Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    No probs.
    Yeah last 10 days or so I've just noticed a nice drop, about 60 beats under my max

Good stuff. Keep it up and we might even consider you for the 'chaimen of the boards(.ie)' Cork Relay squad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff. Keep it up and we might even consider you for the 'chaimen of the boards(.ie)' Cork Relay squad :D

Extra motivation...I love it :D

6.5ish miles at slightly above recovery effort at 8:54 pace, AHR 150
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150015679

I decided to head up Edmondstown road so that was a 1.5 mile uphill start, don't think my legs appreciated it. Then over to Marlay before heading home but as I passed St Endas park I remembered sth about hill sprints, I thought it was 6x10 seconds (and I was right). I did these beside the Pearse museum and enjoyed them.
    Having checked my schedule I was to do them all out which I didn't, maybe 90% if I was to have a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u know u want ta:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Having checked my schedule I was to do them all out which I didn't, maybe 90% if I was to have a guess.

Do whatever coach says but better not to do sprints all-out. Better to aim for 97%, then you will keep is slightly relaxed and actaully be faster.

• Advertisement

First chink in my armour since xmas week.

Plan for today was 4x3k. I was so looking forward to this. I went to bed early and woke early to have a good brekky and after a few emails with coach I was ready to hammer it. I was aiming for 6:40 pace for the first 2 and then 6:30 for the last 2.

However, my sitting on the toilet heart rate :D (we all do it don't we) which normally gets to a low of 48 would only go as low as 62 this morning. This concerned me a little. I then set off on my warm up and it felt like the last couple of miles of a 20 mile Lsr and I was sweating badly and didn't even feel like I could speed up to do a few strides.
    I spent the whole warm up debating whether or not to do the session and decided what the hell I'm here now maybe it'll all work out.
    It didn't and every step felt like a struggle and having finished the 3k I was ready to keel over. I still for whatever reason thought that maybe I'll feel better after a 2 minute recovery, I didn't but still set off on the next rep. I think I was persisting so as to show no mental weakness but finally 30 seconds in to rep 2 and sense prevailed.
    I was a little annoyed not to have finished the session and I justified it with a better to miss a session than a few days of no running.
    Thing is though, I feel fine now.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150170547

Thing is though, I feel fine now.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150170547

That lasted all of a couple of hours before I got a thumping headache and a bit of puking. So looks like it was a good call on not finishing the session.

I felt a 100% yesterday but I decided to take a day off anyway as I knew I'd be busy with the Dublin indoors for juveniles.

Coach had given me two options.
    1. Go do the 4x3k session
    or
    2. 7 mile tempo

I went with the latter given that the race is next weekend and I have 1k and 200m reps on Tuesday.

So today 10.15 miles, including 7 at 7:33 pace, AHR 171
    This was easy enough, I decided on watching the heart rate rather than pace and decided on the lowish effort of 170bpm. My legs were very fresh and the effort felt very comfortable and I had plenty of miles left in the tank.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150941647

My garmin acted up for the first time in a while and I know why so me and my watch are on good terms again.

5 mile recovery run at 8:52 pace, AHR 144 (72% of max)

I got my new runners today, saucony progrid guide 4 (I think). They feel great and I'm finally happy with my lunarglide 2 replacements. Only one negative and that is that they seem to lack the bounce you would expect from a new shoe but I don't care that much as they feel great.

8.36 miles including 4x1k and 4x200m

1k splits
    4:05, 4:03, 3:58, 3:59

Really happy with these as it was very windy in the park. They felt comfortably hard and the pace was even throughout. Recovery was a 200m jog about 90 seconds.

230m
    43, 43, 44, 41

I knew this stretch would be about 200m but garmin tells me 230, so I guess the 43s were a bit faster than what was planned. I did these with the wind at my back as I couldn't face doing them into the wind so the recovery was a jog back to the start.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/151456187

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You'll smash 20 for 5k, do you have a race in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Mr Slow wrote: »

Looks like he's gone ahead of you again :D

Looks like he's gone ahead of you again :D

Well, he's 'Getting back to his best' ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »

I'm going to race the MSB 5k in town on the 18th of March, it's a great course and I've had some good experiences here.
    Regarding sub 20 I'm not too worried about it, I think I could run that now, so the real question is can I beat my PB of 19:25 set on the MSB course in 2009.

@Briandejogger
    I think we still have an unsettled bet, I had been expecting the heavies to come and collect on your behalf but they never came :D
    I am 100% doing MSB 5k so if you want to come up with a number closer to the time, we can make it happen.

I'm supposed to be racing this weekend in Dungarvan but I won't know till tomorrow whether I can make it or not.

@Briandejogger
    I think we still have an unsettled bet, I had been expecting the heavies to come and collect on your behalf but they never came :D
    I am 100% doing MSB 5k so if you want to come up with a number closer to the time, we can make it happen.

Yeah for sure, something like 19'30 maybe. We'll decide it a week before or so.

Just make sure you go out and have a few pints on Paddy's night, help you relax ;)

For a bit of added Incentive...

How's about you beat Digger and you take his place on the Cork relay team?

For a bit of added Incentive...

How's about you beat Digger and you take his place on the Cork relay team?

I like digger and the above suggestion seems a bit mean but...:D

I wonder what odds our bookie would do on that, Digger probably favourite but flying under the radar.

In all fairness though, if Digger isn't available or anyone else for that matter count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Surely the only fair solution is to have all the places on the relay team up for grabs on the day, like the US Olympics trials - first five finishers are in, everybody else is out of luck.

RayCun wrote: »
    Surely the only fair solution is to have all the places on the relay team up for grabs on the day, like the US Olympics trials - first five finishers are in, everybody else is out of luck.

Haha myself and Robin are preselected :D
    I like digger and the above suggestion seems a bit mean but...

I wonder what odds our bookie would do on that, Digger probably favourite but flying under the radar.

In all fairness though, if Digger isn't available or anyone else for that matter count me in.

Digger 1/2 fav yeah. If he gets over his back injuries of course.

Our three fastest runners won't be there and I have already booked the team and paid for it so I am in :pac:

So it's just the last place that's up for grabs.....are you interested in adding your name to the hat?

Our three fastest runners won't be there and I have already booked the team and paid for it so I am in :pac:

So it's just the last place that's up for grabs.....are you interested in adding your name to the hat?

We can get 2 teams if we have the interest. Mix up the abilities so its close between us maybe. It's only a bit of fun anyway (i'll be on the piss the night before :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

are you interested in adding your name to the hat?

I'll be on a warm weather stuffing my face and drinking training camp that week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

We can get 2 teams if we have the interest. Mix up the abilities so its close between us maybe. It's only a bit of fun anyway (i'll be on the piss the night before :D)
    Dropped to B team ;)......

3.1 miles at 8:16 pace, AHR 154
    Including 4x200 off 90 seconds at roughly race pace.

I ended up taking yesterday off which was just as well as I've been feeling a little tired and stressed.
    Thankfully my stress is now gone and I'm feeling more energetic and can't wait for the race which is definitely on.

That's a great idea, might be good for next year using the Raheny 5 or Mallow as the deciding race?

4 miles at 8:06 pace, AHR 154
    Included 4x100m ish strides at the end of each mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So the fastest 3 of the team are Robin, Brian and ME. Meno pays for everyone but does that include the free booze that Brian's having the night before?

I bet the 5th member (Digger) must be feeling the love for his team members at the moment.

chinguetti wrote: »

I bet the 5th member (Digger) must be feeling the love for his team members at the moment.

I'd say it's the last thing on his mind as he hits the slopes (jammy git).

2.15 miles at 8:11 pace, AHR 158
    included 4x20 seconds.

My heart rate was a little high but I put that down to being on my feet for a fair few hours. Legs feel terrific after a bit of stretching and I'm very excited about the race, not so much about the near 3 hour trip down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

2.15 miles at 8:11 pace, AHR 158
    included 4x20 seconds.

My heart rate was a little high but I put that down to being on my feet for a fair few hours. Legs feel teriffic after a bit of stretching and I'm very excited about the race, not so much about the near 3 hour trip down :D

Best of luck tomorrow, bud. Remember Ice T but most importantly enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

best of luck hope it goes well , i'm sure your hard work will pay off.

Advertisement