Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cardenkelly

hi guys
    since I got my ampera it always charged to 50km. three weeks ago it changed to 45km when fully charged and this week its showing 42.
    is this a reflection on my driving or a degredation of the battery ??

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

hi guys
    since I got my ampera it always charged to 50km. three weeks ago it changed to 45km when fully charged and this week its showing 42.
    is this a reflection on my driving or a degredation of the battery ??

Nope.

It's a reflection of the weather getting colder. Cold weather means a much shorter range. Don't worry about a thing. Your Ampera battery will still have the same full driving range when it is 20 years old. Big benefit of having only 10kWh available out of a 16kWh battery pack :)

unkel wrote: »
    Nope.

It's a reflection of the weather getting colder. Cold weather means a much shorter range. Don't worry about a thing. Your Ampera battery will still have the same full driving range when it is 20 years old. Big benefit of having only 10kWh available out of a 16kWh battery pack :)

thanks UNKEL, thats a relief.

You only got your Ampera recently I take it?

It's a very underrated car that can be had for peanuts from the UK (GBP7-8k with only a few hundred VRT) that will be usable at 100% electric for peoples daily driving. Never for sale here, so you won't get the home charger subsidy (€600) which is unfair. But otherwise it's a very clever choice of car. The setup (PHEV with a relatively large battery of which you only have access to a relatively low part) was well ahead of its time and an expensive choice of setup. The engineers won on this one, not the accountants. Very rare that happens in a US multinational. But GM has form. They brought out the EV1 after all.

9701_MTRP_03_I_EVI-C.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Have a search for the dedicated Ampera thread on this forum. A great source of info.

You only got your Ampera recently I take it?

It's a very underrated car that can be had for peanuts from the UK (GBP7-8k with only a few hundred VRT) that will be usable at 100% electric for peoples daily driving. Never for sale here, so you won't get the home charger subsidy (€600) which is unfair. But otherwise it's a very clever choice of car. The setup (PHEV with a relatively large battery of which you only have access to a relatively low part) was well ahead of its time and an expensive choice of setup. The engineers won on this one, not the accountants. Very rare that happens in a US multinational. But GM has form. They brought out the EV1 after all.

9701_MTRP_03_I_EVI-C.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Have a search for the dedicated Ampera thread on this forum. A great source of info.

I have it 6 months now. i got my electrician to put a seperate line from my box to the laneway with a blue plug, 150e so didnt even think about a grant. love the car, although its very unsettling to return and find its let all the windows down.

• Advertisement

The €3,750 Leaf is still for sale, very surprised about that. Would be perfect for a school trip / local / second car etc. Get your €600 subsidy for a charger too. If I didn't have 3 cars already (and a charger), I'd bring some cash and go knock on a door in Drogheda :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nope.

As above, are you pre-heating before you leave. When it's really cold, you can use two ten minute pre-heat to get the car and battery nice and warm before leaving and the range won't decrease as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

It's worth pretty much nothing here unless it can be dejapified.

Seller would have spent €1k plus on shipping alone, on top of that you have VRT and VAT, how it can be sold for that price leaves more questions than answers.

VRT is FREE on this car, and looks to be done already as I see Irish plates in the photos. Plenty of places will change the language to english or swap it out for a new radio. Do people not realise that there are thousands of jap imports every year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

This one seems strange. A 2014 Leaf with all the attributes of a gen 1.......Cream interior, no eco button on steering wheel, electronic handbrake.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2014-142-nissan-leaf-dublin-fpa-201910283776699

This one seems strange. A 2014 Leaf with all the attributes of a gen 1.......Cream interior, no eco button on steering wheel, electronic handbrake.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2014-142-nissan-leaf-dublin-fpa-201910283776699
    Could be as a result of the overhang in car production after the crash of 2008, there are plenty of vehicles registered between 2011 & 2015 that were manufactured a couple of years earlier. They just had to wait until the logjam of surplus vehicles manufactures earlier were sold.

There are quite a large number of vehicles on the roads with 13 or later plates that don't have DRLs which were mandatory on all cars after summer 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What do people think of this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/23416284

2012 Leaf with 154km for just over 4.5k, says good battery health but no further details.
    Also mentions bodywork damage, appears to be scrape on rear right wing but can't see anything else.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cruizer101 wrote: »
    What do people think of this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/23416284

2012 Leaf with 154km for just over 4.5k, says good battery health but no further details.
    Also mentions bodywork damage, appears to be scrape on rear right wing but can't see anything else.

Very vague ad. Pics in the rain to hide damage. No picture of the battery health bars (One mans "good" is another mans "crap").
    Minor body work shouldn't be needed, if it's needed, it's not minor. Though im being pedantic here.

I'd agree a bit vague, I texted him for more info.
    10/12 bars left and in relation to minor bodywork he said bit on rear bumper and drivers quarter panel and good polish is what needed. So thats the scratches you can see in pic and not sure on the rear bumper is it just scratches also.
    I'm don't know too much but 10 bars seems alright given the age and mileage to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In fairness the bodywork is built into the price, lots of folk won't care about state of body and good buy for them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

If that is truly a 10 bar car and you could haggle him down a few hundred quid, you could get yourself a zero depreciation car. In fact a car that would cost less in total cost of ownership than any banger petrol / diesel car that someone gave you for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

cruizer101 wrote:
    I'd agree a bit vague, I texted him for more info. 10/12 bars left and in relation to minor bodywork he said bit on rear bumper and drivers quarter panel and good polish is what needed. So thats the scratches you can see in pic and not sure on the rear bumper is it just scratches also. I'm don't know too much but 10 bars seems alright given the age and mileage to me.
    Perfect as a 2nd / short commute car.

It's a bargain if it's mechanically in good condition and the battery has no bad cells.

The SOH is in 70-77% range.

If you put A economy rated tyres to it (costs 400 or so), it will do 100km in summer and maybe 70km in winter. But forget motorway speed. Perfect as run about.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

cruizer101 wrote: »

Front bumper, under charge door, is mashed in.

Fiesta wrote: »
    Front bumper, under charge door, is mashed in.

Funny I looked at the bumper for a long time, tried comparing it to others, but I'm not sure. It looks pushed in alright but so do some others I don't actually think it damaged there, its too symmetrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And he does say bodywork needed to be fair
    A good bargain to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd be giving AC and DC charging a good test before I'd part with any cash though!

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I'd be giving AC and DC charging a good test before I'd part with any cash though!

A well timed comment given my own current (pun intended) DC charging issues.. but yes agree given the location of the damage.

KCross wrote: »

On the assumption it has DC charging, I can't tell is it a Visia model, don't think it it but Visia models of that age did ship without DC charging.
    Worth asking!

slave1 wrote: »
    On the assumption it has DC charging, I can't tell is it a Visia model, don't think it it but Visia models of that age did ship without DC charging.
    Worth asking!

True.
    It has the Acenta alloys so I presume its not a Visia but you never know.

Was DC optional on all models back then or just Visia... not sure?

slave1 wrote: »
    Worth asking!

It is probably not that relevant to the new owner as it will almost certainly be a second family car (that never needs to go beyond its range)

Could even be a benefit. Show up with cash and ask to see the fast charger. Pretend you are shocked and disappointed it doesn't have fast charging. That that means the car is worth a lot less now. And then offer many hundreds less than asking price :D

It is probably not that relevant to the new owner as it will almost certainly be a second family car (that never needs to go beyond its range)

Could even be a benefit. Show up with cash and ask to see the fast charger. Pretend you are shocked and disappointed it doesn't have fast charging. That that means the car is worth a lot less now. And then offer many hundreds less than asking price :D

It hobbles the car though. You might not go beyond its range often but if you do you'd like to know you can charge it in a reasonable timeframe to get back if needs be.

I wouldnt buy it anyway without DC, even as a second car.

Exactly. That's why it is worth less without fast charging. If for me it was a second car only used for a commute (while the main car is there for everything else, any emergencies etc.) and the car was 5k with CHAdeMO and 4k without CHAdeMO, I would definitely go for the latter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ELM327 wrote: »

Looks about the normal price for UK plates.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Looks about the normal price for UK plates.

Very low VRT on that, UK plates don't make that much difference here for EVs

• Advertisement

The frunk on that car looks pre 2016

Advertisement