Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland have conscription?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not a big fan of servitude so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I do actually think the naval service needs some pretty significant investment. We have very substantial territorial waters and should be patrolling them more imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

seamus wrote: »
    No. We would be pissing money away on military spending that we don't need.

There is absolutely zero evidence from any other country that mandatory military time results in less criminals or "hardens" people up. That's a romantic notion.

I would massively support a programme however where school leavers could get a college place and put it on hold for a year or two, to engage in some kind of training with specific groups - mountain rescue, civil defence, fire service, ambulance or military. Most of these groups are badly in need of support, and the more people who have done some work with them, the more likely they are to rejoin them after college, or otherwise support them at events or for funding, etc.

Throwing people into military service after school does nothing to help the country and the person's local community.

I would support something like this. Forcing everyone into the military will just make things worse for those who want to be there. Focus on helping those who want to actually take part but let those with no interest go on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I do actually think the naval service needs some pretty significant investment. We have very substantial territorial waters and should be patrolling them more imo

If the navy we do have was doing that instead of acting as water taxi at the behest of the likes of Sutherland and Merkel we wouldn't be doing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If the navy we do have was doing that instead of acting as water taxi at the behest of the likes of Sutherland and Merkel we wouldn't be doing too bad.
    I think saving lives is a fair use of their time actually. In any case, 1 or 2 boats in the Med ain't the issue. We need about 10 Samuel Beckett class patrol ships going around our coast full time. Ireland's lack of a maritime outlook is probably the weirdest part of our society, I simply don't get it, we have such rich waters in terms of food and fuel but we hardly eat any fish and don't have any offshore wind farms or rigs. Utter madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

frag420 wrote: »
    AnGaelach wrote: »
    Just wondering what people think about it. Say spending a year in the military and then spending x number of days per year training.

Your vote won't be public.

Doing what exactly? We would be better of spending the year learning to code or learning a new language like Mandarin than learning how to light a fire in a strong wind or making a shelter out of twigs and fresh air!
    Ah jaysus. Why do people always roll out these two. Not every eejit needs to "code". Sorry nerds, but other than wanting to be a professional programmer there is no *need* for the average person to know how to "code". If you want to learn it yourself, by all means go ahead. Plenty of free resources online. Same for Mandarin. Learn it youself if it's that useful and come back to let us know how you got on. The only Chinese you'll ever need to know is how to say "#2 spicy chickenballs with rice". That is assuming the Red invasion doesn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Grayson wrote: »
    Compulsory service might not be a bad idea. Give people free college/education if they spend a year afterwards working for a charity, NGO or in government service in some manner. It's a handy way for them to get experience. I wouldn't make it compulsory military service. The military isn't for everyone and it's best to allow people to serve in a manner which benefits both them and the country.
    It's a simple enough system but it would be a nightmare making sure it's not abused and that it's implemented without being too much of a bureaucratic nightmare for everyone involved.

Sure they fecking practically had that and everyone got their knickers in a twist. And that eejit Murphy got into the Dail crying about it.
    Jobsbridge schmobsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not at all, militarization dehumanizes people, and there's enough 'mad dog' weirdos on this planet as it is. I've worked with ex army guys, some sound, some complete arseholes and some struggling with mental health and addiction issues in which I think could be related to their military experiences. Militarization has a tendency to create bullies. Stick the money and resources into far more important public services

• Registered Users Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Del2005 wrote:
    The answer to every problem is that it's someone else's responsibility. It's not the Armies, or any other organisations, job to teach discipline and endurance. It's the responsibility of the parent(s) or guardian(s) to teach these things to children.

Subletting parenting to the government sounds great. What could go wrong?

In other news, I hate the Nanny State.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's a great idea for discipline! Some of the people I had to teach in UCD could have done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Del2005 wrote: »
    The answer to every problem is that it's someone else's responsibility.
    It's not the Armies, or any other organisations, job to teach discipline and endurance. It's the responsibility of the parent(s) or guardian(s) to teach these things to children.

Unfortunately some of them don't do that.

Subletting parenting to the government sounds great. What could go wrong?

In other news, I hate the Nanny State.

These would be eighteen year olds and upwards..

Yea it's not raising your kids. It's providing life long skills to eighteen year old teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ah jaysus. Why do people always roll out these two. Not every eejit needs to "code". Sorry nerds, but other than wanting to be a professional programmer there is no *need* for the average person to know how to "code". If you want to learn it yourself, by all means go ahead. Plenty of free resources online. Same for Mandarin. Learn it youself if it's that useful and come back to let us know how you got on. The only Chinese you'll ever need to know is how to say "#2 spicy chickenballs with rice". That is assuming the Red invasion doesn't happen!

So learning to strip an assault rifle is a useful skill in a country where it's impossible to get a licence for a shotgun that can take 5 cartridges.

At least teaching coding, or even basic maths, or Mandarin might be useful for someone later in life, I don't see much use for being trained to kill others in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Maybe some kind of military service yes. But i think it goes without saying that nobody should ever be forced to have to go to war and put their own life in danger or harm another person

wakka12 wrote: »
    Maybe some kind of military service yes. But i think it goes without saying that nobody should ever be forced to have to go to war and put their own life in danger or harm another person

wars should just be prevented in the first place, no human should experience them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

These would be eighteen year olds and upwards..

Oh yes. No need to parent children. Warehouse them until they finish school and retrospectively sublet parenting to the government. Then blame the government of anything goes wrong.

Conscription is ridiculous. It's parents job to teach discipline etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If the government forced me to become a fighter pilot, I'd reluctantly accept.

Otherwise fuck that. No sane person should want to learn to kill people as a trade.

And yes, I'm aware of the hypocrisy.

Be some eye opener if it transpired you were brilliant at it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I wouldn't ask the generation below me to do something I never would have ever wanted to do in a million years myself. The only way I'd ever agree to conscription is that everyone in the country under the age of 60 would have to do at least one year's service. Might soften the cough of some of the people I see calling for people younger than themselves to be forced into military service.

Nothing worse than someone in their thirties or forties giving out about the youth of today and demanding conscription. We had it handy as fook as teenagers…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

No i don't agree with forcing adults to give up a year of their lives doing something they hate.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    wars should just be prevented in the first place, no human should experience them

True but there are plenty of people willing to go to war , for whatever reason ,so forcing those who don't want to isn't really necessary or ethical

I wouldn't ask the generation below me to do something I never would have ever wanted to do in a million years myself. The only way I'd ever agree to conscription is that everyone in the country under the age of 60 would have to do at least one year's service. Might soften the cough of some of the people I see calling for people younger than themselves to be forced into military service.

Nothing worse than someone in their thirties or forties giving out about the youth of today and demanding conscription. We had it handy as fook as teenagers…

I'm sure anyone whose family and work commitments allowed would be happy to do it. At 18 you're not likely to have as many obstacles to national service. I think it would do a lot of older people a lot of good, too. I'd have said the same when I was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The ones it would be aimed at - the ones who supposedly need toughening up, or straightening out - are the ones who'd get out of it with a sob story and a dodgy doctor's cert.

Del2005 wrote: »
    So learning to strip an assault rifle is a useful skill in a country where it's impossible to get a licence for a shotgun that can take 5 cartridges.

At least teaching coding, or even basic maths, or Mandarin might be useful for someone later in life, I don't see much use for being trained to kill others in later life.

You learn more than that in the army, team work, orienteering, hand to hand defense, discipline , physical fitness benefits

osarusan wrote: »
    The ones it would be aimed at - the ones who need toughening up, or straightening out - are the ones who'd get out of it with a sob story and a dodgy doctor's cert.

Indeed. Trump would be a good example of that. Some people would be far to sensitive for the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm sure anyone whose family and work commitments allowed would be happy to do it. At 18 you're not likely to have as many obstacles to national service. I think it would do a lot of older people a lot of good, too. I'd have said the same when I was 18.

I wouldn't have wanted to do it then and wouldn't want to do it now. If people are so concerned about life skills being taught, make DIY compulsory in school, don't stick kids in the military! It's bloody ridiculous… The kids today are arseholes? I was an arsehole when I was that age too. I didn't need to be put in the fooking army to grow up - life helped me along with that all by itself. Bollocks to conscription is what I say!

I wouldn't have wanted to do it then and wouldn't want to do it now. If people are so concerned about life skills being taught, make DIY compulsory in school, don't stick kids in the military! It's bloody ridiculous… The kids today are arseholes? I was an arsehole when I was that age too. I didn't need to be put in the fooking army to grow up - life helped me along with that all by itself. Bollocks to conscription is what I say!

Well there were other suggestions apart from military service. DIY is a good idea. Although most schools have some kind of home economics and a lot of people still don't have a clue how to cook when they leave school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If, as people are claiming, being in the army is such a universal, silver bullet solution to discipline, self worth, leadership, confidence, mental well being etc. why do you hear so much about veteran mental health issues, homelessness, suicide, unemployment?

Why do so many ex servicemen need charities and support services?

If the benefits of conscription are so obvious and simple, why is it increasingly being abolished in many countries? Wouldn't there be a hugely visible difference between countries with and without it?

Take Latvia and Estonia for example. One has conscription, the other doesn't. Is there any notion out there that Estonians are much more disciplined, better at team work, confident etc?

wakka12 wrote: »
    True but there are plenty of people willing to go to war , for whatever reason ,so forcing those who don't want to isn't really necessary or ethical

we need to look at why wars occur, imperial nations such as america are major culprits in this, and its up to all of us to pull them up on this. i dont believe in conscription either, i do truly believe it dehumanizes people.

• Advertisement

If, as people are claiming, being in the army is such a universal, silver bullet solution to discipline, self worth, leadership, confidence, mental well being etc. why do you hear so much about veteran mental health issues, homelessness, suicide, unemployment?

Why do so many ex servicemen need charities and support services?

It's almost inevitable where someone has been through very serious fighting. And the supports aren't always there for them once they finish their army careers. A big factor would be mental health. Psychological health and suitability weren't even properly taken into account when training conscripts or sending any soldiers into combat until quite recently but now it is.

Advertisement