Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ltd440

Zamboni wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23039679

Not a bad price for a 2016 L24 even with the mileage...
    Gone already!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

macnab wrote: »
    So what price do you think 2014 Model S will go to when Model 3 is fully available?

If the US is to be followed as the only mature model 3 market, they have settled at or around $30k for early non-AP models.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    If the US is to be followed as the only mature model 3 market, they have settled at or around $30k for early non-AP models.

Youtuber, and enthousiast of all things solar and electric Will Prowse (and a generally nice guy with infectious enthusiasm) just bought one for €28k. He's not known to be a bargain hunter, just pays going rate for stuff.

Plenty of sub $30k Model S on craigslist. Presumably non AP...

Yes but they are 2012
    2014 MS85 is the first one we got here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, just 7 years ago, amazing the leaps Tesla have made

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but they are 2012
    2014 MS85 is the first one we got here

Aye. And I guess your point is that they are all keeping their value well. Which they are.

I remember from at least 2 years ago, when everybody in the pub and everybody in the auto industry still thought that EVs depreciate like mad, a UK report came out showing that the Tesla Model S was the least depreciating car of all. I don't recall it grabbing any headlines. I guess people simply didn't believe it.

The negative depreciation EVs came the year after, continuing until almost today when depreciation on many older second hand EVs is still about zero. And yet some people don't believe us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

unkel wrote: »

The negative depreciation EVs came the year after, continuing until almost today when depreciation on many older second hand EVs is still about zero. And yet some people don't believe us :D

Just out of curiosity I thought of check the depreciation of my 151 (May) 24kWhr 3.3kW Tekna /SVE spec on autotrader
    I paid €13.5k 17 months ago, the prices now are €12.9 to €14k. Admittedly all of those have lower millage than mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KAGY wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I thought of check the depreciation of my 151 (May) 24kWhr 3.3kW Tekna /SVE spec on autotrader
    I paid €13.5k 17 months ago, the prices now are €12.9 to €14k. Admittedly all of those have lower millage than mine.

And real world sales will back up the theory.
    Mouth my 2014 leaf tekna in March 2017 for €9989 and sold it for €11000 in January 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Very cheap leaf @ €3750.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-nissan-leaf/23277596

It's a Japanese import - not sure how that would affect insurance so it would be best to check that out first.

I would have expected more bars for a car with 92k km but it's certainly worth a look.

8 out of 12 bars for a very early Leaf with that sort of miles is about par for the course

Great find, that's a bargain. He'll probably accept €3,500 cash and all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

handofdog wrote: »
    Very cheap leaf @ €3750.

It's a Japanese import - not sure how that would affect insurance so it would be best to check that out first.

I would have expected more bars for a car with 92k km but it's certainly worth a look.

2011 first gen leaf with 8 bars is normal and expected.
    Budget for it to drop to 7 bars and if the mileage works for you then it’s a great buy. It will save you the car price in the first year alone on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Very cheap leaf @ €3750.

I wonder can the audio/nav system be changed out of Japanese mode?

That would be a problem if you cant as you need to be able to navigate the menus to setup charge schedules and app support etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very cheap leaf @ €3750.

It's worth pretty much nothing here unless it can be dejapified.

Seller would have spent €1k plus on shipping alone, on top of that you have VRT and VAT, how it can be sold for that price leaves more questions than answers.

It's worth pretty much nothing here unless it can be dejapified.

Wouldn't go that far. Car would sell for close to €6k if it were Irish / UK. At €3.5k it's a bargain. I would buy it no probs.
    Seller would have spent €1k plus on shipping alone, on top of that you have VRT and VAT, how it can be sold for that price leaves more questions than answers.

Perhaps he brought it in just before it needed its first shaken test in Japan at 3 years old and he got it thousands cheaper than an Irish equivalent. Might have saved himself €5k - €8k after costs. Who knows. There would have been VAT on the car bringing it into Ireland, but not VRT

The battery alone is worth the €3750 considering people are paying €1k+ for 2kWh SolarPV batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll never understand the issue with insurance companies refusing to insure two cars for one owner. Otherwise I'd seriously consider this for my commute.

KCross wrote: »
    The battery alone is worth the €3750 considering people are paying €1k+ for 2kWh SolarPV batteries!

The battery has not an awful lot more than 13kWh usable. And degrading quite a bit every day. Considering a far superior 5kWh Tesla battery module sells for about €1k, I don't think anyone in their right mind would give much more than €2k for that Leaf battery but some eBay sellers seem to be more optimistic than me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

I wonder can the audio/nav system be changed out of Japanese mode?

That would be a problem if you cant as you need to be able to navigate the menus to setup charge schedules and app support etc.

total EV novice here but how much of a hindrance would that realistically be?
    would love to get an EV but most are out of my price range, I would be seriously tempted at that price though.

ooter wrote: »
    total EV novice here but how much of a hindrance would that realistically be?

You can survive without the app support but the charging schedules are somewhat important if you were planning to charge the car at night on cheap night rate electricity.

And there may be other issues with the radio or satnav navigation.... impossible to know until you get into it really.

Other than that I presume the car will drive like any other.

As for charging, just leave the car to permanently charge. And leave the RCBO switched off in your consumer unit. Then just switch the RCBO to "on" when you go to bed, job done! Charging at the cheap night rate.

If I couldn't afford a €6k Leaf, but I'd love to own an EV, I would jump on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SSeanSS

I realise it's impossible to know exactly but what kind of mileage would you expect on a full charge? Have a 40 km commute to work with a charger at work so might be worth it?

SSeanSS wrote: »
    I realise it's impossible to know exactly but what kind of mileage would you expect on a full charge? Have a 40 km commute to work with a charger at work so might be worth it?

It would do the 40km easy enough assuming its not motorway at 120km/h.

If its all <100km/h I'd say it would probably do 75km in total but hard enough to say. Using the inefficient heater during the winter and wet roads might reduce it a bit more.... but your 40km would be fine all year round.

Would you be guaranteed access to the work charger everyday? It would need 4-6hrs to take it back to 100% I'd say.

@Soarer... isnt your 2011 Leaf down to 8 bars also? What's its range?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm almost considering flipping it to avail of the SEAI charger grant (ampera not eligible).

Alkers wrote: »
    I'm almost considering flipping it to avail of the SEAI charger grant (ampera not eligible).

I like your thinking! Was very unfair you didn't get the grant for your Ampera.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

If its all <100km/h I'd say it would probably do 75km in total but hard enough to say. Using the inefficient heater during the winter and wet roads might reduce it a bit more.... but your 40km would be fine all year round.

Would you be guaranteed access to the work charger everyday? It would need 4-6hrs to take it back to 100% I'd say.

75km is spot on. My 2012 Leaf is at 8 bars (61.27 SOH). A full charge is reported as 13.1 kWh on Leaf Spy. A recent experimental trip of 80km (all motorway with speed limited to 100km/hr) was just about do-able - Leaf Spy reported 2kWh remaining. I wouldn't like to do that too often!

I tend to charge from approx 4kWh remaining to 80% (approx 11 kWh) so that takes 2 hours on my wall charger and 3.5-4 hours on the granny cable.

For commuting (approx 10km each way) I can comfortably get the 40km with 6kWh for 2 days with a single 80% charge and still leave plenty room for buffer. This would be at speeds of max 60km/hr and on reasonably level roads.

Alkers wrote: »

Agreed! There's no guarantee that this grant will remain and it was a factor in my decision to buy an entry level Leaf.

I appreciate that there's a risk that I may have missed out on an increased grant in the future. However, with recent removal of other SEAI grants (and business based EV grants) I'd rather have the "bird in the bush" :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i8-save-120k-on-new/23259938

YTE3NjY1N2U1OGE1YjNiOWFjZjhjYjA3ZjEyYmMxYzlkYtE-p1Znz66WG4UaZj_4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ2ODg5MDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

€47k, I never realised these were so cheap!

Brexit car

Has both an Irish and a British plate :D

That is very cheap though. Cheapest one on AT is GBP47 and it is white, so not very desirable. Will cost quite a bit in VRT still to bring it in too. This car has 2 years NCT as well.

That's a pretty good deal. Was looking at the 142D one in Harford Motors a couple of weeks ago.
    A nice car but the EV range is too short. It's like 25km real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

75km is spot on. My 2012 Leaf is at 8 bars (61.27 SOH). A full charge is reported as 13.1 kWh on Leaf Spy. A recent experimental trip of 80km (all motorway with speed limited to 100km/hr) was just about do-able - Leaf Spy reported 2kWh remaining. I wouldn't like to do that too often!

For commuting (approx 10km each way) I can comfortably get the 40km with 6kWh for 2 days with a single 80% charge and still leave plenty room for buffer. This would be at speeds of max 60km/hr and on reasonably level roads.

I'm pretty much the same as handofdog.

LeafSpy is an absolute Godsend with the early Leafs.
    If I'm driving for a while with the heater on, the GOM could be showing me range in the 20s.
    Check LeafSpy, and the battery is up over 50%!

It really is a gom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

He'd want to put in a bit more of a description for €47k and no comeback!

Advertisement