Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Monday
    4 mile cadence run on the treadmill

Tuesday
    5 miles Inc 8x400m with 400m recovery.
    As expected, for same effort as last week, I was over 2:30 quicker, knew I wasn't right last week.
    AHR 85%, Pace 7:57
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1890211040?share_unique_id=3

Wednesday
    30 minutes around Tymon park while kids attended swimming lessons. Did not enjoy the run, missing a spring.
    Pace 8:55

Thursday
    7 mile run into work for night shift, wore a backpack, very heavy and could feel it in my knees and ankles.
    AHR 75%, Pace 9:15

Friday
    7 miles home after work with a greatly reduced backpack. Breeze in my face the whole way home, last 2 felt like miles 19 and 20 of a proper lsr. Still nice stress to the body.
    AHR 78%, Pace 9:01

Saturday
    4.5 miles, didn't have a plan but for the first mile I felt great and watch beeped at 7:15, still felt good and could see the pace getting quicker 6:59, sense prevailed and I thought I'd relax for a mile and go again but heart rate never really came under control.
    AHR 85%, Pace 8:03

Sunday
    Just over 5 miles easyish
    AHR 76%, Pace 9:02

Monday
    Attempted a long run but worked too hard too soon, called it a day after 7 as I've an energetic 2 weeks in work coming up.
    7 miles
    AHR 84%, Pace 8:19

Was disappointed how last few days of running have gone, feeling sorry for myself, got out of the shower and saw 169.4 pounds on the scale, that translates to a 20 pound loss for the 120 days of running. Thrilled to see this number as the weight loss had stalled for a few weeks, so I stopped weighing myself for last two weeks and then boom!
    This weight loss might explain my sluggishness though as I'd say maybe only 1 out of 3 or 4 runs feels good. It could also be the streak and also last weeks 16 miler.

Anyway this week and probably next will be down weeks and then holidays for 10 days, so with all these factors considered I'm knocking the marathon on the head and totally committing to sub 20 for 5k before focus shifts to Berlin half in April.

Tuesday
    Easy 5 miles, Pace 8:43

Wednesday
    4 mile treadmill cadence run
    AHR 74%, Pace 8:00 approx

Thursday
    4 mile treadmill cadence run
    AHR 71%, Pace 8:00 approx

Friday
    Over to St Enda's park
    3.3 miles, toughest run of the week, legs could hardly move despite the easy pace.
    Pace 9:14

Saturday
    Back on the treadmill for an easy 30 mins, body still crying with stiffness,
    AHR 69%, Pace 9:10 approx

Sunday
    Feeling better after a good nights sleep in my own bed, determined to get a bit of quality in.
    7 miles which included 3x1 mile off 1 mile. Faster miles were 6:49, 6:52, 6:58.
    Nice controlled session.

The reason I'm so tired and finding the easiest of runs tough is because I'm running an athletics camp, the last hour of which is me and my team chasing the kids in a very intensive game of cops and robbers. I'm using muscles that haven't been used since I was a kid. Also worked Wed, thur, Fri night in another job. Have a camp next week but thankfully on a 2.5 week holiday from nights.
    126 not out.

Monday
    5 miles easy in the rain.
    Pace 9:04

Tuesday
    5.5 miles after the camp. Through St Endas and Marlay park.
    AHR 77%, Pace 8:43

Have had a sore tooth last few days which has got progressively worse, went to the dentist earlier today and I need a root canal, 700 euro!

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    A warm run home from the camp.
    4.5 miles, AHR 77%, Pace 9:02

Thursday
    My 3rd time to do this session in 4 weeks.
    8x400m with 400m recovery over my go to 5 miler course, which has plenty of ups and downs, so all 400s are different.

First time I did this was end of July, average per 400 was 104 seconds. Following week the average was 100 seconds and today 94 seconds.
    Really pleased with the improvement even if I did puke after the 6th rep (uphill).

Friday
    5 mile run into work.
    AHR 76%, Pace 8:56

Saturday
    5 mile easy before a trip to the dentist.
    2x23 second strides at the end.
    AHR 73%, Pace 9:01

Sunday
    Out and back course, headed towards Hook lighthouse but visibility was getting bad, maybe 200m, so didn't make it as far as the lighthouse.
    5 miles at around 9 minute miling
    AHR 77%

Monday
    Visibility was even worse today, so drove slowly to the local GAA grounds ( St Mogues )4 or 5 miles away.
    A lap of the grounds is 800m, handy. Ran 3 miles with each mile getting quicker, walk break and then I gave flying 30s a go, not a bad attempt if I do say so myself.
    4 miles in total.

Tuesday
    3 miles, Pace 9:12
    Belly was a little upset on this, needed to call it early, small bit of exploring.

Wednesday
    5.3 miles
    Very enjoyable run, had my wife drop me at the church, she then drove into fethard with the kids, who entertained themselves in the playground. I followed them into fethard and got there 2 miles later before taking a right up towards Carnivan Bay (one of Ireland's most amazing spots) and then swinging back down.
    AHR 80%, Pace 8:35

Tuesday
    3 miles, Pace 9:12
    Belly was a little upset on this, needed to call it early, small bit of exploring.

Wednesday
    5.3 miles
    Very enjoyable run, had my wife drop me at the church, she then drove into fethard with the kids, who entertained themselves in the playground. I followed them into fethard and got there 2 miles later before taking a right up towards Carnivan Bay (one of Ireland's most amazing spots) and then swinging back down.
    AHR 80%, Pace 8:35

• Advertisement

Thursday
    5.3 miles - AHR 79%, Pace 8:43
    Similar run to Wednesday except the family would be waiting for me on the beach.
    Sun was beaming when I left the house and I was sweating buckets. Arrived at the beach to cloud and a cold breeze, tried to go straight in the water for a dip but bottled it at hip height.

Friday
    I had measured the loop around the beach the day before, 1.35 miles. So drove down today to run 3 laps, a tad over 4 miles, absolutely beautiful views.
    AHR 77%, Pace 8:40
    After the run I kind of got the shivers, like a cold or flu, sth just not quite right, don't think its too serious as I just devoured a packet of Scots clan.

Not sure I'll do the parkrun tomorrow now as the streak must be protected, 138 for me and my mate hit a 100 today,will be interesting to see how he gets on in Tullamore tomorrow!

Saturday
    4 miles around the beach cliff loop, 1st and last mile a bit quicker.
    Pace 7:58
    Straight into the water after with the kids for some body surfing.

Sunday
    We decided to come home a day early as still bits for school to be picked up, late getting in so jumped on the treadmill for a little over 4 miles.
    Good cadence run.

Monday
    5.4 miles around marlay with RQ, great to catch up, hadn't run with her since 2010 eek
    AHR 76%, Pace 8:44
    Not used to talking while running, majority of runs being done solo, so breathing felt a little heavy and out of rhythm.

Signed up for Rathfarnham 5k, time to work on some mental toughness.
    My friend ran low 1:26 in Tullamore, given it's not exactly flat and it was warm, pretty good attempt, wouldn' rule sub 3 out in DCM just yet.

Tuesday
    Wanted to see how much fitness I had lost with 3 weeks of reduced mileage (2 weeks of the camp and 1 week of holidays). The answer appears to be none, although the run didn't start that well.
    2 mile loop around the house to warm up, my neck was really sore, 2 days in a row and I also needed a pit stop back at the house. Quickly regrouped and it was time for 1 mile steady at approx 83% mhr 7:04, 1 mile recovery, then 1 mile at 86% mhr 6:51, 1 mile easy. I started the next mile too hard but instead of slowing down, I sped up and made it an 800m 3:13, 1200m recovery and then tried a 400m fast, not all out though 78 seconds. The goal of every rep was to have a strong good looking stride, no flailing about at the end allowed, which is why I take long recoveries, after Xmas I'll start focusing on shorter recoveries. 2 mile cool down.
    10 miles in total

Wednesday
    Evening time, no dinner prepared, I suggested a takeaway, last day of summer for the kids but could we have it when I get back from my run "no" was the shout. Short time after and time to run, belly very bloated, opted for
    30 mins easy on treadmill.

Thursday
    5 miles, half with U13s, bit more with U14s and then a little bit more on my own.

Friday
    9 miles up a mountain, or maybe 1 or 2 miles up a steep hill is more accurate.
    My legs were wrecked, neck is still sore and had the worst stitch of my life. I don't know how I got up that hill.
    AHR 82%, Pace 9:01

Saturday
    Ran the Marlay parkrun loop with the juveniles, tagged on a mile and a few strides with the stronger ones.
    4.5 miles

Sunday
    7 miles at approx 9 min miling around Marlay, all on my own, easy enough pace.

Almost 45 miles for the week.

Monday
    3.5 miles, cut short as body didn't want to do anymore.
    AHR 76% Pace 8:51

Tuesday
    5.25 miles which included 3x1k (4:03, 4:08, 4:10)
    The wind was pissing me off and my form was flailing towards the end of the 3rd. Jog back over to the other side of the park for 5x100m and reinforce good form.

Wednesday
    Lots of stretching and foam rolling throughout the early afternoon. Headed out before 4pm for an easy 6 miler, bounced around, just one of those good days. Was tempted to do a few extra but thought better to bottle that feeling.
    Pace 8:18

Today was 150 in the streak.

Thursday
    5.2 miles with the juveniles.

Flights booked for Berlin half next April.

Friday
    5 miles at 8:25, it was straight after an athletics afterschool I do, so legs were tired. Lashed rain for the last mile.

Saturday
    Had a very narrow window to run, just 3 miles easy with a backpack.

Sunday
    10 miles (2 mile W/U) (1 mile in 6:45 - 1 mile easy, 1k on - 800m off, 800m on - 800m off, 1k on - 800m off, 800m on - 800m off) (2 mile C/D)

Had company, albeit slightly different sessions but over a looped course, so saw plenty of each other. Took me a while to get going. Happy with the 800s - 3:06 and 3:04.

Need a good long run next week that's all about time on feet.

Monday
    5 miles, mainly easy at 8:50 ish pace, legs tired.

Tuesday
    Busy day, about 8pm by the time I got out, legs still tired but I enjoyed it, 6 miles at 8:50 ish pace.

My lower back has been bugging me, I had to do a bit of wiring for a friend last week, mostly in his well insulated attic, I had to contort my body to get into a particular corner to pull cable, I ended up with my back digging into joists, bruised a bit as well. I've tried foam rolling it but just not right.

Wednesday
    5.5 miles with some strides thrown in. Tummy a little upset.
    AHR 76%, Pace 8:30

Thursday
    6 mile hilly run with an old friend and an opportunity to make new ones but that got scuppered because I couldn't talk. Enjoyed the run but still hate hills, it was from Marlay up by Stackstown golf course, keep going and then relief of downhill x2.
    AHR 82%, Pace 9:06

• Advertisement

Friday
    Busy day ahead, so out early for this.
    5 miles easy
    AHR 72%, Pace 9:26

Less than 50 to go in the 1000 mile challenge

Saturday
    Marlay Parkrun 21:45

This was a bit of prep for next week's Rathfarnham 5k.
    1k - 4:22
    2k - 4:14
    3k - 4:14
    4k - 5:00
    5k - 3:59
    Splits are give or take as that's a few seconds over what I ran. Took my foot off the gas when the watch bleeped at 2 miles, bit of mental fragility, haven't raced in awhile, so it's allowed. Got involved in a sprint finish, I lost but was up at 4:20 pace for last section, nice confidence boost. Parkrun PB on a slower course, normally run in Shanganagh, which is a lot quicker.

Next week's race will be interesting, I'll be a lot fresher for one.

W/U was just over 1.5 miles, no idea what C/D was

Sunday
    30 minutes around the grass of marlay.
    Pace 8:46

Monday
    9 miles, felt good.
    AHR 77%, Pace 8:51

Tuesday
    Almost 4 miles running between different juvenile groups.
    AHR 77%, Pace 9:03

Wednesday
    5 miles with 4x400m at hopeful 5k pace
    Pace 7:55

Thursday
    3.25 miles at 7:40 pace, just concentrating on form.

Friday
    4.3 miles easy at 8:56.

Went to see Peter Mathew's about my back, feel better for it now but there were moments I was cursing him with the pain.

Saturday
    3 miles easy around marlay.

Sunday
    6.7 miles - warm up, Rathfarnham 5k, cool down.

Felt good for this, only problem is my back, still sore and now feeling it when running.
    Last night I worked out splits and came up with a target of 20:25. Liked this number a lot and thought it's definitely achievable.
    Talked with a friend and he talked me into 19:59.

Through 2k in 8:03 and know I'm working too hard, long drag for kilometres 3/4 and my legs stop turning over, 9 minutes for these 2k.
    Nice last kilometre and I get going a little, with 300m to go I get taken by a club member, I stick with her and with about 200m to go I pass her and 3 others.
    Little annoyed that I'm not mentally stronger and that I had so much left and that I didn't stick to the original plan.
    21:10, still getting quicker and I'm very confident I'll go sub 20 before end of year.

Monday
    5 miles easy
    AHR 70%, Pace 9:04

Hit the 1000 miles today for only the 3rd time since the introduction of the challenge 2009, 2011 and 2017.
    Think I can classify myself as a runner again :-)

Tuesday
    Almost 6 miles

Wednesday
    5 miles easy
    Pace 8:31

Thursday
    5 miles - 1 mile warm up, 2 mile tempo 6:59 & 6:53, 1 mile recovery before finishing with a mile of strides, counting my right leg to 30 steps fast and left 30 steps easy, tough enough.

Friday
    5 miles easy
    Pace 8:51

Saturday
    3 miles easy with the juveniles. They're racing tomorrow, can't wait to see how they go.

Sunday
    Spent the day out in the Phoenix park, up first were the juveniles, some good results. Then I hung around for the seniors, really enjoyed it.

Mens race https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3H6D1y
    Womens race https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6fuoni

Got out in the evening for my own run
    10 miles at 7:57 pace, few tummy issues but made it home just in time. Bout an hour after my run I started puking, bed early.

Monday
    Woke up in great form but decided not to venture out and ran 6k on the treadmill, concentrating on cadence, felt good.

Tuesday
    5 miles at 7:47 pace, felt like I bounced around, pace was easy side of steady.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Treadmill cadence run for almost 40 minutes.

Thursday
    Almost an hour at 7:45 pace, felt great

Friday
    5k at 8:45, felt tired.

Booked the Waterford half marathon for December, really need to get at least 1 PB this year.

Advertisement