Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭zg3409

ELM327 wrote: »
    EDIT I can't seem to see the link on facebook. It looks like a group I am block from. Is it the counter group "irish ev owners" as opposed to the ievoa?

http://m.facebook.com/groups/1602716789969603?view=permalink&id=2697886937119244&anchor_composer=false

Its the proper Irish EV owners association with a committee etc.. Its a message sent last Friday.
    Its like the peoples front of judea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How does that work anyway? I'd assumed the seller needs to pay off the finance deal with the proceeds from the car and make up any shortfalls out of their own pocket. Can the buyer take over the finance instead?

Ive bought a few like this over the years. This is how ive done it.

1. Viewed Car. and if happy done deal.
    2. Seller got letter of finance clearance figure. He called on speaker phone then to confirm that the figure was still the same on the day of payment.
    3. We both went to bank and i paid the settlement figure directly into the bank account of the Finance House.
    4. Paid seller the balance.
    5. went on our ways (VLC in my possession of course or posted at that time).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,690 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'll get a better deal if you can sniff out an above board seller, since the prospective population of buyers is so small outside of the trade

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is it the counter group "irish ev owners" as opposed to the ievoa?

Lol, "counter group"...

Original group you mean?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol, "counter group"...

Original group you mean?

Yes, original group. Forgive me but all that history - while fascinating to say the least - predates my time in the EV scene. I'm blocked from one of the groups as a moderator/admin took a personal issue with me for something I posted elsewhere, that's all I know :pac:

(PS: Not you Doc, another)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yes, original group. Forgive me but all that history - while fascinating to say the least - predates my time in the EV scene. I'm blocked from one of the groups as a moderator/admin took a personal issue with me for something I posted elsewhere, that's all I know :pac:

(PS: Not you Doc, another)

Fair enough and that's neither here nor there. Your (alleged) sins are your own lol.

But this kind of sniping has been largely left behind on both groups so it irks me to see people like zg3409 stirring the pot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gumbo wrote: »
    Ive bought a few like this over the years. This is how ive done it.

1. Viewed Car. and if happy done deal.
    2. Seller got letter of finance clearance figure. He called on speaker phone then to confirm that the figure was still the same on the day of payment.
    3. We both went to bank and i paid the settlement figure directly into the bank account of the Finance House.
    4. Paid seller the balance.
    5. went on our ways (VLC in my possession of course or posted at that time).

Interesting, sounds like the seller could potentially make some money if the settlement amount is lower than the market price of the car. Or at least offset some of the cost of buying the car new

I always assumed the seller would effectively make a loss on a car with finance since they would cover any shortfall between the market price and the outstanding finance amount

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I always assumed the seller would effectively make a loss on a car with finance since they would cover any shortfall between the market price and the outstanding finance amount

It very much depends on the car, if we'd of sold our Ioniq 18 months into it's PCP we'd of had an outstanding finance figure of about 17k but the car would of very probably sold for 23k at the time. We would of likely walked away with cash. That was due to some very special circumstances at the time, probably one of the few cars where that has ever happened outside the crazy high priced limited luxury cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ioniq electric classic has the lowest depreciation of all mass produced cars :cool:

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq electric classic has the lowest depreciation of all mass produced cars :cool:

Really? 3 year old cars going for 18k. 31k when new. 42% depreciation. Thought that was in around normal (though it's not something I really track)

• Advertisement

Really? 3 year old cars going for 18k. 31k when new. 42% depreciation. Thought that was in around normal (though it's not something I really track)
    It was never 31k new.

Bought mine brand new for just over €25k with metallic paint, sold it 3 years later for just under €20k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Bought mine brand new for just over €25k with metallic paint, sold it 3 years later for just under €20k

I think most people paid €28.5k though, didnt they?
    i.e. that scrappage deal you got was just an introductory offer which they pulled rather quickly when they saw the demand.

So, ~€10k depreciation over 3 years.... which is still excellent, of course.

My actual depreciation was under €6k in 3 full years. I used the scrappage scheme for my previous car, which was indeed about to be scrapped (NCT was out a few days after I traded it in and it was not economical to repair, so the car was worth about €50 in scrap metal). Some people still got the scrappage deal in 2019 and got Ioniqs on the road for €26k

Here's a potential bargain. 2012 Leaf, asking €4,250 but has been for sale for over a month, 10 bars left, long NCT. Private sale, so might take an offer a good bit lower

NDM2ZTRkZDMyYmUxZGI3NzczMzA2ZjIwNzdkM2MxMWR_PHEmE98USNM1rJwvuirXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ1MDgzNjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Linky

Interesting, sounds like the seller could potentially make some money if the settlement amount is lower than the market price of the car. Or at least offset some of the cost of buying the car new

This is always the case. The finance may only be a few k on a 10k car.
    Once there was 6 months payments left on a Camry I bought for taxi use.

It was never 31k new.

I was quoted 31k by my favourite Hyundai dealer ever.

I'm using my fluent sarcasm now.

As for unkels price, it's not reflective of a common price. Great you had a banger to scrap but not everyone was in that situation

As for unkels price, it's not reflective of a common price. Great you had a banger to scrap but not everyone was in that situation

We've been over that a few times. Some dealers let you bring in any banger you bought that day on DoneDeal for €50

In my own case, the dealer did not even look at the car I scrapped until after I left in my brand new Ioniq. I presume it was collected by a scrapyard soon after. The dealer probably only had to fill in the paperwork for Hyundai Ireland. There were official rules like the car had to have a current NCT etc, but some dealers didn't enforce this. So in other words, with a bit of homework anyone could have got an Ioniq for about €26k (plus cost of metallic) in the first few months of 2017. Or better, depending in how well you play that game. Personally I contacted every Hyundai dealer in Ireland, there were 30 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

“.... in the first few months of 2017.“

That’s the point we’re making unkel. Not everyone could buy at your price.

KCross wrote: »
    “.... in the first few months of 2017.“

That’s the point we’re making unkel. Not everyone could buy at your price.

The scrappage was available on and off until sometime in 2019. Look at the Ioniq thread and browse to January 2019 and you'll find a few people buying white Ioniqs for €26k on the road.

But I agree not everyone could buy at my price. I'd be very surprised if anyone in Ireland got an Ioniq with metallic paint for less than what I paid :p

The scrappage was available on and off until sometime in 2019. Look at the Ioniq thread and browse to January 2019 and you'll find a few people buying white Ioniqs for €26k on the road.

But I agree not everyone could buy at my price. I'd be very surprised if anyone in Ireland got an Ioniq with metallic paint for less than what I paid :p

Think the dealer in Limerick was suggested that he might have still been doing it in early 2019. I was tempted, but the diff between 2019 and 2017 wasn't worth that 4 or so grand. To be anyways.

Gone way off topic, sorry.

• Advertisement

Think the dealer in Limerick was suggested that he might have still been doing it in early 2019. I was tempted, but the diff between 2019 and 2017 wasn't worth that 4 or so grand. To be anyways.

Gone way off topic, sorry.

He deffo was. And a dealer in Kildare.
    I nearly bought a brand new ioniq for 26k in January 2019. He told me that once the car drove into his garage I would get scrappage. I ended up buying the i3 in the uk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Yip I got a 26k ioniq with a 800 euro banger on scrappage in Jan 2019. Sold it a year later for about 22 or 23 I think. 3k hit more than cover with my commute miles.
    Amazing deals, hard to find such a deal in evs atm. Bought and sold a new e-soul also,never got into it. But the ioniq at that price was an exception, I think most cars follow same depreciation rates

deegs wrote: »
    Bought and sold a new e-soul also,never got into it

That's surprising! Most people buying them obviously don't mind the looks and when that's not an issue, they seem very happy with the rest of the car. Seems better spec and better value for money than the Kona and a good few thousand cheaper than eNiro.

Agree with the bargains on EVs though. New or second hand. There haven't been many in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Agree with the bargains on EVs though. New or second hand. There haven't been many in the last few years

I suspect it'll be that way for some time, despite the anti-EV crowd saying they'll never catch on there seems to be a lot of demand for EVs. As long as demand outstrips supply there'll be little room for bargains

I suspect if bargains are to be had, they'll be in the high price vehicle category (Model S/X, E-tron, I-pace, etc.) since thanks to the downturn a lot of people who would have bought those mightn't be able to afford the list price.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So Im on a uk Eniro facebook group, and seeing people that have changed their first editions for the "4" they have there, That and also cars will be coming off lease too should be cropping up.

Quick search on auto trader threw this up
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009143697555

Its a First edition E niro listed for 28k gbp, which is just under 31k Euro.

Id say its still on the high side to be called a bargin but not a dreamer either.

That's a bargain dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's a bargain dude!

But, but... it's DAW*. :D

*Domestic appliance white.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's a bargain dude!

Well, then there is 400km cars out there if your willing to take one over.

graememk wrote: »
    Well, then there is 400km cars out there if your willing to take one over.

I know. I did just that earlier this year :D

• Advertisement

That's a bargain dude!

Your favourite colour too

Advertisement