Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your biggest "get me out of here!" moment in a relationship?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Premise of this thread seems to be for posters to gloat about breakups they've instigated. Hope y'all are having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Let the buyer beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Ouch poor you.

Mine was when she booked me onto a remote kayaking trip in Norway along with her using my bank account and email account.
    Cya
    Because she didn't have much money and you could a-fjord it?

I'll get me coat .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I have to say, I feel sorry for all the "Oh he/she was too clingy" type people who got dumped. I'd be pretty concerned if my fiance didnt answer the phone on the third attempt, I'd be ringing her friends / family to see if she's ok. I'd like to think she'd do the same for me.

And this thing of "He knew a bit about me, too creepy", get over yourselves! The world is not some huge anonymous wilderness, people know sh1t about other people! And with facebook etc., its actually hard NOT to know things sometimes, people just stick their lives in your face!

If anything, all of this shows how much someone cares about you - and you reward this by dumping them?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Was with someone for 5 years and he told me one night (after a lot of drink) that he had a fetish I never knew about. It wasn't something I could ever fulfill for him as it's something I personally hate (nothing too crazy, just wasn't going to be my thing).

I felt like I'd never quite been/be enough for him after that.

Plus I felt lied to. So I ended it shortly after.

Also, I spent ages trying to organize a surprise 30th for the same guy, in the same year as the above revelation, and he found out by accident and threw a strop, and was a real dick about it.

Edit: He never mentioned not wanting a party.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I have to say, I feel sorry for all the "Oh he/she was too clingy" type people who got dumped. I'd be pretty concerned if my fiance didnt answer the phone on the third attempt, I'd be ringing her friends / family to see if she's ok. I'd like to think she'd do the same for me.

And this thing of "He knew a bit about me, too creepy", get over yourselves! The world is not some huge anonymous wilderness, people know sh1t about other people! And with facebook etc., its actually hard NOT to know things sometimes, people just stick their lives in your face!

If anything, all of this shows how much someone cares about you - and you reward this by dumping them?

I feel sorry for your fiance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Premise of this thread seems to be for posters to gloat about breakups they've instigated. Hope y'all are having a good time.

Forever alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

when i ordered a pint and she already had 10 jagerbombs lined up on the bar (this was teusday at 7pm). I went downstairs to the jacks. when i went back up there was pub brawl in full swing, chairs flying , the lot. i found out later she was barred from nearly every pub in town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

xzanti wrote: »
    Was with someone for 5 years and he told me one night (after a lot of drink) that he had a fetish I never knew about. It wasn't something I could ever fulfill for him as it's something I personally hate (nothing too crazy, just wasn't going to be my thing).

Also, I spent ages trying to organize a surprise 30th for the same guy, in the same year as the above revelation, and he found out by accident and threw a strop, and was a real dick about it.

My ex done this for me, despite me for months saying I didn't want a party..few drinks with close friends will do!
    Roll on weekend and we are in town, she says her mates are in such a pub (her mates are never there) I said "Have you organised a party when i said i didnt want one" She said yes!

I went home!

Party was meant to be good craic though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It depends on the circumstances doesn't it?

If a boyfriend is an hour late for a date without explanation and not answering their phone, then that would be cause for concern.

If you're out with friends and getting a million texts wanting to know who you're talking to now, then that's a sign that person is far too needy.

If someone you've just started seeing starts trying to get in touch with family and friends when they've called you three times, then that's beyond a normal level of them just liking you a lot.

Most of the posts I've read here are in the latter categories and I wouldn't hang around with any lad who appeared that jealous and needy. Nor would I expect them to stick around if I did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've had my fair share of crazy and keep going back for more ;
    One that always sticks with me though is this.

I was widowed at 26 and after some time off work went back to manage a new team.
    A girl on the team took a notion that I was broken and only she could fix me.
    After months of turning her down, being clear it wasn't going to happen that I wasn't looking nor was I able for a relationship, there was a work night out.
    I ended back at mine with said lady, kept telling her that this wasn't going to develop into anything more...
    She kept telling me be quiet and enjoy myself!

So after a very intense bout of shagging...(was one of those sessions where it was about the act rather than the "physical expression of love")
    We are lying there and I am basking in the glow of a job well done...
    Said lady rolls over, looks me in the eyes and says.
    "I knew this would happen, I am so happy! I keep seeing our future, In 10years I will be pushing our pram. What do you see for us?"

I looked at her and said "I can't quite see 10 years into the future, but I know where you are gonna be in 10 minutes!"

Reached over her, grabbed my phone and called her a cab and had her out of the house so fast her head spun!

Really mad thing is, we are actually friends now!
    I set her up with her husband....
    Which now I've written it down has me wondering which of us was the nutter!

when i ordered a pint and she already had 10 jagerbombs lined up on the bar (this was teusday at 7pm). I went downstairs to the jacks. when i went back up there was pub brawl in full swing, chairs flying , the lot. i found out later she was barred from nearly every pub in town.

Was it Tuesday just gone ?

Was it Tuesday just gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Bit needy with the double posts there Corner_of_hells , are you one of those 200 texts an hour ones?

fixxxer wrote: »
    Bit needy with the double posts there Corner_of_hells , are you one of those 200 texts an hour ones?

Right , that's it , I'm blocking your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

When the fortune teller told her that I'd go off with her best friend. She came home and I was in the doghouse. Was demanding that I apologise and explain myself for something that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When he said on the first date that dogs were hairy smelly things. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The fawning / bunny boiler stuff always kind of freaks me out. "Eh, I have a mirror, I know my prospects, or lack thereof, your misplaced infatuation is bizarre and is quite frankly scaring me!!" is what I felt like saying to one or two women over the years.

One girl I was with used to keep the wrapping paper and envelopes from anything that I sent her. Would text and text and text until I replied and if I switched my phone off she would then email me asking why I had just switched my phone off. Mate asked me in front of her once if I thought Christina Aguilera was good looking and when I said she is better looking without all that crap on her face, she said it was a dig at her and cold shouldered me for days.

That overly obsessed with what I'm thinking is a red flag too. Always the hall mark of a nutter. Remember one occasion when one gf was going on and on like 'What are thinking now? No, tell me, please!' And when I did tell her she said I was lying and was hiding something, but I bloody well wasn't. I was genuinely wondering what the hell Gloria Estefan was up to these days and indeed have thought that many times since.

If I had to pick one mad moment though it was in bed with a girl I had been seeing for two weeks and in a wild and passionate moment she asked me to put and plastic bag over her head.

Eh... no. Paper bag over mine, sure, but I like to avoid having to explain to the Gardai why there's a dead woman in my bed whenever I can. Just a daily precaution of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The fawning / bunny boiler stuff always kind of freaks me out. "Eh, I have a mirror, I know my prospects, or lack thereof, your misplaced infatuation is bizarre and is quite frankly scaring me!!" is what I felt like saying to one or two women over the years.

One girl I was with used to keep the wrapping paper and envelopes from anything that I sent her. Would text and text and text until I replied and if I switched my phone off she would then email me asking why I had just switched my phone off. Mate asked me in front of her once if I thought Christina Aguilera was good looking and when I said she is better looking without all that crap on her face, she said it was a dig at her and cold shouldered me for days.

That overly obsessed with what I'm thinking is a red flag too. Always the hall mark of a nutter. Remember one occasion when one gf was going on and on like 'What are thinking now? No, tell me, please!' And when I did tell her she said I was lying and was hiding something, but I bloody well wasn't. I was genuinely wondering what the hell Gloria Estefan was up to these days and indeed have thought that many times since.

If I had to pick one mad moment though it was in bed with a girl I had been seeing for two weeks and in a wild and passionate moment she asked me to put and plastic bag over her head.

Eh... no. Paper bag over mine, sure, but I like to avoid having to explain to the Gardai why there's a dead woman in my bed whenever I can. Just a daily precaution of mine.

Ha ha ah ....very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

When after 18 months together he casually mentioned in front of me to his mates that he was planning to travel the world within the year. When I asked later what that meant for our relationship he said he hadn't really thought about it to be honest, but that he was going solo and that was that. I realized then that he wanted to break up but was unwilling to do it (probably cos the sex was amazing, which seems to be a common theme on this thread!) so i did it for him. It should have been straightforward but due to other circumstances that took us by surprise it was actually a really messy breakup. But we're good friends now, I'm happily married with a baby on the way and he has traveled the world, he lives abroad at the moment, so it all worked out in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

When her husband started sending me death threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I was probably labelled as that "clingy" type, I dumped him after 7 days of no contact by text, and he didnt even reply to that. I was humilated at the time......
    One year later he tells me how much he loves me and how I was the biggest mistake he ever made etc... that went on for two years, it was flattering at first but annoying after a while, I wasn't ever going to let him humiliate me again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,720 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

xzanti wrote: »

So there really is never a good time to bring up the balloon thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

GingerLily wrote: »
    I was probably labelled as that "clingy" type, I dumped him after 7 days of no contact by text, and he didnt even reply to that. I was humilated at the time......
    One year later he tells me how much he loves me and how I was the biggest mistake he ever made etc... that went on for two years, it was flattering at first but annoying after a while, I wasn't ever going to let him humiliate me again :(

Thats not a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

We'd finally broken up a few months before due to her anger but were meeting up for drunken monkey sex maybe once every few weeks. Foolish men beware of texts at 1:30 am!

Finally met someone else and told ex. Monday morning commute, turned my phone on (I had started turning my phone off at night!), this long, detailed text from ex about the new girl I had met, where she was from (different city to dublin), her hobbies, a group she was in. I was terrified. Blocked her number and had to warn the new girl, who was, amazingly, very understanding, like, your ex is stalking me? yeah no it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Remember I was dating someone and was in back-to-back meetings all day. Looked at my phone when I was finished and had about 20 whatsapp messages from her. She was so nuts that she managed to have an argument with both me and herself in those 20 unanswered messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

After a great night in the sack she asked me to leave her home.
    She got out of the car at a halting site.
    I said I thought you said you were a nurse.
    She said "No, I said I was one of the Ward sisters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

When her husband started sending me death threats.

Easy there, Marty Whelan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I should have had a "get me out of here" moment when he:
    - Pulled over to the side of the road and ordered my sister out of the car after she said something (fairly innocuous) that he didn't like.
    - Repeatedly threatened to kill himself if we ever broke up.
    - Threatened to break up with me if I ever needed to go abroad for work.
    - Showed me the whomping stick he kept in the car to intimidate other drivers who pissed him off.

There's much darker stuff too that I won't even go into here. I guess I was afraid of him and what he might do if I ever broke up with him. In the end he was the one who broke it off with me. I knew it was for the best when I was packing my bags and I had to talk him down from stabbing himself in the neck with a kitchen knife.

Lucky escape or wha?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Fecking hell woodchuck

There's some mad cookies out there. Lucky escape for you.

Advertisement