Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster and the RHI scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

He only resigned because he is ill, nothing to do with scandal, just a perfect chance to get out. Thankfully that is the last we will see of this idiot.
    I'm a bit surprised by this tbh. I don't pay too much attention to NI politics but he always seemed eager to at least moderate his views to reach out to Unionists. I mean just this month he had an approval rating among unionists within 10% of Arlene Foster. Meanwhile she single handedly orchestrated the absolute disaster of an RHI scheme that amounted to 5% of the country's GDP which is absolutely astronomical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by this tbh. I don't pay too much attention to NI politics but he always seemed eager to at least moderate his views to reach out to Unionists. I mean just this month he had an approval rating among unionists within 10% of Arlene Foster. Meanwhile she single handedly orchestrated the absolute disaster of an RHI scheme that amounted to 5% of the country's GDP which is absolutely astronomical.

If you read some more of ponys posts very little will surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,483 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anita Blow wrote: »

ALP can't think of anything else to try to deflect from the crisis facing the DUP now. And Unionism in general.

McGuinness is ill, but if he was going to resign because of it, he was far sicker at the start of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

He has insisted today that the resignation has nothing to do with his health. Do with that what you will.

I suppose it, if untrue or even partly untrue, is designed to focus on the DUP story rather than create a new, SF and healthy candidates, one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Not Propaganda

He is ill and doesn't look well but that's not what has triggered this. Just absolute arrogance from Arlene Foster with this whole situation. The Shinners handed it on a plate as well! Just step down temporarily while the investigation is carried out, not even a full public inquiry or anything. But no. What a fool.

• Advertisement

He is ill and doesn't look well but that's not what has triggered this. Just absolute arrogance from Arlene Foster with this whole situation. The Shinners handed it on a plate as well! Just step down temporarily while the investigation is carried out, not even a full public inquiry or anything. But no. What a fool.

I was fairly sure she was going to destroy her own career, but she seems intent in destroying the whole party. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Jayop wrote: »
    He only resigned because he is ill, nothing to do with scandal, just a perfect chance to get out. Thankfully that is the last we will see of this idiot.

Haha, you must be worried when you're posting this level of nonsense.
    https://twitter.com/BBCMarkSimpson/status/818480087183953920

I was told he was seen in a cancer unit by someone well before Christmas.

I'm not denying he has health issues. It's still nonsense to say it has nothing to do with the RHI scandal.

DUP man not voting?
    I'm sure SF will be delighted to hear that. That is as good as a vote for them.
    I voted UUP in 2015.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm not denying he has health issues. It's still nonsense to say it has nothing to do with the RHI scandal.
    Perfect chance for him to do it now. And besides, nothing will change in an election anyway.

• Advertisement

He has heart issues.

Perfect chance for him to do it now. And besides, nothing will change in an election anyway.

Really? I can see the DUP losing a significant amount of seats and SF possibly becoming the largest party. That's something.

Also, it will hopefully force Foster out and that will be good for NI politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Who cares, the system is broken anyway, nothing gets done. It is probably the worst form of government in the Western world. I am not voting this time, they are all incompetent idiots.

I agree with you there. There are dinosaurs in every society but NI vote them into power. The problem is unionists do everything to denigrate anything nationalist/Irish and will never accept them as their equal.

He has heart issues.
    Heart issues can make you look like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,681 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've just watched Martin mcguiness on RTÉ news. Christ I know he's had health issues recently but he looks shook.

Heart issues can make you look like that?

Do you get out much at all?
    What kind of statement is that.
    There is no secret about his illness or what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

It’s unfortunate that Martin McGuinness is quite seriously ill at a time when this has come to a head. He will be a big loss to Sinn Fein over the coming weeks. Here’s hoping he makes a speedy recovery!

Foster’s blind hatred is clearly clouding her judgement. The thoughts of Sinn Fein pulling the rug from under her political career must have her absolutely up the wall at the moment.

It’ll be Interesting how the DUP play this one out over the next few days. It may not end well for them but I can’t see it being any more than losing a few seats.

This may not end well for Sinn Fein either, they’ve backed themselves in to a bit of a corner over the past week or 2 and have given room for the SDLP and UUP to come out against them.

5 – 6 weeks is a life time in Northern Politics, especially during election time.

It’s unfortunate that Martin McGuinness is quite seriously ill at a time when this has come to a head. He will be a big loss to Sinn Fein over the coming weeks. Here’s hoping he makes a speedy recovery!

Foster’s blind hatred is clearly clouding her judgement. The thoughts of Sinn Fein pulling the rug from under her political career must have her absolutely up the wall at the moment.

It’ll be Interesting how the DUP play this one out over the next few days. It may not end well for them but I can’t see it being any more than losing a few seats.

This may not end well for Sinn Fein either, they’ve backed themselves in to a bit of a corner over the past week or 2 and have given room for the SDLP and UUP to come out against them.

5 – 6 weeks is a life time in Northern Politics, especially during election time.
    Lets not get carried away. Settle down.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've just watched Martin mcguiness on RTÉ news. Christ I know he's had health issues recently but he looks shook.
    Will be lucky to last the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think Foster's worry is that if she was not in charge it might end bad for her.

If there was an investigation like this hanging over one, can you not expect them to want to, ahh, manage it to ensure a just outcome might be a way to put it.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    I think Foster's worry is that if she was not in charge it might end bad for her.

If there was an investigation like this hanging over one, can you not expect them to want to, ahh, manage it to ensure a just outcome might be a way to put it.

The party will need to move very quickly if they intend to put someone else in place. I can't see any other way it doesn't end badly for her.

It reminds me of Brian Cowens last stand, Martin had to move against him once he refused to budge.

I'm sure that in the back rooms of the DUP there have been talks about who should replace Foster, if she needed to be told go.

Not a party blessed with talent.

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm sure that in the back rooms of the DUP there have been talks about who should replace Foster, if she needed to be told go.

Not a party blessed with talent.

More dinosaurs is all they have. Dodds, Wilson, Cambell all probably the front runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I guess Nigel Dodds would have to step up, although he's not an MLA at present so could he?

Simon Hamilton?

In all this trouble, I think the most effective opposition politician has been Naomi Long.

I don't think Wilson would have the grassroots approval, he is a bit of a Belfast wideboy in their eyes, not a respectable type.

Campbell while he has the bitterness and poison to appeal to the party base, he does not have the ability to set it aside like Paisley and Robinson did I suspect. I'd like to see him get it as it may force a split in time to come, between the pragmatic and the obsessively hateful.

Dodds ............

First thought would be Nigel Dodds, but that would mean he'd have to give up his Westminster seat. Due to the whole uncertainty of it all he may chose to stay where he is. Maybe it's big Sammys time to shine!

Or as is most likely now they'll stick with Foster and try to get her re-elected to prove that SF can't control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Gas to see the Shinners up the road calling for the resignation of the leader of a rival party in a political scandal when their own dear leader down here is up to his beard in one scandal after another, no double standards there at all.... :D

Just saw McGuinness on the news tonight, he looks in a really bad way, my guess is that he's too ill to continue but rather than resign or retire the Shinners might as well use the occasion to pour some oil on the fire of the current DUP scandal with a grandiose gesture like this. Plus it also serves a useful smoke screen for dear leaders current spot of bother here in the south which just won't seem to go away.

Gas to see the Shinners up the road calling for the resignation of the leader of a rival party in a political scandal when their own dear leader down here is up to his beard in one scandal after another, no double standards there at all.... :D

Just saw McGuinness on the news tonight, he looks in a really bad way, my guess is that he's too ill to continue but rather than resign or retire the Shinners might as well use the occasion to pour some oil on the fire of the current DUP scandal with a grandiose gesture like this. Plus it also serves a useful smoke screen for dear leaders current spot of bother here in the south which just won't seem to go away.

Ahem SF want her to step aside. Her fellow unionists want her to resign.

Remind us what the current Gerry Ate My Hamster scandal is? I'm sure there is another one iminient.
    Any comment on the subject of the thread would be nice too.

• Advertisement

This is the truth, Sinn Fein aren't fooling anyone with half a brain. The guy looks like he is dying, why don't they just say so, Sinn Fein don't resign over corruption or scandals as they enjoy that part of political life as much as the next party.

Advertisement