Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses European Tour 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Dublin bus were great, started leaving just before Paradise City and the bus was packed and out of there pretty soon after that. In town in an hour!

Getting from town to home was a different story, not a Taxi in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The speed of sound is 340 m/s, whereas light is 3*10^8 m/s.

Sooo if you are 100 meters from the speaker tower, it will take the sound (100/340) = 0.294 seconds to reach you. So yes, even being a small bit back from the source of the sound, it will appear out of sync with the screen beaming in essentially real time. Sadly there's nothing that can be done, apart from issuing everyone with headphones which beam the source into them real time.

TL;DR The video and sound weren't out of sync, physics was against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Got the bus at 12:00 from Dublin so got in there in plenty of time. Easy to get in. No major hassle with queues etc. Got in around lunctime and got some food, and took it handy.

Why can't people use their heads and get in early? Just get up earlier! Problem solved!! :)

Sound where we were wasn't great, but I wasn't bothered about getting down the front.

The delay with the screen and the sound was annoying, but I was standing well back, so that's to be expected.

In general, I'd be slow to go back to Slane or an outdoor gig in general, but overall, it was good to see G'n'R. It's difficult to actually make out if they still get on with each other. Richard FOrtus. What a player...

Got back into Dublin no hassle too. Getting a cab was hard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

seachto7 wrote: »
    In general, I'd be slow to go back to Slane or an outdoor gig in general, but overall, it was good to see G'n'R. It's difficult to actually make out if they still get on with each other. Richard FOrtus. What a player...

Got back into Dublin no hassle too. Getting a cab was hard though.

When Axl introduced slash as "Your friend", slight pause "and mine!", I though it was a little awkward alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Harika

Sooo if you are 100 meters from the speaker tower, it will take the sound (100/340) = 0.294 seconds to reach you. So yes, even being a small bit back from the source of the sound, it will appear out of sync with the screen beaming in essentially real time. Sadly there's nothing that can be done, apart from issuing everyone with headphones which beam the source into them real time.

Just the sound was there, before the video hit. So Axl stopped singing and the video still showed him singing. Your calculation would make sense if the speed of sound was greater than the speed of light. :pac: Even people close to the stage recognised it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Harika wrote: »
    Just the sound was there, before the video hit. So Axl stopped singing and the video still showed him singing. Your calculation would make sense if the speed of sound was greater than the speed of light. :pac: Even people close to the stage recognised it.

there's an adjustment made on the desk for the delay between the speakers at the front and the speaker half way up and the speakers at the back. I thought the video and sound were perfect at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

When Axl introduced slash as "Your friend", slight pause "and mine!", I though it was a little awkward alright.

He did that deliberately lol!!! People are reading waaaay too much into things. Things are fine between Axl & Slash. Some guy either on this thread or the other one in R&M saying that things are "forced" between the two of them, is just making s**t up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Yep, pretty sure this is the reason.

I think if anything the video screens were actually trying to compensate for this. I noticed during Royal Blood that the screen was in perfect sync, but when I looked at the actual drummer, it seemed a bit off!

From where I was, right between the two speaker towers, it was pretty much spot on, problem is they can't have it perfect for everyone in such a large venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    it was pretty much spot on, problem is they can't have it perfect for everyone in such a large venue.

BUT...... It should be !
    Well, not perfect, but good enough so we can hear him singing !! :(:rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    BUT...... It should be !
    Well, not perfect, but good enough so we can hear him singing !! :(:rolleyes:

Bollix. You're out in the open. They have to put up with something called WEATHER conditions.

If you wanted to hear him perfectly, you should've stayed at home playing the CD's

• Advertisement

yeah it's not rocket science, if you wanna chat and act the b0ll0x stay back on top of the hill ...if you are half interested in the gig move closer

yeah it's not rocket science, if you wanna chat and act the b0ll0x stay back on top of the hill ...if you are half interested in the gig move closer

Yeh well said.. not !
    and speaking of one... :mad:

Bollix. You're out in the open. They have to put up with something called WEATHER conditions.

If you wanted to hear him perfectly, you should've stayed at home playing the CD's

Or shouldnt the promoters have to provide better sound due to the weather conditions??

but thanks for your suggestions...
    And you still listen to cds?? How quaint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Harika

I was standing in the back and was happy with the sound. Maybe because I usually stand back from the big concerts speakers and my hearing is not impaired. ;)
    That said the crowd in the back was quiet calm, what was partially also caused by the playlist as with "Welcome to the jungle" the crowd woke up and sang along, but after that there was silence again as "Double Talkin' Jive" didn't invite that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Or shouldnt the promoters have to provide better sound due to the weather conditions??

:confused::confused: What's quaint about it?

Yeh well said.. not !
    and speaking of one... :mad:

wha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Surely trolling at this stage. The promoter should provide a weather proof sound system for an outdoor gig. Bizarre statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

what's wrong with listening to CD's?

they were the premium medium of choice for pretty much all the decent G'n R albums, mind you I actully bought Appetite on tape because I didn't have a discman at the time so had to rely on my trusty old walkman for my mr brownstone fix back in the good aul days tripping in and out of school

my discman still works, but for modern day purposes i have since uploaded them all to my ipod though, but i presume that won't meet with your standards either :rolleyes:

D.Q wrote: »
    Surely trolling at this stage. The promoter should provide a weather proof sound system for an outdoor gig. Bizarre statement.

a roof and 4 walls?!!

Stop being patronising!!! Nothing wrong with listening to CD's.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »

It was a nonsense statement alright!!!!???

the sound was amazing. Best outdoor sound I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Giblet wrote: »
    Dublin bus were great, started leaving just before Paradise City and the bus was packed and out of there pretty soon after that. In town in an hour!

Getting from town to home was a different story, not a Taxi in sight.

On this. Ye lot would want to be careful :P Had a guy arguing with our bus driver that he was told to come our way to get "into town". We, of course, going to Navan. He had two options at that stage, Navan or a 4km walk to the right bus, assuming it was still there. You're "the city" or "the big smoke" out here haha. Felt bad for the chap but lucky a few lads offered to bring him to where to catch the nightlink but was in for a long wait.

whatever ...

Sound was crap where we were....

That is my opinion.

Seve OB wrote: »
    what's wrong with listening to CD's?

they were the premium medium of choice for pretty much all the decent G'n R albums, mind you I actully bought Appetite on tape because I didn't have a discman at the time so had to rely on my trusty old walkman for my mr brownstone fix back in the good aul days tripping in and out of school

my discman still works, but for modern day purposes i have since uploaded them all to my ipod though, but i presume that won't meet with your standards either :rolleyes:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Layne

Well that was a fun.

Well impressive gig I must say, up there with the best I've been at. Great to see a no nonsense GnR plough their way tru 27 songs in close to 3 hours. That personality transplant of Axl's is working a treat, he was really buzzed up, not a rant in sight, great singing throughout and he even cracked a smile a few times, good on you Axl.

Great setlist, so many highlights including Nightrain, Estranged, There was a Time, and Patience. Black Hole Sun was fantastic and truly emotional, shed a tear I must admit. The Wish you were Here version of Slash and Fortus was amazing too. So many highlights.

Was near the front of the main area and couldn't believe the space in the Gold Circle area, would have paid the extra few shekels if I'd realised how much space you would have. Think they overestimated how many GC tickets they would sell.

Slane as a venue will find it hard to top this year. Not many rock bands out there that can draw 85000 into a field in Meath. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyways all in all a great day, yeah queues were a pain in the ass but was there for the music, was glad to witness it as I think once this touring cycle is over, if it ever ends, we might not hear much from original GnR for a long time again. If it's about the money there will be no real motivation to record new music and you can only live off the few albums they have recorded for so long.

Great day, great gig and great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Layne wrote:
    Was near the front of the main area and couldn't believe the space in the Gold Circle area, would have paid the extra few shekels if I'd realised how much space you would have. Think they overestimated how many GC tickets they would sell.

There wasn't any space nearer the top, believe me! My sister was at the back and said there was loadsa room.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I thought the sound was superb at Slane. You should have moved if you were experiencing sub par sound. At outdoor gigs I've always had to move until I found a great sound but at Slane, it was perfect for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Reading way too much into it. These guys did NOT need to do this for money. Or else they would have done this years ago and be retired on their own islands by now. They have been offered insane amounts of money for years. Duff is a succesful businessman, as well as his music success, Slash has been making great music and selling out arenas by himself and Axl was touring with hired musicians and selling out huge festivals and arena all over the world. Plus the albums they've all released.

Take a look at the clips of them talking and rehearsing backstage. It's all jokes and fun and they didnt even know they were filmed. It's just staff on their phones capturing clips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Is anyone going to Paris?

I was looking into it yesterday and there's pitch standing available. It looks like there's a gold circle set up priced around 90 and rest of pitch is 60ish.

Does anyone who booked know if this is correct?

Advertisement