Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is the truth, Sinn Fein aren't fooling anyone with half a brain. The guy looks like he is dying, why don't they just say so, Sinn Fein don't resign over corruption or scandals as they enjoy that part of political life as much as the next party.

The right wing seem to be obsessed with opponents dying. Honestly it looks like a play to force an election. They know Foster has taken a hammering over this so why not milk it. Granted since when have people been elected in NI based on competency over religion/border politics.

I can only hope that both the dup and sinn Fein get wiped out by it as impossible as that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

The shinners were enjoying the fallout of RHI scandal with the unionists ripping each other asunder and decided it was a good time to make a move against them but with McGuinness clearly in no condition to fight an election they decided to bring forward his retirement and spin it into a resignation over the issue.
    They may have scored an own goal though as this time yesterday we we talking Barbour the RHI/DUP scandal, today we're talking about Martin McGuinness's I'll health the the politically engineered ploy behind his retirement/resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it is safe to say that for some obsessives this was always going to be about SF and somehow their fault.

However the reality is, when Martin retires after a long career the DUP are going to have to go to the people and answer for Arlenes suicidal Brexit gaffe and RHI not to mention the NAMA debacle.
    The main damage to them will not be done by SF but by other unionists.

Jeffery Donaldson sets out his stall on Morning Ireland.
    This is all going to be about 'Stopping a SF MLA becoming First Minister', nothing to do with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

SF and DUP reps on Morning Ireland this morning... I personally believe SF has the higher ground here, but they went straight in on the personal attack talking point of calling everyone "arrogant"... I just don't see how this is SF's strategy both from their posters on here and in real life! It's trolling.

I mean - it totally worked this morning and the DUP representative went off the rails immediately; but it's not very mature politically.

I would have firmly supported SF in relation to their decision to withdraw, but they're not winning any support by acting like children.

• Advertisement

SF and DUP reps on Morning Ireland this morning... I personally believe SF has the higher ground here, but they went straight in on the personal attack talking point of calling everyone "arrogant"... I just don't see how this is SF's strategy both from their posters on here and in real life! It's trolling.

I mean - it totally worked this morning and the DUP representative went off the rails immediately; but it's not very mature politically.

I would have firmly supported SF in relation to their decision to withdraw, but they're not winning any support by acting like children.

In fairness, the first words out of Jeffery sounded like we were back in the 70's.

The problem with the DUP is arrogance. Arrogance about their past and arrogance about their so called fiscal rectitude etc when there are allegations flying around about fingers being caught in a number of very lucrative tills.

They are going to be called on it and rightly so in my opinion. It is blocking any progress in the GFA and government.

In fairness, the first words out of Jeffery sounded like we were back in the 70's.

The problem with the DUP is arrogance. Arrogance about their past and arrogance about their so called fiscal rectitude etc when there are allegations flying around about fingers being caught in a number of very lucrative tills.

They are going to be called on it and rightly so in my opinion. It is blocking any progress in the GFA and government.
    Look, I'm not saying he came across well at all - SF just needs to learn how to be more clinical in their strikes. To the average Southerner (arguably not fully clued in on all the goings on up North), I thought SF came across poorly this morning when yesterday evening I was fully supporting them.

Look, I'm not saying he came across well at all - SF just needs to learn how to be more clinical in their strikes. To the average Southerner (arguably not fully clued in on all the goings on up North), I thought SF came across poorly this morning when yesterday evening I was fully supporting them.

Political and religious 'arrogance' is the problem though.
    I prefer politicians who call things as they see them myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I think it is safe to say that for some obsessives this was always going to be about SF and somehow their fault.

However the reality is, when Martin retires after a long career the DUP are going to have to go to the people and answer for Arlenes suicidal Brexit gaffe and RHI not to mention the NAMA debacle.
    The DUP will still remain the largest party. I don't see Sinn Fein making up enough ground for that change, in such a short period of time.

Jeffery Donaldson sets out his stall on Morning Ireland.
    This is all going to be about 'Stopping a SF MLA becoming First Minister', nothing to do with issues.
    And it hasn't been that since, gosh, 2007!? The system does not work, it needs changed.

• Advertisement

The DUP will still remain the largest party. I don't see Sinn Fein making up enough ground for that change, in such a short period of time.

For what change?

I said they will be damaged by other unionists. All the UUP will want here is to chip away another bit at the DUP vote and to stoke some internal fighting in the DUP.

For what change?

I said they will be damaged by other unionists. All the UUP will want here is to chip away another bit at the DUP vote and to stoke some internal fighting in the DUP.
    DUP won 38 seats in 2016, UUP won 16. How many are the UUP going to take off the DUP? The DUP would need an absolute collapse!

DUP won 38 seats in 2016, UUP won 16. How many are the UUP going to take off the DUP? The DUP would need an absolute collapse!

Which bit of 'chip away another bit' are you having bother with there?

Which bit of 'chip away another bit' are you having bother with there?
    Sinn Fein can't possibly ever lose any seats then.

Based on the last election, I'd say UUP could contest max. 4 additional seats from DUP: E. Antrim, S. Antrim, Strangford and Lagan Valley.

Sinn Fein can't possibly ever lose any seats then.

Who said that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

DUP now have 37 to SFs 28. Should SF be able to add a few themselves and the UUP or TUV take a few from the DUP then that gap could close pretty quickly.

Based on the last election, I'd say UUP could contest max. 4 additional seats from DUP: E. Antrim, S. Antrim, Strangford and Lagan Valley.

It will be interesting to see if they can close the gaps elsewhere. I would imagine the UUP are very buoyant about their prospects.

Jayop wrote: »
    DUP now have 37 to SFs 28. Should SF be able to add a few themselves and the UUP or TUV take a few from the DUP then that gap could close pretty quickly.
    Depends who Sinn Fein would put forward as potential First Minister. If it isn't a terrorist, then maybe the Unionist community might be swayed to the UUP a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think the question for the next assembly and the 2 Governments is to look at joint authority as the default option when the Assembly is not running.

Parties like the DUP will never tolerate a fenian around the place, no matter the background. Look at how they treated the SDLP.

The only certainty is that through not wanting to make things work they will ensure a worse deal from their point of view in a few years time.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    I think the question for the next assembly and the 2 Governments is to look at joint authority as the default option when the Assembly is not running.

Parties like the DUP will never tolerate a fenian around the place, no matter the background. Look at how they treated the SDLP.

The only certainty is that through not wanting to make things work they will ensure a worse deal from their point of view in a few years time.

The two governments need to get tough here, they need to call out the footdraggers and those playing the sectarian card to thwart progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

It will be interesting to see how the DUP and Sinn Fein can work together after this. Sinn Fein must have thought long and hard about pulling out. I'd guess they have felt that way for a quite some time. Perhaps even before Foster became first minister. As things stand at the min, they are just part of the NI government and year after year the people are becoming more settled in a British Northern Ireland. Maybe they calculate if direct rule comes back and a hard brexit happens that may open people more to a United Ireland. Or at least get the nationalist people thinking about it again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The two governments need to get tough here, they need to call out the footdraggers and those playing the sectarian card to thwart progress.
    What about the misogyny card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This always stuck out for me too. I've a healthy disdain for all politicians so have no allegiance to Sinn Féin or any party, but there's a huge double standard even from the media in the Republic.

When Sinn Féin do anything wrong they're criticised for it.
    When the DUP do something, Sinn Féin are accused of "not holding them to account" or of "dancing to the DUPs tune".

If Sinn Féin promote anything vaguely culturally Irish (like the language) it's "sectarian politics which alienates unionists".
    If the DUP support the orange order, promote creationism and oppose gay rights, it's "not what I agree with, but are delivering for their voters".

kbannon wrote: »
    What about the misogyny card?

Well, that was so embarrassing I wouldn't ask an adult to deal with it.

I'd just ask adults to judge it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Has there not been some element of electoral reform which is reducing the number of MLAs in most constituencies by one? Or reducing the number of constituencies overall?
    The big question might be which parties lose the fewest rather than which can gain the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Has there not been some element of electoral reform which is reducing the number of MLAs in most constituencies by one? Or reducing the number of constituencies overall?
    The big question might be which parties lose the fewest rather than which can gain the most.

Yes, the number of MLAs is going down by 18, and the smaller parties, UUP and SDLP, are the most likely to suffer.

SF and the DUP likely to gain (in relative terms).

This always stuck out for me too. I've a healthy disdain for all politicians so have no allegiance to Sinn Féin or any party, but there's a huge double standard even from the media in the Republic.  

When Sinn Féin do anything wrong they're criticised for it.
    When the DUP do something, Sinn Féin are accused of "not holding them to account" or of "dancing to the DUPs tune".

If Sinn Féin promote anything vaguely culturally Irish (like the language) it's "sectarian politics which alienates unionists".
    If the DUP support the orange order, promote creationism and oppose gay rights, it's "not what I agree with, but are delivering for their voters".
    Orange Order has wide spread support within Unionism. Many of them are in the Orange Order. The DUP plays to that core base, if they didn't  win, they wouldn't win elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Orange Order has wide spread support within Unionism. Many of them are in the Orange Order. The DUP plays to that core base, if they didn't win, they wouldn't win elections.

And the creationism? Opposing gay rights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And the creationism? Opposing gay rights?

Again, widespread support among unionists sadly.

Advertisement