Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow the leader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

23/5
    Back to attempt a Tuesday tempo..back to the scene of last week's crime p.park and the weather is equally as warm..same warm up and I start the tempo from c.knock gate turning up by ord.survey and furze Rd..down to popesX,loop of the pitches and back to Mt. Joy roundabout...I started off well but began to wilt after about 2miles..I dug in and although I wanted to stop rounding the pitches- I despise this area of the run.. I kept on and although slightly slower I tough it out to the end..20+ degrees at midday didn't help..
    Splits7/7.02/7.03/7.07/7.17 got caught at traffic
    6.75miles×7.23avg

26/5
    Back to the 10k McMillan plan and truth be told I wasn't looking forward to this..
    I've learned over the last week, I'm no sunshine runner, I never realised it before but it takes alot out of me..plan was 2x2miles/2x1 miles.. picked same route as always for this run to keep consistency..
    1mile warm up followed by the first of the 2s.. splits were 6.30/6.50.. melted and hung on to the end, it was struggle..it was net uphill and into the wind.. 5min jog then second of the 2s.. still Into the wind at the start and these clock 6.50/6.56..at least there consistant.. consistantly bad!!!! I think I'm recovered and reduce the rest to 4mins.. I begin to start the single miles.. I get .25m up the road and I'm like wtf,hamster in a ferris wheel n legs like jelly..I lower the flag but plough on to get home in under 7mins..3min recovery then the last mile..it's tough,the sun is strong,I'm goosed I'm hanging around the 7.10 mark until I take the final corner,finally all the up hills come down at once..final 2mins,net down hill,I get to make up some time..I go from 7.10 to 6.54, it looks respectable on the watch.. tough session,I didn't hit the desired paces but I kept on when at times I wanted to take easier option(6x1s).. again weather hit 20+degrees..

28/5
    Off on my hols to majorca-alcudia, so no real plan for the week apart from get out when I could..first morning and I managed to squeeze in 5.5 miles...bit of sight seeing and trying to get my bearings..lost my way a bit but was delighted to get 5.5miles 7nder the belt before the weather got too warm..
    5.5miles@8m.m avg..
    30/5
    The accumulation of a few beers each night meant I was later starting than I had hoped.. I wanted to get a bit of speed work in but it was too warm for a tempo plus the running path along the beach was only 1.5m in length so I decided to to 3-2-1-1-2-3mins taking in 1 min rest after the 3 and 2 mins and 30 seconds between the 1mins..
    Avg paces for the reps were 3min@6.14avg// 2mins@6.16avg// 1min@6min//1min@6.16// 2min@6.05// 3mins@ 6.16avg then 1.4miles to cooldown
    Total 4.25@7.53avg
    31/5
    Left this easy run until late afternoon when the sun had settled easy 5k@7.55 avg...up and back along the running track..
    4/6
    Took the rest of the holiday off running so now back on home soil and back to doing a lsr..meet up with a pal who is training for Waterford marathon, he was on a 20miler so I met up after 4miles, took it handy enough in the 8.20-8.30 range mainly, just wanted to sweat the excess alcohol from me..got a decent 14miles , more than I had planned.. maybe now I can knuckle down a get a few decent weeks training into me before dunshaughlin and clones 10ks..I was getting a little disheartened before the hols as I feel I'm getting slower and not improving for the training I was doing..maybe it was just the warm weather that knocked me for 6 before the hols... we'll soon find out!!!!!

6/6
    Original plan had me down for a 6 mile tempo but instead i opted for a mixed bag approach as I was still feeling the holiday beers.. started out with 1 mile easy isherwood before doing a 2mile tempo@7m.m then eased off slightly before tackling some hills at tolka valley between finglas/cabra, concluded with 1.5miles steady uphill back to the car...
    6.2miles @7.32avg
    7/6
    Cross train... spin class
    8/6
    2k warm up before I got going on some speed intervals..
    10X400mts with 50seconds rest.. I had done this session a few weeks back and I was delighted to get all reps at or u derived the 85 second mark splits were
    4.85miles@8.23 avg..
    9/6
    4miles nice and easy, sweated more than usual, as it was quite humid..
    4miles@8.02
    10/6
    Was feeling a little guilty after skipping the Tuesday tempo and feeling a little normal again so I jumped into the local park run for a 3mile tempo.. short warm up of .5miles as I slept in and was running late.. started off well and a little too fast before I had to stop and tie both laces.. didn't push it too hard but still managed 7m.m for the first, was cautious not to push too fast and keep it tempo pace which I did as second mile was 6.57.. remained steady before finishing with a 6.49 and still had more to give.. Happy with the days work..
    3.1miles @6.50avg
    11/6
    Long run, no report as I wanna watch the Ireland game!!!
    15miles@8.10 avg

13/6
    Tempo Tuesday again and big I've come to dress these..i bailed on last week's attempt and the 2 previous attempts I failed to hit the prescribed targets, so I was looking for a way out, a skinful of drink on Sunday watching the footy and a stiff back almost out paid to the run but I decided to suck it up and suffer.. back to the p.park for the usual route, trying not to start off too fast.. kept it consistent heading down c.field ave and down by popesX, again round the soccer pitches and back out and up c.field to c.knock gate.. splits came in at 6.50/6.57/7/7.10/6.54
    5@7m.m
    Total 6.2miles @7.14avg
    14/6
    Nice easy run around local loop, decided to run it in reverse for a chance
    4.3miles@8.07avg

16/6
    This was the day that I got to tackle the beast!!! The final key workout from McMillan best 10k plan.. I had built this session up mainly through trepidation and reading some reports from the 10k thread.. luckily for me a faster running buddy decided to jump in on the workout with me and we ran Friday evening at7pm similar race time to dunshaughlin... again we used the usual loop that I've used for the previous weeks..did a 2k warm up then tackled the first 2miles.. we felt Comfortable and in control hitting the first mile in 6.31, contained ourselves and hit the 2nd In 6.35.. 5min jog then onto the second set.. first mile was tough as it was into the wind with a persistent drag,we clocked 6.45 and then 6.42 for the second..these were tough... onto the final set and the legs were a .title like jelly..i needed the full 5mins to recover.. onto the 3rd set and the first mile starts off with a climb, so we planned on easing Into it and then Increasing the tempo as the mile went on..we started off about 7m.m
    pace and fi is he'd off the mile with a 6.52,not ideal and we'll off pace,upped the ante on the second day mile and notched 6.35 finishing strong and feeling I had more to offer, albeit not much more tbh..forgot to mention the plan was to be in the 6.30-6.45 range..
    Splits for the sets were
    (6.31/6.35) (6.45/6.42) (6.52/6.35)
    Total 8miles@ 7.48avg

18/6
    Work party on Saturday night didn't leave me in good shape for the long run sunday ..so i tamed it back and notched 10.5miles @ 8.08avg.. warm/sticky and dehydrated summed up this run.. got it done/job done...
    20/6
    Final tempo Tuesday, opted for the parkrun route as I was on a break from work instead of tackling the phoenix park..a very short warm up of .55m then onto a 3.5mile tempo averaging about 6.53 per mile.. quite humid but happy to have it done whilst enjoying the good weather..
    4.7miles @7.11avg..

• Advertisement

22/6
    Had no free time to run today as I had to collect the kids straight after work.. it was a nice warm day so I decided to throw the double buggy in the boot and head to the phoenix park.. an easy 3miles ensued, just running down to the popesX , 2 ice-cream and a drink later we headed back to the car..
    3miles@8.24avg
    23/6
    Final workout before the race, just an easy run with 5 sets of Strides thrown in for good measure.. Strides where about 30secs
    3.23@7.44avg
    24/6
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    Finally it's race week, this race seemed to be looming on the horizon for a long time. After hearing good things about it I was looking forward to it.. I think I was more curious to see if I could hit the predicted target.. target was 6.40''s for a finishing time off 41.30 either way I was expecting to pb.. I arrived up in good time arriving at 6.45, collected the number, got ready and then did a little warm up.. 2-3 laps of the field with some Strides thrown in..jogged down to the start too...I was told it's a fast start and be careful I don't get dragged along too quick as I'd pay for it later on the back end of the course going up the hill/drag.. I positioned myself just off the 40 min marker, mid-pack..i hear a few pple around me discussing goal times of sub 42 so i know im in good company once i finish ahead of them..before I know it we where off... got off to a decent start with a quick check of the watch as we passed the community hall reading 6.20..,oops I'm being sucked along so I ease off a little.. first mile beeps at 6.36, which I'm happy with.. I find myself on the shoulder of a club local, so I try to feed of the energy of his support, I can also hear the guys from the start targeting sub 42 closely behind calling out splits at every km.. second mile comes and goes in 6.41 which is surprising..I keep at it trying, to stay relaxed and engage in a little conversation with the dunshaughlin lad..we stay neck and neck for mile3 coming in at 6.44, am I slowing down or Him? Shortly before the turn uphill I decide to get ahead and mile 4 is 6.42, slightly off pace again..after for the initial climb I feel ok,then the sub 42 guy comes up on my shoulder.. we jestion for position and go tit-for-tat for the next mile, the 5th mile seemed to last an age and by the end I was feeling the drag, mile 5 is 6.55 ,I knew it was gonna be slow and expected to loose some time.. I try to kick on but the legs are flat.. sub42 guy is just in front so I stay with him, we round a bend then we see 800 to go,I try to pick up, not much there, then I begin to get swallowed up by the closing pack, mile 6 is 6.45, I push again at 400, i get a little more this time, a challenger or 2 come with me, I push on once more and a challenger passes me, I hit the turbo's and excellerate past pulling away from the chasing pack and finishing with a few meters to spare.. finish time 41.44, a 45second pb which I'm pleased with, in hindsight I think if I was more aggressive I would have gone under 41.30,was disappointed with mile6.. although I loved the sprint battle at the end

Forgot to mention that I get a second crack of the whip as I'm doing the clonee10k this Thursday.. slightly more aggressive approach should see me home under the 41.30 mark

25/6
    I Was in 2minds Wether to do the long run after the last night's race ,my mind was soon made up though as when I went to start running the legs were heavy and stiff,they did loosen up a bit but I kept the pace easy and relaxed and just did a 6mile recovery Jog
    6miles@8.14avg
    27/6
    No real agenda or plan,I didn't want to do too tough a session as I had another 10k race in 2 days time so I opted for an easy mile (8m.m) followed by 3 steadyish miles (7.25avg) and another easy mile to finish off(8mm), the steady miles, especially felt tough as it was quite warm
    5.24@7.39avg

29/6
    A second crack at going sub 41.30, I was feeling optimistic and more confident after the dunshaughlin performance ..the plan was to be more aggressive and try not have a bad mile, like mile5 in dunshaughlin.. number collection was quick and easy,
    I hung about the grasshopper for a bit as it was quite wet outside,chatted to a few locals before heading out to do a 2k warm up and a few Strides.. the numbers where alot less than the dunshaughlin10k, maybe as it was a midweek run. A pretty low key start with no timing mat , it felt more like a parkrun than a race..I got off to a decent start and nicely into rhythm..I never noticed it warming up but we where running into a head wind for the guts of 2 miles on a fairly flat course..I tried to push the pace and not settle in behind others, I noticed though it's not as competitive.. the miles pass In 6.33/6.42/6.45/6.45/6.38, as I hit the last mile Im pretty much on my own, I've passed a few friends who are struggling but probably too far back to catch the group up ahead..effort levels are high but I try up it,slowly I'm hunting down a female runner up ahead, I draw level pretty much on the 6mile marker and move ahead just after she doesn't put up a challenge and I stride it out over the last few meters..
    Watch time 41.17
    Clock time 41.19
    27 seconds improvement on dunshaughlin 10k and over a minute faster than last year's pb

30/6
    A nice gently jog to keep the legs loose after the race yesterday, felt good
    5miles@8.05avg
    1/7
    First longish run with some marathon pace miles thrown in..I officially start the marathon plan on Tuesday but just wanted to see what I'm letting myself in for..threw on ear phones for the first times in years and soon realised why I prefer to run without them, I had stopped 3 times in the first mile!!
    Anyway 5miles@8m.m /5@7.30 /1@8mm
    Total 11.1miles @7.52avg
    4/7
    Marathon plan finally under way, I'll be following the p&d plan up to 55miles
    First session 8miles general aerobic with 10 sets of 100 to Strides.. I decided to do the Strides at the end of each mile then double up in miles 6&7 on the half miles mark...felt good and aimed to keep the miles @7.45m.m pace, did so on all miles
    8.2m@7.46 pace

6/7
    Second session and again it was a general aerobic run, I threw on the heart rate monitor as I wasn't sure what pace this would be,it helped control the speed and stopped me getting carried away..i aimed to keep the heart rate below 140 which I managed to do
    9miles @8.22avg
    8/7
    I had to switch the days about for the long and recovery run.. was originally meant to start the long run at 7am , but I struggled to peel myself out of the bed at 6.30, and once I missed that window It was going to be a mid morning run as the first album lions test was kicking off at 8.30.. straight after the game I laced up and took the short spin down to the phoenix park. Parked at c.knock gate then proceeded with the run.. 13miles were due, 5 easy and 8 @ m.p easy miles ranged front 8.0-8.30, and the m.p miles ranged from 7.28-7.37, felt good but a little dehydrated towards the end as it was quite humid.
    13.1miles @7.45 avg
    9/7
    Again I threw on the hr. strap as I'm trying to slow down on the recovery run..I aimed this time to keep the hr. <135, this equated to about 8.30 pace although I did clock one of my slowest miles in a long time of 8.54,
    4.5miles @8.35avg
    First week of the P&d 12 week plan complete...I'm trying g to bet a better understanding did get of the paces as they are quite generic
    I've broke it down to the following
    Long run 8.15m.m
    M.pace 7.30-40
    Aerobic 8.15-30
    Lactate 6.50-7.0m.m
    Recovery 8.30+

• Advertisement

11/7
    Week 2 session1, plan was 11 miles and that's what I got in.. I'm beginning to slow down a little a D not get too excited on the ru s.. managed to keep the pace at 8.15 target then increased it slightly for the last 3 miles to 8.05..comfortable aerobic run
    11milmes @8.11avg
    12/7
    It was meant to be a rest day but I kept ewes I wouldn't get out Thursday so had to move my tempo session forward. Not ideal running a tempo after a long /medium run but that's life and I'm trying to follow the plan as best I can..2 miles easy then 4 miles tempo, miles came in at 6.42/6.56/6.51/6.45.. followed by 2.5 miles easy ..was a little tired before the run but delighted to have it done now.
    13/7
    Rest... feeling it today, a little tired but plugging on!

15/7
    Week 2 and time for the long run, 15miles was on the plan..out nice and early on Sat. Morning for a 7.45am start..same route as last week and just adding on loop from c.knock gate to mt Joy roundabout up to farmleigh and back across to the gate X2.. I was quite stiff starting out as I had been doing some heavy lifting at home the day before.. soon loosened up for a warm but quite enjoyable run... it was great to see so many runners out so early and there was a good buzz in the park due to the fit live 5/10k events being on... finished the 15miles just in time to catch up with the other half who was taking part in the 5k..
    15miles@8.09 avg
    16/7
    I opted to skip the recovery run as i was again working at home, loading a skip full of concrete had the back pretty shot..

18/7
    I've an entry Into the fingal 10k this coming weekend, don't know Wether to race it or just do a tempo...decisions!!!
    I've just shuffled things about incase I do race it, instead of 8 easy with 8 x100mt Strides I moved Thursdays run forward to get the medium long run done
    11miles general aerobic, again I ran similar route as previous week only for in opposite direction..it was quite warm and I was sweating buckets after 1.5miles but there was a nice breeze in the face for the bulk of it, the miles ticked along nicely and I was able to keep the hr. below 145 considering it was very warm..
    10.75miles@8.15avg

19/7
    Set out late in the evening to get a recovery Jog in,done my best to run slow and by feel without looking at the watch for pace..only did a check after 2.5miles and was happy to see if was about the 8.30 range,still a tad bit fast for recovery but I'm getting better,ended up doing
    4.3miles @8.26avg

21/7
    Long run time .. moved forward from Sunday due to fingal 10k.. I was due to do 16m with 10@m.p.. I had a number of reasons to skip this but then I'd be struggling to fit it in on a later date;, no breakfast, **** lunch,very little water drank, tired, sore back, had the kids..it would of made more sense to skip fingal10k and do the long run when I was supposed too..but no,I'm a stubborn aul mule at the best of times so I decided I'd suffer if I had too but I'd get it done..dropped the kids off at the grannies, quick change and off i went, it's a little over 5k to the phoenix park from the house so I choose to do 3m easy down to the park then do the mp miles in the park..just shy of c.knock gate the watch beeped so I start the m.p miles I head around north Rd direction ,past the zoo across to wellington monument.. I'm a little fast over the first 4, suppose to be 7.30-7.40 range ..7.29/7.27/7.27/7.27/ all into a slight headwind.. I reigned it in slightly over the S bends up ordinance survey Rd back across the North Rd to the zoo and cut up beside the polo grounds 7.26/7.29/7.22/7.24/7.30.. the miles where ticking along nicely and I was almost feeling great, to compound my crappy eating day I forgot to bring a gel or 2,I could do with them at this stage,I turn onto chesterfield Ave for the last of the mp miles,with the wind on the back but I feel like I'm fading..mind over matter though I stick at it and clock 7.30, 10 mp miles are now done and Its still 1/2 mile Back to the gate, so as ye do, I'll keep going at marathon pace..I take a detour towards farmleigh then cut across the path back to the gate for another mile @m.p, last 2 mp miles were at 7.30...I shuffle up to the garage for a well earned bottle of water before continuing on the journey home
    3 easy/11@mp/3 not so easy
    17m@7.44avg avg hr 154
    Not to self: m.p miles are not a race......
    Fuel and hydrate are equally as important to as the run

22/7
    Up to the local parkrun for trot, was meant to be recovery run but I partnered up with a pal for a casual jog/chat... I was surprised and also disappointed to see we averaged 7.40 for the lot,it didn't feel that fast plus we where even lapped by the winner, the joys of running with company instead of solo..
    3.1@7.40avg

23/7
    After having a solid weeks training I opted to show some self discipline and not race the fingal 10k but do it as Tuesdays tempo run..Tuesdays tempo run is 5@6.45-7.00mm..a rather relaxed and casual morning seen me arrive over to swords at 9.40..parked up,a little warm up a of a half mile then into the starting pen..a slow and congested start made me glad I wasn't out for a pb,however once out on the motorway I found myself getting sucked along in 6.45/6.42, I hit the breaks soon after mile 2, it was stick or twist time, chase a pb or follow the training plan.. the plan wins out this time.. 7.00/6.57/ are the next 2 miles although I'm going off the km markers of 4.15 per km..I'm working but in control.next mile comes in at 6.44 before the last mile ,which has a tough drag section..a lad I know comes up on my shoulder at the last km, we exchange a few words before he pushes on, I draw up beside him again and encourage him to the finish without going balls out..i finish in 42.32 which is only 10 seconds slower than last year in which I went all out..Happy with the days work
    6.2@6.49avg

25/7
    Back to the grind after Sundays race/run and it was 11m general aerobic run, felt great and the miles ticked by quite easily,I've been wearing the hr monitor on alot of the runs and notice it's staying reasonabley low
    11miles@8.17 avg//// avg hr 133
    26/7
    Recovery 5 Miles @8.34 average
    27/7
    I moved my long run forward as we were at a wedding the weekend.. again I put the monitor on, it turned out to be a good run where I kept my pace and hr in check, I had a full days work ahead of me after the run and surprisingly felt ok come the end of the shift..
    18miles @8.23avg // avg hr 136
    29/7
    Day of the wedding so I opted for a short progression run as i had a few beers the night before that needed sweating out plus I had a day on the beer ahead of me..
    Mile 1 8.00
    Mile 2 7.35
    Mile 3 7.20
    Mile4 6.38
    4miles@7.22avg

30/7
    Day after the wedding and I felt quite good, no hang over, just tired but nothing a mid day snooze couldn't cure so in the late afternoon I headed out for some faster than planned aerobic miles,close to marathon pace and i was quite happy with the effort level to get to the desired time..
    6.65miles@7.46avg

The last few weeks have involved alot of shuffling of runs but I'm hoping it settles down now,on a plus side I've pretty much got all the runs in bar 1 recovery run...

1/8/17
    The log has gone a bit stale and is getting neglected of late..
    Usual general aerobic run
    12miles@8.16

4/8
    This run was meant to be done on the Thursday but I didn't have time to get out so it meant I'd be doing tempo on Friday and long run Saturday morning..a 1.5m warmup was followed by 6.33/6.49/6.53/6.42.. the first mile I tried to run by feel without looking at the watch, upon noticing the pace I dialled it back until the end of the 4th mile where I decided to put a fast finish in hence the lap time dropped from 6.49 to 6.42..I kept the pace steady enough for the next 2miles as they were up a long drag...
    8.5miles@7.19 avg.... 4m tempo@6.46avg

5/8
    Long run 17miles with the last 3 faster finish @ 7.46/7.50/7.15
    17m@8.05 avg

6/8
    Recovery run
    4miles@8.33avg
    7/8
    Bank holiday run, felt fresh and changed up the route heading up and back route along the canal
    Was meant to be general aerobic but first 5k where at 7.20avg/ 6miles along canal@8.15avg then 5k @7.25avg
    Total 12.25miles@7.51avg

8/8
    Easy recovery run
    4miles@8.48avg

9/8
    Into the second mesocycle on the plan and some speed work..
    5x1k @5k pace with 2min rec jog, where on the menu..
    2k warm up then I got stuck in..1st rep was a little too fast coming in at 3.48/ 2nd rep came in at 3.51/ 3rd came in at 3.58/ 4th came in at 3.58/
    5th came in at 3.57 ...I was feeling good so I threw in an extra rep and that came home in 3.59..
    This was a tough session as I haven't done much speed intervals of late,into a head wind all the way round too,target was under 4.00m/km which I achieved total for day 8.75miles@7.30avg

12/8
    5.4 miles easy enough pace with some Strides thrown in, took in the local parkrun ....6 sets of .1m strides
    7.39avg
    13/8
    Rock n roll half
    I had long debated Wether to race this to try gauge where I'm at in my training or do the planned session of 15m with 12@mp, in the end I opted to stick with the plan..kinda..I was going to do the 13.1@m.p of 7.30-40..a friend was going to tag along for as long as he could in the hope of a half marathon pb too..
    I arrived at the start shortly after 8, dropped the bag off, started to warm up, then got a call of nature..
    Q's for the cubicles were insane, tried to be clever and headed into the coffee shop next to the baggage drop off, q wasn't as long, little did I realise it was moving every so slow, anyway I missed my starting time 8.30,once I left the coffee shop and a quick dash to the start I crossed over the start line with 9 minutes on the clock,just behind d the 2hr pacers..Basically the first 5 Miles were frustrating as hell, getting stuck in crowds,weaving thru people..obviously my own fault as I started late, I found myself speeding up/slowing down, repeat..no rhythm..I managed to hit target pace but at times I had to work for it..I didn't find the park as tough as previous years maybe because I was at a slower pace,the last mile we increased the tempo when we realised my pal could go sub 1.38, we both came home in 1.37.50..
    Frustrating day at the office,I didn't do much of warm up or cool down as the family where waiting at the finish, 13.5 miles for the day
    13.1@7.27 avg// avg hr 148

I have totally fallen off the wagon with regards to updating the training log, on a more positive note though I've kept up the training and even topped out with my highest ever milage..
    Here's a quick brief of what I've got up to over the past few weeks
    15/8
    6 miles easy with some Strides thrown in for good measure
    6m@7.48 avg
    16/8
    Medium long run
    12miles@8.09avg
    18/8
    7mile tempo run, took in the Frank Duffy route as practice for the race the following week
    Tempo 7m@7.10, slower end of tempo.. 11miles@7.22avg
    19/8
    Recovery run
    5miles@8:37avg
    20/8
    Long run
    21miles@8.09avg
    22/08
    6.2miles with 6x400mts strides thrown in
    23/8
    8miles on a treadmill..first time on a treadmill in months,First time on one at 5.30am!!
    25/8
    5miles, 1mile warm up then 4m@m.p
    5m@7.41avg
    26/8
    Frank Duffy 10mile
    1.5m warm up, target was under 70mils, I ran 70.30 last year and was confident I'd improve on that, but by how much? Plan was to go out fast and take advantage of the fast downhill start, I did just that averaging 6.30 for the first 2 miles, settled into a nice rhythm of just under 7m.m and kept pace consistant for the next few miles including going up the climbed and the drag on the north Rd, it wasn't until 7.5miles I started to doubt myself as the heat was taking its toll,I dug in though and kept the pace under 7 until the last mile,I wanted to kick on but the hills had taken its toll, I did manager to muster up a 3/4pace jog/sprint to finish in 1.09.11
    Splits where 6.29/6.33/6.49/6.57/7.00/7.03/6.56/6.53/6.59/7.04
    10.1miles@6.51avg

27/8
    Leggy 16miles the day after frank Duffy race, surprised at the pace as I ached
    16miles@8.11
    29/8
    Easy run 5miles@8.14
    30/8
    Interval run
    2mile warm up then 4 sets of .75m with 2 1/2min rec jog
    .75intervals where at 6.15pace
    9miles@7.30avg
    31/8
    Medium long run 10miles@8.00m.m
    02/9
    Long run,
    21miles@8.03avg, slightly faster than I had planned
    3/9
    Recovery Jog 5miles@8.35
    5/9
    Felt **** and tired ...was meant to do 8miles instead I did 6.3, I got the key parts in though 5 X .4miles, 90sec rec jog...averaged 6 m.m for the intervals
    6.3m@7.26avg
    6/9
    Recovery run, 4miles@8.49 again I felt wrecked, the plan had me down for 6miles
    7/8
    Easy run with 4x.1mile strides.. 4miles@7.49avg

8/9
    4 easy miles with some Strides, 4 sets of .1m strides
    4miles@7.56avg
    9/9
    The plan had me down to do a 10k tune up race the day before the long, I couldnt find any to suit my schedule so I just switched it up and did the long run on Saturday and entered the lakes10k on Sunday..the long run I did was 15.5miles while also taking in a parkrun enroute,I ran the parkrun pretty much at m.p as I jumped in with a group of lads I know before slowing it back down on the jog home..
    15.57m@8.01avg

10/7
    The lakes10k, this was kind of a last minute entery , only registering late on Thursday night..i was meant to do the 10k on the Saturday as a Tune up race but I couldn't find 1, instead I was doing this race on tired legs having completed 15.5miles the previous day..a good honest effort was required more so than to be chasing a pb..the weather was pretty miserable with strong enough gusts and rain..I arrived on time, collected the race number, waited in the car pretty much up until 11 for an 11.15 start...a mile warm up with a few Strides then made our way to the start..got a decent start with no congestion and passed through 3km feeling good, a drag at km 4 put the brakes on and I slowed a little,tried to pick it back up but pace remained the same for the next 2kms@4.10.....a long drag at the 7km marker into the wind really did the damage @4.44km ðŸ™,a downhill soon followed and I was able to get back on track with a 4.00km followed by 4.06 the last km was net downhill so I tried to push on again heading into the wind and rain, I tried to empty the tank with 400 to go and finished with a 3.55km for a finishing time of 41.36..
    6.22@4.09km... aim was 4.06km
    Very Happy with the effort and I just missed out on a pb which is 41.18 on a (6.18 course), the pb was achieved after a 10k specific training block,I feel if I raced another 10k that pb is there for the taking, I'd certainly consider doing this race again, the Hill at 7km is tough but character building, looking forward to the taper and tackling Berlin marathon in 2 weeks time

12/9
    This was meant to be a recovery run but I got mixed up and ran more of a general aerobic run with 6 100meter strides ...
    13/9
    This turned out to be one of my best runs in a long time, parked at c.knock gate,jogged 1.6miles down to the polo grounds for 3X-1MILE with 2 1/2min recovery Jog between reps..first rep I ran hard but controlled,I didn't look at the watch but was amazed to see 6.08/impressed by what I had just done I tried to get close to it again but was expecting to drop off slightly, 2nd rep I run equally as hard, turning back onto chesterfield Ave, I'm a shade over 6,I did in and come back in 6.06, 3rd rep and the heavens open, I'm debating Wether to take cover and wait it out but im kinda buzzing from my new found speed, the rain ain't gonna stop me now!!! off i set after my little recovery jog,I'm soaked by the time I hit the polo grounds, struggling to see with hair gel seeping into the eyes, down by the zoo and back onto chesterfield Ave, a little shelter between the trees,a pep in my step and I stride home in 6.07..chuffed with the session as I was expecting to hit 6.30s, a jog back to c.knock gate for a 7 mile total..
    7miles@7.30avg..
    15/9
    4.5miles recovery Jog with 6x100meter strides
    the phantom niggles have begun but I'll stay calm and focused, 1 week ta go!!

17/9
    Final long run of the plan, an early start in the phoenix park for a nice cool run..
    11miles@8.05avg
    20/9
    This turned out to be the worse run of the training block,I hadn't run in a few days and felt pretty lethargic during this run,I had to run 2-3miles @pmp and these miles seemed a struggle, tightness around the chest and felt like a stich was coming on from early on...even the chest strap popped open as I was running, ...I'm glad it happened now and hopefully doesn't happen on sunday..
    6.5miles@7.46avg
    21/9
    An easy run with a few Strides
    4.3miles@7.51avg

• Advertisement

22/9
    Berlin bound..
    23/9
    Having arrived in berlin the previous night today's agenda consisted of heading to the expo collecting my bits, quick look around,picked up a sample of the race day gels then headed off into the city to soak up the atmosphere during the in line skating marathon..everything went according to plan and I headed out on a small run along the river spree later that evening before dinner..
    2miles@ daydreaming pace

24/9
    Finally the day had arrived, I've harped on about it long enough, but I named this past year/training block as " redemption ", I really felt I underperformed last year .. my main goal was to go sub 3.20 but some calculators were predicting faster,others slower, in the end I settled on 7.30 per mile or 4.40km..I even calculated in that I'd run long @26.4miles so this would leave me with a 3.18marathon time..
    Race morning I was up early and down for breakfast by 6am, I had forgot to bring my porridge so I wasn't off to the best of starts,breakfast was had and then back to the room to relax and get organised..I was very relaxed,almost unorganised,sloppy compared to the previous year..headed off by 7.40 and was at the Brandenburg gate by 8.15,went straight to the bag drop,arranged a meeting point with the wife,said our goodbyes and off i went..
    As I made my way to my starting pen the atmosphere was electric,the queue for the toilets extremely long and every tree in the tiergarden was being watered!! I did a small warm up,5 mins of gently jogging/ some nervous/anxious stretching , jogged to and fro again then jumped into my starting block,I got a nice position towards the top of block e..it was almost time.... as they introduced the elite athletes the urge to pee suddenly came over me..I deliberated over loosing my place or taking my chance and hoping I didn't have to stop once the race began..I chose to stay put..
    As the race began we funneled through the start Gates..it was slow but nothing major and pretty soon I was up to race pace,I cant recall if it rained at the start but i know it did pretty soon into the race, more haze,drizzle than anything else..the first few miles went by with me debating wether to stop for a pee or not, carnage through the first water station just like last year only this time i was expecting it, smash n grab approach..I settled into a nice rhythm a seemed to be knocking out 7.30s, so much so I questioned wether my watch had accidently stopped..miles7,8,9 all 7.29..I popped a gel at 7+12+18+22, went through halfway in 1.39. Right on target.. the garmin was .1 miles out.. around the half way point the atmosphere is probably at its greatest, where we pass under a few bridges,u hear the thunder of the drums and echo from the rattlers long after u have passed.. then into No-man's land according to the p+d book.. just keep concentrating,one mile at a time and keep em at 7.30, I was conscious not to increase the pace, just stay steady, I was delighted to do this until mile 18 where I slipped by 5 seconds to a 7.35, I actually taught I was approching mile 19 but miscalculated..back on track in the next few miles past the red bull zone and only 5k to go,I take another gel, more of a syrupy glue than anything gets else..I recognise the area but not familiar with the route,we hit mile 25 and wallop!!!,I'm hit with a huge wave of emotion, I almost break out in tears, not even the birth of my children has seen such emotion.. I realise bar a major cock up I'm actually going to do it..I steady myself, glance at the watch and wonder what time will I finish in, I drift from 7.30 slightly..I'm approaching the Brandenburg gate,im passing more people than are passing me, under the arches I go, this time last year at this point my legs went to jelly only now I've a pep In my step..I'm striding it out over the final 400meters and I come home In 3.17.29
    Garmin clocks me as running 26.39miles@7.29avg, delighted that I calculated running the extra bit

Berlin debrief..
    Having let the dust settle, I now wonder if I ran the perfect race or may have left a little bit still out there..I felt Comfortable, very comfortable in fact..I noticed I'd loose a few seconds at water stops or gel stations but soon made back up the ground, each mile was +/- 10 seconds of my target time, I stuck religiously to the game plan and wouldn't deviate no matter how good i felt in fear of blowing up, I never hit the wall and only had to dig In at mile 24, I felt I finished strong too although my last mile was my second slowest, I think that was just fatigue I was certainly by no means hanging on.. I'm over the moon with the time,I've achieved my number1 goal for the year.. I'm entered Into Dcm and the recovery is going well, I'm back out doing some recovery miles, I'm going to attempt 3.15 in Dublin, I won't know until I try, it's 6 seconds per mile faster, weather permitting and some good luck I ight just be able to pull it off
    Here's berlin splits
    1....7.28 ......... mile 6....7.26 ......... mile11....7.26....... mile16.....7.32 ........ mile21.....7.22.........26...7.31
    2....7.35 ......... mile 7....7.29 .......... mile12....7.31........ mile17.....7.30 ........ mile22.....7.40..........27 (.39miles......2.31)
    3....7.30 ......... mile 8... 7.29 ......... mile13....7.30.......... mile18.....7.35......... mile23.....7.30
    4....7.38 ......... mile 9.... 7.29......... mile14....7.28.......... mile19.....7.25 ......... mile24.....7.29
    5....7.24 ......... mile 10...7.27 ......... mile15....7.27......... mile20.....7.30 ......... mile25.....7.31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done on a great training block and a superbly executed race G - lots and lots of improvements in there.

I wouldn't be in a a hurry to ramp things back up again for DCM, you've a whole lot of fitness gains to develop over the next week or so, take it easy and let them do their thing.

Enjoy the recovery, take it easy on those runs and you could well have a bit more in the tank come DCM, rush your recovery and you almost certainly won't

Well done again

29/9
    Back on the horse and back out pounding the pavement..it was wayyyy to fast, it was meant to be an easy run with some Strides..first mile was easy but after that I got carried away.. 7.42, 7.47, 7.53, 7.37, 7.38
    6miles@7.48avg

1/10
    After the last run which I ran too quick,I ran the same route again with better intentions...
    All miles a tad over 8m.m
    6m@8.04avg

3/10
    I'm following the 6 week p&d recovery plan for dublin, I was due to do 8m general aerobic.. due to time constraints I had to take this run in on my lunch so I was never going to get the full 8 in,I did however manage to get 6.6 in although it was too fast, I think the pressure on trying to get as much of the 8miles done as possible played on the mind..the splits were
    8.09/8.0/7.51/7.55/7.49/7.40
    6.6miles@7.56
    4/10
    Another Craic at a general aerobic run and this time i threw on the heart rate monitor to help keep the pace in check, I choose a different route and despite an early spike in h.r it soon settled down for an average of 141, this was alot better and I had more control over my pace
    8.1miles@8.09avg
    6/10
    Another aerobic run only this time with a few Strides thrown in, again I was way to fast for the purpose of the run some of the splits were 7.36/7.32/7.34 /7.47/7.46 did manage to keep 2 @8.m.m
    I did the Strides over .1mile
    7.1miles@7.47 avg

7/10
    Down to the p.p for an early enough start, wanted to get done before the simon5 mile started..
    Same route as the week before berlin,taking in Chesterfield Ave up to myo's and back in at mt.sackville,around s bends up to wellington monument and back up chesterfield to Ashton gate..
    12mile total @8m.m,
    Now that it's starting me in the face, no wonder I'm feeling lethargic, sluggish recently on my runs..I obviously haven't fully got berlin out of the system and my training paces are faster than what they should, over the next 2 weeks I think I'll aim for a vo2 session, a long run and maybe an easy run..I doubt I'm going to gain much in fitness and would probably be doing more harm than good if I keep going the way I am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

quick feet wrote: »
    3/10
    I doubt I'm going to gain much in fitness and would probably be doing more harm than good if I keep going the way I am

^^^this !

Take it easy man, you're essentially in recovery mode - sounds like you're getting a handle on it now but don't go chasing that "fit feeling", let it come back to you naturally

Following on from my previous post,I did manage to cut back to 3 days a week running off the whole of 1 week 😆..
    10th Oct
    9.5 miles general aerobic @8.06 avg
    13th Oct
    5X .5mile @5k
    An almighty struggle at times..first 2 reps were not too bad, once I turned into the wind it was horrendous, I struggled really bad
    Managed to hit 2.59/3.11//3.29//3.23//3.15
    The intended target was 3.10-15

14/10
    Not ideal prep doing the interval session the day before my long run, but sometimes life gets in the way and you gotta make do as best u can..
    I took in the first half of dcm, starting in the park and heading up thru c.knock onto sarsfielf Rd, past kilmainham and up as far as Crumlin Rd before turning back by the Coombe into christchurch, over the liffey and up manor st onto n.c.r..
    This was just as tough as the day before and firmly planted a seed of doubt in my mind ..is dcm a bridge too far after berlin exertions, maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic in looking to improve on berlins 3.17..the legs ached after this run
    15miles@7.58avg

17/10
    No watch , don't recall much about this run..
    5.8miles@7.46
    18/10
    4.6 miles@7.50 avg again no watch.. nothing to report..

20/10
    2miles easy with some Strides followed by 3x1mile @5k with 2.30 rest followed by 1mile cooldown
    3X 1 mile repeats came in at 6.13//6.21//6.22
    6mile total for the day
    21/10
    I'm back on the map, the watch has has been replaced..
    Another easy enough parkrun @pmp
    3.1@7.34avg

21/10
    I tagged along with a group of people in the park taking g in 10miles of dcm, I felt much better compared to the previous week
    10miles@7.48, still faster than planned but happy with effort for distance/gradient

24/10
    2miles easy followed by 3@pmp, 1 mile easy.. strong winds about, I settled Into a nice rhythm early on until I got hit with a head wind..glad to have it done and 1 day closer to D-day....

25/10
    Recovery run
    4.2miles@9m.m

D.C.M 2017
    I may aswell write this report while it's fresh in the mind..i recently ran 3:17:30 5 weeks ago in Berlin.I decided I'd aim slightly higher and target 3:15@ dcm, tough ask but if u don't try you'll never know.. either way I feel like I've had a good year running wise..recovery from Berlin was only ok at best, I struggled in some runs holding 8-8:15 pace while i skipped others, finally deciding to decrease running to 3 days a week.. I was still hopeful of going 3.15
    Arrived into town in plenty of time and made our way to the start..positioned ourselves just in front of the 3.20 pacers and bang on 9 bells we were off..1st mile was slow enough 7.45 with the traffic before we finally got up to speed for the second mile 7.25..the plan was to run miles 3-7@7.40 pace up the drags this turned into 7.30 pace as we got swept along in the crowd..i was beginning to feel uncomfortable by the time we reached myos, working harder than i think i should of been for this point...plus the early morning sun wasnt helping, my nemesis!! The 3 fast downhill miles came in at 7.15/7.15/7.20 before the hill at Laurences road and up to kilmainham.7.38/7.26...i was taking water at every station and soon we were passing the halfway point in 1:38:20, 50seconds behind schedule but I'd already run long with a bit of weaving over the first 2 miles..just after halfway my pal who was also targeting 3:15 began to struggle badly, I slowed in the hope of encouraging him along but he hasn't got it to give, in doing so it meant I managed 7.46 for the mile.. decision time for me, do i still try chase the 3.15?? I'm beginning to lower the flag once the next mile comes in at 7.36, all is not lost I try get back on track in the next few miles just aiming to steady the ship and get under 7.30,I'm breaking it down into 2 mile segments with an avg of 7.30, probably overthinking things..  I hit the mile markers in 7.25/7.31/7.29/7.26/7.28..the splits aren't bad but I'm working for them, I also feel sick, feel like puking belching quite abit.. I decide to skip the next gel and opt to sip water..i pass through Milltown/clonskeagh in 7.37 before I get up n over heartbreak hill in 7.51 which I was expecting..im still on for a pb if I can dig in..as I turn onto the dual carriageway I'm giving a shout out from a guy who passes me,he's motoring so I try feed off his energy 7.34 for mile 23, it's touch n go for the pb and the legs are getting weary..7.38 onto mile 24, one final push only I'm like a car running out of petrol, spluttering along..the tank is almost dry and once I hit mile 25 in 7.49 i loose all hope of a pb, there's no way I can run a sub 7 min mile over the next 1.2miles..i feel like stopping but I've made it this far, I'd beat myself up if i did..its mental strength now, I'm plugging on just focusing on keeping it sub 8min mile, it's tough,it's painful but I'd expect nothing more, it's the beast..as I enter the final straight I'm enjoying the moment rather than gung-ho for the line then for the final 200meters I speed up and finish with pride in 3:18:21.. it's not a pb nor is it today's target but what it is is a good honest effort over a much tougher course, I actually think D.C.Ms time and effort is a greater achievement than the plains of Berlin, only 52seconds behind..either way this year's "A" goal  was sub 3:20 and I've managed to achieve that twice now..

A few targets to chase throughout the year

Distance|Current PB|Target
    Marathon| 3:17:29|3:14:00
    Half|1:32:02|1:30:00
    10 Miles|69:10|68:00
    10k|41:18|41:00
    5 Miles|33:07|32:45
    5K|19:50|19:30

I managed 1550 miles last year so any increase on that will do..

I may as well resuscitate the log as I'll be starting a new training block soon, I just stopped logging after D.c.m as I was following no real training plan and just passing miles for the sake of it, only highlight of note was running 19:50, in the jingle bells 5k and even that was slightly behind target..
    I decided to kick-off the new year by trying to run 5k or more for 10days just to get the mind refocused, throughout December I was really lacking motivation, it has slightly improved come jan. I'm entered Into the Rotterdam marathon on 8th April and there's alot of work and improvement required if I am going to improve on my marathon pb.
    Here's how the last week has gone:
    1/1
    2.5 mile run to park run ,park run @7.10 pace,bit of a struggle at times then off to a wedding!!
    5.62m@7.32

2/1
    An attempt at a tempo run, high winds because of the storm didn't help.i jumped in on a pals run as I knew I'd struggle after last night's beverages..out and back route so the wind could cancel itself out.1mile warm-up,5m tempo,1 c.d
    7.07@7.33avg .........tempo 5@7.07
    3/1
    5k recovery 3.2miles@8.33
    4/1
    .75miles easy with .25 strides, I just ran a local loop,wind was strong but I was just happy to be out.
    5.22m@7.35
    5/1
    5k recovery, again I took in same route as previous run
    3.1@8.36
    6/1
    Rinse and repeat... jog to park run.- 2miles then 3miles @7m.m pace..stuck to the plan, had to work hard and keep focused at times, but mission achieved..
    5.22m@7.26avg
    7/1
    Long run, slightly faster than planned, ran with a group of 3 others taking in clonsilla/carp.town/p.pk/cast.knock
    11.3m@7.48avg

• Advertisement

9/1
    5mile tempo run, 5m@7.02avg which was an improvement on the previous week but I was hanging in at the end.
    Total 6.3m@7.31 avg

10/1
    4mile recovery@8.18avg

12/1
    Relatively easy run of .9miles with .1 strides.. strides felt really comfortable,felt good.
    Total 6.35@7.44avg
    13/1
    Easy run of 2.5miles to park run, then park run tempo. I wanted to improve on last week's avg of 7m.m,
    Job done in 6.50avg.
    Total 5.75m@7.24avg
    14/1
    Long run with a faster finish, same route as last week with a 1 mile extension
    Wasn't too slow either 12m@7.39avg

16/1
    Was meant to be 1st session of p&d 12 week plan but I stopped it for a tempo run as opposed to g.a with strides.
    Same route as last week inky this time it was snowing,paths were fairly icy too,felt good and strong and I'm certainly seeing an improvement week on week. 5.5m tempo@6.53avg
    Total 7m@7.27

17/8
    P&d session wk1 session 2. Not ideal doing it the day after a tempo but I got it done 8.5miles general aerobic..put the h.r monitor on to keep effort constant.
    8.5m@7.57

Advertisement