Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Could it be a sign of twin lamb disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Could it be a sign of twin lamb disease?

Could be, with listeria they circle in the same direction and go down if there bad, calcium under skin and glucose down the neck might be a good insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, how soon would pet lambs take cold milk? Keen to get them off the bottle and onto automatic feeder. I've no ESB so the milk gets cold in the feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know where you can buy mixed ewe minerals ? That could be added to home mixed rations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone know where you can buy mixed ewe minerals ? That could be added to home mixed rations.

Sjould be able to get them in the co_op,thats where we used get them anyways

• Advertisement

Sjould be able to get them in the co_op,thats where we used get them anyways

They come in 25kg bags ? And just add a scoop in to the ration ?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

David Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Has to be mixed properly, from what I remember it's one bag to the ton, what's the instructions on your minerals, how much per ewe etc
    I used AGRITECH I had an old one ton meal mixer, don't know how you'd mix it otherwise

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, how soon would pet lambs take cold milk? Keen to get them off the bottle and onto automatic feeder. I've no ESB so the milk gets cold in the feeder.

Drinking cold milk here at four or five days old

20 kgs. Wed sprinkle it on silage

• Advertisement

20 kgs. Wed sprinkle it on silage

Perfect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Seem till be having alot off ewes lambing around the 140-142 days mark anyone else finding that this year?

Seem till be having alot off ewes lambing around the 140-142 days mark anyone else finding that this year?

Lambman wrote: »

Are lambs viable, 143 days is as early as I'd like to have them but sure what can you do

Yeah 100% had triplets last night all a good even size They were 143 days... Was a hogget aswell.

Yeah 100% had triplets last night all a good even size They were 143 days... Was a hogget aswell.

Triplets won't go too long anyway, they get crowded in the ewe,...... as long as they're viable,

Do u find different Rams or different breeds off Rams makes a difference Wrangler? Like the limousine carries longer in cattle?

Do u find different Rams or different breeds off Rams makes a difference Wrangler? Like the limousine carries longer in cattle?

Yes theres a difference

Yes theres a difference

my experience is lleyn and vendeen and no difference

wrangler wrote: »
    my experience is lleyn and vendeen and no difference

Our old cahrolais ram takes an extra 2 days always

• Advertisement

What could you give a ewe thats forcing. We put a stitch in her but im afraid she'll break through it?
    Gave her betamox already

What could you give a ewe thats forcing. We put a stitch in her but im afraid she'll break through it?
    Gave her betamox already

Do you not use harnesses, it seems to restrict them from forcing, we use Ketofen for pain it helps too

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Gave her betamox already

Did ya try a retainer?

wrangler wrote: »
    Do you not use harnesses, it seems to restrict them from forcing, we use Ketofen for pain it helps too

It wasnt a prolapse as such,shes lambed already. Shes kinda forcing out her rectum as much as anything. Have the harness on her

A quad,10 trebles,14 couple and 3 singles left. Not much chance for adoption here :rolleyes:
    12 ewes with only 1 lamb down the field then haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lambing for last week or so, slow to start but those that are after lambing have quite small lambs (doubles), lambs are Hardy and quick to get up and lamb without assistance but still lambs are fierce small, what would be the cause of this, there getting 18% ewe nut, hay and beet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lambing for last week or so, slow to start but those that are after lambing have quite small lambs (doubles), lambs are Hardy and quick to get up and lamb without assistance but still lambs are fierce small, what would be the cause of this, there getting 18% ewe nut, hay and beet.

Id be looking at a Manganese definency

How much nuts are they getting. Have the ewes milk. Are they in good condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What breeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

First bad luck here. Walked into the shed at 6am to see a dead new born lamb. Steam was rising off it and it was still hot. I'd say 5 minutes earlier and I would have got it. Ah well....

Advertisement