reached Aras I knew it was going to be a slog..I flicked across to check the h.r and I could see I was already in the 170s.. During the rock n roll I struggled early on but then grew into the race, maybe today would be the same.. I popped a zero tab at the water station and found the climb out of c.knock not too bad. I'm working pretty hard but the happy face mask is on as I know the wife and kids are around somewhere,thankfully I see them just after myos.. the next 3 miles are a welcome restbite, i pop a gel on the downhill segment..we're ahead of schedule averaging 3.13 pace but the h.r is still in the high 160s. I feel strong going up Laurences rd, my pal drops off,i slow slightly and he soon catches up..once onto the crumlin rd we pass the halfway point in 1.36.30.I'm working extremely hard to maintain pace.. before we vere left I tell my pal to go on without me.. I'm beginning to fade , and fade quickly,the lungs and chest feel fine but the legs feel drained.. the 7.20s drift to 7.50 before I stumble upon 8.10.. 14miles in and my goose is cooked..I stop and take another gel and some water before trying to get going again.. Deep down I know the inevitable and call it a day at the K.C.R.. and my first ever D.N.F.. Here I bump into one of the kindest stewards ever, call the wife to come and get me before making my way back to the baggage drop..
    Was i silly to run/race? Possibly, I was always going to try regardless and I suppose the inevitable happened in the end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Horrible luck G but was worth a go as long as you had your sensible hat on to pull the plug when needed. You deserved better luck with all the training all summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

very bad luck with that - Marathons are horrible as you've all your eggs in 1 basket.
    Go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Unlucky G, hard to take getting sick the week of a marathon, and then having to pull the plug during. From your Strava, it seems you stopped very close to where I called it a day two years ago (again, having been ill in the lead up)

Stay healthy and injury free, and a big marathon PB is on the cards next time out.

Wed 30th Oct
    The body took a a bit of a beating in the bit of dcm I ran.. I was quite sore the following day but the pains had eased greatly by the wed.put on the chest strap to ensure I kept the h.r down and ran quite easy.
    8 miles@8.22avg hr 136avg

Fri 1st nov
    Repeat of wednesdays session only a fraction quicker, didn't feel comfortable at all.
    8miles@8.17 hr 140avg

Sat. 2nd Nov
    Jogged the 2miles up to parkrun. Met up with some of our group and went around d in 23.16
    It was a push at times but the company helped distract from the effort!!
    2mile jog home for 7miles total @ 7.47

Sun 3rd
    Needed some headspace so repeated weds run in reverse. It was lashing rain so I got pretty soaked, rarely looked at the watch but knew I was moving quicker than wed & fri, decided up push the last mile which was uphill, effort was equivalent to last mile in a 5/10k, it was a 6.40 mile and it had me bunched!!!
    8mile @7.32avg

Since dcm debacle I've contemplated doing San seb the end of the month to clonakility the first sat in dec..I felt I was on the cusp of a good run however it wasn't to be and I've opted against a winter marathon in favour of a spring one..more than likely Rotterdam if not Hamburg.. the plan now will be to keep the mileage up with a sprinkle of speed work b4 going back Into a spring block early Jan.

5th Nov
    8 easy enough miles followed by 6xhill sprints and 100m strides..
    9m@8.25avg

6th Nov
    5mile recovery @8.49avg

8th Nov
    5x1k with 2min rec jog..
    3.45/4.01/3.57/3.56/3.46 for 1ks was hoping for better consistency..

9th Nov
    Met with a pal to get some easy early miles in before park run.. felt ok starting off but pretty soon 8.15 min/miles became an effort.. contemplated knocking the run on the head but persevered..ran around park run In 25 mins taking it easy and a further 2 miles easy home
    12miles total@8.14

12Nov
    2.5miles easy followed by 2 sets of 5 x 200m on/200 jog
    Felt much better doing this run although the wind made it a struggle at times.. 1mile easy home
    Reps between 35-41
    6.1miles@7.50avg

14 Nov
    Back to the club for the first time in a few weeks session was 1-4/4-1min intervals with equal recovery..it wasn't the worst session to come back too.. kept the intervals at 6min mile pace apart from the last rep where I tried to keep up with the faster lads..enjoyed the session

6.5m total

15nov
    6.3mile recovery@8.42avg

16/Nov
    17.2miles@7.48
    Took in a park run towards the end, running progression 7.30/7.20/7.14 was a bit of a push in terms of effort but a step forward in terms of how I felt.

17 Nov
    5.1mile recovery run with 5 hills and strides added to the mix
    8.55avg

19nov
    Back to the club for their winter 2mile leg.. . never took park before so was unsure as to what to expect.. was giving a timeslot and after a short warm up it was my turn to go.. the lad I started with took off like a hare so I let him go on..found myself running solo for most of it, was pretty consistent over the first 4 laps of hitting 1.30/2 per 400mts..idled a bit over laps5/6 until I got some company as the faster people caught up with me..was able to kick on over closing lap for a 12.20 finish I think..not overly disappointed with the time as I think there's plenty of scope for improvement..
    5mile total

20nov
    9.5mile general aerobic run, felt good but h.r reading had me dead at one point and over reaching for the other 6miles!!
    9.5m@8min/mile avg

21st Nov
    5.2miles easy@8.24avg

22 Nov
    Down to the Phoenix park to do 4x5mins w. 2.30 jog then 2x4min with 2min jog..
    Quite enjoyable session as I haven't done a session as such in the park in a while plus I had company.. found the 3rd 5min interval tough but otherwise was pleased with effort..had planned on r7nning at 6.30 pace but ended up below 6.20 pace..
    8mile@7.29avg

23 Nov
    Yesterdays run was so enjoyable I was back to the park for a long run.. 14miles@7.51avg

27th nov
    12x400mts off 1min..Barr the 1st rep @1.14 i kept all reps between 1.24-28..
    28th Nov
    7miles@8min/mile

29th Nov
    4mile tempo@6.40 pace..
    3mile w.up/2c.d
    9@7.22avg
    Dec 1st
    6.5mile recovery @8.50s

Dec 4th
    Down to the Phoenix park to do some intervals: 12x400mts with 1min rec.Had company for this and managed to keep all reps below 85 secs which I was delighted with.
    8m total @7.53

Dec 5th: Easy run 6.3m@8.17avg
    Dec 7th: 4.3m@8.0 avg
    Dec 10th: 7.2m@7.55avg soaked on this
    Dec 11th: back to the p.park this time 7x800s off 90. It was a brutal blustry day..Started off at the zoo heading to c.knock gate before returning the same way. Reps were 3.15/3.11/3.05 /2.58/2.57/2.57/2.51.
    Total 6.5m
    Dec 12th: back to the club for the first time in a few weeks.went out on the road to warm up and never returned, just ambled around having the chats
    7.3m@8.28avg
    Dec 13th: tempo run 2.5mile tempo@6.45avg/3min jog/2.5m [email]tempo@6.39avg..tough[/email] at times depending on the way the wind blew.feel like I need more of these runs under the belt.
    Dec 15th: 11miles@7.47, finished off with the last 2k@m.p
    Dec 18th: 3x1mile off 3min then Into 3x.5m off 90..
    1 mile reps were 6.16/6.16/6.28
    .5m reps=3.03/3.04/3.07
    6.8m total
    I'm seriously struggling for motivation lately. I've entered the Robbie and Rita 5k In navan on the 27th,hopefully it inspires me to get out and run until then. Come 7th Jan I'll be into a new marathon block having signed up for Rotterdam marathon on April 5th.

20th Dec
    13.1m @7.48,
    Nice run down the canal veering off @phibsborough heading down glasnevin before going through finglas back to blanch.., a run of 2 halves..downhill and uphill!! Uphill had the heading too
    21st Dec
    3m easy run to park run, park run @ tempo/3-5min easy then 2mile tempo
    9m total
    Dec 22
    10k recovery @8.38avg
    Dec 24th
    7.4m easy with 4 sets of strides @8.23avg
    Dec 25th
    4.35m@8.10
    Dec 27th
    Robbie and Rita 5k..
    Wasn't too sure what to expect bar blowing off a few cobwebs..a few pals ran this also who would be slightly faster than myself, they were aiming for sub 19 and I was planning to stay as close as possible to them, that lasted all of 1km before they started pulling away, I went out pretty fast, 3.40/3.50/3.57/3.51/3.55.....10secs 19.15 finishing time.. managed to reel my pals In and finish ahead of both of them. Just shy of a p.b.. pretty pleased with the time considering time of year.
    6m total for the day

28th
    7.3m@8.30avg
    Dec 29th
    Madness I know but after going close I had ambitions of going sub 19 so I entered the clonliffe Xmas cracker.i did both races last year but had an extra day to recover..I planned on not going out as fast as r&r but to not settle in behind people and try push the pace were possible..splits were 3.45/3.53/3.56/3.56/3.37..again 1 of the usually faster lads ran with me but I pulled away from him over the 2nd km, tried to keep pushing but the legs had lost a little zip, disappointed with the time of km 4, Its a slight downhill but there was a bit of a head wind..pushed hard once we re-entered the stadium and managed to finish strong in a replica time of 19.15..
    So 2 5ks in 3 days and both with the same result.
    6.5m total
    Dec 31st
    6.7m@8.27avg.

Yearly total
    1910 miles
    A few pbs achieved
    5k 19.44 to 19.07
    5m: 33.07 to 31:50
    10k: 40.58 to 40:20
    half 1:31:30 to 1:29:50

Jan 1st
    I took in the d.15 park run double, heading to hartstown to run parkrun in 23.20 before doing 10k easy then up to porterstown to run 21.57, 5k jog home got me
    15.25@7.50 avg pace
    Jan 2nd
    Recovery run with 5 sets of 100mt strides
    6m@8.44
    Jan 3rd
    2k warm up them a 5mile tempo,possibly one of my best tempos ever, zipped along and was conscious not to push the pace too much., felt quite controlled...pace for the tempo avg 6.42 with avg h.r @162..
    7.3m@7.20avg
    Jan4th
    6.5m@7.57
    Again felt easier than it should have...only for I had to be home for a certain time I would of added more miles
    Jan 5th
    13.2 miles around the Phoenix park with some of our crew.. pace was leisurely
    13.2miles@ 8.18 avg w. Avg h.r 135

55miles for the week which is not a bad start to my marathon training block. I'd be delighted if I could maintain this milage. If added some h.r readings as I've been wearing my h.r strap on every run. I'm going for vo2 and lactate testing in a few weeks but for now I'm working off max h.r from a recent 5k which was 182 and resting h.r 44.. be interesting to see how my calculations measure up to the test results

• Advertisement

7th Jan
    8miles w. 10x20sec strides
    8th Jan
    5.5mile tempo in the phoenix.park..felt good and avg. 6.44 for the 5.5miles..again mail g sure not to race the pace!!!
    9 miles total@7.24avg

9th Jan
    Easy recovery run, met 1 of the lads and bumped in g.fleece as we ambled around porterstown/blanch
    7.15m@8.38
    10th Jan
    6.2m@8.08

11th Jan
    15min distance trial..was on my own at the track, covered 3900mts which is just shy of my 5k pb pace..slight.y disappointed, the weather was crap n didn't help with motivation...
    6.5m for the day

12th Jan
    Met up with some of the crew for a long run, headed to the park again but parted ways once at whites gate as I was doing 8@ m.p(7.15)..I used the o.s/Furze triangle coupled with the North rd and centerfield ave loop.. 2 laps was almost 8 mile, found heading up chesterfield quite challenging and was really working to hold pace over the last half mile..,albeit the legs were heavy from previous days d.t.. rejoined the crew at whites gate for some slower but certainly not easier miles home.
    16.3m @7.34

14/1
    I was late getting to the club so only got in 800mt of a warm up before joining the group, 10x400mts with 200 active recovery.. all reps between 83-85sec..tried to keep pace with the faster group, hanging out the back of the pack but always felt in control whilst working!
    6.2m total

15 Jan
    10mile easy enough @8.25avg..
    16 Jan
    Easier miles 4.3@8.54avg
    17 th Jan
    Went for lactate testing, covered almost 5m in total time I was on treadmill..later that evening my calf locked up while in work..
    18th Jan
    Calf still pretty tight so booked a physio session, I still got 7 miles in b4hand so obviously noting major...
    19th
    Again calf is sore starting out but loosens out after a mile or 2,i could feel I was aggravating it on downhills in particular..
    18.2miles@7,54avg

21 Jan
    10x400 w.45 sec rest..aim was consistency and target was 83 seconds..first 3 were hit n miss 79/85/80 before I found consistency hitting the remainder in 82/83..tough session
    8.65miles for the session

22 Jan
    10.10miles Easy aerobic run@8.16 avg

23 Jan
    3x1mile off 1min..target 6.07..used a local .5mile loop from park run
    1st mile went well 6.07, barely recovered before it was time to restart.
    2nd mile had to really work going up the 2nd drag a d finished in 6.07
    3rd mile was a slog, legs filled with lactate and were really heavy, was well off target before picking it up over the closing stages 6.12
    6.6miles

24 jan
    4.6 miles recovery@8.37

25 jan
    More recovery Inc. Park run
    6m@9.13avg

26 jan
    Mammoth marathon pace session.16miles ...
    This session had hung over me all week as I wanted to see where Im at before I decide on a goal for Rotterdam..used a local loop to monitor progress or in case I blew up..I found 8@7.15 difficult 2 weeks ago..set out at <7.05 for first 6.5miles before upping it to <6.55 for 6.5miles and finishing off 3miles<6.50..quads were hurting over the closing 3miles although h.r remained steady.. 1:51 for m.p section which is 6.57 avg..I'll do a similar session in 2 weeks before I decide on a final target time.
    19.4miles total @7.08avg

super session - was that a straight 16 miles or did you break it up??

Well done on the 3x1m - the 1min recovery is horrible!!

super session - was that a straight 16 miles or did you break it up??

Well done on the 3x1m - the 1min recovery is horrible!!

Straight through..2k w.p/16m.p progression/3k c.d
    The 3x1 mile was a tougher session for me!

that's a super 16 so.

You need to be thinking about 6.50's for Rotterdam after that.

that's a super 16 so.

You need to be thinking about 6.50's for Rotterdam after that.

I need to convince myself first..initially aim was <3.10,currently toying with 3.05-8 but we're still 10 weeks out so who knows just once I remain injury free!!
    Congrats on a super performance yesterday!

28th Jan
    5x500mts target was 98secs..2.5mins rest.
    Did the session indoors up in abbotstown at lunchtime track was quiet and once I fou d my ,markings I was good to go.
    Reps were 98/100/98/99/100
    Found the session tough and felt every step of the extra 100mts compared to the 400s the previous week,needed the 2.5mins recovery time too.. Wasn't a fan of the sharp/elevated bends in the center.
    6.25miles for session

29th
    10miles easy@8.21avg
    31 Jan
    5.5miles easy@8.32avg
    233 miles for Jan, my most ever in a month.

1st feb
    4.35 easy with some strides @8.23
    2feb
    Trim 10mile
    1st race of the year and having blown up in this race last year I set myself the lofty ambitions of running 66:30 and a 2min pb. I was cautious but felt comfortable running the 1st 4 miles in 6.36/6.35/6.37/6.33, this slowed slightly as we turned left at dunderry and into a stiff headwind,I tried to shelter behind a few lads but the pace slowed to 6.50.. upon realising this I took over and was the front runner of the 66 bus..this remained the order for the next few miles running 6.36/6.35/6.38, the group In front were just out of reach until a lad from trim joined me and we upped the pace to 6.30 over the remaining rolling hills,and closing the gap on the runners ahead.. from here I caught sight of a Ratoath runner who I know and decided to chase them down over the closing mile. Caught up with them within a half mile and tried to push on over the final .25m but the brutal headwind as we entered the ind. estate put paid to any explosive finish. Finished in 66:00 flat, chuffed but realising there is plenty more to offer, not at any stage over 9.75miles was I digging in or hanging on, always felt comfortable and in control. I even tried to strike up conversation with clubmates over 5-6 miles only to be told to stop talking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great running in Trim on Sunday, although you seem to be describing a different race to the one I took part in ;) A nice confidence booster as you go into a heavy enough few weeks I'd say. Are you racing a half?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Great running in Trim on Sunday, although you seem to be describing a different race to the one I took part in ;) A nice confidence booster as you go into a heavy enough few weeks I'd say. Are you racing a half?

Sure j, you were that far ahead of me it could have snowed and you wouldn't of known!!
    Fairly motoring yourself and congrats on breaking the hour mark.
    Hope to do bohermeen early March.. what's next for yourself

Advertisement