Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kk.man wrote: »
    Imagine those tags on small lambs ...surely a cruelty issue.
    They seem to manage alright?
    https://twitter.com/IrelandsFarmers/status/1088462342948569088

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Wrangler are they linked to the Dept data base? ...How do they know the tag numbers given that they are a uk company?

Yes, They're linked to the Dept, I can't believe they're gone up in price so much.
    We were talking to the owner last year and he said the chip was as cheap as they were going to be so unlikely that they'll get any cheaper when compulsory for all sheep....... he has since sold out to a company called Datamar, they must have paid too much for the business.
    The tagger loading itself and holding 20 tags was the main reason we used them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    Yes, They're linked to the Dept, I can't believe they're gone up in price so much.
    We were talking to the owner last year and he said the chip was as cheap as they were going to be so unlikely that they'll get any cheaper when compulsory for all sheep....... he has since sold out to a company called Datamar, they must have paid too much for the business.
    The tagger loading itself and holding 20 tags was the main reason we used them

are the tags for that tagger 1.50 per set ?
    https://www.easytag.online/products/35

BTW the irish shearwell website seems to be down

orm0nd wrote: »
    are the tags for that tagger 1.50 per set ?
    https://www.easytag.online/products/35

BTW the irish shearwell website seems to be down

They won't sell much at that, they were much the same as all the others last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Any pictures off pipe drinkers for sheep looking ideas for a small shed I'll be using till house a few sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

For the sheep census are Suffolk X cheviot ewes consider as mountain crosses or lowland crosses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    For the sheep census are Suffolk X cheviot ewes consider as mountain crosses or lowland crosses?

I'd put them down as Mountain crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

When’s the deadline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When’s the deadline ?

End of this month **I think...**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many ewes or factory lambs would an 8x5 trailer with decks carry?

• Advertisement

End of this month **I think...**

That’s what I’m thinking as well, 31st. Just don’t want to be caught on the hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That’s what I’m thinking as well, 31st. Just don’t want to be caught on the hop.
    You'd want to have it in the post on the 29th to make sure it gets there by the 31st.

There's an extra two weeks if you supply the data online, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    How many ewes or factory lambs would an 8x5 trailer with decks carry?

25 lambs 15 ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

25 lambs 15 ewes

I used to bring 34 springs {38 to 42 kg}

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

orm0nd wrote: »
    I used to bring 34 springs {38 to 42 kg}

Probably would. I was just thinking of hoggetts at this time with wool etc. Theyd be up on 50 kgs.

Probably would. I was just thinking of hoggetts at this time with wool etc. Theyd be up on 50 kgs.

Used to have decks before and found problem was knowing when each level was full and pushing up the sheep to make more space. I don’t have decks anymore but find I’d take 15-16 butchers of the type I run now without issue. Some trailers might only be 8x4.5 or shy of 8x5, so that would reflect as well. Met a lad at the mart who had a ifor p8x4 and he had 13 butchers in that. Wouldn’t have believed it other then the fact that I saw them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Used to have decks before and found problem was knowing when each level was full and pushing up the sheep to make more space. I don’t have decks anymore but find I’d take 15-16 butchers of the type I run now without issue. Some trailers might only be 8x4.5 or shy of 8x5, so that would reflect as well. Met a lad at the mart who had a ifor p8x4 and he had 13 butchers in that. Wouldn’t have believed it other then the fact that I saw them in it.

13 butchers is pushing it for an 8x4. In mine, 12 would be max.

arctictree wrote: »
    13 butchers is pushing it for an 8x4. In mine, 12 would be max.

Maybe they were 45kg butchers, I don’t know, but I was standing there at the side of the trailer, talking to him and looking at them in it. Well fleshed Suffolk x lambs. Couldn’t believe it myself.

Any ideas what would be killing ewes this time of year? 4 young ewes died over the last few days
    We're thinking worms.

ganmo wrote: »
    Any ideas what would be killing ewes this time of year? 4 young ewes died over the last few days
    We're thinking worms.

Hope you have them gone for Post Mortem, be interesting to know,
    Could be fluke, worms, clostridial.......anything

• Advertisement

Hope you have them gone for Post Mortem, be interesting to know,
    Could be fluke, worms, clostridial.......anything

Most likely one those alright. Changeable weather would open the door for clostridial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

We're thinking worms.

I hope your last fluke dose didn’t contain
    triclabendazole?

What did you use?

Common things are common as my vet says

razor8 wrote: »
    triclabendazole?

What did you use?

Common things are common as my vet says

Wouldn't be flukey ground so fluke doses aren't normal
    If there's a vet in backweston they'll be going in the morning
    Injected them with closmectim so we'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

Wouldn't be flukey ground so fluke doses aren't normal
    If there's a vet in backweston they'll be going in the morning
    Injected them with closmectim so we'll see what happens

Did you dose before or after other died?

Any government regional vet labs nearby Ganmo ? Only cost you €5 plus vet fee to get the full job done on them.

Did you dose before or after other died?

Did them today

The national lab at backweston isn't too far away but the last time I checked they had no vet to do pms

Did them today

The national lab at backweston isn't too far away but the last time I checked they had no vet to do pms

No vet, like WTF..... Public (dis)service again
    Athlone is probably only a little over an hour from Backweston , after losing four it'd be important that you find out, there could be any number susceptible

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

triclabendazole?

Out of curiosity why not. Is there a reason not to use it. Thanks

No vet, like WTF..... Public (dis)service again
    Athlone is probably only a little over an hour from Backweston , after losing four it'd be important that you find out, there could be any number susceptible

Ya it was about 8 months ago that I checked and at that stage the post was vacant for 8 months.
    It seems fairly foolish to pass backweston on the n4 to head to Athlone.

• Advertisement

Ya it was about 8 months ago that I checked and at that stage the post was vacant for 8 months.
    It seems fairly foolish to pass backweston on the n4 to head to Athlone.

Of course if they're doing PMs there it would be foolish, but to have a vet lab not doing PMs is fairly foolish as well.
    .Your own vet, if he was any good, should be able to do the PM and you take the tissue/organ samples into backweston yourself.

Advertisement