Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Charity You Respect ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Joe prim wrote: »
    And the best thing about such charities is that they're run by the animals themselves! No dirty old humans involved.

All jokes aside ive actually seen fully animal run charities in operation. They even had a doctor on staff. I think it was a swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Clare Crusaders Children's Clinic - it provides free Speech & Language therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and special education to 400 children with special needs (annually).

The clinic receives no government funding - it is funded through fundraising events and donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Children of chenobal charity. The ceo adi roche does not take any salary at all from the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Capuchin day center, aoibheanns pink tie, laura lynne, small charities that wouldn't get much state funding.

Just weighing in on the ceo thing its not something that bothers me in a large organisation as if the ceo is on say 150 but could easily make 250 working in a similar sized organisation elsewhere then thats enough of a concession. Plus if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

heldel00 wrote: »
    KBRT (Kevin Bell repatriation trust)
    Fantastic charity ran by the Bell family themselves. Have helped a frightening amount of Irish families bring loved ones home at a very difficult time.

KBRT info

Delighted to see someone give these guys a mention. I know 2 families in my small town who have had to rely on them, and when I had a family member very ill abroad last year, I thought we were going to have to call on them.

One of the families I know have told us about how they just make such a horrendous time much easier and more bearable. They basically tell the family to just concentrate on organising the funeral and they will do pretty much everything else in getting the body back home.

Such amazing people. The fundraising group I am chair of chose them as our main charity this year and am hoping to be able to send them a cheque for a few grand next week when we get paid for an event we put on.

I have a cousin heading off with MSF soon and will make sure to give him a donation towards the charity. Generally I like to keep it local. There is a fantastic cancer support group in my town that I like to donate to from time to time too. When it is local, it is easier to see the effect of the money in the area or on specific people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Clare Crusaders Children's Clinic - it provides free Speech & Language therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and special education to 400 children with special needs (annually).

The clinic receives no government funding - it is funded through fundraising events and donations.

See, this sort of thing bothers me. I'm sure they do fantastic work and all, but why are requirements like this left to charties to do, intead of being taken on by the HSE? And if we continue to fund such charities through donanations then there's even less onus on the HSE to take the responsibility.

I understand it's a sort of Catch 22 - you don't want to deprive a charity of funds when they do good work and there's nowhere else supplying the service, but the HSE will never take on their responsibility of doing the job while we do keep funding such charties.

Rachiee wrote: »
    Capuchin day center, aoibheanns pink tie, laura lynne, small charities that wouldn't get much state funding.

Just weighing in on the ceo thing its not something that bothers me in a large organisation as if the ceo is on say 150 but could easily make 250 working in a similar sized organisation elsewhere then thats enough of a concession. Plus if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Could you identify the CEOs that could make 250k "easily" elsewhere? My experience with some charities is that they involve a mix of genuinely concerned people on the ground who make nothing, and then those higher up who mine it as a money spinner and wouldn't last a minute in the world of real business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Could you identify the CEOs that could make 250k "easily" elsewhere? My experience with some charities is that they involve a mix of genuinely concerned people on the ground who make nothing, and then those higher up who mine it as a money spinner and wouldn't last a minute in the world of real business.

In this context the discussion on CEO salary related to the boss of the RNLI - an ex Vice Admiral with practical experience of running and supporting a fleet (as well as commanding it). He's paid £150k per year (a Vice Adm's salary is £155k per year).

In that particular case having a leader of that calibre 'at the helm' (pun intended) of what is a de facto emergency service (that regularly sends its volunteer crews into harm's way) with a logistics chain and 'command' structure to manage is probably a prerequisite for success so arguably that guy is worth his salary. He could probably have picked up a few gigs working as a consultant for BAe or Babcock as well as a few directorships on the boards of military contracting or shipping companies and made twice the money for a fraction of the effort, and none of the worry.

If he was someone admin/manager type person who had made a career of moving from charity to charity, then the case for that salary being paid to them is an awful lot shakier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

CEO salaries is definitely a big issue. If you're an organisation the size, scale and complexity of the RNLI, it'd be madness not to hire someone immensely qualified and pay them a commensurate salary to what they'd achieve in the private sector for a similar role (unless the ideal candidate happens to volunteer to do the job for nothing / less of course).

When you're talking about a small Irish charity, I really don't see the justification for a six figure salary. Most of these seem to be run by social "insiders" and, tbh, don't require a huge amount of expertise to manage, a decent administrator who'd command 40 - 60k in the private sector should be perfectly capable of it.

Odd that no-one on the thread thought to mention Boards.ie's own charity exercise! The SSF is one of the few charities I'd make an annual donation to!

http://www.santastrikeforce.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Walking past my local SVP de P centre there, a group of people smoking a joint after coming out having collected donated Christmas presents. The then proceed to jump into a 161 Pajero and drive off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

silverharp wrote: »
    RNLI , a model of selfless dedication and just people being awsome

We must have got the short straw in our part of the world on that front.

Our local crew has been ridden with petty cliques and jealousy since it was founded, culminating in the captain being bullied out of his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Aoibheanns Pink Tie do amazing work for families dealing with childhood cancer.

With no government support, they rely on donations. They only have 1 part time employee and the rest is volunteer, so if you're donating, 92.5% will go to the charity, with 1% on wages and 6.5% on expenses.

They helped my family this year and it was very supportive, and practical. A kit for hospital with essential stuff, as you're basically living there for months. Presents for kids on birthday and christmas. Gifts for siblings who are often on the sidelines. Decorating kids rooms. Financial support as working is very difficult when your kid is sick. Two big parties a year for the kids where you can guarantee everyone is well and it's not an infection risk. If there is a kid that cant make it they'll send presents. And just last week, a massive hamper of food was delivered to every family for christmas.

Says it all.

Walking past my local SVP de P centre there, a group of people smoking a joint after coming out having collected donated Christmas presents. The then proceed to jump into a 161 Pajero and drive off.
    Says it all.

Says it all.

So based on that one case, you think SVP should fold their tent and jack it in?

SVP don't ask, if you present yourself as being in need they'll help, just as Bro Kevin will supply you with food parcel and/or meal even if you rock up in a Louis Copeland suit and step out of a Merc.....as per his interview on Newstalk yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I always donate to NAMA when I can. They do some fantastic work for rehabilitating property developers back into the community. Their hand-outs to out-of-work solicitors is also admirable.

I am pretty into the Kiva model - but not sure that can be called "charity" as such given you get the money back. But I have my own account I "donate" to on it - and I am part of the Atheist Ireland group account too which has loaned a few 1000 euro to many projects now.

I guess my view of charity on a personal level is along the "give a man a fish - teach a man to fish" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am pretty into the Kiva model - but not sure that can be called "charity" as such given you get the money back. But I have my own account I "donate" to on it - and I am part of the Atheist Ireland group account too which has loaned a few 1000 euro to many projects now.

I guess my view of charity on a personal level is along the "give a man a fish - teach a man to fish" line.

Never heard of that before.

Just looked at it and i really like it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Says it all.

So based on that one case, you think SVP should fold their tent and jack it in?

SVP don't ask, if you present yourself as being in need they'll help, just as Bro Kevin will supply you with food parcel and/or meal even if you rock up in a Louis Copeland suit and step out of a Merc.....as per his interview on Newstalk yesterday.
    SVP. Have gone down a lot these days. Why do people who can afford to smoke dope and drive 16 reg vehicles receive generous help from SVP. Surely these are the very people who should be donating to the charity. Should this be pointed out to said persons ?. Also carry on of SVP in galway leaves sour taste in my mouth.

SVP. Have gone down a lot these days. Why do people who can afford to smoke dope and drive 16 reg vehicles receive generous help from SVP. Surely these are the very people who should be donating to the charity. Should this be pointed out to said persons ?. Also carry on of SVP in galway leaves sour taste in my mouth.

Unless you live in Galway any money you give to SVP will not be spent there.

Plus, if undeserving people present themselves as being in need, it's the the charity or their volunteers who have 'gone down' it's the people willing to defraud a charity.

Think of it this way if the charity starts to ask people questions about their circumstances and justify the basis of their need do you think that will encourage or discourage people from asking for help. Pride is a terrible thing, and there's no need to humiliate people looking for help. Unfortunately, that leaves the system open to abuse, but it's still better than doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Just on the subject of RNLI selflessness.

Today is the anniversary of the Kingstown(Dun Laoghaire) lifeboat disaster where 15 crew lost their lives.

Having being volunteer crew with the RNLI for years I know firsthand that the vast majority of rescues carried out by my station were not sailors in yachts, but fishermen, children and swimmers.

The CEO with the experience of Paul Bossier is exceptional, and wort every cent. Someone of his calibre is almost unheard of.

As a rough example, total RNLI running costs are £455,000 (100,000++ for Ireland included) per day. Bear in mind, that most stations have 20-30 crew and only one of these will recieve any payment (usually mechanic who is there 0800-1800). Over 95% of crew, staff, bucket shakers and fundraisers are unpaid.

Plus, if undeserving people present themselves as being in need, it's the the charity or their volunteers who have 'gone down' it's the people willing to defraud a charity.

Think of it this way if the charity starts to ask people questions about their circumstances and justify the basis of their need do you think that will encourage or discourage people from asking for help. Pride is a terrible thing, and there's no need to humiliate people looking for help. Unfortunately, that leaves the system open to abuse, but it's still better than doing nothing.
    You are entitled to your opinion . As I am mine. I know that all money given to children of chenobal charity goes directly to that charity. Adi roche claims no wage. Sadly SVP seems to go to people these days who are far better off than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More SVdeP paid my neighbours Illegal Dumping fine
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122508

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I'd only give to non Irish charities.

I dunno, I just suspect that behind pretty much any national charity now, there is a person or people just coining it.

The only people I know who work for charity ( an Irish charity ) are certainly coining it. It is a great business to be in for them. They are better off than most of the people who give to them ( nice house in good area, lots of foreign holidays, tons of fancy clothes etc...even though they do not work hard ). I do not know about other charities but would suspect they are mostly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That's all fair enough but I don't make a huge amount of money and so won't give my few bob to a charity which is so easy to defraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Jack and Jill
    Irish cancer society (work off 80cent a euro) on of the highest in Ireland
    And locally the penny dinners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Simon Community.

Advertisement