Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

Saturday
    Marlay Parkrun - was procrastinating over doing this for far too long this morning, made my mind up at 9:05, jumped on the motorbike soon after and arrived at 9:25, no warm up.

Because of a lack of W/U ,I decided to take the first K handy, it's a hilly one, so just as well.

Felt great for the next couple of K but didn't want to push too hard as I wanted to do a better job on the 4th K, fell a part here 3 weeks ago. Got into a tussle which helped me stay focused.

Once the watch bleeped and told me I had a K left, I seemed to be able to change gears easy enough, into the wind as well and made the last K my quickest.
    21:07, faster than Rathfarnham's more favourable course and a new parkrun PB .

A few thoughts, need to do more specific faster running, my AHR for today was 173 but back in April for the half it was 176, sth doesn't make sense. Last time I went sub 20, admittedly 5 years ago, my AHR was 186. I know my max is the same because of the half back in April.
    Conclusion, keep racing more, run quicker on hard days and toughen up a bit!

Sunday
    5 mile recovery run
    Pace 9:30

My back is still driving me mad, need to get it sorted.
    Today meant half a year in the streak.

Monday
    5 miles at 8:30 pace

Tuesday
    7 miles including 6x400m at 5k pace off 1 minute recovery jog.
    99, 95, 94, 90, 97, 93

Wednesday
    5 miles at 8:44 pace
    Didn't get out till late.

Thursday
    5 miles at 8:52 pace
    Again, didn't get out till late again.

Now weighing in at 164, was 190ish at start of the streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Wottle wrote: »

Now weighing in at 164, was 190ish at start of the streak.

Good going - should be encouragement to continue...

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good going - should be encouragement to continue...

Thanks, feel like I'm about to have some good performances around the corner!
    I reckon another 10 pounds and I'll be at a good running weight.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Just over 4 miles around Marlay, body felt very tired and just not right so abandoned the session.

Saturday
    30 minute treadmill run at very easy pace, feeling awful, just a cold though.

Sunday
    4 miles with the juveniles around Marlay, including strides, feeling better.

Monday
    4 miles just messing with pace on the treadmill.

Tuesday
    Was feeling a little better again, so decided upon a few Kilometres of steady.
    3k at 4:30 and 1k at sub 4
    Little over 5 miles in total.

Wednesday
    3 laps around a local route. Lots of gunk.
    Almost 3.5 miles.
    Pace 8:05

Thursday
    5k around Stephen's green with a back pack. Still not feeling great.
    Pace 8:51

Friday
    Still feeling a little miserable, so kept it to just over 4 miles. Really need this cold to go now.
    Pace 8:40 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tuesday
    Was feeling a little better again, so decided upon a few Kilometres of steady.
    3k at 4:30 and 1k at sub 4
    Little over 5 miles in total.

Wednesday
    3 laps around a local route. Lots of gunk.
    Almost 3.5 miles.
    Pace 8:05

Thursday
    5k around Stephen's green with a back pack. Still not feeling great.
    Pace 8:51

Friday
    Still feeling a little miserable, so kept it to just over 4 miles. Really need this cold to go now.
    Pace 8:40 pace

If you're sick you probably should take a day off. Logging bad runs just for the sake of keeping a streak going seems a bit pointless to me.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If you're sick you probably should take a day off. Logging bad runs just for the sake of keeping a streak going seems a bit pointless to me.

And me at times but I've set myself a target and want to hit it, I'm determined to hit it.

I'm getting more out of it than just physical adaptations as well, I feel it's making me mentally stronger which was a massive weakness of mine.

Saturday
    5 miles easy, less gunk, pace 9:00
    I actually titled the run on Strava "when a deposit becomes a loan" so I do agree with chivito above and the old Dave would have taken a day off but I'm definitely more resilient now.

Sunday
    Long day out in Abbotstown at the Autumn xc, lots of running around with juveniles.
    After above, 5k at 8:11 pace
    Decided to keep it easy as was feeling a good bit better and can hopefully attack next week.

• Advertisement

Bit of catch up

Week starting the
    23/10 - 39.4 miles
    30/10 - 44.9 miles, which included a session of 3x3k at HMP
    6/11 - 43.5 miles, which included a short run with 5k & HMP
    13/11 - 34.7 miles, which included 1 run of 4k at HMP and a parkrun in 20:32
    20/11 - 45.4 miles, which included an 11 mile run with 4/3/2/1k pyramid at HMP, maybe a little quicker.
    27/11 - 41.1 miles, which included the Waterford Half Marathon

Ran 1:43:47, was aiming for 1:35 which I still believe was a realistic target. Just felt off from the start and knew it but kept pushing, was goosed by 10/11k.
    A number of reasons for the bad run:
    1. Driving over a 100 minutes down on the morning, didn't effect Raycun though!
    2. Still have a sore back and above didn't help.
    3. Calf guards, never run well in them!
    4. All week I was coaching in schools how to lunge and squat.
    5. The course, just didn't suit.
    6. Busy with work related stuff, including a job interview, which I got :-)

The target for the rest of the year is sub 20 for 5k, down to 20:32 from Marlay parkrun a few weeks back. Going to target a parkrun on the 16th, 23rd and failing that, maybe the streets of Wicklow. Also signed up for Tom Brennan on New years day.

Finally, streak is still going, now at 238.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday morning were all work related runs.

Thursday evening, headed to Abbotstown for an indoor mile. I was very nervous but in a good way, determined to run and think positive.
    I knew I'd run sub 6, so thought about 5:49.

Gun went and I was shuffled back to last, didn't mind this as I felt I was bang on pace for 209 meters and I was, through in 45 seconds.
    Two guys just in front then slowed a tad and this was putting me off my rhythm, so I went by them.
    I was now in a group of 4, again at the back but everytime we went by the clock we were bang on for 5:50, so I stayed there.
    I was getting a massive shout out on every lap from a 3:52 miler, which was amazing and definitely helped.
    With 3 laps to go I went by one of the women from sportsworld and was now behind a SLOT athlete. Got another shout telling me to go at the bell, I went just before it to go by the SLOT runner and instantly found another gear and was finishing well, 5:48.

Very pleased, feel I had more but haven't raced a mile for a few years, so a bit rusty. Felt I made good moves throughout. The 8 laps was never an issue, kind of looked forward to seeing the clock each time. 2:55 for the first 809m and 2:53 for final 800m.

Thinking of doing the 800m now next week, last time I did an 800m a week after a mile race I ran 2:30. That mile and 800m were part of the Clonliffe grand prix in 2009 and the mile was run in 5:50, so maybe a sub 2:30 is on?

Would urge others to give the NIA Live a go, super night out.

Friday
    AM - 4 miles easy
    PM - 3 miles easy

Saturday
    3 miles with juveniles and some laser run intervals.

Sunday
    4 cold miles with the juveniles

I've signed up for the 800m next Thursday, was very tempted to do the mile again giving Sonia will be running it
    Plan to race a lot between now and end of January in an effort to get out of my comfort zone. Only 16 weeks left to Berlin Half.

Monday
    8 miles in the morning, first 3 very easy.
    Then it was 5 laps of a 500m hilly loop. I would stride 80m fast on the flat before hitting a 200m steep hill and then recovering on the downhill before repeating.
    3 miles easy in the evening.

Tuesday
    Knee was a bit niggly, must be from the hilly session. Lots of foam rolling, particularly the hip as this appears to help my knee.
    3 miles easy.

Wednesday
    4 miles easy, knee not too bad.

Thursday
    3.5 miles easy at lunch time.
    Evening was 1.5 mile warm up, race 1 mile, 1.5 mile cool down.
    Knee was back to a 100%, back still sore though but again not while running.

1 mile NIA Live
    I felt last week I left some seconds on the track. Tonight I was prepared to go out hard and hang on. Sonia O Sullivan was ther, also running a mile, must have been about 20 in her race so I opted for the second race which was much the faster. Lots of BP singlets.
    Gun goes and the pace is very fast from the start but I tuck in at the back, 40 seconds through 209 - ouch. 81 for 409 and could feel the legs turning to jelly a bit but I plugged on.
    Think I was 2:48 for 809m. On lap 6 I could feel a major drop in pace, pulled it back a tad on last 2 laps. Collapsed in a heap - 5:42 and 6 seconds quicker than last week. I finished last and was lapped by the first 3, I think.
    The guy who came out with me had never raced a mile or been on a track before. I told him to stick with me, he did for 7 laps and then kicked on the last putting 6 seconds between us.

Another smashing night, well done NIA team.
    I did it the hard way and because of that I feel I left another few seconds out there. Can't wait for the next mile.

Now sub 20 for 5k attempt on Saturday!

Friday
    6.5 miles in the morning
    3 in the evening.

Saturday
    I had committed to do the Shanganagh Parkrun and to attempting sub 20. Fairly certain I'm in that shape but my legs this morning were dead.
    Didn't get much of a warm up but just said feck it.
    Went with beepbeep the sub 20 pacer for the day. I could only manage a k, legs were unresponsive and I dropped off, saving myself for next Saturday when I won't have a hard mile race in the legs.
    21:17 for today and I'm ok with that because I know why.

Sunday
    5 miles easy early in the morning.

Monday
    Just over 4 miles at easy

Tuesday
    5k easy with my eldest

Wednesday
    Just over 4 miles, mostly easy with a few fast short efforts.

Having a step back week in the hope I can freshen the legs up for Saturday's parkrun attempt. Knee is a bit niggly but eases out after a few minutes. Back is still the same, uncomfortable apart from when I run. Going to see someone in January about it.
    Looking forward to running a bit more with my eldest over the holidays, she's had a bit of a dip in form but wants to run the 800m in the Scottish indoor champs in March. She did same 3 years ago and we'd a super fun weekend and it propelled her forward.

Looking forward to making my own goals for 2018, this year has set me up well, 1500 miles for the year, my biggest tally ever.

Thursday
    Just over 3.5 miles with my eldest.

Friday
    3 miles easy

Saturday
    Marlay Parkrun, although the plan was to go to Shanganagh but couldn't get off the toilet.
    Planned to then jog to Marlay but another trip to the bathroom meant I had to cycle.
    Made it with a couple of minutes to spare but no warm up.

Decided not to race but to work the first 3k, recover during the 4th and then get going again on the 5th K, which was to include a sprint finish. I created a segment for the sprint finish a few weeks back and makes for some interesting reading.
    The above might sound like a cop out but with a dodgy belly and no warm up, I think it was sensible.
    First 3k in 12:20 and then I eased right up, a few overtook me here but I looked forward to seeing if I'd get them back, 4:54.
    Enjoyed the last K and really went for the sprint, got a few that went by me but not all. Strava has last K at 3:44 but the course is read a little short.
    20:51.

Happy enough, signed up for the Streets of Wicklow on the 26th and also Tom Brennan NYD.

Sunday
    Very enjoyable 9 miles up to and around Bohernabreena reservoir.

Monday
    5 miles easy in between the chaos.

Tuesday
    Planned to race but just wasn't feeling it but it did serve a purpose in that my belly showed some self control.
    Got out for a proper 5 mile fartlek in the evening.

Wednesday
    Just over 9 miles, didn't really enjoy it, felt like I was out there for about 3 hours, right hamstring a bit tight.

New racers bought for sub 20 attempt, nike flex 2017.

Thursday
    3 miles easy

Friday
    3 miles easy

Saturday
    6.5 miles including a parkrun in 22:2?. My back and knee were sore but I wanted to try my new shoes.

Sunday
    3 miles easy on the treadmill, back and knee still sore.

2017 Races - There were a few more Parkruns but nothing of note.

Plan to race a lot more in 2018.

Berlin half marathon (April)
    2:05
    Made me cop on to myself

Terenure 5 mile (May)
    37:29
    Happy out

Rathfarnham 5k (Sep)
    21:10
    Imploded

Marlay Parkrun 5k (Nov)
    20:32
    Wussed out a little on the 4th K

Waterford half marathon (Dec)
    1:43
    Disappointing run but big improvement from April

NIA Live 1 mile (Dec)
    5:48
    Solid pacing

NIA Live 1 mile (Dec)
    5:42
    Poor pacing, just about hung on

A few things that will make me a better runner
    Nutrition - I've a wicked sweet tooth
    Mental toughness - Real weak spot, things get tough, Dave goes AWOL.
    Strength and conditioning, never really done it but have little doubt it's a factor with my sore back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

2017 Races - There were a few more Parkruns but nothing of note.

Plan to race a lot more in 2018.

Berlin half marathon (April)
    2:05
    Made me cop on to myself

Terenure 5 mile (May)
    37:29
    Happy out

Rathfarnham 5k (Sep)
    21:10
    Imploded

Marlay Parkrun 5k (Nov)
    20:32
    Wussed out a little on the 4th K

Waterford half marathon (Dec)
    1:43
    Disappointing run but big improvement from April

NIA Live 1 mile (Dec)
    5:48
    Solid pacing

NIA Live 1 mile (Dec)
    5:42
    Poor pacing, just about hung on

A few things that will make me a better runner
    Nutrition - I've a wicked sweet tooth
    Mental toughness - Real week spot, things get tough, Dave goes AWOL.
    Strength and conditioning, never really done it but have little doubt it's a factor with my sore back.

Best of luck for 2018, those 3 areas you've listed for improvement are exactly the same for me.

TbL

Monday
    4 miles on the treadmill with 3x1 minute fast at the end

Tuesday
    5 miles on the treadmill with 3x1 minute fast at the end

Wednesday
    Easy run around the Marlay Parkrun loop

5 miles in the evening with 2x2k tempo, 1k recovery between

Thursday
    5 miles easy

Friday
    Went to see Testosterscone about my back, told me I shouldn't race the master's xc, kind of relieved as my back is causing a severe lack of confidence. He advised no long runs, no hills, no racing and a few exercises.
    5 miles on a new course, as flat as I could find around Ballyboden.

Saturday
    5k on the treadmill

Sunday
    5 miles on the treadmill with 6x1 minute at wishful 5k pace

Monday
    5k around another new route, felt cold and awful

Tuesday
    Motorbike wouldn't start so had to cycle 5 miles into town, run 4 miles with work (forgot to start watch for first km). Cycle 5 miles home into the wind.

Wednesday
    5k on the treadmill

Thursday
    Was a repeat of Tuesday with cycle-run-Cycle.
    Ended up in Herbert park for the first time ever.

During Tuesday's run, one of the runner's told me an acupuncturist sorted out her back. I'll try anything at this stage, so I made an appointment for Thursday evening. He put 10 needles in my back and put a small pulse across them (warm and tingly). After, he used 8 cups to suck my back into. There was also a non gentle elbow massage.
    24 hours later and the pain had reduced from an 8 when really sore to a 2.

Friday
    AM 5k with work
    PM 5k with work

Back still feeling good

Saturday
    My daughter wanted to run the Marlay Parkrun. I woke early but stayed in bed, hoping she wouldn't wake, she did.
    Conditions were miserable, driving wind and rain that made it feel colder than it was.

She's been struggling with a bit of form the last 6 months but is running the 800m in the Scottish indoor champs in March and has committed to working her butt off.

2k warm up, then hid behind a hedge for a few minutes.
    Plan was to run first 2k together but after 1500m she was a little off the pace, so I left her to it.
    Because it was an easier effort at the start, from 2k on I was able to concentrate on attacking people in front and I did so all the way till the end 20:53.
    1k cool down

Happy enough considering low confidence, poor conditions and light training.

Back has held up really well since, I would say it was the acupuncture more so that has helped but definitely the exercises I was given by Testosterscone have played their part and have highlighted massive weaknesses in my core, flutes and hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

massive weaknesses in my core, flutes and hips.

Ah never admit to a weakness in your flute!!!! Great to hear the back is better.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ah never admit to a weakness in your flute!!!! Great to hear the back is better.

Cheers, that auto correct is killing me, from flutes to sitting on coaches :-)

Sunday
    5 miles easy, slipped on the ice but no damage.

Monday
    4 and a bit miles, last 2 on my own.

Tuesday
    5k on the treadmill with 6x1 minute off a minute jog.

Wednesday
    3.5 miles in the morning with strides
    2.5 miles in the evening with strides

Thursday
    5k on the treadmill with a nose bleed, stressful day.

Friday
    3 miles easy in the morning
    3 miles easy in the evening.

Saturday
    5k on the treadmill.

Sunday
    5k on the treadmill.

Very stressful week, lots going on. Next week will be similar, fingers crossed I can still make Raheny, although confidence is a bit low due to drop in mileage and a lack of sessions.

Went to the acupuncturist again on Thursday, my back continues to improve.

Getting close to the end now, today was 350 in the streak.
    I'm going to have a bit more spare time over the Easter holidays for logging and trying to put a few of my thoughts down on paper regarding my year of running, to help form sth a bit more detailed.

When I started this, it was on the back of a poor performance in the Berlin half, 2:05.
    In the airport on the way home I promised to take a week off and then run everyday till the Berlin half 2018, the goal was to hammer that 2:05. Im not too sure when 1:35 started to enter my thinking.

I thought I was already at 1:35 back in December in Waterford, I wasn't, not even close, 1:43.
    I did have legitimate excuses for that run but I was never going to run 1:35 that day and not sure I'm there now.
    Thankfully my back is feeling better, almost back to normal.

The streak has made me strong but not fast. Running every day has come at the expense of quality sessions, sth I hope to put right when the streak ends on April 9th.

I've only run 1 PB and that was perhaps a bit soft anyway, 5:42 For the mile in December at the NIA. Can't believe I still haven't broke 20 for 5k (20:32) but think that'll come soon when I take a few days off.

Last week was my biggest mileage week, 65 which included a 14 miler in the snow.
    This week was 53 miles which included a 10 mile hard effort today, which left me cramping badly in my hamstrings all evening long.
    Plan for the upcoming week is to drop mileage and run a few faster miles before tapering for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was wondering about this yesterday. Same weekend as Rotterdam? And how is the protege getting on?

RayCun wrote: »
    I was wondering about this yesterday. Same weekend as Rotterdam? And how is the protege getting on?

Same weekend. Was going well but has had a niggly calf last 3/4 weeks, very frustrating for him.

• Advertisement

Only a week to go, still trying to decide on a target time, 1:37 possibly.

No major sessions this week, ran with the kids in DSD, we did the Marlay parkrun in reverse, seems fast.
    Yesterday was 6x200m with 200m jog in between, felt easy.

Woke up this morning with a bit of a bug, tummy, sore throat and ear ache. Better to get it now than later in the week.

Highest monthly total in the streak, 200 miles.
    New runners bought. Can't wait.

Advertisement