Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

6 miles which included 3x 1 mile at 10k pace with 800m jog between efforts.
    The miles came out at
    6:57
    6:49
    6:42
    HR was getting high, this might sound like a bad thing but it's not, it's actually up to where it should be. Throughout the streak I've found it hard to get my HR up.
    Enjoyed the session and felt I could have done a few more at that pace.
    Not sure of the feedback from such a session, think I should have had a few more races, in particular a 10k.

April
    Berlin half 1:43 sth, breezy and very warm, going well till 10k but knew it wasn't sustainable.

May
    Terenure 5 miler, 35:3?, enjoyed this but had 3 weeks off after the half and streak, so couldn't hold my effort.

June
    Started 5k work for a sub 20 attempt at the night of PBs.
    Wednesday was 2x1k at 3:53 pace + 2x500m at 3:40 pace. Felt good to run a bit quick.

This morning was Marlay Parkrun, very happy with my effort 20:48, consistent enough apart from the 4th kilometer,m gets me everytime.
    Thanks for the shout Ray

Wottle wrote: »
    June
    Started 5k work for a sub 20 attempt at the night of PBs.
    Wednesday was 2x1k at 3:53 pace + 2x500m at 3:40 pace. Felt good to run a bit quick.

Mon - 13 miles easy
    Tue - 4.5 easy
    Wed - 5 miles with week 2 of 5k work.

3x1k (average 3:49) + 2x500m (3:40 pace)
    Felt strong throughout, 2 minutes walking up and down to recover.

Took Friday off.

Back to Marlay Parkrun today, got out st 7:30am for a couple of miles first, no way my body works st 9:30 If I don't.

Thought I had a plan to better last weeks 20:48, out hard for the first 3k and hang on.
    The first K in Marlay is very hilly but still 4:02, the 2nd K is downhill 3:59. This meant I was 20 sth seconds up but 3rd K came in same as last week, as did the 4th but gained a couple more secs on the final K, lacked a finish today.
    20:25.9 but Marlay team have me at 20:23.

Happy that the heart rate average is increasing, will give it a couple of weeks before going again, volunteering next week instead.

Sunday - 10.8 miles, started at recovery pace, then into easy, where I stayed.

Monday - Run with work 6 miles with 4 at progression but easy enough side of things.

Pm will be an hour of S&C in a class followed by 5 aside

• Advertisement

Football took a lot out of me, legs still tired today.

Tuesday
    Just under 5 miles easy

Wed
    5 miles easy at lunch time and then nearly 8 miles a couple of hours later.
    The latter included 4x1k + 2x500m
    We had to alter our 1k loops there was a car show going on in Marlay. Had two other runners for company, one quicker and one the same.
    1st rep was 3:42, too fast, blame the different course.
    2nd rep, 3:47, perfect
    3rd rep and my partner was feeling it, slowed down a little to help and hit 3:55
    4th rep, went out a little slower to help partner but at halfway she was in trouble and I kicked on 3:56

Very breezy and happy that O could do that on tired legs. We did 2x500m after on slight downhill, concentrating on turnover and form, plenty of recovery , approx 3:10 pace.

Thursday
    3 miles very easy, legs tired.

Friday
    7 miles with a 3 mile tempo. First tempo session in a long long time. Tempo parts were 7:07, 7:04, 6:58. Felt strong.

Saturday
    Day off

Sunday
    12 miles at a steady enough clip with good company.

I've been dealing with a knee issue since December. Doing S&C to try and sort it and taking rest days after sessions.

Monday
    Easy 5 with 5x100m strides

Tuesday
    Easy 5 around town

Wednesday
    Easy 4 at lunch followed by an 8 miler in the afternoon.
    The session was 5x1k at 5k pace off 2 min recovery.
    All in the ball park of 3:54/5, followed by 2x500m downhill at 3:25 a K pace, lots of recovery. Was tired starting but felt strong throughout.

Thur
    4.5 miles easy around Stephen's Green

Friday
    5k easy inc strides in the AM
    4K easy

Saturday
    2 mile pre parkrun warm up

Sunday
    10 miles which incl 3x1 mile at 6:45ish with a mile easy between. Concentrating on form and made the long run more interesting.

Never made the parkrun, was between st Anne's or Shanganagh when I heard beepbeep was pacing sub 20. But had a very busy Friday in work running twice and playing approx 2 hours of cops n robbers in a school I was finishing up in for the summer. Saturday's pre run warm up told me exactly how tired I was, listened to my body.
    183 miles for last 4 weeks, chuffed with that.

25th to 1st of July
    44 mile week which included 8x flying 30s, sub 30 parkrun pacing and a hilly 10 miler.

2nd to 8th of July
    Only 3 runs, knee was sore, booked in to see a consultant in 2 weeks. Also had a very active athletics camp.
    1 session of 3x800m off 1 minute but no energy and it was disappointing.
    1 parkrun down in Shanganagh where I wasn't really feeling it and talked myself into a sub 21 attempt rather than sub 20. Ran 20:49 for a course PB.

This week, knee a bit more manageable, lots of stretching beforehand.
    Headed to Shanganagh again for a 3k TT hosted by Bray Runners.
    My plan beforehand was to run 4 min kilometer pace but right from the start I found myself going for it, 3:46. Still ok on 2nd K but know I'm working 3:51. Thoughts of heading out on the 3rd lap were very negative and pace began to dip but then I'd respond and this continued till I knew finish was in sight, dug in and looks like a 3:50 last K. I collapsed on the line and restarted my watch by accident. Heard beepbeep say sth About my time but I couldn't function, finally got on my feet and saw 11:27 in the results.
    That'll make sub 20 borderline.
    Got to start trusting my body more and not my brain. Got to practice that more in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If it's any help I made a sub-20 same week as a 11:39 3k TT, so you're in business!

Murph_D wrote: »
    If it's any help I made a sub-20 same week as a 11:39 3k TT, so you're in business!

Thanks Murph, starting to feel positive about it.

Yesterday's run brought me over a 1000 miles, bit of exploring in bushy park with 4x200m at the end.

This week I took part in a research study in UCD.
    The positives vo2 of 53.3, my watch up to last week also said 53, now 51. My bone mineral density was very high. I can thank running for both of these.
    Negatives, blood glucose seemed high and was told to keep an eye, BMI was 25.3, so I'm on the overweight zone. I knew this anyway and my body fat % Was 27, which sounded high.
    I'm already addressing these, this is week 14 of no processed sugars(sweets, drinks, biscuits, ice cream, crisps) everything that's nice. Plan is to continue with that till Berlin half next year.

Day of PBs 5k
    Absolute disaster
    Felt great in the warm up and super confident in going sub 20, so much so I put tape over my watch and wrote 19:59 in permanent marker across it.
    Got a good start but knew I was working too hard after only a couple of laps. Probably 25 degrees and no shade. Got to 2k on time and I downed tools, wanted to quit and walk off the track but I couldn't, mental torture ensued.
    Club mate passed me with 3 laps to go, didn't care, until last lap when I thought at least try and get him, I went for it and was dealing him in but with 80m to go, he opened up his 6ft4 frame and that was me.
    Reflected while lying on the ground for about 10 mins, I had reasons for the poor run , that'll do, move on but then it dawned on me, Rocky kicked my add :-)

Final time 21:14 ouch

On a plus, the event was 5 stars would recommend to everyone. Super buzz and I stayed right till the end. Great job by the team.

Also nice to meet so many boardsies, I joined the forum 10 yrs ago and made a lot of good running friends, great to see it still being highly represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Rocky kicked my ass :-)
    Ur new log title :)

So so week, took Fri and Sat off, 41 miles.
    Have had a head cold since last Sunday, mostly easy running.
    This morning's run was 14 miles, was to have some effort but after one of the efforts my nose started bleeding and wouldn't stop, so tried to stay easy till home but my HR was hard to control.

Attended an introduction to the throws session in our club yesterday. We have a newly built javelin runway, shot putt circle and a hammer and discus cage.
    Really enjoyed the javelin, we're lucky enough to have the national record holder giving us some pointers. I threw a PB of 26.16.
    I was useless at both the shot and the discus though and so glad I didn't try the heavier shot, woke up this morning with a tender shoulder.

Seeing the consultant tomorrow with regards my knee, hopefully some answers.

Week starting 23rd of June
    42 miles for the week.
    Included 1x3 miles at a little under marathon AHR, came in at 7:35.
    Also a long run of 18 miles at 8:35 pace, felt great and in control for everything apart from last mile.

This week
    Just shy of 40 miles.
    Main run was 11.5 mile long run.
    Suffering with a toe infection and gave myself an option of 1x6 miles at marathon pace (based on HR data above) or 2x3miles.
    In the end, it was neither of above. Instead of running 7:35, I averaged 7:15s for first 3 miles, felt good but HR was higher than marathon effort, so jogged a mile and then next 2 were at 7:30 but damage had been done, another easy mile followed by MP mile.
    Lacked the discipline for today's workout and toe was throbbing, seemed to change my gait as a result and had a massive blister on the bottom of infected toe.

After a good solid 18 months of consistency, I ended up taking 2 full weeks off in August in an attempt to sort out a couple of niggles.
    My toe infection had to be lanced, did the trick.
    Had dry needling on my back, that's now sorted although I think gym and swimming contributed.
    My knee still irritates me, never enough to not run but just always there, still getting treatment.

In September I ran the Marlay parkrun to see where I'm at fitness wise 20:57, happy enough.

I had entered the Dublin half a while back and was 50:50 to do it, only committing to it that morning. Ran a very disciplined race 1:40:37, definitely more to come aerobically.

A week later I jumped in the Rathfarnham 5k but legs were still a bit tired and kilometers 3 and 4 cost me any chance of sub 20.
    Finished in 20:37.

Still need to get under sub 20 and feel it's close, maybe January 1st.
    Continuing to lose weight as I come to the end of week 27 of no sugar.

Next race is the Waterford half marathon and an attempt at 1:35.
    The last 2 Mondays has seen me include half effort tempos, based on HR.
    Week 1 - 30 mins at 7:37 pace
    Week 2 - 5 miles at 7:26 average bit of a fade in pace by sticking to HR but no doubt that'll improve.

Mileage for last 5 weeks is between 40 and 50 miles but some of it a bit too easy but can't be helped.

First half - 1:56
    Second half - 1:50
    Chip time - 3:46

Ok so next race turned out to be the Dublin City Marathon.
    I had only decided to do it in the last week, only told my wife Wednesday and only a couple of others knew I was doing it. I wanted to keep the option opened of walking off the course at mile 18, Bushy Park, closest spot to my house.

I was running with a guy from work who wanted to run 3:50 but he had a bit of a dose.
    The 8:45 miling felt easy, my heart rate really low. T on the other hand was finding it tough and the pace began to drop at Crumlin.
    I was hoping it was only a blip for him and said let's just get to Bushy. I'd a lot of support here and T was still labouring. I reckoned we were about 3 minutes behind the 3:50 pacers.

Decided not to drop out and instead catch the pacers, got them at mile 21 and went by them, started thinking maybe 3:45 was on. Only issue was my stupid right hamstring was threatening to pop, so I needed to relax. Felt I had more in the tank, but the fear of cramp was enough to stop me picking it up.

For the last 8.2 miles I overtook a lot and it felt amazing, 6 of the miles were under 8.
    I've never felt so good in a marathon and it was off NO marathon training. 2 long runs, an 18 miler in July and a 15 miler 2 weeks back, bizarre.
    Finished in low 3:46 with a 6 minute negative split, obviously the easy start allowed the quick finish but wondering now was a PB on?
    Who knows but it's making me ponder the next one.

T ended up with 3:56 which is fantastic giving how he was at bushy and Rachelj with a super 3:58. Loved my day out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I've never felt so good in a marathon and it was off NO marathon training. 2 long runs, an 18 miler in July and a 15 miler 2 weeks back, bizarre.

I'd argue it's the opposite of bizarre and say that it underlines just how important mid-week mileage is in the marathon. I remember Singer doing something similar last year and running really well after running on a whim through just good weekly volume and consistency. Have you ever had a stretch of consistency at the the level of volume you've had over the last 22 months?

All that aside, with another block of training and dedicated marathon training, I think you would blow the doors off that performance if you choose to go that way.

Great going and really good to see you back at the level where your eyes on PB's again. It wasn't too long ago that you were lamenting that you might never be able again over on the fitness forum so you've came a long but lots more to come I think;)

Thanks El C and no I haven't had anything like my most recent period of consistency.
    Definitely standing to me for sure.

I still can't believe I felt that good, excited for Waterford half and going down the night before, just need to manage post marathon recovery.

• Advertisement

Week 1 after the marathon 22 miles, week 2 was 36 miles. All the miles were easy.

Yesterday attempted my first session since DCM, 5 miles at half marathon pace, it was already tough on the 2nd mile, so called it after 3. Pace was on key 7:27s but HR too high as is resting HR, obviously still not fully recovered.

Today, 7 miles easy around Stephen's Green.

Plan is to get close to 50 miles this week, most of which will be easy pace and then repeat the session next week.

Upcoming races
    Dec 1st - Waterford Half
    5k over the holidays.
    Feb - Trim 10 miler

Would love to be having a crack at the NIA LIVE again this year, in particular the mile but working every evening now has scuppered that.

Only got to 42 miles last week and mainly super easy pace. Was due to go out on Sunday but was hit with a wave of tiredness and opted to rest.
    This week has gone well, a little more pep in my step and on this evening's run I swore I was running 7:15s and 6:41 beeps, bout to hit a long drag and decided to try hold the effort and again felt like 7:15 but watch beeped at 6:43.
    Chuffed with the effort as it was wet, cold and on my own.
    HR may have been a bit high on 2nd mile or it may be a case of returning to normal levels.
    For about a year I've struggled to get my HR up, it's like I lost 10 beats.

46 miles last week, only the one session and a longish run of 9 miles.

Waterford this week, aim is sub 1:40, all stepping stones for Berlin half in April.

The body finally starting to feel back to normal post marathon.

Waterford Half Marathon

Absolutely chuffed with this.
    Lined up with the sub 1:50 pacers, had a friend in there and figured it'll stop me going too quick on the fast 1st mile. I also had my eyes on the 1:40 pacer.
    Found the first 3 miles a little tough
    7:13, 7:43, 7:19

But seemed to be warmed up by mile 4, which is where I caught the 1:40 pacers, stayed with them to regather myself and then kicked on, couldn't believe how quickly the miles were ticking by
    7:19, 7:31, 7:07, 7:25, 7:06, 7:19

Then the drag on the carriageway hit and I was working hard, knew I had the PB in the bag but thoughts of 1:35 sth had entered my head but this section spat them back out.
    7:41, 7:31, 7:19

Started to pick it up for the last mile but with 800m to go, I started puking, kept running, kept puking, about 8 times in all, water and gels making a nice electric pink.
    7:02, just got over the line but for the last 0.1the pace was 9:20. I got a lot of shouts from people hoping I was ok, definitely a messy sight.

Did not care 1:36:24, a PB of over a minute and a half, which was from Berlin 2012. Really happy with how the year has finished.
    Last PB was from last Dec 5:42 for the mile but this means more, this I hope is a massive turning point in what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Well done super stuff.

Raced the last 3 weekends, first up was Marlay Parkrun in 21:22, felt awful, had a bit of a dose.

Following week I was back in Marlay, 20:29, felt much better and felt like there was more there.

Went into Raheny feeling confident and wanted 34 sth. A very congested start, tried not to weave 6:46.
    Saw a clubmate up ahead and tried to get close to him, ran right behind him for almost a mile, moved alongside and finally said hello, 6:48.
    On the 3rd mile I was still feeling good and just went with it, 6:39.
    Mile 4 messed with my head, in particular the 180 turn, lost all momentum leading to and around the turn. Scanned the field coming up to see if the clubmate was there, no sign, 6:53.
    Start of 5th mile was a bit of a struggle but with 800m to go I started to get the rhythm up and with 400m to go I was flying. Finished with way too much in the tank, 33:42, clubmate right behind me.

I can take a lot of confidence from this and look forward to being a bit more aggressive.

Mileage lower than normal but missed a lot of days at the start.

Marlay Parkrun this morning and definitely a sub 20 attempt after the confidence of Raheny.

Was disappointed to see a bit of frost and ice outside the driveway but headed out in hope.

Small warm up and drills and then went nuts for the 1st K, found myself in the top 6, knew this wasn't sustainable but hoped it would catapult me in the right direction.
    3:51, 3:55, 4:07
    Was disappointed in the 3rd km and when the watch beeped I automatically slowed down, this lasted about 200m when a couple of guys went by, this snapped me back into life.
    The 4th km is tough and uphill and on uneven terrain, 4:28.
    I think because of the forest there's an overlap between the 4th and 5th K, last K came in at 3:36 according to watch but I'd say the last 2k were more like 4:18 and 3:46.
    Really happy with how I finished and still think there's more there.

My watch said 19:59 and I was dreading the official results, they've come in and given me 19:42 which unless my watch is broke is wrong but I know I got the sub 20 even if only by a second.

Distance|Current PB/Year|A Goal|B Goal
    Marathon|3:37 (2008) |3:30:00|3:15:00
    Half Marathon|1:36:24 (2018) |<1:30:00|<1:35:00
    10 Mile|1:09:27 (2002) |As far under Sub 70 as I can get|
    5 Mile|33:07 (2009)|31:??|32:??
    5K|19:25 (2009)|18:29|19:20
    1 Mile|05:42 (2017)|05:12|05:28

Nice to have a new PB, that's 2 in 2 years, so would definitely like to improve that strike rate.

Big Goal race is Berlin Half in April and I'll be doing everything possible to hammer a new PB.

Didn't get to the track this year or make an appearance in the Dublin Novice, so still on my goals list.

To keep enjoying it, that's about 20 months of consistency and having fun, remembering why I like to run.

Just keeping track as heavily focused at the moment.

Next 3 races
    MSB 5K in March, need to back up the sub 20.
    Berlin half in April, looking good for 1:35 or better.
    Terenure 5 mile, lots of confidence from Raheny, PB could be on.

What else I'm doing to try hit the goals:
    Invested in a home gym, well glorified shed, so doing two lifting sessions a week.

Still off sweets and fizzy drinks since last April and start of the year I'm drinking water only and no more bread.

Started a long run group on Sundays, 13 in it at the moment and the standard is strong. We alternate a long run session one week with a time on your feet the following, so far so good.

Last week was 56 miles
    Two workouts, the first was 4x350m at 5k pace off 350m jog, nothing too stressful.
    The second workout was apart of the long run and included 2x2mile at half marathon pace, it actually came in a bit quicker at 6:50 instead of 7:00 to 7:05.

This week has gone well so far, few more strides and medium efforts thrown in. Last night included 19x20-35 second efforts off the same recovery.
    Loads of foam rolling this morning.

• Advertisement

Last week finished with a group 10 miler up to Bohernabreena reservoir and back, beautiful spot and definitely need to run up there more. This capped the week at 48 miles.

This week has mainly been easy apart from yesterday which was 6x400m at 5k pace off a 200m jog.

Plan for rest of the week is a group run at Marlay parkrun, hoping to have about 50 runners, fingers crossed.
    Sunday is another group long run in Marlay, the plan is 11 miles which will include:
    2 mile warm up
    1 mile at Half Marathon pace
    1 mile recovery
    3 miles at Half Marathon pace
    1 mile recovery
    1 mile at Half Marathon pace
    2 mile cool down

This run is about building up to the 5 miles at Half Marathon pace in 2 weeks time.
    I've decided not to race the msb 5k as looking at my past build ups, I've never had as many long runs in a row, by the time Berlin comes around I will have 9 in a row, 4 of which were sessions and 5 time on feet. I feel this is going to set me up nicely, providing the weather plays ball.

Advertisement