Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

For anyone who did the A/C before. Do they send a letter saying your successful or not? Does it include info about your score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Oh Banterbus. I cant wait to see you out on the ground (assuming you can make it that far yourself). Your attitude stinks and its going to do you no favours. Prepare yourself for a career of complaints and a whole torrent of abuse from MOP's if you dont change your ways. My attitude > my behviour > your attitude > your behviour (betari's box) will be applicable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Banterbus has stated in previous posts that this is his 3rd application. He has also stated that he has failed once at IST and once at AC. This indicates that he has not been to the PCA and has no idea how it actually is on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

Guys/girls, banterbus wasn’t trying to be malicious, he’s just giving us pointers as he knows the process.

TW2017 wrote: »
    Guys/girls, banterbus wasn’t trying to be malicious, he’s just giving us pointers as he knows the process.

He doesn't know the process though, the AC is literally the second thing you do.

• Advertisement

He doesn't know the process though, the AC is literally the second thing you do.

He said he’s done the pca before, not sure how far he got after that though.

He said he’s done the pca before, not sure how far he got after that though.

He has said that on numerous occasions, however through his own admission the furthest he has progressed is to the Assessment Centre, which you need to pass to be invited to PCA.

Fair play, I as Just quoting post #1,512,
    New to the forum.

New to the forum.

It's no problem, banterbus has a habit of chastising others on the forum with regards to fitness/PCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Like I said PM me and I will explain lol

• Advertisement

Slo85 wrote: »
    For anyone who did the A/C before. Do they send a letter saying your successful or not? Does it include info about your score?

All via email

New to the forum.

It's no problem, banterbus has a habit of chastising others on the forum with regards to fitness/PCA.

Just don't see how it's fair that you get a 2nd chance after failing instead of allowing someone further down the list who may pass have a go.

Like I said PM me and I will explain lol

If it's something you can't say on an open forum, then you probably shouldn't be PM'ing it either. Persec and all.

Banterbus has stated in previous posts that this is his 3rd application. He has also stated that he has failed once at IST and once at AC. This indicates that he has not been to the PCA and has no idea how it actually is on the day.

Still waiting on that PM

Just don't see how it's fair that you get a 2nd chance after failing instead of allowing someone further down the list who may pass have a go.

People further the list do get a go. I'm sure many people who received the call before me did so with a pass at a PCA retest. It hasn't prevented me from progressing. All it has done is afforded second chance to someone deemed at AC to have the qualities and behaviours needed to become a Police Officer. I'm all for that.

Still waiting on that PM

I never said I intended to pm you regarding it. I actually replied to you saying if it's something you can't say openly then you probably shouldn't pm it to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Instant Sunshine

Ladies and Lads,

Lets leave the ad hominem's to your PM's yea? Feel free to have a go at each other there.

This thread is for info for us going through the process who can help and support each other through the different stages.

Your bickering has probably pushed others away from this excellent resource but it made me frustrated enough to stop lurking and create an account to try and get it to stop.

IST is coming up guys so lets focus on that first and foremost. Assessment centre after and then the fitness and so on. Having a good level of fitness will probably help you through some of the stages and it never hurts to start early and really be the best you can be.

2nd time going through the process so I don't know as much as those who have gone through the whole thing but who knows anything anymore with the change up, eh?

I know that I have done it, chastise me all you wish. I really don't care.

Many peelers I know firmly believe that if you aren't fit enough then you didn't really want in the first place. Mainly ecause if you wanted it you would make damn sure you passed.

I'm a firm believer of tough love. I have made that clear.

It's not easy but it's also no very difficult. As long as you concentrate as well as push yourself you'll be fine.

And the reason simply is this.

People go on here in the hope of it giving them some insight on becoming a police officer.

For many reasons people are getting really less fit than they used to be.

If they get people telling them that nawk sure it will be fine then they may not or simply won't make the changes necessary in order to get through that hurdle that is the PCA.

I do care about all of you. I just hate the thought of somebody failing on this when they know what they need to do. Because that would break me.

IST fail- tough enough to deal with

AC fail- real disappointment

PCA fail - would be like getting kicked in the stomach. Especially after all waiting.

Nobody deserves that.

On the contrary to common belief, fear tactics work.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

Hi Slo85 - providing things haven't changed this time, you should receive an email confirming your final score and the required pass mark.  You should also receive a fairly detailed report explaining your scores as per each section of the assessment.  I can't remember the exact timeframe but I don't think the wait is too long.  I checked mine again recently and was lucky enough.  I didn't start very well but I progressively got better as the day went on and passed, so one piece of advice I would give is that, even if you think you aren't doing well, keep going as best you can. 

I would also suggest forgetting about the AC at this stage of the process.  There will be more than enough time to think about it after the IST.  Just take each stage as it comes and try to remain positive.  It is a very testing process but it's doable!  Good luck!

• Advertisement

I agree one step at a time. Focus on IST. Then focus on AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

With regards to the fitness aspect, yes it's very important to be as fit as you can be beforehand but generally speaking, people don't seem to be failing because of poor fitness levels.  It seems to me that it's mostly poor technique.  Yes, it's a maximum effort test for four minutes but you should also slow down a wee bit and think ahead.  Make sure you don't miss a cone or lose your footing.  I didn't break any records but I passed comfortably (and still felt like boking at the end)!
    It really does pull the legs out of you.  I would suggest going for a couple of runs during the week, do some sprints and squats really do help (during the course you'll be going from prone to a standing position quite regularly and they definitely help).
    Learn the course.  Think ahead.  Stay positive.

Run fitness concurrently with all the other preparation. Means that in your head you know that is one thing you don't have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

IST soon so good luck everyone.
    I have been told around 6-7 thousand applied.
    Highest scorers expected to go into GV around Sept 18.
    Based on previous campaigns to pass the IST u would roughly need to get 2/3 of the test correct.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Cbm27 wrote: »
    Based on previous campaigns to pass the IST u would roughly need to get 2/3 of the test correct.

The tests are different though and on a computer.

So potentially speed may be a scoring factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

The old paper tests were still timed? So I'm not sure if they would base scores on time now if they didn't before?

I'm just sharing what I know to try and give people a general bit of info that may answer what they want to know.

The old paper tests were still timed? So I'm not sure if they would base scores on time now if they didn't before?

I'm just sharing what I know to try and give people a general bit of info that may answer what they want to know.

Not saying your wrong.

But the civil service tests including time taken to answer each question in verbal reasoning in their scoring...

The whole test was timed in the exam hall. On a computer they can measure reaction times against a control group to adjust scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Hi Slo85 - providing things haven't changed this time, you should receive an email confirming your final score and the required pass mark.  You should also receive a fairly detailed report explaining your scores as per each section of the assessment.  I can't remember the exact timeframe but I don't think the wait is too long.  I checked mine again recently and was lucky enough.  I didn't start very well but I progressively got better as the day went on and passed, so one piece of advice I would give is that, even if you think you aren't doing well, keep going as best you can. 

I would also suggest forgetting about the AC at this stage of the process.  There will be more than enough time to think about it after the IST.  Just take each stage as it comes and try to remain positive.  It is a very testing process but it's doable!  Good luck!

Thank you. Fingers crossed I get through the first stage and then will stress about the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ZXC53

Assuming the highest scorers are expected to start around Sept 18, , when do you think the final intake would be? Just out of interest.

Advertisement