Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Are they the adios pro or adizero pro? Curious to know why you don't like them? I have the adios pro and I still havent warmed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Adizero pro, I think. Supposedly a 10mm drop but they feel like an old school racing flat with minimal drop. Bit firm and too tight in the toe box.

Only 60 miles on them but don't think I'll bother with them anymore.

I actually think me and Adidas just don't get on.

March 8th (Tue) - 9 miles, checking out the track in the middle of the run, cracking day.

March 9th (Wed) - 3 miles super easy in the morning and just shy of 6 in the evening checking out trails.

March 10th (Thu) - 4 miles super easy in the morning. 5k Time Trial in the evening.

Super excited for this, long time since I time trialed over 12.5 laps, had the track completely to myself, clear blue skies and approx 17/18° with a slight breeze on the home straight.

I had checked earlier in the day what my splits needed to be per lap, 96 secs. However I somehow confused it with 98 secs. I felt super comfortable, first lap in 92 and then I just rattled off 97s. I thought I was 10 seconds up and with 200m to go, I ran a 39 thinking this would cement a 19'4 STH. When I paused the watch on the finish line and it read 20'03, I was baffled. Walked over to my bag and plugged the 20 mins into the calculator and I realised my mistake. Frustrating but I just laughed, I was strong and as comfortable as you can be during a 5k, so next time.

March 11th (Fri) - first rainy day of the camp, still warm, 9 miles in total.

March 12th (Sat) - Close to 17 miles but broken into two parts. Just shy of 11 with the first group. Beautiful route that started at sunrise. There was 4 of us, all quicker than me but I held my own and was happy with the stats, I did wear the Vaporflies just incase I struggled to keep up. Pace 7'55, AGR 76%.

Followed this up immediately with a 6 miler with the 2nd group, another beautiful route down to the river Guadiana and then back to the hotel via the trails.

March 13th (Sun) - Rest. My train was at 8:40am, left gear out to run but decided against it.

The camp went really well, a number of sessions, double day runs, 5able tennis, sea dips and eating out but my highlight was the 5k on the track, although I made a mess of it, I felt strongly and enjoyed it immensely.

60 miles for the week plus 40 miles of cycling.

March 14th (Mon) - Back home, rain jacket on for the AM run. Peculiar run, sluggish at times, flying at other, strange one. 5 miles, pace 8'16, AHR 74%

3.5 miles in the PM, Pace 10'55, AHR 66%. 3X80m strides at the end.

Contemplating Portlaoise 5k on the Thursday or Marlay Parkrun on the Saturday. The hour drive for the former putting me off.

Designed a new racing singlet via a German website, should arrive tomorrow.

Ooh nice...what's the site?

• Advertisement

Like the site, I'll let you know the quality when it arrives. Expensive for one but if you want STH to represent race day it might be worth it.

I'm trialling this for a group, the unit price goes down with the more units you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Let me know too how you get on with it. My tri club don't do a running singlet and I get a bit warm in the T-shirt so would get one made up if these ones are any good

Inverse Ireland are worth checking out too, they team up with a Spanish company 42k. I got 60 light Tees for a group recently and Enda was brill, good price too and they also have singlets.

I just wanted to put my own stamp and have a bit more choice. I'll keep you posted.

Singlet arrived today, love it, great fit and light. I'll probably go black shorts as I look a little like a wannabe super hero 😅

March 15th (Tue) - 5 miles easy in the morning, pace 8'42, AHR 72% MHR.

The evening was a repeat of Monday evening with the group.

March 16th (Wed) - little shy of 6 miles with a 2 mile hard tempo around Marlay perimeter. Starting at Marlay House car park and going anti clockwise, the hilly side 6'41, feeling strong and at the top of the opening hill on Marlay parkrun, I kept the effort going and finished with a 5'53 mile second mile.

First outing for the original vaporflies and first impressions, they're a way better fit than the V2 and about 40 grams lighter.

Plan is Marlay parkrun on Saturday, used a diesel calculator I found online and apparently a round-trip to Portlaoise will cost €40, can't be having that when Marlay is on my doorstep.

Had my 6 month bloods done and I've improved my cholesterol markers, my thyroid is where it should be but my iron is low.

You do look like a marvel character alright !! 😂😂 (In a good way of course!)

How is it size wise? I went only their website and looks like I can make a fair stab at designing something similar enough to my club design and add a logo and all

• Advertisement

Lots of design options for sure, I like the fit. They use a number system, I went with size 5, I'm 175cm and 73kg if that's any help. I found the size guide on the site to be very good and accurate.

Great thanks, just checked it out there and I'll probably go size 6, 183 and 81Kg's so looks about right 👍️

Blue shorts all the way...class design. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

That’s an interesting comment “40€ round trip when Marley is at the doorstep”.

i wonder how this will impact races going forward (at until everyone has switched to E-cars). Perhaps runners will team up and travel in rental busses or does it mean the “quality” of some races will decline as some/plenty of fast runners won’t travel but others will improve as those runners who don’t travel still want to race and stay closer to home?!

i even go as far as saying “it is a chance for some races to get a bigger/faster field and for those faster races it will not have any negative impact as lost spaces will be filled by local runners now who otherwise would have stayed away as too many fast runners”.

what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Car pooling definitely should become more popular. It used to be a thing anyway when people had less money. Why not again? Anyway hopefully people will do this to minimize the environmental cost as well as financial. EVs certainly are not the answer, although they are part of the answer. Especially if pooled!

PS just catching up on your post marathon stuff. Decent 5k - as someone with similar times as yourself at a good few distances, I’m surprised you didn’t have 96 seconds drilled in to you as 5k pace - it’s been my 400m default target for 5k pace sessions for some time. However having made similar pacing errors before, I know how it feels. It’s amazing how in the buildup to an important race/session/TT it can sometimes slip through the cracks.

One thing stands out though - that 17 + 6 mile day, with the 17 at a pretty challenging pace. This strikes me as a poor choice, what, only about three weeks post marathon? Not the kind of running that will serve you in the long run, performance wise.

I think you could knock big bits off your PBs still, with a more rigorous approach.

Yeah, I'm with Murph, car pooling the way forward. There's 3 of us doing so for Dunboyne next week.

Such a rookie mistake with the pacing, stupid really.

It wasn't 17 + 6. I think I poorly worded it above. It was 11+6. Still though your point does hold up. I was running a camp in Portugal and was trying to run with two separate groups. First group (stronger) started at 6:45am and the second group was due out at 8:15am, so I knew I had to average 8'00 minute miles to be back in time. The 6 miler was more a tourist/sightseeing run, stopped for lots of pics.

March 16th (Wed) - Group run in the evening. 4 miles in total, Pace 10'42.

March 17th (Thu) - Well needed rest day.

March 18th (Fri) - Out early on my own for 5 miles easy, pace 8'22, AHR 74%. Little sluggish but I normally am after a rest day. I also need to lower the HR for these easier runs.

March 19th (Sat) - Marlay Parkrun sub 20 attempt. I'd a couple of runners I coach in the field. One was doing homework, trying to work on her early fractions in 5k. I'd given her (A) a 6'15 first mile target. The other guy (B) would be aiming for low 19s, so probably won't see him at all.

Strong start and I'm on the shoulder of runner A, I can see she nailed her first mile split and she pulled me along through 2 Kms in 7'45 (3'58 & 3'47) before she pushed on. I was working hard and I did not have her change in gears (her PB is 17'52).

The 3rd l is lovely and flat, I can feel that I'm working and in control. I can also see that runner A has gone by runner B and he seems to be coming back to me 11'39 (3'54).

I hate the 4th km, it's a long drag up through the forest. I normally down tools here and just take note of who goes by me so as to try get them back on the last km but I got into a duel here and he dragged me through the forest in my fastest ever split for that section 15'51 (4'12).

I love the last km and I knew I was up by at least 10 secs. The guy who I was battling folded and I now had runner B in my sights but I know he's a quick closer.

I was pushing and really working hard but rather than getting negative in my thoughts, I was excited and positive, can I get him. With about 600m to go, another guy I coach who was out on his long run shouted "Go on Dave" and with that Runner B took off, he had heard the shout and responded, I had nothing left to offer in the form of changing gears but I was maintaining my effort.

With the last turn and 150m to go, wind in my face, I drove with everything I had, 19'19 (3'28).

It's a parkrun PB, previous was 19'42 from Feb 2019, it's also quicker than my 19'25 from MSB 2009.

Obviously the Vaporflies help, so to be so much under 20 today is reassuring, in that it wasn't all just the shoes (but they are a big part).

Absolutely ecstatic walking down the tunnel. The guys I coach were 9th & 10th and I was 11th.

On a bit of a runner high since, I wore my new singlet, which I just love.

Post edited by Wottle on

Congrats, that’s a super 5k. 👏👏

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff...More important, did you wear the blue shorts?

No, my wife thought the black worked better, maybe blue for big races.

March 20th (Sun) - 13 miles easy. Dropped my mum to the airport at 6:30am and the sunrise was beautiful, so decided to head up to Bohernabreena and enjoy some scenery. Listened to the second part of the Josh Kerr interview on the"inside running podcast" really enjoyed it and well worth a listen.

Pace 8'31, AHR 74%. Ran in my new NB 1080, I had gone for the 880 but turned out they were out of stock. Nice and wide in the toe box, first impressions were good.

March 21st (Mon) - Rest, possibly overdid it Sunday after a hard 5k, 10 miles on the flat probably would have been better.

March 22nd (Tue) - 6 miles at 8'50 pace, AHR 72%. Beautiful sunrise to start the day, after months of training in the dark, this was just amazing.

March 23rd (Wed) - running with a couple of different groups. 3 miles easy to start, followed by a mile walk/run with 10x100m strides concentrating on form.

Followed this with 3x1k around the concert field off 60 secs, aiming for 5k pace but a little quick on the first 3'50. Fast first rep may have stole the joy out of the next two 3'53 & 3'54.

Racing Dunboyne 10k on Sunday, its the one distance I've never got right, so hoping to change that.

The weight loss had stalled a little post marathon but now seems to be moving again. Currently 71.9kg from 83kg mid December. Need to start some core work for both toning and aid my running, my back definitely fatigues on fast efforts.

March 24th (Thu) - 6 miles at 8'23 pace, AHR 71% MHR.

March 25th (Fri) - 5 miles at 8'52 pace, AHR 71% MHR. Very sore and sluggish on this, only myself to blame. Got carried away on Thursday's after-school athletics, playing bench ball and dodgeball with the kids. My hamstrings and abs in particular were so tender.

March 26th (Sat) - Shanganagh Parkrun. I decided against Dunboyne as it wasn't quite exciting me or at least, not as much as backing up last week's result.

I decided against Marlay as I feel I know how to manage the course and Shanganagh has defeated me on numerous occasions.

I stood waiting at what I thought was the start area while the RD was mentioning a few celebrations. Then they started a 3, 2, 1 countdown. I was in the wrong position, there was a new start on the grass and I was now close to the back.

I worked way harder than I wanted or should have for the first minute or so, trying to catch the group I should be running with 3'47.

Found myself leading a small group, I was in 6th. Conditions were perfect, clear blue skies and the right amount of warm. I was definitely working harder than last week at the same time 3'51 & 3'53

Heading out on the 4th KM and there's only one runner left following me, his breathing was heavy and I couldn't really pick the pace up but he kept me honest and maintaining effort. Soon after he was gone though and I was left in no-mans land 3'55.

With 600m to go I can hear new footsteps and he goes by me, I stick to him, thinking I'll out kick him. He looked behind with 200m to go and he found another gear, I responded with a 4'52 mile pace last 200m but it wasn't enough and he beat me well 3'50

19'16 for a new parkrun PB, 6'12 pace, AHR 93% of MHR, so definitely an honest effort and the singlet is 2 for 2.

Great to catch-up with A.J from these parts of yester-year.

Shanganagh celebrating its 7th birthday and what a great little event with super volunteers. So lucky to have so many wonderful parkrun options within a 15 minute drive.

March 27th (Sun) - A little over 10 miles at 8'52 pace, AHR 71% of max. So tired in the morning, stayed up later than usual and then losing an hour with the clocks, left this run feeling more like a chore.

March 28th (Mon) - Rest

March 29th (Tue) - Working in Town for the first time since Feb 2020. Delighted to be back and catching up with folks, glorious day. Just over 8 miles in total.

Going to have to start planning my training week a little better, now that I'm fully back in work, I've way less wiggle room. Plan is 8 to 10 weeks of trying to get my 5k time down, I'd love to dip under 19.

I've had a little look at potential races but the fast ones seem to be evening races and my circadian rhythm follows that of an early bird. So on the look out for STH in May and June that have a 10 to 11am start and are preferably close to Dublin. If anyone knows of any, let me know, cheers.

March 30th (Wed) - Only window to run was a 5:40am start. 4 mile warm up, followed by 6x200m on hills with a jog back down recovery. Enjoyed these, just trying to give myself a different stimulus for improving over 5k. Followed by 1 mile at 10k effort just concentrating on good form. A little over 7.5 miles.

March 31st (Thu) - A little over 5 miles at 8'44 mile pace at 71% MHR.

Apr 1st (Fri) - Can't believe it's April already. Thought the paths might be icy so didn't chance an early start. Instead I went out to UCD at lunchtime and got 5 miles in with 3x120m strides. Then another 4k with a bit of company exploring.

Giving Marlay Parkrun another shot in the morning but not looking forward to the cold.

Post edited by Wottle on

April 2nd (Sat) - Marlay Parkrun, sub 19 attempt.

With the cold and damp weather predicted, my wardrobe was a bit of concern. Went with a long sleeve underarmour and Tee rather than my now lucky singlet.

Met a couple of guys at Marlay House carpark at 9am for a light warm up. I like to run real easy and I think we were jogging 11 min mile pace. I followed this up with 6x100m strides with walk back recovery.

Nice and warm now, I took off leggings, hat, gloves and the underarmour. I felt so light and bouncy.

I see the first 20 secs of a race as free energy, so I got out hard which got a comment from a guy who is normally battling for 1st place, I told him not to worry as the brakes were about to be applied. I soon went from 2nd place to about 5th. Then we have a 400 meter climb and by the time we're at the top, I'm in approximately 13th - 3'49.

Going through the first km about 5 seconds quicker than planned but feeling good. I soon had a question to answer. There was a group of 5 who I know from previous runs and are all quicker than me, one is 17'50 but I felt the pace was a little slow, so I overtook them. This did two things, it made me not want to look like a fool and have them go back by me and secondly, start to think sub 19 is definitely on - 3'45.

I think I'm now in about 8th position and on the concert field and there's a tall guy in the local gaa team shorts. I work hard to catch him and pass him just before the 3rd I. I also get a nice shout of encouragement from a couple of Brother Pearse runners - 3'51

The 4th km is always my slowest but I'm feeling strong and like two weeks ago, get into a battle. I reckon we're 6th and 7th but halfway up the forest and he lets up, I decide to put some distance between us, just incase he's saving himself for the fast last km - 4'06

I love the last Km but I've no real change of gear, it's just time to grind and hang on. I've a runner in my sights but can't quite get to him, I've no more to offer, but surprisingly it turns out to be a solid effort - 3'20.

The 4th and 5th km are always a little skewed in Marlay with the forest, so I can probably subtract a few secs from 4th and add it to 5th km.

18'50 for 6th place. I can't believe it and I'm high as a kite. My two daughters were volunteering and on finish tokens. I loved that I could share this moment with them.

A few things that I think have contributed of late to my improvement:

1. Consistency and staying injury free.

2. Diet, 11kg down since mid December and still eating super clean

3. The shoes, I love the original vaporflies, so much fun running with them.

4. Mental attitude, I'm up for the challenge, more glass half full and backing myself.

5. Keeping easy runs proper easy, averaging around 71/72% of max heart rate.

6. Pre race rituals, listen to Sing street - Go Now, the song has struck a chord over last few months. I tried coffee 45 minutes before racing today, I hate coffee but saw it on the Ingebrigsten YouTube series. I also take two gels on the warm up as I can't eat breakfast before a race. Maybe a little unconventional but it works for me.

7. Iron intake, had my bloods done and iron was low, so I've been taking a supplement every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Consistency and confidence are two of the biggest attributes for gains, you have both right now. Sub 19 and having some loved ones around to enjoy it is as good as it get I'd say 👌

Enjoy your day

April 3rd (Sunday) - 10 miles with the group. Haven't met up with them in some time, so really enjoyed the catch up. 8'28 pace, AHR 73%. The run probably wasn't as easy as I'd like after the parkrun effort.

Week 14 of 2022

April 4th (Monday) - Was going to take a day off but a window appeared. 5 miles at 8'49 pace, AHR 73%. Quite sluggish and probably should have kept it a rest day.

April 5th (Tuesday) - Combining a run and work. 9 miles at 8'52 pace.

April 6th (Wednesday) - 6x40 second fast efforts with walk back recovery. Followed this up with a 2 mile tempo at 6'30 pace. About 7.5 miles for the whole run.

April 7th (Thursday) - Another run/work combo but this time in my new fuelcell Rebel elite, courtesy of @Swashbuckler friend. These are going to be my new easy run shoe, I love the softness of them. 8.5 miles at 9'00 mile pace.

April 8th (Friday) - 5.5 miles at 8'26 pace, AHR 70%. Bang on the money for proper easy.

Bushy Parkrun in the morning as my daughter has her Irish oral at around the same time and she goes to school beside the park. Definitely not my favourite parkrun route but still looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Congrats on that sub-19. Terrific stuff.

Advertisement