Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

could be a touch of toxo with small lamb the ewe may have contracted it late in pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

How much nuts are they getting. Have the ewes milk. Are they in good condition?

Kilo each, ewes have milk and are in excellent condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

razor8 wrote: »
    What breeds?

Suffolk and texel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I have a rake of lambs out in this weather - heavy sleet. Will I be looking at losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, I have a rake of lambs out in this weather - heavy sleet. Will I be looking at losses?

Anything under 3days old under pressure here and we only got heavy showers

Put 15 in for the night, 5 lambs warming up at the min, 1 lad was on the way out
    Rest outside are running about

Gonna be under pressure for individual pens if this continues for the week even after maxing out the tams hurdles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Blue leicester and any other tight skinned breed like charollais and you might be . other breeds should be fine. If there are ewes poor in milk it might be best bring them in id say. Im not expecting anything to kick the bucket at home though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Feed them well, ewes need more to keep them going and lambs need more milk to keep them warm

Have Llyens here and they seem to be hardy enough. Bad weather over now so I'll take stock in the morning and see we are doing. I made sure no weak lambs were turned out in the last few days anyway.

lamp meal into them ewes outside, two feeds morn and evening, keep ewes milking and any lamb over 5 days old should be grand. thank god for the hampshire down cross lambs in this weather. any guys not feeding ewes post lambing i think is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Sami23

Gonna be under pressure for individual pens if this continues for the week even after maxing out the tams hurdles

What is the max amount of hurdles you can get through Tams if you don't mind me asking ?
    Also can you get just hurdles or do you hav to but a race or other equipment.
    Tia

• Advertisement

Some advice needed please:
    Ewes started lambing at wend and so far they are a bit short of milk overall.
    Think I seen here before that soya bean meal would be the best thing to add to the nuts so just wondering roughly how much soya should do I need to add ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Some advice needed please:
    Ewes started lambing at wend and so far they are a bit short of milk overall.
    Think I seen here before that soya bean meal would be the best thing to add to the nuts so just wondering roughly how much soya should do I need to add ?

How much meal are you giving to the doubles before they lamb
    Are the ewes in good condition, thin ewes won't milk

wrangler wrote: »
    How much meal are you giving to the doubles before they lamb
    Are the ewes in good condition, thin ewes won't milk

I'd say about 0.5kg give or take. Feeding then from 5 weeks out

I'd say about 0.5kg give or take. Feeding then from 5 weeks out

The last two or three weeks they'd need a kilo per day with average hay /silage.
    .5kg of an 18% protein ration gives them only 90gms protein/day and 200gms/day is recommended for a ewe carrying doubles,
    .5kg meal is the most you'd feed in one feed so feed them twice/day.

The last two or three weeks they'd need a kilo per day with average hay /silage.
    .5kg of an 18% protein ration gives them only 90gms protein/day and 200gms/day is recommended for a ewe carrying doubles,
    .5kg meal is the most you'd feed in one feed so feed them twice/day.

Thanks for that wrangler. Suppose I was afraid to feed too much for fear of lambs getting too big and leading to lambing difficulties.
    Would you recommend to add soya bean meal to the nuts now too?

Thanks for that wrangler. Suppose I was afraid to feed too much for fear of lambs getting too big and leading to lambing difficulties.
    Would you recommend to add soya bean meal to the nuts now too?

Don't make too many changes at once get them up to eating a kilo first, this'll take a while to kick in, you're unlikely to make the doubles and triplets too big

yeah dont worry about doubles and triplets they wont be too big just watch singles , lifline block is good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

What is the max amount of hurdles you can get through Tams if you don't mind me asking ?
    Also can you get just hurdles or do you hav to but a race or other equipment.
    Tia

You can get hurdles on there own I think, 75m max so just divide then length of hurdle into 75 to see most you can get
    I got 29 8ft. Suits well in narrow pens can be split up with just one hurdle between each ewe

Lads, I adopted a 4 day old strong pet lamb onto a single bearing ewe earlier. The ewe has taken the lamb fine but the lamb just stands there bawling for me. I think he got too used to the bottle. Any advice?!

Lads, I adopted a 4 day old strong pet lamb onto a single bearing ewe earlier. The ewe has taken the lamb fine but the lamb just stands there bawling for me. I think he got too used to the bottle. Any advice?!

You'll probably have to put him up to her to suck a few times a day, he'll eventually get the idea....don't give in to him anyway

• Advertisement

You'll probably have to put him up to her to suck a few times a day, he'll eventually get the idea....don't give in to him anyway

Sound. I put him up to her and hes now sucking like mad. Think he just needed a bit of direction! I'll keep an eye on him to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

You can get hurdles on there own I think, 75m max so just divide then length of hurdle into 75 to see most you can get
    I got 29 8ft. Suits well in narrow pens can be split up with just one hurdle between each ewe

I taught I read that the minimum spend for tams was 2000? Can you get adoption gates, bucket holders, buckets on tams?

MeTheMan wrote: »
    I taught I read that the minimum spend for tams was 2000? Can you get adoption gates, bucket holders, buckets on tams?

Just to confuse things further. Someone was telling me like you said that indeed you need to have a minimum of 2000 net of vat on your application but if you get approval you can just buy say a scales n get paid for that alone if you didn't want to buy anything else you had on the application.
    Can anyone confirm this

Lads, just had a ewe lamb (1 year old) with twins. Would ye always take one off her?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Lads, just had a ewe lamb (1 year old) with twins. Would ye always take one off her?

If you think you will get a chance to foster it yes but not always

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

Just to confuse things further. Someone was telling me like you said that indeed you need to have a minimum of 2000 net of vat on your application but if you get approval you can just buy say a scales n get paid for that alone if you didn't want to buy anything else you had on the application.
    Can anyone confirm this

I just rang the dept and they confirmed that this is the case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

foxirl wrote: »
    I just rang the dept and they confirmed that this is the case.

Great news if that's the case but it seems a bit bizarre. Why insist on a 2k euro minimum when it's just a paper exercise if people don't really have to spend that much?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

Great news if that's the case but it seems a bit bizarre. Why insist on a 2k euro minimum when it's just a paper exercise if people don't really have to spend that much?

I agree but it suits me. I'll have to have my claim in within next 5 months so will report back once I have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I had approval, but didn’t use it in the end as felt too much pressure to spend 2k plus vat. The department also told me that the 40% rebate was on 2k , not 2k plus vat. So you’ll get back €800 on your spend of €2,460. I thought it was simplier just to spend whatever I needed and claim back the depreciation or capital allowances on the equipment over a number of years against my tax bill. No back and forth with the department needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Neighbour rang me this morning there he has ewe with 2 lambs say over a week old he usually lambs outside but put some in his shed at back off dwelling house with the bad weather last week anyways she lambed and he threw her out till his back garden... The ewe went off her feet yesterday evening he phoned vet told him the symptons vet thought it sounded like it was bloat so advised him till give her baking soda which he did but ewe was no better this morning so he took it till vet who now thinks the ewe eat something in the garden that poisoned her... Anybody any remedies till cure her? She won't eat or drink and still can't stand at the minute... Lambs are away from her now

Advertisement