Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Charity You Respect ?

Options
  • 19-12-2016 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭

It is a time of year that you think of giving to others. Looking for a bit of help with something.

And fair pay to the SSF above doing amazing stuff.

But the charity sector has been rocked the last few years.

Does anyone know and name a few charities that they still have incredible respect for and still have 100 % confidence in.

Is terrible what a few bad eggs have done.

Maybe AH not the place for this - but you get honest opinions here.

Always had an impression that SVP are unbelievably good ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi,
    I'd agree with SVP. I also do a fair bit for Debra Ireland. They're a small charity and are run very well. Their Patient Ambassador, Emma Fogarty won Person of the Year a few years ago. She's been dealt a really tough hand in life but she is one of the most positive and inspirational people I've ever had the privilege of meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MSF. They go to the worst hellholes on the planet and put their lives on the line to help people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I do not respect or donate to any charity with religious affiliations.

I have huge respect for and donate to Doctors Without Borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Grayson wrote: »
    MSF. They go to the worst hellholes on the planet and put their lives on the line to help people.

Yes - always amazed with them - need something more local. Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Lost some faith in charities, from aggressive street collectors to dodgy officials :(

SVP I still have some trust in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The trouble is the SVP is that their policy seems to be that anyone who asks for a handout gets a handout. And that sadly leaves them open to chancers who just keep asking and getting from them.
    SVP used to be my charity of choice but not anymore for that reason.
    Faith in the whole charity sector is gone. I just give to local community causes now.

Seen this and as told about them

http://www.aoibhneas.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The SVP so good work but it's the chancers that abuse it that let it down, for every asshole that drunk their dole leaving no money for food for the wains there's a genuine case too proud or too ashamed to ask for help, but you can't blame the charity for that.

The RNLI is the only charity I donate to, apart from local community and sports organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Winterlong wrote: »
    The trouble is the SVP is that their policy seems to be that anyone who asks for a handout gets a handout. And that sadly leaves them open to chancers who just keep asking and getting from them.
    Faith in the whole charity sector is gone. I just give to local community causes now.

I dont see that as a negative.

Charities dont need to Vet the needy. They are not social welfare.

If you have to humble yourself and ask then you deserve it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I mentioned my mistrust of SVP in another thread and got absolutely torn to shreds.

Some people's faith in SVP is almost pious.

I urge anyone who is giving to a charity to research where that donation is going. Better yet, get personally involved.

• Advertisement

I'd only give to non Irish charities.

I dunno, I just suspect that behind pretty much any national charity now, there is a person or people just coining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RNLI , a model of selfless dedication and just people being awsome

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another for the SVP here. I have some experience of the local folks and they put in the hours and effort. The Samaritans another.
    You think that because you're not a chancer with a neck as hard as diamond. Those kinda people have zero humility or "shame" when it comes to free stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Needy for a bottle of Smirnoff and twenty Mayfair doesn't equal needy for food and heat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The SVP so good work but it's the chancers that abuse it that let it down, for every asshole that drunk their dole leaving no money for food for the wains there's a genuine case too proud or too ashamed to ask for help, but you can't blame the charity for that.

I know a woman that does exactly that. She's a friend of my missus.She was up in ours last Christmas complaining that the svp only gave her a voucher for the supermarket.She called them 'miserable bastards'.I really wanted to boot her in the face :mad:

I know a woman that does exactly that. She's a friend of my missus.She was up in ours last Christmas complaining that the svp only gave her a voucher for the supermarket.She called them 'miserable bastards'.I really wanted to boot her in the face :mad:

:eek:

The local butcher here cooks the turkeys for the SVP and delivers them personally on Christmas morning so they can't be exchanged for a carryout somewhere the day before. Lot more work for him but at least he knows his donation is doing what it's supposed to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RNLI

They are not just helping someone out, they are putting their own life at risk to help someone out, and sadly in many cases, have lost their life in the act of trying to save others.

Christmas opening hours: On call 24/7 365 days a year.

The volunteers show immense bravery in what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The local butcher here cooks the turkeys for the SVP and delivers them personally on Christmas morning so they can't be exchanged for a carryout somewhere the day before. Lot more work for him but at least he knows his donation is doing what it's supposed to.

Thats more sensible,but not entirely flawless.The people who really need help would rather get help confidentially you'd imagine,so in a rural locale it wouldn't be ideal.The butcher for a start would know who was getting a dig out,the baker would soon catch wind of it and it wouldn't take long before the candlestick maker was also in on the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Winterlong wrote: »

Very little time for the vinnies - they probably do some good alright, as in their heart is in the right place, but that's just not enough, by and large they are just taken for a ride by chancers. I wouldn't give them two pence.

Laura lynne childrens hospice, for the simple reason that I just can't imagine a harder job in the world than to work in a place like that. I wouldn't be able, and I hope to god I never even have to set foot in the place.
    I have nothing but admiration for the people who keep a place like that going.

• Advertisement

Thats more sensible,but not entirely flawless.The people who really need help would rather get help confidentially you'd imagine,so in a rural locale it wouldn't be ideal.The butcher for a start would know who was getting a dig out,the baker would soon catch wind of it and it wouldn't take long before the candlestick maker was also in on the act.

Well yeah, the butcher in this case is a SVP volunteer anyway but I know what you mean.

The sad truth is that a large number of those most in need of the help of the SVP never approach them at all, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Can't stand Amnesty International for the way they collect on the streets.

I'm more likely to donate to someone sitting down at a table and not hassling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Inner City Helping Homeless. Although in the past year they don't seem connfined to the inner city. I regularly drop off food, toiletries and clothes with them and sometimes throughout the year donate money. They are operating on the frontline of the homeless issue and are always so grateful of donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

The RNLI, family Carers Ireland and SVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

What's the craic with the lads collecting for Irish soup kitchens. Are they legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

What's the craic with the lads collecting for Irish soup kitchens. Are they legit?

There is a thread somewhere about them. Personally I wouldn't give them the time of day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MSF have been criticised heavily by Frontex, the European Borders Agency, for essentially "colluding" with smugglers in the Mediterranean. https://www.ft.com/content/3e6b6450-c1f7-11e6-9bca-2b93a6856354

I give to the Simon community and SVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Basecamp in Middle Abbey Street had a great charity system set up in their store yesterday. Beside the checkout they had a good sleeping bag which you could buy for €25 when paying for your goods which they'd then pass on to one of the homeless charities (Peter McVerry, Simon etc.).

Was in getting a Christmas present for the Father in Law who's into outdoors stuff and added one to the shopping. It's a great way to be able to directly help, safe in the knowledge that your donation can't be siphoned off into obscene wages for some insider's wife's hobby.

RNLI

They are not just helping someone out, they are putting their own life at risk to help someone out, and sadly in many cases, have lost their life in the act of trying to save others.

Christmas opening hours: On call 24/7 365 days a year.

The volunteers show immense bravery in what they do.

CEO makes a nice Stg£150k per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

My parent's local county SPCA does wonders on a shoestring. I'd imagine many of the other SPCAs across the country are similar.

Advertisement