Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Charity You Respect ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

CEO makes a nice Stg£150k per annum.

About a quarter of one day of their yearly budget. I can live with that, and I'm sure anyone that knows anything about the great work they do can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

For me it's St.Francis Hospice or Harold's Cross Hospice. The work they do is amazing (having witnessed it first hand) and the charitable donations really do keep the place going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So what?

Do you realise how little money this is a for a CEO?

Do you see how big the RNLI is?

Do you not understand that they would not be as successful if not managed proplerly?

The notion that people should not be paid for working for a charity is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

SVP services chancers exclusively in our area. (well maybe not exclusively) but the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Winterlong wrote: »
    The trouble is the SVP is that their policy seems to be that anyone who asks for a handout gets a handout. And that sadly leaves them open to chancers who just keep asking and getting from them.
    SVP used to be my charity of choice but not anymore for that reason.
    Faith in the whole charity sector is gone. I just give to local community causes now.

A friend helped deliver some svp hampers two years ago and aparrently quite a few had alcohol in them, it was purchased too not donated.
    I wouldn't give money to be spent on Alcohol.

SOSAD is a local group I do some work with and have huge respect for what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ronald McDonald House have a network of centers across the World and one at Crumlin hospital in Dublin

They were a huge help to me and my family when my daughter was seriously sick in Crumlin hospital. The families who stay there (24 every day) get bed, a lot of their meals cooked by volunteers, the other normal facilities they would have at home (food storage, laundry etc etc) and only pay €10 per day and it costs over €400,000 per year to run it - making a shortfall of around €325,000 per year. And I don't know how we would have managed without them.

Furthermore, they are building a new facility more than twice as big (to hold 53 families) at the site of the new National Children's Hospital to open in 2020 which will cost a lot more to run and also has a building cost of around €16 Million which the charity has to raise themselves.

Please donate if you can.

http://rmhc.ie/how-can-you-help/donate-make-a-payment/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Donkey Sanctuary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

_Brian wrote: »
    A friend helped deliver some svp hampers two years ago and aparrently quite a few had alcohol in them, it was purchased too not donated.

SOSAD is a local group I do some work with and have huge respect for what they do.

It is possible to be poor and not be an alcoholic. If there's a bottle of wine or a can of beer in the hamper I don't se the problem. I have no issue with a poor person having a glass of beer with his/her Christmas dinner just like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

_Brian wrote: »

Totally agree that alcohol should not be supplied. I wouldn't give SVP a penny anyway, I love how they decided to rebrand to SVP once the catholic church fell out of favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I forgot to mention Dog's Trust in my first post.

• Advertisement

MSF/Doctors without Borders, Simon in Ireland, and a few others that do unglamorous and thankless work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What is wrong with a bottle of wine in a Christmas hamper. Just because people are needy does not mean that they can't have a drink if given.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This is a charity I have great respect for. So many people count on the services of Bro. Kevin and the Day Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My husband works in grocery retail, his store was approached by SVP some years back to provide vouchers that would be given to the needy. At the time, their shop didn’t do vouchers, so they were made up specially. He said it was disheartening to see how many of them were redeemed on tobacco, alcohol and lotto. They actually added a line to the T&C’s the next year that they were food only. I know SVP does an awful lot of good work, but as others have said, there are a lot of chancers and I’ve always been a bit slower to give to them since then. .

I tend to give mainly to animal charities, there are some small rescues round the country doing amazing work. I really admire the work Peter McVerry and Penny Dinners do too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Mine would be MSF, the DCM Homeless Ministry, and Teach Solais LGBT resource centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have a standing donation order to the SVP, so those guys. Also huge respect to the Simon charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

About a quarter of one day of their yearly budget. I can live with that, and I'm sure anyone that knows anything about the great work they do can

That's over 200 million a year?

I had no idea they were that size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Dog's Trust and ISPCA for me, I give monthly to both. I like dogs and can't stand animal cruelty. And as a bonus, instead of aggressive street collectors they tend to just sit around in Grafton street with a bunch of dogs you can play with.

I have to admit I haven't really researched exactly if they're dodgy at all. I hope not. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Winterlong wrote: »
    The trouble is the SVP is that their policy seems to be that anyone who asks for a handout gets a handout. And that sadly leaves them open to chancers who just keep asking and getting from them.
    SVP used to be my charity of choice but not anymore for that reason.
    Faith in the whole charity sector is gone. I just give to local community causes now.

Yes.

SVP policy is not to question the potential recipients.

Given the nature of Irish society, this is extremely naive.

As a result, I can not support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ncmc wrote: »
    My husband works in grocery retail, his store was approached by SVP some years back to provide vouchers that would be given to the needy. At the time, their shop didn’t do vouchers, so they were made up specially. He said it was disheartening to see how many of them were redeemed on tobacco, alcohol and lotto. They actually added a line to the T&C’s the next year that they were food only. I know SVP does an awful lot of good work, but as others have said, there are a lot of chancers and I’ve always been a bit slower to give to them since then. .

Yes, correct.

I would support long-term welfare payments being partly made on debit cards, which could not purchase bads like alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc.

Not a popular opinion, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's over 200 million a year?

I had no idea they were that size!

There's a big sea from the top of the Shetland's to the bottom of the Channel Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's a big sea from the top of the Shetland's to the bottom of the Channel Islands

True. That's what makes them islands I suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Would anyone have a take on Plan Ireland?

murpho999 wrote: »
    So what?

Do you realise how little money this is a for a CEO?

Do you see how big the RNLI is?

Do you not understand that they would not be as successful if not managed proplerly?

The notion that people should not be paid for working for a charity is ridiculous.

I didn't mention anything about not being paid.

I merely said Stg£150k is a nice wage. Here is the direct quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

RNLI are amazing what they do, but they are one of the best funded out there.

They are typically supported by the wealthy sailing community. Income £182 million.

I know you probably shouldn't compare charities - but some of the causes mentioned above are families with little or nothing. Is RNLI not just a support network for the sailing community ?

Sorry - maybe that is harsh. But we are talking here about families that will have little or no christmas - some with even food poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

The SVP so good work but it's the chancers that abuse it that let it down, for every asshole that drunk their dole leaving no money for food for the wains there's a genuine case too proud or too ashamed to ask for help, but you can't blame the charity for that.

The RNLI is the only charity I donate to, apart from local community and sports organisations.

trust me it is not only the drunks that apply for it.................

I know plenty of "single mothers" who go crying that they have nothing, get hampers and €100 - €150 in vouchers and have live in partners......their combined income being the guts of €700 - €1000 a wk.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Dog's Trust and ISPCA for me, I give monthly to both. I like dogs and can't stand animal cruelty. And as a bonus, instead of aggressive street collectors they tend to just sit around in Grafton street with a bunch of dogs you can play with.

I have to admit I haven't really researched exactly if they're dodgy at all. I hope not. Anyone know?

I recently stepped in some dogßhit, so I wouldn't give these lads the literal steam off my urine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I volunteered with SVP. They do amazing work but unfortunately they do get taken advantage of. I left after seeing food parcels being given to people who were broke because they had bought a 400 Euro communion dress or an X Box for their child's birthday.

Advertisement