Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wrangler wrote: »
    Of course if they're doing PMs there it would be foolish, but to have a vet lab not doing PMs is fairly foolish as well.
    .Your own vet, if he was any good, should be able to do the PM and you take the tissue/organ samples into backweston yourself.

Ya the vet should be able to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

foxirl wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why not. Is there a reason not to use it. Thanks

Too much resistance in this country imo, better products out there containing closantal & Nitroxynil

Seen it too many times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    Too much resistance in this country imo, better products out there containing closantal & Nitroxynil

Seen it too many times

I got that product you recommended recently, duotech for the store lambs. They were coughing. Seemed to make the coughing worse for a day or two afterwards and then cleared it up completely. I’m guessing it got a very good kill, a good product. Counting down the withdrawal dates now to when I can sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

I got that product you recommended recently, duotech for the store lambs. They were coughing. Seemed to make the coughing worse for a day or two afterwards and then cleared it up completely. I’m guessing it got a very good kill, a good product. Counting down the withdrawal dates now to when I can sell them.

Did bought stores myself last week. Can see a great difference in their wool to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sheep welfare scheme inspection on Wednesday......that won't take long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I only bought a few lambs to train my pup on, they still here, scanned yesterday ,all 25 in lamb, 20 twins , 5 singles !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What would 8x6 pens hold ewe wise average 80kg able till feed both sides on the 8ft sides

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lambman wrote: »
    What would 8x6 pens hold ewe wise average 80kg able till feed both sides on the 8ft sides

2/3?

8 by 6 mtres or feet

sheep need about 1.1sq mtr or 12 sq ft space each

Feet Wrangler pen is 48ft long x 6ft wide sub divided every 8ft so it's 6 pens off 8ft long x 6ft wide if u get me

• Advertisement

I'd a thought 8-10 ewes no problem since I can feed both sides?

Feet Wrangler pen is 48ft long x 6ft wide sub divided every 8ft so it's 6 pens off 8ft long x 6ft wide if u get me

teagasc recommendations
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Sheep-Article-D-Costello-21012016.pdf

My pens were 22 by 6 and 14 was enough in it so thats 9 sq ft/ewe so that works too

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Ewe would need 1.1sqm space each and I think it's 250mm for forage and 400/450mm for meal. This is recommended you'd get away with a bit less.

Thanks lads still seems alot till me I was always under the impression it was the feeding room that was the problem that's why I set it up with feed barriers both sides I can still make it 8ft wide think I've enough 8ft hurdles there till do it be a bit off a help.

Thanks lads still seems alot till me I was always under the impression it was the feeding room that was the problem that's why I set it up with feed barriers both sides I can still make it 8ft wide think I've enough 8ft hurdles there till do it be a bit off a help.

The requirement for 450 +mm feeding room is important and when ewes are in the last mth of pregnancy they're very big and easy hurt, if your ewes are 80kg they're big already.
    So 1+ sq mtre pen space and 500mm feeding space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

scanned ewe lambs today, had 2.1 but 7 of the 41 have something wrong with the foetus. scanner said it looked like toxo, had a slight problem here last year with mature flock but nothing in them this year i think they have built a natural resisitance to it. are there bllod smaples i can take to test ewe lambs for it? i asked the woman in vets now and she said she would get back to me. i have seperated the ones affected away from all other sheep on pasture that wont be used til ewes lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Check out moderate sheep scan thread. Sounds like toxoplasmosis alright. Have the same problem here this year. How was last year's lambing

i had a high dry count last year 8 out of 70 , then had 3 doubles abort lambs 3 weeks from lambing. apart from that it was grand actually managed to keep losses down and weaned 1.7. a few cases of one big lamb and one small so all the classic signs of toxo. this years mature ewe flock are due next wedensday on. all quiet on the abortion front so far so i think i may have got them immune to it. id say all ewes were exposed last year. also lost a few of ewe lambs lambs to abortion as well so they were prob all exposed. this years ewe lambs have been running with 4, 2 year old ewes this autumn and winter because these 2 year olds were ewe lambs, that last year must have went back in lamb in december after exposure to toxo and didnt lamb til early june. these ewes scanned perfectly this morning so i presume are immune also.

Thanks a million for the info. Had a similar barren rate and put these ewes back to ram a month ago. Seem to be raddled again. I am hopeful that lambing will be ok as there are mature ewes in that particular flock.also with the infection early in the pregnancy I'm hoping those infected were the barren hoggets and the rest will be ok. No mature ewes in that flock were barren.

Lads just check the bales a silage with the snow and cold weather the birds are picking mad at them just spent half an hour taping there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The National Sheep Conference proceedings can be downloaded in the link below.
    https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2019/national-sheep-conferences-2019.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

At what age would lambs start eating out of a creep feeder?

DJ98 wrote: »
    At what age would lambs start eating out of a creep feeder?

2/3 weeks

buying a second creep feeder this year ,one to keep triplet suckling lambs going seperatly and one for the doubles. had 11 ewes out of 14 rear triplets last year with creep. great job they were as good as i could witha bottle and no labour

Have had ewes rear tripletts here for the last few years. No creep feeder but they were very well fed before and after lambing. No major issues apart from the fact that it's knocks a fair bit out of the odd ewe and she gets worn before her time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dickie10 wrote: »
    buying a second creep feeder this year ,one to keep triplet suckling lambs going seperatly and one for the doubles. had 11 ewes out of 14 rear triplets last year with creep. great job they were as good as i could witha bottle and no labour

What kinda creep feeder are you going for? And what price are they, if you dont mind me asking?

Does take much for them to get sore teats ime with 3 lambs under them

Have to say never had ewes with sore teats rearing three. Sore teats would suggest too much suckling and not enough milk. Ewes fed here about 6 weeks after lambing and very little difference in lambs at weaning

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Just wondering folks have ewes here not due till 20th of March but due to move them to another farm 1sts of March was going to get a haulier to transport them as there’s a good few to move but the outfarm is a good hour away just wondering should I move them earlier or not just bit nervous Incase of the stress of the spin n abortion etc has anyone ever moved sheep before close to lambing etc n how did it go ? Advice very much needed thanks

• Advertisement

Better leaving them later if anything....

Advertisement