Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Don't forget your core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Don't forget your core.
    Don't forget your core.

My pt has me doing core every session. Boke

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rookie23

Regarding fitness I have 1pt class a week, spin class, running twice a week and also started doing boxersise. Its great as it works on cardio and strength! Personally I'm really enjoying It! Any other recommendations would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Rookie23 wrote: »
    Regarding fitness I have 1pt class a week, spin class, running twice a week and also started doing boxersise. Its great as it works on cardio and strength! Personally I'm really enjoying It! Any other recommendations would be great!
    Think your good with that set up

Aye. In this whole process the fitness is the easiest.

And to be honest of you fail the PCA you have only yourself to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

have you done your pca banter,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I run 1.5 miles twice a week at the gym and fire away at the weights and core. Some rowing and heavy bag to mix up the cardio. Need to get out on the streets running again too and do a few 5ks a week.

Been taking on banters advice, 50pressups in the morning and 50 sit ups.

In my later 20’s and can feel myself slower than I used to be. Going off the drink too for a while has to be done....

If you want to get mad fit find an MMA or Muay Thai gym.

Would also help you get used to getting hit. And also how to block strikes. ;)

Time to rejoin kickboxing.

• Advertisement

Yes. PM me if you really want to know.

And even if i I hadn't does it change 5he fact that being fit is a given?

The fitter you are the more likely you to pass PCA.

The fitter you are the better you will cope with long shifts.

The fitter you are the easier you will find chasing folk.

The fitter you are the better you will recover from shifts and so translates to more family time.

Need I go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Regarding the numbers, last campaign had around 2000 put forward to the A.C.

Also regarding fitness there is no point aiming to 1.5miles or 5k runs when the fitness is less that 4 mins.
    Obviously the human body isn't capable of sprinting for 4mins but everyone should be aiming to sprint during the parts of the pca where you run around the hall to start the second lap.
    It's all about recruiting your fast twitch muscle fibres to respond to what you want them to do.
    Do hard fast runs for 1min at a time and between them during your rest do feet to brain coordination work etc side steps over lines at football's pitches, ladder work. Or around cones. (If you can't get comes use old water/coke bottles)
    Alot of people who fail their pcs is due to either not training or making silly mistakes e.g. missing cones or falling of the balance beam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

Yes. PM me if you really want to know.

And even if i I hadn't does it change 5he fact that being fit is a given?

The fitter you are the more likely you to pass PCA.

The fitter you are the better you will cope with long shifts.

The fitter you are the easier you will find chasing folk.

The fitter you are the better you will recover from shifts and so translates to more family time.

Need I go on?

seems like a very aggressive response to as simple question.

NiK9 wrote: »

Also regarding fitness there is no point aiming to 1.5miles or 5k runs when the fitness is less that 4 mins.
    Obviously the human body isn't capable of sprinting for 4mins but everyone should be aiming to sprint during the parts of the pca where you run around the hall to start the second lap.
    It's all about recruiting your fast twitch muscle fibres to respond to what you want them to do.
    Do hard fast runs for 1min at a time and between them during your rest do feet to brain coordination work etc side steps over lines at football's pitches, ladder work. Or around cones. (If you can't get comes use old water/coke bottles)
    Alot of people who fail their pcs is due to either not training or making silly mistakes e.g. missing cones or falling of the balance beam etc.

HIIT or Varteg will suffice. But running 1.5 miles builds your endurance and recovery. I'd still do it until you are at a Base level you are happy with. Then start as you said above.

Do relative circuit work. I.e. Watch the video and do similar stuff.

Find a wall. Get get over it. Only attempt the wall after you have been exercising to make it realistic

NiK9 wrote: »

HIIT or Varteg will suffice. But running 1.5 miles builds your endurance and recovery. I'd still do it until you are at a Base level you are happy with. Then start as you said above.

Do relative circuit work. I.e. Watch the video and do similar stuff.

Find a wall. Get get over it. Only attempt the wall after you have been exercising to make it realistic

Yea being able to do the longer distance cardio is definitely a must. If not for PCA even to keep yourself in shape for the medical.

My biggest downfall with training is that I'm very competitive and I train alot better when competing against someone (running faster or further or lifting heavier or more etc). But the people I usually train with are in their "winter bulk" stage and dont want to do cardio :( so most of my training is done alone now.

Strength circuits... Seriously cardio is there

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FinalTry32

Bit harsh there, Iv failed the PCA before and I worked my a** off for it .. Was doing spin classes, had a PT and was doing 3 other gym sessions a week .. On the day it just didnt go my way, I dont and wont ever blame myself for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

FinalTry32 wrote: »

Bit harsh there, Iv failed the PCA before and I worked my a** off for it .. Was doing spin classes, had a PT and was doing 3 other gym sessions a week .. On the day it just didnt go my way, I dont and wont ever blame myself for that!!

Also since you’ve said you’ve done your PCA before banterbus how come your not in GV or passed out by now did you fail the medical or????

recruit099 wrote: »

Also since you’ve said you’ve done your PCA before banterbus how come your not in GV or passed out by now did you fail the medical or????

Pm me

Were you ready to throw up by the end of it?

• Advertisement

Were you ready to throw up by the end of it?

Yeah i was.

Yeah i was.[/quote]

When you were training did you do relevent exercises.

Attempt to climb a wall whilst breathing out your hole?

Attempt cones when almost at breaking point?

Body drag whilst exhausted?

You prepared well but did you train how you were to fight so to speak?

You could be a marathon runner but if you haven't attempts obstacles whilst at the point of failure...

I really don't understand we're the this whole "it didn't go my way" bull came from.

It's a physical competency assessment. You failed it. You aren't physically competent in the eyes of the PSNI.

My point is to avoid that disappointment be starting now. The earlier you start it the less stressful the day will be.

Instead of taking offence, just learn to realise that not all help comes smelling of roses.

I prepared the best that I could, although dont see why I need to explaim myself to you .. I was simply pointing out that the PCA isnt a piece of p**s ...

Trust me, I know not all help comes smelling of roses , it never does and never will!!

I prepared the best that I could, although dont see why I need to explaim myself to you .. I was simply pointing out that the PCA isnt a piece of p**s ...

It's the easiest to prepare for because you get to literally see what to expect.

You engaged me, of course I am going to ask questions. If you don't like your point of view being challenged enjoy court when a barrister rips into you

On a happy note. Who's looking forward to next week?

I just want it over now.

• Advertisement

Slo85 wrote: »

I just want it over now.

Nearly there. 1 week to IST. And roughly 8 weeks until A.C. starts, if it all runs on time

Advertisement