Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wonder how this would go down if Westminster starts to investigate. The Tories LOVE public expenditure overruns by regions they know little about....

That money comes from somewhere and it's unlikely to be NI tax payers in reality.

The money is 'paid for' by vulnerable NI citizens who cannot get health care or home helps because the funds for these things have gone up in smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The money is 'paid for' by vulnerable NI citizens who cannot get health care or home helps because the funds for these things have gone up in smoke.

It's quite literally gone up in smoke.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bell has been suspended by the DUP.
    "The party denied his claims and leader Arlene Foster strongly criticised him over his handling of the matter."

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/jonathan-bell-suspended-from-dup-following-series-of-allegations-on-bbc-programme-35302880.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

kbannon wrote: »
    Bell has been suspended by the DUP.
    "The party denied his claims and leader Arlene Foster strongly criticised him over his handling of the matter."

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/jonathan-bell-suspended-from-dup-following-series-of-allegations-on-bbc-programme-35302880.html

See that dust cloud over there? That's from the wagons being circled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't trust many NI MLAs as far as I could throw them, but I have to say that having watched the 2 interviews, Bell does come across as the one telling the truth. He answered every question put to him, didn't deflect like Foster did. He appears to be genuinely distressed during the interview, but maybe he is just a good actor?

As for Arlene, well her interview was shocking imho. She did a lot of personal attacks on Bell, basically saying he was a bully, rude, loud, scary and it wasn't just her who found him like that, ask any DUP member, MLA or business leader. A big accusation to make.

For me, Bell is looking for a full enquiry, judge led. Would you do that if you had anything to hide?

As for the overall outcome, not much will change, despite this being probably the biggest fincancial cockup in NI history. Politics in NI is orange v green, always will be. In any other right democracy where religion isn't the be-all and end-all, heads would roll for this, and parties would lose heavily in the next election. Not in NI though, your people will always vote you back in again, no matter how much of a bad job you do.

See that dust cloud over there? That's from the wagons being circled.

You sure it's not just wood smoke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Eastwood of the SDLP is correct. She should resign, I would vote for SDLP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Foster is clinging on with typical DUP
    arrogance. How she or her party expects her to survive is amusing.

Dead man woman walking.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dead man woman walking.

Listening to the DUP in stormont is like stepping back in time. The odd God reference thrown in for good measure.

Any politician/party who mentioned God so much would never get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I will be emailing my MP David Simpson to ask him to put pressure on Unionist MLAs to support the motion of no confidence.

I'd say you would be wasting your time. SF were very nieve in asking her to step aside as any call like that from SF would only unite unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

What's a Spad they keep mentioning?

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    What's a Spad they keep mentioning?

Special advisors. All their fault of course and bell but Arlene can't be expected to look at the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,079 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd say you would be wasting your time. SF were very nieve in asking her to step aside as any call like that from SF would only unite unionists.

Did the UUP not exit stage right? Hardly 'uniting'.
    The power play between unionists will continue.
    Between this and Brexit Arlene has made a right royal mess of it all.

Her days are numbered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Perhaps but I thought SF calling for her to step aside was a mistake. Their might have been a bit of a split in the DUP had SF kept out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

McGuinness calling for other parties to support their motion for Foster to stand aside in January. Why wasn't he/his party there today?

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    McGuinness calling for other parties to support their motion for Foster to stand aside in January. Why wasn't he/his party there today?

As they want to get credit for motion and/or prob want some agreement over Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sinn Fein display why they'll never get into power down south

Double standards

It's all smoke and mirrors. (You get the mirrors by using the solar panel grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 67,079 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As predicted and underlined by something out of the blue, Arlene's career is likely to be a short one. She seems to have an uncanny knack of finding cul de sacs and ends up enflaming people rather than doing anything constructive.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-arlene-foster-burns-in-fire-of-own-making-1.2911971

Sinn Fein completely messed it up. Should have kept out of it, instead they just united the DUP and shut the whole thing down. Mcguinness is an incompetent idiot, he should resign too.

Sinn Fein completely messed it up. Should have kept out of it, instead they just united the DUP and shut the whole thing down. Mcguinness is an incompetent idiot, he should resign too.
    Dunno. Now the DUP are all coming out to a protect Foster. If and when she is found out, how will the DUP look?
    However, I think McGuinness had as deputy to take the stance he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

lol, and if they didn't say anything you'd be complaining that they were playing politics or some such nonsense.

Dunno.  Now the DUP are all coming out to a protect Foster. If and when she is found out, how will the DUP look?
    However, I think McGuinness had as deputy to take the stance he did.
    It just solidified the DUP base, no one is going to listen to an ex terrorist tell them what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

They listened to Peter Robinson for long enough.

It just solidified the DUP base, no one is going to listen to an ex terrorist tell them what to do.
    Nonetheless, it will piss off a lot of DUP fans who will possibly migrate back to UUP. This will erode away at the DUP majority which may result in SF being the majority party up there.

• Advertisement

Nonetheless, it will piss off a lot of DUP fans who will possibly migrate back to UUP. This will erode away at the DUP majority which may result in SF being the majority party up there.
    Could do, I voted UUP last May but she lost out. The DUP are under more scrutiny in the Unionist community than Sinn Fein are in the Republican community, it seems that way anyway.

Advertisement