Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have never met the driver of a white or red car that wasn't a knacker or an asshole.

Must be the company you keep.
    But hey, we won’t judge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

graememk wrote: »

It's a 192 as well. Aren't they about 41k new? Seems like a good deal alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

cros13 wrote: »
    20-25% of battery capacity lost. Probably due to a combination of the calendar age, heavy discharge events and heat related loss due to rapid charging.

This kind of capacity loss is largely restricted to the MK1 Leaf (2010 - 2013).

The Mk1.5 Leaf (Late 2013 - 2015, same battery in 2016 mk1.75 24kWh) is seeing capacity loss at a quarter to a fifth of the rate of the Mk1 at the same points in time. Many Mk1.5 leafs, particularly those used regularly have seen no discernable capacity loss. My own Mk1.5 Leaf was showing slightly better battery stats the day I traded it in than the day I picked it up.

The MK1.75 Leaf (30kWh 2016 ->)... we don't know yet.

Is that covered under the warranty?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »

Been up for sale about 2 months now I think. Dropped 1k in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,117 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It was too expensive. A lot of private sellers think they can ask dealer prices, but it doesn't work like that. A 2019 Kona 64kWh in a private sale was worth around the €30k mark a few months ago, perhaps a little bit less again now.

I wonder might the budget panic a few into going EV? Ditch their diesel before the bottom falls out of the diesel market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder might the budget panic a few into going EV? Ditch their diesel before the bottom falls out of the diesel market

I'm sure whatever the Greens have in mind will be watered down to nothing by FF and FG.

There'll be plenty of ambitions and maybe a bit of funding for something, but unless they raise the price of diesel to match petrol and hit them with an emissions tax then the diesel market will continue for a long time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Can't do that. People will change when Electrics are cheap enough and good enough, when the infrastructure is good enough and it takes less than 30 mins to charge or up to 50 mins if the battery is cold.

Imagine waiting 30-50 mins to fill a tank of diesel ?

There's a reason People didn't flock to LCD tellys when they first came out, they were absolute sh1t and the old CRT was by far the best for at least a decade after.

Electric cars are great for many People but not for all and not for a lot of People with no home charging.

There should be a law that everyone is entitles to home charging whether you are renting or own an apartment or not.

Can't do that. People will change when Electrics are cheap enough and good enough, when the infrastructure is good enough and it takes less than 30 mins to charge or up to 50 mins if the battery is cold.

Imagine waiting 30-50 mins to fill a tank of diesel ?

Filling a tank with electricity takes 5 seconds at home on your drive to plug in, come back to it next morning and it's full

Filling a tank of diesel takes a hell of a lot longer than that. You have to go out of your way to one of these shops that sell the fuel, hope it is open, fill up, go queue inside to pay trying not to smell your stinking hands. In 50 years time people will laugh at this. The same way we laugh at people 100 years ago had to go into a pharmacist to buy a gallon jerrycan of petrol :pac:

If you have a 400-500km range EV, you (almost) never need to publicly fast charge it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    If you have a 400-500km range EV, you (almost) never need to publicly fast charge it

We have a derv tank in the yard, and before the ev, I still hated filling the car with diesel. And it was only across the road (usually it was wet/dark when the other half got home) and I filled the car for her.

Now she plugs it in once or twice a week. Job done.

Not much in terms of bargains around. That black Tesla is now sold, the cheap silver Leaf is still around - someone could get a bargain here. And there are a couple of GBP15k ish Ioniqs in the UK. That's cheaper than we've ever seen them before. From late 2016 so almost 4 years old but still with over a year bumper to bumper warranty and over 4 years of battery / drivetrain warranty left

I like that yellow one :cool:

I didn't check the reg, but I think it might belong to an active member of the Ioniq UK forum who did a lot of travelling in that car, including here to Ireland!

So I'm guessing we won't be seeing many UK cars here after December given the likelihood of not having a trade deal with the UK by then.

I decided to take a gander at what the rules are for importing a car from outside the EU and basically you have to produce a certificate of conformity that the customs duty has been paid.

Customs duty it 10% of the value of the car, and I'm guessing the paperwork involved isn't trivial so you'd likely need some professional help like an import agent, who probably doesn't work for free.

So I'm gonna guess we'll likely see a 15% jump in cost of an import. With some luck however, sterling will collapse completely, which might mitigate some of the added cost.

So I'm guessing we won't be seeing many UK cars here after December given the likelihood of not having a trade deal with the UK by then.

I decided to take a gander at what the rules are for importing a car from outside the EU and basically you have to produce a certificate of conformity that the customs duty has been paid.

Customs duty it 10% of the value of the car, and I'm guessing the paperwork involved isn't trivial so you'd likely need some professional help like an import agent, who probably doesn't work for free.

So I'm gonna guess we'll likely see a 15% jump in cost of an import. With some luck however, sterling will collapse completely, which might mitigate some of the added cost.

You forgot the 21% VAT :D

Basically, EV imports from the UK will stop. Unless there is such a huge recession in the UK that GBP devaluates by at least 40-50% against EUR

unkel wrote: »
    You forgot the 21% VAT :D

Basically, EV imports from the UK will stop. Unless there is such a huge recession in the UK that GBP devaluates by at least 40-50% against EUR

Yeah, I had assumed that the VAT exemption was still valid for cars outside the EU, but it probably isn't.

So that's around a 36% price jump, so yeah as you say the import market is going to die completely.

It won't just be EVs I reckon, it'll be all vehicles. I can't imagine anyone will be rushing to buy a diesel BMW from the UK when with VRT as well its effectively 50% tax. It's probably more expensive than a new one here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

2019 JAGUAR I-PACE EV4

Category:N REPAIRABLE NON STRUCTURAL

Odometer:2659

Current Bid:£26,000 GBP

Minimum Bid: £36,000 GBP buy it now.....

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/48970550

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Warning to anyone looking at a CPO from Tesla. The warranties have been shortened. For the older cars it's now only 1 year / 10,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The deal keeps getting worse and worse. And the CPO cars currently on offer are frightfully expensive.

Found the full details:

Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles. If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date.

The balance of original Battery and Drive Unit Limited warranty still applies for used vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Wow when did that change??

Think it may be worth holding onto mine for a while. They obviously are not as comfortable as they used to be with the reliability of their cars!!
    jhegarty wrote: »
    Found the full details:

Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles. If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date.

The balance of original Battery and Drive Unit Limited warranty still applies for used vehicles.

• Advertisement

Smck1983 wrote: »

Think it may be worth holding onto mine for a while. They obviously are not as comfortable as they used to be with the reliability of their cars!!

It only changed today.

Is it a question of reliability, or are they trying to push people to buy newer cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Yes thought of that afterwards. Think they really don’t want to be dealing with second hand and now they are so well know I guess their main focus is new cars.

Leaves an opening for independent here to do all the small repairs. Hopefully someone will step in.

Meanwhile will enjoy CPO warranty until 2022.
    Is it a question of reliability, or are they trying to push people to buy newer cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,680 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So they take away the free Suc and free connectivity, and only for 1 year/10k miles additional warranty?
    Pfffhh thats crap.

Yes thought of that afterwards. Think they really don’t want to be dealing with second hand and now they are so well know I guess their main focus is new cars.

Leaves an opening for independent here to do all the small repairs. Hopefully someone will step in.

Meanwhile will enjoy CPO warranty until 2022.

Lets gets Rich Rebuilds on the case :D

Seriously, I think you're correct. There's an opening here for Tesla & other EV focused garages. You could even get OEMs making copycat parts to replace components that Tesla won't sell

ELM327 wrote: »
    So they take away the free Suc and free connectivity, and only for 1 year/10k miles additional warranty?
    Pfffhh thats crap.

What Elon giveth, he also takes away...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If Tesla do not want to deal in CPO then they simply should go purchase only model, no trade ins.
    Simples....glad I have my free Suc and connectivity and 2022 warranty before it all collapsed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Surely they couldn't be expected to continue providing 2/4 year warranties on 5/6/7 year old cars? They're mental money even with the warranty imho, and deffo not a car to own outside of warranty, you wouldn't be going to Micks garage for Tesla parts thats for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Orebro wrote: »
    Surely they couldn't be expected to continue providing 2/4 year warranties on 5/6/7 year old cars? They're mental money even with the warranty imho, and deffo not a car to own outside of warranty, you wouldn't be going to Micks garage for Tesla parts thats for sure.

If that’s the case will they be scrapped once the warranty runs out?
    The parts are no more expensive than BMW, Audi or any of the other premium brands.

The big thing is the battery in fairness. If it goes. But the same for a 520d. If the engine goes. If.

I’m biased though. I drive a 2014 :)

• Advertisement

Not well respected here, but if a 38 ioniq suits your needs here's 2 bargains

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098/permalink/2074839079319045/?sale_post_id=2074839079319045

UK ex demo 202 reg white ioniq38. 2 of them. 30k

Advertisement