Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    Was thinking 9 am , if thats ok could try an make it a bit earlier but not able for those 6am runs.

9 is grand.

Having looked at the weeks schedule again, I thought it best to just stick to it. So despite being a little tired it was time for a 5 mile tempo.

Just under 2 miles of a warm up with 5x18 second strides.

I headed up to marlay park and the 1k loop and set off hoping to hit 7:10 pace but I went off a little too fast and found myself trying to hold back to let the pace slow. It wasn't working and in the end it settled at 7:02/03, the heart rate was low enough and it felt easy so I just tried to keep at that pace.
    All going well and time was flying but heart rate was slowly rising. I didn't want to slow down and run the 2nd half slower than the first, I need not have worried as the average pace came all the way down to 6:59 and then I picked it up a little for the last and the overall pace for the 5 miles was 6:58, 34:49.

This was not half marathon pace and despite feeling tired leading up to this I felt good and could have continued for a few more (if I didn't up it for the last :D )

1.7ish miles of a cool down

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/147656554

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

passed me out ya fecker :pac:

RayCun wrote: »

I've been eyeing you for a while now :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Woddle wrote: »
    I've been eyeing you for a while now :D

Get a room :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Plan for next week
    Wed - 7 miles including 6x10 secs all out hill sprints

If you don't mind me asking, wheres good for hill sprints in Rathfarnham area?

If you don't mind me answering :), Bushy Park if you want a steep hill, or the stretch of Taylor's Lane between the Grange golf club and St Enda's Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

If you don't mind me answering :), Bushy Park if you want a steep hill, or the stretch of Taylor's Lane between the Grange golf club and St Enda's Park

Cheers. Looking for something that would break the spirit - short, steep & painful - roundabout on taylors lane up edmondstown road into moyville is steepest in that area I've found, any other ones along these lines? I can only train in the dark in the evening so I think Bushy park is closed then is it?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Cheers. Looking for something that would break the spirit - short, steep & painful - roundabout on taylors lane up edmondstown road into moyville is steepest in that area I've found, any other ones along these lines? I can only train in the dark in the evening so I think Bushy park is closed then is it?

you can always get into Bushy Park - there are no gates to lock along the front, on Templeogue Road, so there's no problem getting in. I don't know what Edmondstown road is like, but in the club we often run up Stocking Lane, there's a good wide path up the hill.
    You should come along actually - Tuesdays and Thursdays, meeting at 7pm in the car park behind Knocklyon shopping centre, between the primary school and the church. Tuesdays are hill sessions, Thursdays are speed sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gringo78 wrote: »

If you go on up that hill a bit it gets much steeper. The stretch from the Edmondstown Primary school (under the M50 bridge) to up past to the Merry Ploughboy pub is a much steeper section.

• Advertisement

Stocking lane is your best bet, from Scholarstown up to the roundabout is about 0.85 miles and it's well lit and on a nice wide path/cycle track. They have the road closed at the moment for the next 2 weeks but I'm sure the paths are still fine. Also the other side of that roundabout coming from Stocking avenue I think they've named it, very long and gets steeper towards the end.

Moyvill is a great little hill and it's where I take Emily and it's good for a double hit as when you go up the first hill if you turn right there's another one waiting.

Grange golf course up to the forto :D is good but only about 0.2 miles but if you came at it from the other side 16 bus stop it's a little longer.

Going up Edmondstown at night is a no no, nice steep hill but no path and bendy roads.

If you ever did get to do it in daylight, Kilmashogue roundabout up towards the Kilmashougue car park is super hard, jerry Kiernans group do sessions there on a Saturday

One more which is excellent. Bottle thrower tower pub up Beaumount avenue and on to Barton road. Only a mile and a bit from the yellow house pub

One final suggestion and it's a good one.
    On Taylors lane, (Londis is on your left and you'll see a library and a few bungalows on your right) take a right at the lights, very steep hill up Palmer park and once at the top turn left and run 50m and then turn right and you have a 2nd steep climb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

you can always get into Bushy Park - there are no gates to lock along the front, on Templeogue Road, so there's no problem getting in. I don't know what Edmondstown road is like, but in the club we often run up Stocking Lane, there's a good wide path up the hill.
    You should come along actually - Tuesdays and Thursdays, meeting at 7pm in the car park behind Knocklyon shopping centre, between the primary school and the church. Tuesdays are hill sessions, Thursdays are speed sessions.
    The problem might be getting out in one piece. I'd stay out of bushy at night, may be OK now but there was a few serious incidents over the last couple of years.

I took Tuesday off as a rest day. I had a few niggles that needed rolling. Not sure if the niggles are being caused by the new runners or the fact that I've been wearing my racers more than usual because I hate my new runners.

I then ended up missing yesterday which really pissed me off cause if I had of known that my wife had sth on (not her fault, she got a late call :D I would have swapped days.

Anyway on to today I was to do 5x2k off 90 secs jogging and if I felt good I was not to do a superman but instead do a 6th rep. I did all 6 reps but not with jogging in between, more like 90 seconds of pacing up and down. Not sure why I didn't do the jogging. I had to take my long sleeved top off after the first rep and I also like watching what happens to my heart rate while recovering, gives me an idea of how hard I should go.

First rep was 6:55 pace and felt too easy and as you can see from the table my heart rate went all the way back to 127 so I upped it a bit and found a good balance, knowing that I was going to do the 6th rep kept me cautious for reps 2-5 but on the 6th after a messy start with a wet bezel I took off too fast but decided it was OK and finished it in 6:26 pace.

I did this up in Marlay again on the 1k lap.

If I hadn't of done the last one at 6:26 pace I reckon I could of done another rep or 2.
    Really pleased with how things are progressing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148313703

rep|Starting HR|Time|PACE|AVE HR|MAX HR
    Rep 1|156|8:39|6:55|172|177
    Rep 2|127|8:31|6:48|175|181
    Rep 3|129|8:31|6:48|177|183
    Rep 4|137|8:27|6:46|180|185
    Rep 5|132|8:25|6:44|181|186
    Rep 6|153|8:09|6:26|185|191

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great session there Woddle, your training is very obviously working for you. What's your target race?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Great session there Woddle, your training is very obviously working for you. What's your target race?

Thanks. Berlin half on April 1st. Really looking forward to it.

5.1ish miles worth of recovery this afternoon at 9:14 pace, AHR 139 :eek: (PB :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148520814

I've noticed this the last couple of weeks that the day after a session my heart rate seems to be very low despite the legs being wrecked.
    The legs are so tired that I'm now wearing my skins.

Meant to say that I got to do todays run in Lunarglides 1 thanks to meno, he generously donated me a pair and I'm very thankful. So I'll use these for pretty much every run and maybe use the 3s on the odd recovery run. Thanks meno.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

I've noticed this the last couple of weeks that the day after a session my heart rate seems to be very low despite the legs being wrecked.

Might be because you're low in glycogen. Are you refuelling well after the session? Eating well within 90mins?

If tired, also I forgot you are running with shels tomorrow, so just do the run easy, don't worry about the amendment to your schedule.

Might be because you're low in glycogen. Are you refuelling well after the session? Eating well within 90mins?

If tired, also I forgot you are running with shels tomorrow, so just do the run easy, don't worry about the amendment to your schedule.

No have to run earlier now due to girls having birthday parties.
    Regarding refueling I forgot to eat. Straight after yesterdays session I had to shower and then head to the juniors training. Got home at 8:45 and a friend called in. Went to bed at 11 and realised I was starving but was too lazy to get up and get sth. Finally had sth at 10am this morning. That explains it so.

Legs were still a bit sore, so I opted for another recovery run.

5 miles at 8:40 pace, AHR 149

My lower right shin is a little sore at the moment, I'm blaming it on my tight calfs from the lunarglide 3s. Hopefully a bit of foam rolling tonight will sort it out. I actually cancelled my night out so as to rest up and roll :eek:

Legs were still a bit sore, so I opted for another recovery run.

5 miles at 8:40 pace, AHR 149

My lower right shin is a little sore at the moment, I'm blaming it on my tight calfs from the lunarglide 3s. Hopefully a bit of foam rolling tonight will sort it out. I actually cancelled my night out so as to rest up and roll :eek:

Choices now....depending on niggle. If it's still sore just rest or run short and easy till it's okay. If it's okay tomorrow you could:

a) do long run tomorrow and push sessions back to Tuesday, Fri, Sun next week (not a bad week for this as the long run is short next week anyhow)

b) combine Monday session and todays long run tomorrow (session about 12m anyway I think), do next session Wednesday, long run Saturday

c) just run 1 hr easy tomorrow and continue schedule as is from then (missing long run no biggie)

Point being I suppose not to try to do long run tomorrow and session Monday :)

Look after the leg.

• Advertisement

Choices now....depending on niggle. If it's still sore just rest or run short and easy till it's okay. If it's okay tomorrow you could:

a) do long run tomorrow and push sessions back to Tuesday, Fri, Sun next week (not a bad week for this as the long run is short next week anyhow)

Point being I suppose not to try to do long run tomorrow and session Monday :)

Look after the leg.

Option A looks good.
    I've already been working away on it but does anyone else have this problem when foam rolling. :D

My right shin felt 100% this morning so I decided on a 10 miler. I chose a hilly route and decided to work a tiny bit harder on the uphill sections. Mile 5 broke me. Very enjoyable run so I tacked on another mile, but now my left shin is at me, so more foam rolling.

11 miles at 8:14 pace, AHR 162
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149007206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

My right shin felt 100% this morning so I decided on a 10 miler. I chose a hilly route and decided to work a tiny bit harder on the uphill sections. Mile 5 broke me. Very enjoyable run so I tacked on another mile, but now my left shin is at me, so more foam rolling.

11 miles at 8:14 pace, AHR 162
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149007206

Don't go ott on the foam roller, its a great thing to use but if you've got sessions planned it can leave you a little beat up. I wouldnt do a session after a trip to the physio and the same can be the case for the foam roller. But depends how much your doing on it.
    Think I did myself more harm than good last year with over use.

5 mile recovery run at 9:09 pace, AHR 141

My legs need a little bit more TLC (quads now) but todays run was aerobically one of the easiest and the average low heart rate backs it up.

I'm moaning about my legs but in all seriousness they should be fine by tomorrow, a bit more stretching and rolling should see them right and just as well as I have a 10k tempo run at 7:00 pace, should be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Option A looks good.
    I've already been working away on it but does anyone else have this problem when foam rolling. :D

I've two that take it as an invitation and laugh when I moan, the dog now also thinks it's part of her playtime! :mad:

6876638669_7f421da275_z.jpg ,

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149584182

A really good session today. My legs were feeling better so I went with my racers. I intended on 7:00 pace and got close with 6:57 pace which I held for 8k and then I just ever so slightly picked it up bringing the pace down to 6:54 and more importantly ducking under 43 mins for 10k with a 42:59, also a really annoying wind for half a lap everytime and I didn't get it at my back due to the trees.

10.14 miles in total (and overtakes Raycun :D in the 1000 mile challenge
    6.27 miles at 6:54 pace, AHR 175, MAX 184
    4x25 second strides at 4;45-5:04 pace

Comparing todays with last weeks tempo makes for some nice reading.
    Last week was 5 miles at 6:58 pace, AHR 180, MAX194

Smashed it. Great stuff. All you've to do now is Believe.

Thursday/Friday session amended now. Victim of your own success :)
    Well done boy.

5 mile recovery run at 8:50 pace, AHR 142

The AHR of 142 seems to be my new recovery effort, a month ago this would have read 150.
    My legs aren't too bad after yesterday but I'll have another recovery run tomorrow before the next session 4x3k on Friday and I can't wait, this session will hopefully give me a good guide confidence for the Dungarvan 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

5 mile recovery run at 8:50 pace, AHR 142

The AHR of 142 seems to be my new recovery effort, a month ago this would have read 150.
    My legs aren't too bad after yesterday but I'll have another recovery run tomorrow before the next session 4x3k on Friday and I can't wait, this session will hopefully give me a good guide confidence for the Dungarvan 10k.

That's a decent recovery pace but the HR says it's good. Thanks again for the loo this morning.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's a decent recovery pace but the HR says it's good. Thanks again for the loo this morning.

No probs.
    Yeah last 10 days or so I've just noticed a nice drop, about 60 beats under my max

Advertisement