Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Charity You Respect ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

eviltwin wrote: »
    I volunteered with SVP. They do amazing work but unfortunately they do get taken advantage of. I left after seeing food parcels being given to people who were broke because they had bought a 400 Euro communion dress or an X Box for their child's birthday.

If you ask me (which you didn't) the SVP subsidises the stupid and lazy more than help the actual poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dog's Trust and ISPCA for me, I give monthly to both. I like dogs and can't stand animal cruelty. And as a bonus, instead of aggressive street collectors they tend to just sit around in Grafton street with a bunch of dogs you can play with.

I have to admit I haven't really researched exactly if they're dodgy at all. I hope not. Anyone know?

I heard that the dogs actually spend the vet fees on drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

steddyeddy wrote:
    I heard that the dogs actually spend the vet fees on drink.

I won't begrudge any dog who wants a couple of fags and a drink. Just because they're needy dogs doesn't mean they don't deserve a few cans at Christmas .

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Salvation Army are a sound bunch IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is RNLI not just a support network for the sailing community ?

No,

They also rescue fishermen, hill walkers, swimmers, canoeists, animals, cruise ship passengers, cargo ship crew and many many others. They don't discriminate based on someone's wealth.

Not all sailors are wealthy, it is quite easy to sail on a budget, in a dinghy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No,

They also rescue fishermen, hill walkers, swimmers, canoeists, animals, cruise ship passengers, cargo ship crew and many many others. They don't discriminate based on someone's wealth.

Not all sailors are wealthy, it is quite easy to sail on a budget, in a dinghy.

In a life boat?:eek:

In a life boat?:eek:

Yes, surprisingly enough some hills are located next to the sea, and sometimes people fall off hills and end up in the water, or on a beach/rocks only accessible by the water.

Ah, hill fallers, I'm with you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My charity of choice would be Aoibheann's Pink Tie- they help struggling families of children with cancer.
    I have a family member whose 11 year old daughter battled (and thankfully beat) leukamia in recent years; APT did things like pay their motor tax for a year, and even sent them to EuroDisney when her treatment came to an end.
    They're all about easing the burden; having a sick child is an expensive business. Just ferrying her to and from appointments added up- fuel, tolls etc. They're not a well-off family, so it did hit them in the pocket-but obviously the bills were the last thing on their minds for 2 years of treatment.

Can't say enough great things about them.

even if they don't hit the water and end up on a cliff where a rescue helicopter can retrieve them, water support will still most likely be required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

CEO makes a nice Stg£150k per annum.

The ceo manages an annual fund of over £147million, compare that salary to other charity ceo's and the fund they manage and that is pittance!

Less than 1% of people involved in the rnli are paid, over 82c in a Euro is used for lifesaving..this is one of the best ratios of any charity in Ireland or the uk or world wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

For me it's RNLI and Samaritans only, good causes and only a handful of paid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Enable Ireland,
    they are invaluable to a very ill little lady close to me, when the HSE regularly fall short.
    SVP
    A local hospice.
    RNLI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Crumlin and Make A Wish.

Crumlin saved my brothers life when he had cancer at 2. He was diagnosed on his second birthday so the day before, they baked a cake and allowed the whole family in for a party. The cake was huge so most of it was given out to the rest of the ward. It wasn't even the cancer ward he was in because that was completely full.

Make A Wish for similar reasons. It took us all to Orlando, with entry and passes to all the theme parks, and stay in a fantastic place called Give Kids the World. It was genuinely an unforgettable experience.

I like to give back what I can when they gave us so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I only give to Barretstown at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I support the Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association who do very good work on a small budget and the local hospice who have a tough job. Couldn't do that work myself.

mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any charity working towards reducing suicide. Pieta House, Samaritins, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    The ceo manages an annual fund of over £147million, compare that salary to other charity ceo's and the fund they manage and that is pittance!

Less than 1% of people involved in the rnli are paid, over 82c in a Euro is used for lifesaving..this is one of the best ratios of any charity in Ireland or the uk or world wild.

I still think the RNLI is a very wealthy charity and the contributions they get are typically from people making that lifestyle choice. The RNLI raise amongst their own community for themselves and that is fair enough. They do great work, rescue anyone - but it is really a support of your own lifestyle.

I personally am not a fan of charities that try provide a parallel service to our own health service.
    We all know we need 2 new major centralised hospitals - do it politically or by tax -not by raising cash from the public.

Very interested in MSF and other charities in the local extreme poverty situations.

I myself couldn't support animals before humans. Maybe in the neutering area - there are so many people out there that simply should not have dogs.
    I'd support something that would take these dogs away.

Interesting posts and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

flazio wrote: »
    Any charity working towards reducing suicide. Pieta House, Samaritins, etc.

I personally think - they have been incredibly supported already.

I still think the RNLI is a very wealthy charity and the contributions they get are typically from people making that lifestyle choice. The RNLI raise amongst their own community for themselves and that is fair enough. They do great work, rescue anyone - but it is really a support of your own lifestyle.

utter nonsense.

I like going to the beach, and in some cases for a swim, does that put me a class above someone who doesn't?

so the fishermen that go to sea to catch fish are doing it because they like going out in storms? or are they doing it because the opportunities for employment are limited in their area, and fishing provides a source of income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

St Vincent de Paul

If you ask me (which you didn't) the SVP subsidises the stupid and lazy more than help the actual poor.

It's always been that way - anywhere that basically operates on a "free money, who wants some?" basis is bound to be taken for a ride. The place is a joke, funded by people who want to "feel" like they're helping without actually giving much of a toss whether they are or not.

It's similar to giving money to the church so they can feed the poor and needy, without questioning the unimaginable stockpile of wealth they hoard in their own private country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

RNLI are amazing what they do, but they are one of the best funded out there.

They are typically supported by the wealthy sailing community. Income £182 million.

I know you probably shouldn't compare charities - but some of the causes mentioned above are families with little or nothing. Is RNLI not just a support network for the sailing community ?

Sorry - maybe that is harsh. But we are talking here about families that will have little or no christmas - some with even food poverty.
    Ask that question when you fall off a bridge on your way home some night..

We are an island nation, you don't need to sail to end up in trouble in the water.

My dad was a helm with the RNLI for years. The hours they put in, as volunteers, is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CEO makes a nice Stg£150k per annum.

It's a lot, but it's not much ;)

You really think a deckhand on a fishing vessel earning minimum wage who gets washed overboard is engaging in a lifestyle choice? Or the crew of some third world flagged cargo ship that founders?

Plus the RNLI are, unfortunately, often engaged in recovery instead of rescue helping to bring some closure to grieving families instead of leaving bodies for the sea to claim.

I always thought it was altruism at its finest what they do - they often go out in conditions where they are the 'last responder' - in other words if they screw up there's no one left to come rescue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

YES to: RNLI, Simon, Capuchin Day Centre, St Francis Hospice, Fr Peter McVerry

Dodge: any charity employing 'chuggers' on the street, such as Concern, Amnesty; people with only one copy of a magazine (which they won't give you), people selling lines for 'drugs awareness' who go round pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Yes; Charities that want your time as much as want your money - Simon springs to mind, local charities, charities that are collecting for a specific thing.

No - Charities that only want your money, charities that let people go into pubs to collect, charities that knock on your door, charities that use kids to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Touch Ireland is run entirely by volunteers who take nothing from donations and I know one of the guys who runs it, so I support them.

The other is ABI Ireland (strictly speaking a business) which started out as a charity called the Peter Bradley Foundation, mainly because my son's a beneficiary.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Touch Ireland is run entirely by volunteers who take nothing from donations and I know one of the guys who runs it, so I support them.

The other is ABI Ireland (strictly speaking a business) which started out as a charity called the Peter Bradley Foundation, mainly because my son's a beneficiary.

Not to be confused with AIB which is also technically a business, but in reality only survives on handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Surprised that people are ok with supporting a charity where the CEO makes £150k. For that to be ok, you'd have to think that you couldn't get someone to do that job just as well for only €70,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I always give to SVP

Advertisement