Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sweet Jesus what are they doing

Friday Nights 80’s - Gone
    Soccer Saturday- Gone
    Anton Savage - Gone
    Sunday Roast - Gone

They really don’t believe in building an audience anymore, chasing the Tweenies and Instagram generation.

If they so much as lay a finger on Ian Dempsey !!

The Sunday Roast was really getting good and developed into a good listen, probably to be replaced by some text Whatapp interaction nonsense
    This got me thinking, is that even a lucrative market? Why chase the Insta generation in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Sweet Jesus what are they doing

Friday Nights 80’s - Gone
    Soccer Saturday- Gone
    Anton Savage - Gone
    Sunday Roast - Gone

They really don’t believe in building an audience anymore, chasing the Tweenies and Instagram generation.

If they so much as lay a finger on Ian Dempsey !!

The Sunday Roast was really getting good and developed into a good listen, probably to be replaced by some text Whatapp interaction nonsense

What are they doing? Growing up with their audience, probably.

Hate to break it to you, but the 80s started 40 years ago. And while I liked Friday Night 80s, Block Rockin' Beats is even better.

Soccer Saturday was when I'd switch over to Nova. A whole afternoon for one soccer game? Even if I was into soccer, and even if it was English soccer I was into, chances of it being "my" team were 11-1 against.

Anton Savage was good, but he walked.

Sunday Roast - just wasn't all that good, in my opinion. Couldn't decide whether it was an entertainment/magazine show, or current affairs. Mario isn't as funny or satirical as he thinks he is - there was plenty to criticise her for, but his "punchline" on all of his Joan Burton impressions was "Listen to me, I'm talking in a screechy voice!" and one of the reasons I was delighted she lost her seat was I wouldn't have to listen to him "do" her any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

BPKS wrote: »
    He probably had 3 people he didn't agree with on his show over 2 or 3 years.

Anytime I had to misfortune to tune it it was terrible radio. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Mario is a busted flush as Eamon Dunphy used to say.

Mario should maybe turn to mimicking himself. A Blackrock born and bred failed actor who got lucky cos he could mimck people but turned less and less amusing as the years went on and just lost another job as the ar$e is about to fall out of his profession.

Now I'd listen to that.

Jesus 🀣 devastating takedown!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 whereismymind?

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Christ sake, what are they doing in Today FM? Marios Sunday Roast now finished. just when he'd started a new segment interviewing the likes of people he doesnt necessarily agree with. Only really got into it in the last couple of months but generally found it funny and informed and balanced. Today FM is really gone to sh1te.

Something tells me, Mario Interviewing the likes of david quinn karl dieter. Was a big reason why the show was cancelled.

Todayfm dont want to court controversy from snowflake generation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Something tells me, Mario Interviewing the likes of david quinn karl dieter. Was a big reason why the show was cancelled.

It was vey abrupt - no mention last week that he wouldn't be back - some "Sunday Selection" scheduled for today - def had to have been some sort of argument over content/direction of the show. I wasn't always a fan of his presenting skills but he did have some interesting conversations and guests on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 whereismymind?

Castles by Freya Ridings.

Very apt 1st song on the replacement show today.

I found it very hit and miss - had some good topics at times, and some good contributors. At others, it was very meh, right on and woke.

So Mario was fired for a) being "right on and woke", and simultaneously b) interviewing right-wingers like Quinn and Dieter.

Poor lad mustn't know whether he was coming or going... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Keith mccormack has been ruining Today FM since 2016.

The station has really gone downhill since Tom Hardy finished there.

Then there is this new guy:
    https://www.communicorpmedia.com/today-fm-appoints-new-content-programming-director/

So Mario was fired for a) being "right on and woke", and simultaneously b) interviewing right-wingers like Quinn and Dieter.

I think it was not having an identity and not knowing what kind of show it actually was supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hardly fired................assuming you're being sarcastic there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd much rather The Sunday Roast which had on occasion some interesting guests and content than another god damn music show playing the same ****e songs over and over with some soulless DJ

The show that was on today which replaced the Sunday Roast was awful, then some other show which started at 1 was more of the same generic ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭fire_man

I fully agree ,enjoyed the Sunday Roast but today just switched over.Strange decision by management.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I very briefly heard Today FM before lunchtime. I think Claire Beck was the presenter.

fire_man wrote: »
    I fully agree ,enjoyed the Sunday Roast but today just switched over.Strange decision by management.

I didn't really enjoy it myself, but agree, it was strange to drop it so quickly without at least having a replacement lined up.

I assume they will have some sort of magazine/interview/current affairs/culture type thing rather than another music programme, which, at time of day, will be bound to follow their generic daytime playlist.

Actually - is there still that requirement to have x % of news and current affairs that used to be there a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭RINO87

Machine Head on today FM. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If you believe Karl Dieter to be "right-wing", you need to go back to Politics 101, or read a history book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I very briefly heard Today FM before lunchtime. I think Claire Beck was the presenter.

Yeah, she was on in what was Mario's slot. She's been moved about herself - started off with two weekend slots when she replaced Kelly Anne Byrne but has been cut down to one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yeah, she was on in what was Mario's slot. She's been moved about herself - started off with two weekend slots when she replaced Kelly Anne Byrne but has been cut down to one now.

Both Kelly Anne Byrne and Claire Beck had been presenters on the now defunct TXFM. Claire started getting filler slots on Today FM after the demise of TXFM on October 2016. Kelly Anne already had her Saturday night slot on Today FM while also a presenter on TXFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

If you believe Karl Dieter to be "right-wing", you need to go back to Politics 101, or read a history book.

How would you define "right-wing"? He clearly has right-wing political views and would admit as much. That doesn't mean he's far-right obviously but he's hardly of the left.

Anyway, was surprised to turn on Today FM at 11 yesterday and not hear Mario's Sunday Roast, no indication it was going last week although radio shows generally tend to be axed like that. I wouldn't have been a massive fan of the show but it was listenable. Which is more than you can say for 90% of 'content' on Today FM these days.

I still miss the Sunday Business Show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Mairead was going well for awhile then today my god just so down giving out only light was chat to huberman. Christ she will be bad tomorrow... That will trigger radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Mairead was going well for awhile then today my god just so down giving out only light was chat to huberman. Christ she will be bad tomorrow... That will trigger radio off

I've read this seven times and I still can't work out what you're saying.

I've read this seven times and I still can't work out what you're saying.

So, negative she is

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomasflaherty

It’s a wonder she was actually in!!! Never seen a DJ ...... sorry radio personality... take so many days off. How does she keep a job at Todayfm

It’s a wonder she was actually in!!! Never seen a DJ ...... sorry radio personality... take so many days off. How does she keep a job at Todayfm

True she is off at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Has Mairead been bad today?

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Has Mairead been bad today?

Didn't listen after yesterday she was awful yesterday. Just waiting for her to take another day off don't mind Pamela. How did she get nominated for radio awards never mind a silver gong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Tork

Anybody who gets to sit behind a microphone on radio gets nominated for these things. They're meaningless awards. I guess they thought they might as well give it to her this year for a change.

Didn't listen after yesterday she was awful yesterday. Just waiting for her to take another day off don't mind Pamela. How did she get nominated for radio awards never mind a silver gong.

Jfc, the lengths some people go to on here to criticise presenters - especially female ones...

Seriously? Your problem with her now is she takes holidays?! So does - well, every single radio presenter! They're all on similar enough contracts and all take roughly the same number of days off.

Talk about real human issues people are experiencing, especially now cos of Covid - "Too moany!" Don't do that, and go for a more light-hearted show - "Bleedin' 'content creators'!"

• Advertisement

Advertisement