Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You've said a few times that you think you are better at shorter distances. So why are you targeting the Dublin Marathon so?

It's a good and fair question.
    Right now if I was to race in graded 800s or 1500s, I'd be dead last, even in the D race and probably by a distance, that does not float my boat.
    Right now, I just want to stay consistent and build up my endurance, I think this will put me in better shape for racing some indoor stuff next year.
    I also think it's easier to focus on endurance while running on your own. Coaching the juveniles clashes with adult training groups.
    I'm looking forward to the marathon but I do have a few regrets for signing up already as I think I'm more excited by 5k stuff and feel by after the summer I'll be back in 19sth territory.

St Coca's is Friday if any use to you, supposed to be a great race.

I'm all signed up, wet and windy forecast, cheers :-)
    You doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Wottle wrote: »
    I'm all signed up, wet and windy forecast, cheers :-)
    You doing it?

I was planning on it but we changed things up to tomorrow night so will have to wait till next week to race a 5k (hopefully weather plays ball for both of us :P)

Still no such things as bad weather, only soft runners ;)

I was planning on it but we changed things up to tomorrow night so will have to wait till next week to race a 5k (hopefully weather plays ball for both of us :P)

Still no such things as bad weather, only soft runners ;)

yeah but I'm a soft as they come :-)
    Good luck tomorrow.

Wednesday
    Went off script here, plan was 3x300m @ 5k pace with 1300m steady between.
    Got the first one right 7:04 pace but then went 6:31 and 6:10. Feeling good after, so continued on at steady.
    Just over 5.5 miles, Pace 7:47

Thursday
    4 miles with the U14s and some strides.
    Wet and cold, hardy kids.
    4 miles at 8:15ish pace and 0.72 worth of strides

Friday
    No 5k race tonight as it was just getting too messy with kids and minders.
    So it'll be Shanganagh in the morning.
    30 minutes on the treadmill in my new shoes, AHR 69%

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Shanganagh Parkrun

Almost didn't go as was watching the Lions but knew my brain was playing games.
    Limited warm up, and cool down for that matter. Wanted to go out a little more cautious but you can't trust your watch here (photo attached shows me cutting massive corners, I didn't) so trying to feel my way into it.
    Strong 1st K, backed up with a solid 2nd, 3rd wasn't great but ok, it was heading out on the last loop that I lost my rhythm (loose dogs) and it's mentally tough here, resisting urge to stop. 4th K was a disaster and leaked massive amounts of time.
    Knowing I'm on my last K and I picked it up a lot, knowing I was close to sub 22, fastest KM of the lot.

21:55 in the end, mixed feelings. I know I'm capable of quicker but my mind is letting me down, I probably need a few more races under my belt to get into the right intensity (today's effort was still well below what I'd expect for 5k).
    I also need to get the finger out in training and start hitting paces.

The positive, still a parkrun PB, I liked my new racing shoes and got to say hello to beep beep, been a few years, he looks younger :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice return to 5k racing, and agree with you about falling out of practice of racing, getting used to a bit of hurt while clicking into top gear harder than you think. Onwards and upwards.

Next week is going to be leg zapping, in a good way,so figured I'd get next weeks long run in today, just in case.

A little over 10 miles around Marlay, beautiful morning for it.
    Took in more hills than Mondays 10, also bit tired coming from night shift.
    AHR 77%, Pace 9:04

Its been a good 12 weeks
    June 169 miles
    July 161 miles
    3 races

This is supposed to be an easy down week, filled with 4 milers but so far it doesn't feel that easy. I'm running an athletics camp for the week with 30 kids, lots of chasing, muscles are screaming, I'm getting old!

Monday
    A tired, wet but enjoyable 4 miler in marlay.
    AHR 78%, Pace 8:28

Tuesday
    A tired but enjoyable 4 miler close to home.
    Pace 7:44

Wednesday
    4 miles in the racers, loving them.
    AHR 77%, Pace 8:36

Thursday
    4 miles easy plus strides with the U14s
    AHR 73%, Pace 8:55

Body was tired when starting both of these but felt much better after.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Just over 4, body in a kicker.
    AHR 76%, Pace 8:23

Saturday
    Just over 30 mins around a 1 mile loop close to home.
    Body still tired but I can start to breath and recover again, hamstrings seem back to normal.
    Pace 8:27

Sunday
    4 miles around Marlay.
    Pace 8:32

Monday
    5 miles around Marlay.
    AHR 75%, Pace 9:08

Down week over, hopefully next few weeks will see me get the mileage closer to 50.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marlay is an extra pain in the face this time of the year with all the works in there. :(

Tuesday
    5 mile tempo, had some sniffles and puked up blueberries after.
    AHR 85%, Pace 7:42

Wednesday
    My eldest is running in the 1500 AIs this Sunday but missed yesterday's training (wasn't feeling great), her coach suggested she get out today for some faster stuff, if up to it. We did a 2 mile warm up, she again wasn't feeling great, so she watched me do some strides and we jogged a mile home before I added an extra mile. Not looking good for her.
    5.4 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A couple of days rest is no harm, and if she can get in a jog with some strides on Saturday, that would be enough to wake her up. The training is in the bank now anyway.

RayCun wrote: »
    A couple of days rest is no harm, and if she can get in a jog with some strides on Saturday, that would be enough to wake her up. The training is in the bank now anyway.

Cheers RayCun and you're right of course, it's more the fact this is been a recurring theme this year, it's that age I guess and the quality from last weekend.

Thursday
    7 tired tired miles.
    Pace 9:12

Friday
    30 minutes on the treadmill, didn't fancy running through a load of festival goers.
    AHR 72%, Pace 8:30ish

Saturday
    Although I've signed up for the Dublin marathon, I'm not sure I'll do it yet.
    I don't really fancy the idea of doing proper long runs, with that said, I set out to do 14 today. Failed miserably and called it a day after only 8.5. My heart rate was 10-15 beats higher than normal and I had an awful headache.
    Ran the first 2 miles with my eldest as she gets ready to do battle tomorrow, she didn't feel great either.
    I'll try again on Monday.
    AHR 79%, Pace 9:15

Down to 173 pounds from 189, works out at about minus 1 pound for every 6 days of running. 3 left to hit a 100 in the streak.

Sunday
    5.25 miles, AHR 77%, Pace 8:54
    Out early for this as had a day in Tullamore on the agenda.
    Still a bit sluggish.

Monday
    Got out during the warmest part of the day.
    5 miles with a couple of strides thrown in during each mile.

As expected, my eldest didn't run too well in the 1500, 40 secs off her PB and just didn't look right. Came off the track crying and chucked her spikes away.
    After she calmed down, she was adamant she still wanted to do her javelin (not many doing that double)
    She apologised to her spikes and ended up throwing a pb and getting 3 extra throws by making final 8th, so ended the day on a high. The winner was nearly twice as far though.
    Very proud of how she dealt with her earlier disappointment but I should have had more sense and not let her run.

Tuesday
    Half marathon training run 1:56:53
    AHR 77%, Pace 8:55

This was 12 laps around TBB's loop, started easy enough for the first 5 miles and then just increased it by 10/15 secs a mile for the remainder.
    Felt fitting to run my 100th run with a half, as the streak was inspired by a poorly run half in Berlin.

A few interesting stats to compare:
    2/4/2017 - Berlin - 2:05:22 (AHR 89%, Pace 9:28)
    18/7/2017 - TBB Loop - 1:56:53 (AHR 78%, Pace 8:55)

I ran yesterday in my new racers and think they've led to some doms today.

Wednesday
    5k recovery run around Marlay
    AHR 70%, Pace 9:40

Wish Longitude would just get the fcuk out of the park already.
    Legs very tired.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    5 miles straight after the night shift
    AHR 74%, Pace 8:51

Need to monitor my right achilles and left knee, more side effects from wearing the racers for so long and not breaking them in properly, I think.

Going to do a proper week of marathon training next week and then make a call once and for all if I'm going to do DM. My fear is that the training will take too much out of me and I'll end up jacking it all in, again.
    I'm in a sweet spot right now and loving it.

Friday
    5 miles up to marlay and back, included 5 by 30-45 second efforts throughout.
    Pace 8:40

Saturday
    Girls had friends over from the club for a sleepover, sleepover came with the condition of running a parkrun :-)
    I felt great and fancied a new parkrun PB, however my 11 year old has been nursing growth spurts and hasn't run much in the last 3 months. She would have been running on her own and my conscience got the better of me.
    5k at 9:20 pace, AHR 74%
    Conditions were perfect but really enjoyed my run.

Sunday
    Felt a bit woozy in work Saturday night, felt much better Sunday morning but put off my run till lunchtime, was sidetracked messing around with music playlists from Glastonbury :-) so hadnt eaten since dinner the evening before when I headed out.
    The inevitable happened, 5 miles into a 10 miler I crashed and burned, rang my wife to collect me 6.5 miles in total, just couldn't get my heart rate down and felt terrible.

Monday
    Good night sleep, felt better again but thought I should play safe and just do an easy 5 miler, same happened again, only this time I got myself home.
    3.9 miles, Pace 9:09

Today is 106 days not out, so bound to be a few dodgy runs in the mix.
    I seem to have cold like symptoms now, lots of mucus, nasal voice and dull headache.

My mate is still keeping his streak alive, 68 today and pb'd over Sundays 10k, running sub 38, he is mid 40s and had thought his best days were behind him, very envious of his progress.

Tuesday
    Super sleep the night before, woke up refreshed and headed to Rathmines to watch Dunkirk with my better half, really enjoyed it.
    Waited for the evening to cool and then headed out for 8x400@5k pace, felt harder than it should have, so maybe not fully recovered, an opportunity for mental toughness :-)
    I know when I do the same session next week, either the pace or heart rate will be well down.
    5 miles, AHR 85%, Pace 8:30
    During intervals 90%, 7 mins

My spin on Sunday was cut short due to two cyclists going down so could have joined you at the time you went out. I'd never have let you stop and call the wife. :)

My spin on Sunday was cut short due to two cyclists going down so could have joined you at the time you went out. I'd never have let you stop and call the wife. :)

Haha, weren't you supposed to get back to me Saturday.

Wottle wrote: »
    Haha, weren't you supposed to get back to me Saturday.

ha yeah but I didn't find out until after midnight (sun morn) what the bike plan was...people falling off was not part of that plan though..

Wednesday
    Cadence run on the treadmill.
    30 minutes, AHR 74%

Thursday
    Plan was to bring the car to a garage straight after work, do a run and car will be ready for pickup when done.
    10.5 miles, AHR 77%, Pace 9:01
    Heart rate was rising from bout 7 miles when tiredness was kicking in, also got a call from the garage telling me total cost would be 850, I had budgeted 300, going to have to do it in 2 parts, this will give me a chance to do same route again, had no idea where I was at times which I enjoyed. Nearly an hour after my run and I'm still waiting.

Friday
    5 miles at easy pace, legs tired
    Pace 9:20

Saturday
    5 miles, first mile was a warm up and then 4 miles at Half pace, give or take.
    AHR 83%, Pace 7:49

• Advertisement

Sunday
    16 miles, ran from Ballyboden to the castleknock roundabout in the Phoenix park and back.
    Really enjoyed it and the miles went by quickly.
    Heart rate for the start was 140, middle 150, latter stages 160.
    AHR 75%, Pace 9:15

My longest run in sometime and felt I could have gone on but I've learnt it's best to bottle that feeling.

Advertisement