Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Week 2/12

Almost an identical replica of week 1.

Monday - 8 miles ez, could have ran forever.

Tuesday - 8 miles ez, humid and a little flat.

Wednesday - 7 miles with 5 of those at 160HR. This was quite windy and was reflected in slightly slower paces. It also took me awhile to get my heart rate up given a very early start.

Thursday - 5 miles ez

Friday - 6 miles Inc 6x1k @ an average of 6'39 mile pace off 60 seconds standing recovery. Started at 4'13 and progressed each effort, last one at 4'01. Very controlled and felt syrong

Saturday - 15 miles, the run was broken down into 7.5 miles @ 8'06 mile pace, 4.5 miles at 7'43 and 3 miles @ 7'29.

I took a lactate reading straight after and had 1.5 mmol. Tried to take another reading just to be sure but looked myself out of the car, thankfully it was only in the drive and we have a spare key.

Just finished cleaning the shed, so hopefully I can start some light strength and flexibility work.

Post edited by Wottle on

Week 3/12

Monday - 9 miles ez (14k), gorgeous day for it.

Tuesday - 9 miles ez, definite pep in my step.

Wednesday - 7 miles (11k) with 5 (8k) of those at 160HR. No issues getting the HR to correct zone this time, ran 36'17 over an undulating loop and definitely less fade according to power and effort pace.

Thursday - 5.5 miles (8k) mostly ez but on concrete. The run included 6x400m at my running partner's 5k pace, which is my perfect day marathon pace.

Friday - 6 miles (10k) at recovery effort. There's a bug in the house and that combined with yesterday's hard concrete, just had me feeling flat.

Saturday - 17 miles (28k) progressing the effort, the run was broken down into 6.8 miles @ 8'03 mile pace, 5.1 miles at 7'48 mostly uphill, 2.3 miles at 6'58 mostly downhill. I cut the progression early and went into a cool down, only because I heard the hamstrings giving out, they didn't appreciate the constant up and down of today's run.

Tummy still felt a little off but glad to have another solid week in the bank.

Week 4/12 of Valencia Marathon Training

For the last 5 weeks I've covered 250 miles (400k), quite pleased with that but definitely feeling it the last 10 days.

Monday - 8 miles ez (13k), gorgeous day for it.

Tuesday - 9.5 miles (16k) ez, enjoyable, listening to the Inside Running podcast.

Wednesday - 8 miles (13k) with 6 (10k) of those at 160HR. A bit lackluster, and a definite fade towards the last 2 to 3 miles.

Thursday - 5.5 miles (8.5k) ez but on concrete. The run included 2(400m, 600m, 200m) at my running partner's 5k pace, off 60 second standing recovery. Really enjoyed this.

Friday - 5 miles (8k) at recovery effort. Two crap Friday runs in a row, I think this is from a dead pair of saucony endorphin speed 3s, they've been binned.

20 minutes of S&C after, finally I've started.

Saturday - 15 miles (25k) The goal here was 4x2 miles off a 1k float. I had a very informative chat yesterday with Tergat about my training and he suggested this session in an effort to figure out current marathon pace. I was to start slower than last year's Valencia effort, which was 305 watts, so I went with 295.

I was supposed to progress it with each effort but I couldn't. 295 was all I could hit and I had to change the session midway, going with 2x2 mile & 2x1 mile.

I felt pretty shlt from the start, little bit humid and I had a poor sleep.

My wife was traveling late last night and had an awful experience with a taxi driver, so I couldn't sleep till I knew she'd reached her accommodation.

I ended up chafed to bits in my nether regions.

Time now for a step back week and hopefully let the body absorb the workload of last few weeks, just in time for the Half on October 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's awful, hope the mrs is OK.

Plenty of good work there despite feeling tired. Any idea on the marathon pace after all that?

Thanks Murph, she's woken up to a bruised leg. She was on a late flight to Faro and missed the last bus to the train station. It's a €10 fare, and the taxi drivers get pretty angry when you tell them the destination. The driver drove dangerously fast, slamming on brakes, cursing and shouting at her the whole drive and he hit her with the door when she initially got in.

She was in shock, so got no details, just rang me and cried.

I'm targeting 3'10 but I think that's too optimistic, I'm a million miles away from that but working well.

Today was a bad day to test paces as I just had an off day. The only real feedback I have are the heart rate efforts at 160hr, they're fractionally quicker than last cycle but I really do mean fractionally.

If my house depended on it, I'd say I'm in the exact same shape as last year, 3'18.

8 minutes to find over next 8 weeks is an awful lot.

I'm really hoping for a good half in two weeks time and that'll be the true gauge.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that is awful. Had a drunk taxi driver in Lisbon once myself, sounds like they could do with a regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

God that is really awful, hope she is okay now although I know I'd be fairly shaken for a long time after something like that.

Week 5/12 of Valencia Marathon Training

Thankfully feeling much better this week.

Monday - 8 miles ez (13k)

Tuesday - 9.5 miles (15k) ez with 4x20 second strides at the end. Legs feeling about 7/10.

Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 6 miles (10k) of those at 155 to 160 HR. No fade in power or effort pace. The faster miles were on a favourable course, practicing turnover and stride length.

Thursday - 5.5 miles (8.5k) ez. The run included 4(600m) + 1x400m at my running partner's 5k pace, off 60 second standing recovery. Really enjoyed this, more bounce in the legs and the pace is close to PMP.

Friday - AM - 6.66 miles (10k) at recovery effort. The devil's numbers on Friday 13th. Heart rate nice and low, Marlay park all to myself in the lashing rain.

PM - 7 miles (11k) on the treadmill conducting a lactate test. Happy with the numbers, confirms I'm a little ahead of last year's Valencia fitness. Ran the test in the Rebellion pro.

I've now decided on my shoes for next week's half, the adizero pro 2. They've served me well in the past and I think I get a little more out of them compared to the rebellion.

Week 6/12 of Valencia Marathon Training

Monday - 10 miles ez (16k) very enjoyable run.

Tuesday - 10 miles (16k) with 1*2 mile and 2*1 mile at 160HR. I didn't want to go too crazy with a session, giving the upcoming race, so shortened the Tempo efforts. We have a bug in the house and I felt slightly off but could have been in my head.

Wednesday - Rest day and it felt strange not to run, fighting the urge all day.

Thursday - 6 miles (10k). Wore my race day shoes, Adidas adizero pro 2. Wanted to put some snap in the legs, Fartlek to start, then a little bit of tempo before finishing with 2*25 second strides.

Friday - 5 miles (8k) at recovery effort. Heart rate was super low.

Travel day and just a disaster between the rain, M50 and a 2 hour 20 minute flight delay. Got to my apartment at close to 1am Spanish time.

Saturday - 5 miles (8k) ez with 4*20 second strides. I ran this in Turia park in the centre of Valencia, an incredible amenity and it was bursting with life, truly a good vibe run.

Excited for tomorrow's half, I know I'm in ok/ decent shape and a good result is possible. But who knows, I seem to have a 50:50 ratio for good - bad performances.

Conditions look to be perfect, barely a hint of a breeze, due point of 6° and plenty of cloud coverage.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck today lad , 🤞

Sunday (Race Day) - Conditions were perfect, barely a hint of a breeze, dew point of 6°C and plenty of cloud coverage.

However I had a very disappointing run. I just wasn't feeling it, had no change of gear and it felt like a struggle from the off. I was moody and irritated by the congested start, it took me till the 5th mile (7k) when I could find a stride and some clear road.

I raced by lap heart rate, it would be the only data field on my watch display, every mile split would be a surprise. I've done this a couple of times before with success but today my pace did not line up with my goal pace.

I knew there would be no personal best today but at least I could make it a solid effort and there was never any thoughts of quitting. Finishing time was 1:36:23.

Although I feel the race was not a true reflection of my current fitness, it has told me that breaking 3:10 is a little beyond me for now. I'm downgrading my marathon goal to 3:15 minutes, this would still represent a 3 minute personal best if I can pull it off.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Still a solid effort when u were not feeling it. That should stand to you! Two quick questions .. do you think you will stick with the same watch face for the marathon? You may have mentioned previously,but Is the half run on similar route to the marathon in Valencia?

Cheers, I was trying not to be full of excuses but definitely wasn't 100%.

I ran with lap heart rate last year in Valencia full and Berlin half this year, both races ended up with negative splits, I felt strong and although the mile splits were a surprise, I kind of knew before the race what they would be. I feel I've a good understanding of my heart rate and will most likely do same again for the full.

Week 7/12 of Valencia Marathon Training

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday - 10 miles ez (16k) with RCSI crew, a very therapeutic run for me.

Wednesday - 7 miles ez (11k) was hoping to do 10 miles but needed the toilet badly.

Thursday - 10 miles ez (16k) with a couple of 400 meter pick ups.

Friday - 5 miles ez (8k) up to Bohernabreena for a bit of quietness.

Saturday - 20 miles ez (32k) legs were still a little heavy from the race but overall fine.

I ended up running the worst route ever, hated it and all because I thought there was a potential chance I might be kidnapped. It was 5:30 in the morning and a van with its side door open sped ahead of me on the back of Whitechurch road, probably just the milkman but spidey senses were on and I ended up taking a different turn which led to loads of other different turns.

An ok week, just kept the ship sailing straight.

Week 8/12 of Valencia Marathon Training

Towards the end of last week I've come to the conclusion that I'm bordering on overtraining. Some of the signs - feeling a little unmotivated, letting my good nutrition practices fall by the wayside and low heart rate numbers on easy runs that don't equate to an easy perceived effort.

Hopefully having an awareness of all this will help me make better decisions and I can turn this ship around.

Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some peace and quiet.

Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) ez, slight calf niggle, most likely caused by the vaporflies for last week's long run.

224 miles - 360k for October.

Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half 10 days ago. Wasn't in the humour for it, so just started with getting first effort done, then the next, then actually enjoyed it by the end.

Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with calf and they felt good, now 300 miles (500k) on them and they still feel foamy, however they stink and are becoming quite squeaky.

Thursday - 9 miles mostly ez (15k) with a few strides in the middle.

Friday - 6 miles ez (10k) recovery effort, felt great in the second half.

Saturday - Planned for 20 miles (32k). Warm up was to be 13 miles (21k) then into 5 miles (8k) at marathon effort, finishing with 2 mile of a cool down.

What actually happened was I ran over something sharp and hard on my early morning run at about mile 8 (13k) , no idea what. I let out a Yelp but continued on.

It was quite sore and I was moaning internally, but the run to that point wasn't going well and I thought, maybe I was looking for an excuse to stop so shouted at myself "quit or shut the fcuk up".

I then ran through a flooded path and thought my sock had curled up, so stopped to fix it a couple of miles later and that's when I realised the damage.

My wife can't drive in the dark, I was soaking wet and miles from home, had to ring my Mam to come get me at 7am. It continued to bleed for the next 45 minutes.

When home, my wife suggested I get a tetanus shot, so headed to Columcilles in Loughlinstown. I was all done within the hour (highly recommend it for these kind of injuries over your typical A&E).

Ended up with a single stitch and have to go back on Tuesday, apparently it's a bad spot for infection. Can't walk and it's absolutely throbbing.

No idea what this means for Valencia right now with just 4 weeks to go.

If I'm looking for some kind of positive, maybe the rest will serve me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Jesus 😮 hopefully it heals quickly. Did they have any idea in the hospital what you might have run over?

They hadn't a clue. I thought it felt solid, maybe a sharp rock but my wife reckons the base of a thick glass bottle. It had to pierce 30mm of foam and two pairs of socks and it still went deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Man that's bad luck. Fingers crossed on the recovery.

• Advertisement

A little update

I've pulled the plug on Valencia, I tried my best to maintain fitness with a bit of cycling but at this stage I feel I've just missed too much at a crucial time.

I thought I'd be more disappointed than I am, in fact I'm experiencing relief. I was already downgrading my finishing time and questioning the quality of the work I'd done.

The money I would have spent on the hotel has now gone on a flywheel smart trainer. I guess that's the big positive to come from this.

I've never really enjoyed cycling, found it boring. This time round though I've had some sound advice from cyclists and it's made all the difference. I'll certainly be using it as part of my training going forward.

On Friday evening I tested the toe with 3k ez in a stiff pair of shoes. This gave me the confidence to give parkrun a go.

Circumstances meant that Father Collins was the best option and what a beautiful park it is, met Murph and one of his buddies beforehand. I was unsure if it was him at first, he appears to be looking younger.

I gave it a good solid hard effort, puked on the line and although I got slower with every kilometer, I'm quite pleased with the 20'49. Not too bad after two weeks of no running.

Target for the end of the year is to go sub 20.

Followed up the 20'49 at Father Collins parkrun with 20'07 at Marlay parkrun.

Delighted with this and hopefully sub 20 on December 23rd.

The cycling is here to stay, definitely seeing the positives.

The cold weather in Dublin over the weekend meant I availed of my flights to Valencia.

Brought my shoes with the main intention

of going to halfway before dnf'ing.

I ran by lap heart rate, so again every mile split would be a surprise.

With the compact start, I guessed mile 1 was around 9 minute miling but nope, beeped at 7'46, then 7'45 followed with a 7'37.

Aerobically this felt incredibly easy, my legs on the other hand never really felt fresh and the hip flexors started to give out at the 10k mark. But the miles continued to beep between 7'25 and 7'40.

Went through halfway at 1:40:20, not too far off last year's split. Stupid thoughts now entered my head, same again would be a fairly solid 3:20:40, so I continued on.

The splits continued all the way to mile 20 but by now, it wasn't just the hop flexor screaming, my quads were falling apart.

I purposely slowed on mile 21;to give them some relief but it wasn't helping.

I ran all the way to mile 22.4 and without thinking, I just stopped and walked, a minute only, I decided this was the plan forward, run a mile, walk a minute. Still struggled but it worked and the mile splits weren't too shabby 8'20 to 9'15.

I was fairly certain this would still give me a sub 3'30 so I attempted to video call my daughters, last year my brain didn't work and tech got the better of me, this year it was the best half mile of any marathon ever, I couldn't hear them but they could hear me but more importantly I could see them, smiling and laughing at me, amazing experience.

Finish time 3:29:02.

This marathon does not disappoint, my favourite by far. If the toe/nail thing didn't happen, I'm now fairly certain I would have PB'd. Aerobically I felt incredible, my fueling was spot on (yes I brought it, just incase I continued passed halfway). It was just a lack of running over the last 4/5 weeks, my legs didn't have the required conditioning for pounding 37,000 steps.

For now, recover and head to Rotterdam with a new confidence

Eh, what?

Yep :-) not my best idea. I reckon it took me about six weeks to feel normal again, resting heart rate stayed high and just a general fatigue.

Things are going better now averaging 50 miles (80k) per week. Getting closer to sub 20 with a 20:06 on a very windy day at Marlay parkrun.

Raced the Trim 10 miler in 70:47. Again very windy but some poor self control for the first four miles scuppered all chances of a sub 70. Happy with the overall effort though.

Today marks 54 days in a row of no sweets, crisps, ice cream, biscuits, fizzy drinks, basically all the bad stuff I'm addicted to.

I'm eating a lot more throughout the day and feel I'm getting better at prefueling and post recovery.

I'm also on 42 days in a row of doing some kind of strength work, which is definitely not my favourite thing to do but its growing on me.

This is all part of my own little 500 day project, aiming to run my best marathon in April 2025. Along the way I have Rotterdam this April, 10 weeks out and then back to Valencia in December.

For the upcoming Rotterdam marathon I'm going to keep things simple and just stretch the long run out. I'm not overly concerned about the finish time and will continue to race parkruns.

The only niggle I have, is the heel pain, which is now celebrating 2 full years as I picked it up at the Seville Marathon 2022. I've become much better at managing it though and don't see it holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

A 20 minute parkrun and a 70 minute 10 mile, your in great shape. Bodes well for the next few months

Feb 5th to 11th

47 miles including a session on the Marlay parkrun hill at 5k effort, lactate testing and a 15 mile long run.

Feb 12th to 18th

A mental week that started with tooth pain, prescribed antibiotics and ponston on Monday.

Root canal Wednesday morning, violently sick that same night, puking.

Felt better on Friday, so thankfully was able to head over to Amsterdam with my middle daughter. Great weekend away which included a 19'35 parkrun and an 18 miler in the rain on Sunday.

49 miles for the week. Fitness is building nicely. Rotterdam marathon in less than 8 weeks time.

Feb 19th to 25th

A little over 50 miles/80k over six runs.

Mostly easy apart from two sessions.

Wednesday included a 1k tempo at half marathon pace, just to warm up and stretch the legs out before 5*10 second max hill sprints off a 2 minute recovery.

Followed this up with 4*450 meter efforts on the Marlay parkrun hill at 5k effort, jog back down recovery.

Really happy with the days work. Felt fine on Thursday but fatigue had set I for Friday's easy run, as a result I took Saturday off. HRV also on the low side.

Sunday's long run was 18 miles/29k with 2*4k 1k alternating every k, concentrating on power numbers from most recent lactate test.

I was hoping for 3 sets but called it after 2, just working too hard and don't want to impact next week.

Paces came in at 7'20 and 7'00 pace for the reps.

Very pleased with the week, I know fitness is improving. Might reconsider the Wednesday session layout as it definitely contributed to my fatigue.

Feb 26th to March 3rd

Monday 6 miles easy, very tired legs

Tuesday Root canal part two, zero running.

Wednesday 4 miles easy, not in the humour, mouth, jaw and ear, all a little unsettled.

Thursday 10 miles mostly easy.

Friday early start, 6 miles in light snow, tooth still uncomfortable.

Saturday 7 miles in sunny Portugal, on trails and along the sea, taking advantage of low tide. 30 second pick ups every kilometer.

Sunday 15 miles (should have been 20), legs just dead but of course I insisted on giving the session a go, 1 mile on/off. Finally got some sense and pulled the plug after 4 reps. Few more labouring miles before deciding to head home, really don't want to ruin next week's training.

It got quite warm and I actually lost 2kg on this run, despite bringing gels and 500mls of liquid.

Total 48 miles/77k

With only 6 weeks to Rotterdam, I really need to get some quality in but overall still happy as I've kept the ship sailing straight, despite tummy bug and two root canals.

March 4th to 10th

Had a decent week, albeit busy. I was hosting a training camp in East Algarve for the week.

Lots of my running was super easy pace but I did get some quality in.

One run was 8*80 meter hill sprints, not quite max, concentrating on form.

Had a really good Fartlek session, it was short enough but showed me I can still run a little quick, The efforts were mostly comprised of alternating 20 secs at mile effort with 1 minute efforts at 5k pace, maybe slightly optimistic. Good fun though.

Lots of elites run here and the cycle tracks are all marked with distance (most likely a coach and spray can).

A particular section had 100 meters, so I ran 5 reps concentrating on knee drive, think it worked well, slow walk back recovery.

Last day of camp was a solo 20 miles, beautiful weather and it got warm. I really felt the last 5 miles as it was a bit of a jump, previous long run was 15. It was made a little more difficult by wearing tracksuit bottoms and long sleeves, I couldn't bare the thought of being bitten one more time.

61 miles for the week, just shy of a 100k.

• Advertisement

March 11th to March 18th (Monday)

Monday - 4 miles super ez

Tuesday - 6*5 minutes at 6'45 pace (10 mile Race Pace) off 90 seconds jog. Legs still stiff from Sunday's long run but I coped well.

Wednesday - always a busy day and took an unscheduled rest day.

Thursday - 9.5 miles easy.

Friday - 9.5 miles easy and still feeling tired. Re-listened to a Craig Mottram interview and he mentioned that some of his best runs came from forced rest (niggles) and as a consequence had him well rested, so that was all I needed to hear to take Saturday off.

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Tallaght 5k, I wanted to give this a proper lash and was giddy all morning for it. Met @Lazare beforehand, always nice to see a familiar face, hopefully he's on the mend. Then a quick chat with @Lambay island who seemed up for it, zero negativity or race nerves, just excitement, exactly the positivity you want before a big effort.

I'd planned on sub 19'30 and banking a bit of time early, I don't do well on hills and I knew there was one around the 4k mark which would zap me.

1st k - 3'45 and feeling good.

3'41 - 3'41 still feeling good and thinking how great it would be to go sub 19 again, forever the optimist.

3'49 - Young Tallaght woman beside me was getting plenty of cheers and just towards the end of km 3 she got a few steps on me.

4'05 - sub 19 dream long forgotten, legs felt like led, mentally strong though and just kept going as the hill tried to dampen spirits.

3'55 - so looking forward to running on the track, this kept me ploughing away, couldn't do the maths and had no idea what time I was on for.

12 seconds extra, rallied for this but just fell short of catching the two Tallaght singlets in front.

19'30 chip time, 100% effort, hit some heart rate numbers (chest strap) that I haven't seen in a while. Looking forward to pursuing faster 5k times over next few months.

Monday - 20 mile long run, legs wrecked from the start, made the route up as I went. Glad when it was over, couch bound for the day.

Advertisement