Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Mister!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done, great day out for you! Good to meet you at the start line, glad the extra pin came in handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Woddle wrote: »
    I also normally just run against the clock and not other people but by targeting those in front it helped keep my focus

Yeah, sometimes I can concentrate on cadence etc, but usually I find it easier to keep my speed up by picking people to pass out. It can backfire, though, if you're in the middle of a bunch of people who are all slowing down.
    Good running today anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

5 mile recovery run this morning at 9:11 pace, AHR 149

Legs a little tired but not as bad as I thought they'd be.

My wife and middle daughter have been feeling unwell and the latter puked all over the place this morning so hopefully I don't get it as I've had a great January, only missing 3 days. Looking back at last years diary it took me till the middle of May to reach this months tally :D shocking reading.

I may not run the mountain half now. I can tell that coach would rather I run sth else. So I'm looking at Dungarvan 10k on Feb 26th.

So I'm looking at Dungarvan 10k on Feb 26th.

Enniscorthy's on the 12th???:)

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Enniscorthy's on the 12th???:)

A bit too soon. I'd like to get another 4/5 good weeks in without distraction, plus my parents have a place close to Passage east so I can make a weekend out of it with the family.
    Also allows you to set me a nice benchmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again. Great to catch up on the finish line!

claralara wrote: »
    Well done again. Great to catch up on the finish line!

Thanks and well done you.

I think when you get all this ultra stuff out of your system :D you should seriously consider the shorter stuff and finding out how fast you are. Could be your true calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks and well done you.

I think when you get all this ultra stuff out of your system :D you should seriously consider the shorter stuff and finding out how fast you are. Could be your true calling.

Worth considering alright.... As if I need more ideas put into my head!!

Could be good training for Berlin during the summer though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great race there Woddle!
    The paces are really consistent throughout a sure sign of a well run race. What is the ultimate goal for 5 miles and where is your target event?
    With all the long, slow runs i have been doing recently I'm looking forward to PC - Post Connemara - so that I can get back to working on a bit of speed over the Summer...I feel I have really levelled-off at this stage for the shorter stuff!
    Well done again!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Great race there Woddle!
    The paces are really consistent throughout a sure sign of a well run race. What is the ultimate goal for 5 miles and where is your target event?
    With all the long, slow runs i have been doing recently I'm looking forward to PC - Post Connemara - so that I can get back to working on a bit of speed over the Summer...I feel I have really levelled-off at this stage for the shorter stuff!
    Well done again!

Cheers and well done yourself down and Bray, sounded like great crack.

Funny thing is I hadn't done any speed work until 2 weeks ago and even at that it's at 10 mile race pace.
    Next few races are Feb 26th Dungarvan 10k and March 18th MSB 5k and then the main event Berlin half marathon on the 1st of April.

No ultimate goal as such for 5 miles (no limits :D ) but a sub 30 in Raheny next year sure would be nice.

I think in a way all this long slow running you're doing will give you the best base ever to work off in the summer and I can see you hammering a lot of PB's and hopefully the urge for ultra stuff will have left and been replaced by a speed demon.

28/31 runs completed
    178 miles

5.15 miles at 9:00 pace, AHR 151

I was so looking forward to this run as my new lunarglides had arrived...what a let down. There heavy, loose and slippy under foot. I had to stop twice to adjust the lock laces and I still don't have them right. I'll wear them to the track tonight and hopefully sort out the looseness.
    I really wish shoe companies would just leave a good shoe alone.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feb 26th Dungarvan 10k
    You driving down for that?

You driving down for that?

I am but could be making a weekend of it with the family. You considering it aswell?

I am but could be making a weekend of it with the family. You considering it aswell?

Possibly, would prefer to find a 10k closer to home but the timing suits for this one.

Possibly, would prefer to find a 10k closer to home but the timing suits for this one.

Yeah timing is perfect for me also and having ran the ten miler before I know the course is fair. Looking at sosas race link, looks like the harder miles (if you can call it that) are at the start and it's a matter of free wheeling to the finish :D I hope

it's a matter of free wheeling to the finish :D I hope
    No such thing as that in a 10k :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yeah timing is perfect for me also and having ran the ten miler before I know the course is fair. Looking at sosas race link, looks like the harder miles (if you can call it that) are at the start and it's a matter of free wheeling to the finish :D I hope

The section coming up to the main road with 2-3km left is tough enough but overall it's as fast if not faster than Dunshaughlin if the 10 mile route is anything to go by, unless the oil slick is still on the road that is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was so looking forward to this run as my new lunarglides had arrived...what a let down. There heavy, loose and slippy under foot. I had to stop twice to adjust the lock laces and I still don't have them right. I'll wear them to the track tonight and hopefully sort out the looseness.
    I really wish shoe companies would just leave a good shoe alone.

Did you get the +3's? They are an absolute disaster. They are still seeling +2's in most lifestyles, elvery's etc.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did you get the +3's? They are an absolute disaster. They are still seeling +2's in most lifestyles, elvery's etc.

Yeah the +3, I've adjusted the lock lace a bit up at the track and they seem to be a better fit, hopefully tomorrows run will tell me there the best shoe ever.

I got 700 miles out of the 2's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah the +3, I've adjusted the lock lace a bit up at the track and they seem to be a better fit, hopefully tomorrows run will tell me there the best shoe ever.

I got 700 miles out of the 2's.

I retired my 3s after one or two runs. Horrible wedge in the midfoot hurts my foot. I know 2 others who got 3s aswell and both have sent them into a very early retirement. It seems no-one likes them because JJBs were selling them off for €40 last month.

6.9 miles up to and around marlay park at 9:10 pace, AHR 149

It was an OK run, let some dogs annoy me and ended up roaring and cursing at a home owner to come out (he didn't, I suppose I can't blame him) and take responsibility for his 3 mutts who in attempt to bite me forced me on to the road where I was inches from being knocked down.

Finished with 4x25 seconds worth of strides.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrows run.
    6x1 mile at estimated current 10 mile race pace off 90 secs (I think)

I was really looking forward to todays session (despite the signs of a sore throat), the race has helped with confidence and has woken my body up a bit.

I got a mail last night from coach to say go out at what you think is your current 10 mile race pace. I thought about this (and I may be getting over confident :D ) but I do believe I'd break sub 70 if there was a race this weekend. So I thought 6:57/58 is what I'll aim for.

I did the first one with a friend and we both started too fast but I went to the front and settled the pace. The heart rate readings were encouraging, better than last weeks opening mile.
    I was taking 90 seconds to recover instead of last weeks two minutes and this proved to be ideal as the heart rate got back to low 130s evertime bar the last.
    As the reps went on I realised I was getting faster for pretty much a similar effort and after the 4th I decided I'd try and make each of them faster than the previous.
    On the 5th rep I was going perfect till I saw a hotty I know 300 meters from the finish, so I sucked in the belly and sped up... stupid stupid stupid.
    This sounds like dejavu again x3 :D
    This meant that I didn't get the heart rate down to low 130s in prep for the last and it felt a little tougher than it should have.
    So the first 4 reps were perfect and the figures were way better than last weeks off less recovery but I made a mess of last 2 but still... very enouraged.

rep|Starting HR|Time|AVE HR|MAX HR
    Mile 1|134|6:57|170|177
    Mile 2|130|6:55|173|179
    Mile 3|130|6:51|174|181
    Mile 4|133|6:49|175|182
    Mile 5|133|6:41|178|186
    Mile 6|143|6:38|180|187

Garmin link for warm up plus reps
    2.5 mile cool down
    Garmin also show that my mile loop is between 0.99-1.01 and has an elevation gain/loss of somewhere between +3 and -3 ft, it really is a lovely lap

I was going perfect till I saw a hotty I know 300 meters from the finish, so I sucked in the belly and sped up... stupid stupid stupid.

I'm sure she appreciated the effort and that'll pay dividends if you end up divorced for posting publically that you were checking out young wans while supposedly engaged in the wholesome activity that is running.;)

I woke at 5:15 and just couldn't get back asleep so decided to just get up and get out.
    5 miles at 9:36 pace, AHR 143 (a PB :D )

Tis cold out there -2.5

Also my sore throat is a little worse.

I was to do my long run today but I had a lot on and just about managed to get out at 9pm for
    3.65 miles at 8:38 pace, AHR 149

Feeling much better today.

I'll get out for 10 tomorrow morning rather than the 13/14 as I have a session on Monday.

Plan for next week
    Mon - 10 miles including 5 @ current half marathon pace
    Tue - 5 mile recovery
    Wed - 7 miles including 6x10 secs all out hill sprints
    Thu - 10 miles including 5x2k @ current 10m race pace
    Fri - 5 mile recovery
    Sat - 13 mile Lsr
    Sun - 5 mile recovery

10.12 miles this morning at 8:29 pace, AHR 153

I enjoyed the first 6/7 miles of this but not so much 8/9/10.
    I hadn't eaten anything between last nights run and this mornings so I'll blame it on that but as a result I'm going to push the sessions for next week back a day and just do a recovery run tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I was to do my long run today but I had a lot on and just about managed to get out at 9pm for
    3.65 miles at 8:38 pace, AHR 149

Feeling much better today.

I'll get out for 10 tomorrow morning rather than the 13/14 as I have a session on Monday.

Plan for next week
    Mon - 10 miles including 5 @ current half marathon pace
    Tue - 5 mile recovery
    Wed - 7 miles including 6x10 secs all out hill sprints
    Thu - 10 miles including 5x2k @ current 10m race pace
    Fri - 5 mile recovery
    Sat - 13 mile Lsr
    Sun - 5 mile recovery

I'll prob have a 13 next sat also, if pheonix park is any good for you. But might be a bit slow for you.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'll prob have a 13 next sat also, if pheonix park is any good for you. But might be a bit slow for you.

Sounds like a plan and any pace is fine with me.
    What time you thinking, the earlier the better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sounds like a plan and any pace is fine with me.
    What time you thinking, the earlier the better for me.

Was thinking 9 am , if thats ok could try an make it a bit earlier but not able for those 6am runs.

Advertisement