Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Charity You Respect ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Austria! wrote: »
    Surprised that people are ok with supporting a charity where the CEO makes £150k. For that to be ok, you'd have to think that you couldn't get someone to do that job just as well for only €70,000.

Why, should they get a cheaper CEO who may not be as effective and beneficial for the organisation as one €70k.

A good CEO will more than pay his way with revenues they will bring to the charity to provide whatever service/support that they offer.

I don't get why people do not understand this and get uptight about it.

Charities have to compete with commercial organisations for its staff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surprised that people are ok with supporting a charity where the CEO makes £150k. For that to be ok, you'd have to think that you couldn't get someone to do that job just as well for only €70,000.

You could I'm sure, but would they have the experience and expertise to run the charity as it needs to be run?

IMO for £150k, and the way the charity is run, they are getting a bargain.

It wasnt long ago that a charity here paid it's chief exec €240,000, a charity that generated €10,000 surplus out of €4,000,000 of lottery ticket sales!!

But yeah, lets slate the salary of the chief exec of one of the best run charities in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Doubt it. It may be a charity but if it didn't exist and was replaced with a paid-for service (e.g. a hugely expanded coastguard) you'd pay a lot more for someone to head that up.

Put it this way - the guy who is CEO is an ex-Vice Admiral in the RN, who previously served as Director-General Logistics (Fleet), Chief of Fleet Support, Deputy Commander-in-Chief Fleet, and Chief Naval Warfare Officer.

Eminently qualified to run a sea-based life saving service scattered around these islands wouldn't you say? He could probably earn multiples of that in a less stressful job with some shipping line or military contractor.

Current salary for a Vice Admiral in the RN is £155k.

This is from their website.....
    The RNLI has worked hard to ensure reward for all staff is fair and appropriate, benchmarking against the charity and commercial sectors. Our priority is to attract the best candidates and get the right person in the right role at all levels of the RNLI.

The chief executive's pay review and any subsequent pay award is part of the same collective pay and approval process that applies to all other staff and he had the same pension arrangements, including contribution levels, as all other staff whilst he was a member of the scheme. The chief executive has access to an RNLI-funded car, in line with the policy for those who are required to undertake significant travel for the charity. The salary is determined by a sub-committee of the Board of Trustees, all of whom are unpaid.

In some respects it is difficult to compare the RNLI to other charities. We have tens of thousands of volunteers, lifeboat crew, lifeguards, fundraisers and others dedicated to saving lives at sea in a highly professional, technologically advanced and often risky business.

Our increasingly sophisticated lifesaving operation encompasses lifeboats, lifeguards, flood rescue, international, fundraising, engineering, boatbuilding, safety and education. We are a professional emergency service.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Irish Guide Dogs.

For the work that they do with the dogs, that allows the dogs to do what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ask that question when you fall off a bridge on your way home some night..

We are an island nation, you don't need to sail to end up in trouble in the water.

My dad was a helm with the RNLI for years. The hours they put in, as volunteers, is staggering.

When we're all tucked up in our beds, these guys get called out, sometimes in storm force conditions, on missions to rescue those in peril on the sea, with no guarantee they will return themselves. They really are exceptionally cool and courageous people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The Simon Community
    The Merchants Quay project

Also the Civil Service Third World Fund as I know people who work for it and every penny goes to the Third World, and all on sustainable projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It wasnt long ago that a charity here paid it's chief exec €240,000, a charity that generated €10,000 surplus out of €4,000,000 of lottery ticket sales!!

But yeah, lets slate the salary of the chief exec of one of the best run charities in the world.

They may have asked Miss Piggy to move on,,, But the damage that woman caused to the reputations of Irish run charities lives on..

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I never knew the RNLI was such a popular charity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well, they are good at what they do, they are honest, they are transparent, and they don't piss away donations on personal spend.

They are probably the only one I would have any time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Big with the sailing crowd.

Do great work - but not short of money.

Can someone clear up - what the coast guard do V RNLI.

And life guards - they part of RNLI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

St. Francis Hospice

seen the work they do firsthand, really worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Always give to SVP and I know its not perfect, they are not there to investigate clams nor should they. I make a point of not giving to chuggers or door to door sellers or any charities that employs them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. Francis Hospice

seen the work they do firsthand, really worthwhile

+1
    Volunteer with them too.
    They survive because of donations and volunteers.
    I particularly like the fact that they do not presume any religious affiliation and do not push it on anyone. You could not wish for a family member to be in better hands towards (and at, if they wish) the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Heart Children Ireland.

1 in 100 children are diagnosed with a congenital heart defect in Ireland. They do amazing work providing a clinical psychologist, they only have two paid staff members and have no government funding whatsoever. They fundraise for the heart centre in Crumlin hospital (which by the way was built using only donations through CMRF, another worthy charity, and golfer Graeme McDowell) and provide a speech and language therapist for the children there.

They were an amazing help to us when my daughter was diagnosed with a CHD in 2012 and when she had her surgery in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A lot of charities will appreciate a donation of your time particularly if you have a skill or talent.

It's not always apparent but many charities have a hidden army of volunteers who save a small fortune by being involved in activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I was really put off by SVP about 5 or 6 years ago. I was dropping a load of baby stuff into their place in Limerick. It was used but all in good condition and not rubbish. As I took it in, I saw a guy leave with a good buggy I had dropped in and throw it in the boot of his 06 Car. I thought it was ironic that I was taking it out of my clapped out 98 Passat and yet this guy was taking it for nothing.

In defence of the staff in there, I could see that they were p1ssed off with this guy and his family and seemed to know him well. He was basically trying to take everything I brought in and they were doing their best to stop him. He didn't see it as charity at all, it was a way of life to him and his family. Get what you can for nothing from SVP, The State or any other suckers.

It is a pity because I think the staff were 100% genuine and were just as frustrated as me but just felt they couldn't say no.

A few years later when I had a few more bits that we were finished with, I ended up dropping them to a shelter for women with kids who were escaping abusive relationships and I felt the stuff went to a much better cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I don't get involved with or give to any human charities at all, ever, I will only give to animal charities. They are usually small, local ones & I do pretty extensive googling on them before I give anything, as I have been stung before.

My only standing order is to the Kildare Animal Foundation, but I've given to or helped out (and think highly of) A Dog's Life, Dogs in Distress, the Donkey Sanctuary & My Lovely Horse Rescue. All do amazing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I don't get involved with or give to any human charities at all, ever, I will only give to animal charities. They are usually small, local ones & I do pretty extensive googling on them before I give anything, as I have been stung before.

My only standing order is to the Kildare Animal Foundation, but I've given to or helped out (and think highly of) A Dog's Life, Dogs in Distress, the Donkey Sanctuary & My Lovely Horse Rescue. All do amazing work.

So....charity hipster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

So....charity hipster?

Nope... Just prefer to have a bit of experience with them & meet some of the staff! I don't trust most charities :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

KBRT (Kevin Bell repatriation trust)
    Fantastic charity ran by the Bell family themselves. Have helped a frightening amount of Irish families bring loved ones home at a very difficult time.

• Advertisement

Big with the sailing crowd.

Do great work - but not short of money.

Can someone clear up - what the coast guard do V RNLI.

And life guards - they part of RNLI ?

Coastguard do coastal and close inshore work and provide the SAR helis - RNLI do inshore and offshore rescues. Coastguard also monitor for emergency calls and cover other incidents like marine pollution.

If the RNLI didn't exist we'd need to greatly expand the coastguard and we'd not get neatly the coverage we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

A lot of charities will appreciate a donation of your time particularly if you have a skill or talent.

It's not always apparent but many charities have a hidden army of volunteers who save a small fortune by being involved in activities.

And behind the army of volunteers there is a team of professionals on fat salaries. Never forget them with your donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Riva10 wrote: »

And behind the army of volunteers there is a team of professionals on fat salaries. Never forget them with your donations.

Or realistically there's lots of professionals on a salary not particularly different from anyone else.
    I'm a social care worker in a charity and earn an ordinary salary and do the usual like pay my bills , mortgage, look after my kids and wife and drive my 13 year old car.
    That's what my "fat salary" does.

Riva10 wrote: »

The little bit of volunteering I do is for a charity run with 2 full time and 3 or 4 partime staff. If they're on fat salaries, they're bloody good at hiding it!

Don't tar all charities with the same brush dipped in a few notorious cases ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

SVP

Concern

MSF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I mentioned my mistrust of SVP in another thread and got absolutely torn to shreds.

Some people's faith in SVP is almost pious.

I urge anyone who is giving to a charity to research where that donation is going. Better yet, get personally involved.
    Was it something to do with the galway branch. If so I supported you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Mine would be MSF, the DCM Homeless Ministry, and Teach Solais LGBT resource centre.
    Never heard of these charities. What's their full titles as a matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I always donate to small local charities, mainly animal related.

I've a small monthly donation to the Blue Cross (since they helped my Mum a few years back when she found a little stray dog that she wantedto keep but could not afford the vets fees being a pensioner)

Did my good deed today and donated my Christmas gift from work directly to the local animal charity.

What you've never had, you can't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

And the best thing about such charities is that they're run by the animals themselves! No dirty old humans involved.

Advertisement