Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

Ewes due to lamb march 1st, is it gone to late to injcet them with heptavac p?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

DJ98 wrote: »

Work away but the lambs mightn’t be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Young95 wrote: »
    Just wondering folks have ewes here not due till 20th of March but due to move them to another farm 1sts of March was going to get a haulier to transport them as there’s a good few to move but the outfarm is a good hour away just wondering should I move them earlier or not just bit nervous Incase of the stress of the spin n abortion etc has anyone ever moved sheep before close to lambing etc n how did it go ? Advice very much needed thanks

All I can say is that I moved a dozen ewes 40 miles that were 3 weeks from lambing. Didn't have a problem. Just don't have them too tight I suppose.

I did a bunch last year that were 2 weeks from lambing and didn't have a problem. I then injected the lambs at 6 and 10 weeks.

What's the correct mixing rate of lamlac to fill a baby's bottle (250 ml), the bag seems to only give the mix for feeders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We injected all ours today. Due end of February. We are a week late, best 4-6 weeks out.
    TBH we do it a bit arse ways. We just give the 2ml booster to the ewes and never inject lambs unless we are keeping them on. We have never had problems.
    What do others do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

MeTheMan wrote: »

We injected all ours today. Due end of February. We are a week late, best 4-6 weeks out.
    TBH we do it a bit arse ways. We just give the 2ml booster to the ewes and never inject lambs unless we are keeping them on. We have never had problems.
    What do others do?

Exact same!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

arctictree wrote: »
    All I can say is that I moved a dozen ewes 40 miles that were 3 weeks from lambing. Didn't have a problem. Just don't have them too tight I suppose.

Thanks for reply

What's the correct mixing rate of lamlac to fill a baby's bottle (250 ml), the bag seems to only give the mix for feeders

Not very scientific but we would fill a 2 litre bottle with 4 paper party cups of Lamlac. So 250ml would be about half a cup of Lamlac. I think the cup would take about 100 grams of powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Same ewes get done 4 weeks before start of lambing... Lambs never be done but replacements get done at weaning just 2ml then as well no topup 6 weeks later never have any bother.

• Advertisement

Wheres the best place to buy fixed handling equipment, O'Donnell and O'Donovan engineering seem to have some stuff, after a race and dividing gate, any where I'm Ireland stock iae equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have to get some more hurdles ahead of the lambing season as some of my older cormac ones have fallen apart. Any recommendations for where I can source reasonably priced , good quality ones ? See a few making sledge type ones now as well, so might buy a small few of those also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have to get some more hurdles ahead of the lambing season as some of my older cormac ones have fallen apart. Any recommendations for where I can source reasonably priced , good quality ones ? See a few making sledge type ones now as well, so might buy a small few of those also.

What are the sledge types?
    We got a few more cormacs the other day. Do the job for us the finest,

What are the sledge types?
    We got a few more cormacs the other day. Do the job for us the finest,

Sledge ones have the bottom leg is slightly longer and twisted back up, so it doesn’t stick into the ground. You can pull a few along along to change the shape of the holding area.
    Have a load of cormac stuff here, but wouldn’t buy again. A load of their hurdles have fallen apart at the welds, so looking for a alternative supplier. Probably go with buffalo or Stanley or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Wheres the best place to buy fixed handling equipment, O'Donnell and O'Donovan engineering seem to have some stuff, after a race and dividing gate, any where I'm Ireland stock iae equipment?

stanleys in laois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have O'donnell stuff and would advise to steer clear of it, only have it a few years and its poor quality.

To me it feels like dairy men trying to make sheep equipment by just using smaller sizes there is a lot of issue with how the race works like the anti backing bar just doesnt and has since broke, their guillotine gates have broken at the welds and the sheet panels are nto string enough also the finish quality is poor

roosky wrote: »
    I have O'donnell stuff and would advise to steer clear of it, only have it a few years and its poor quality.

To me it feels like dairy men trying to make sheep equipment by just using smaller sizes there is a lot of issue with how the race works like the anti backing bar just doesnt and has since broke, their guillotine gates have broken at the welds and the sheet panels are nto string enough also the finish quality is poor

What about O'Donovan engineering, there stuff seems similar to iae?

What about O'Donovan engineering, there stuff seems similar to iae?

Been looking around on web this morning. Most look good in the pictures, but hard to know for sure without actually touching the pens in the flesh, to see how much steel different sellers put in to them. A nice strong heavy gate is what I’m after. Also have to stay away from the slightly lower ones as the odd Lleyn would fancy her chances hurdling it, if too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

Been looking around on web this morning. Most look good in the pictures, but hard to know for sure without actually touching the pens in the flesh, to see how much steel different sellers put in to them. A nice strong heavy gate is what I’m after. Also have to stay away from the slightly lower ones as the odd Lleyn would fancy her chances hurdling it, if too low.

Check out the clipex stuff got fixed handling was impressed with it at the ploughing. Best hurdles here are the Stanley 5ft sledge ones really strong, stay away from anything longer than 5/6 ft if moving them around a lot they don’t take much abuse.

Bought some solway lambing pens this year, never thought I’d say it but worth every penny brilliant pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cran wrote: »
    Check out the clipex stuff got fixed handling was impressed with it at the ploughing. Best hurdles here are the Stanley 5ft sledge ones really strong, stay away from anything longer than 5/6 ft if moving them around a lot they don’t take much abuse.

Bought some solway lambing pens this year, never thought I’d say it but worth every penny brilliant pens.

+1
    very clean and secure, don't have ewes trying to adopt the lambs in the next pen etc
    You have to have them to see the value of them, no point trying to convince anyone

• Advertisement

What would you guys recommend feeding horned ewes due till lamb mid March on... There getting bales off 75%dmd silage this past 3 weeks grass would be scarce enough were there at but they seem till be picking away at it not just standing around feeders. Threw crystalx lick buckets out last week and a few off the cheaper mineral ones as well. Ewes scanned 150%... Would I get away without meal till they start lambing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lambman wrote: »
    What would you guys recommend feeding horned ewes due till lamb mid March on... There getting bales off 75%dmd silage this past 3 weeks grass would be scarce enough were there at but they seem till be picking away at it not just standing around feeders. Threw crystalx lick buckets out last week and a few off the cheaper mineral ones as well. Ewes scanned 150%... Would I get away without meal till they start lambing?
    What age are they?

Mostly Full mouths few missing some teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

had first ewe lamb this morning or during the night didnt expect any until friday, wokw up to find one strong lamb and a smaller dead one. horrible getting a loss on the first one, its nice to go a while without a loss, jeez very first ewe, she might have gone a few days early though. wondered if he was dead being born small enough lamb.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    had first ewe lamb this morning or during the night didnt expect any until friday, wokw up to find one strong lamb and a smaller dead one. horrible getting a loss on the first one, its nice to go a while without a loss, jeez very first ewe, she might have gone a few days early though. wondered if he was dead being born small enough lamb.

First ones are usually a bit dodgy in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭joe35

After going out round the field. Very surprised to see a lamb amongst them. Not due for another 7 weeks. Only off the mountain 2 weeks and took another batch down yesterday. Lovely single lamb to a suffolkx ewe but wasn't there a horny trying to take up with the lamb too. Went to seperate them and hailstones started. All's good now but its never straight forward😊

Got a bit excited there, sorry on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

joe35 wrote: »
    After going out round the field. Very surprised to see a lamb amongst them. Not due for another 7 weeks. Only off the mountain 2 weeks and took another batch down yesterday. Lovely single lamb to a suffolkx ewe but wasn't there a horny trying to take up with the lamb too. Went to seperate them and hailstones started. All's good now but its never straight forward��

Are yousure that the horny wasn't the mother, I've heard plenty of stories of farmers buying foster ewes and when they have them fostered , they ewe has a couple of lambs herself, original owner sold her because she was taking to a dead lamb.
    Incidentally a ewe thats taking to another ewe lamb isn't going to go another 7 weeks, she's probably close to lambing herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

joe35 wrote: »
    Got a bit excited there, sorry on the phone
    You're grand, just deleted them there.

• Advertisement

Thanks Buford. I checked both of them. Yea seen that happening here plenty of times

Advertisement