Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

In real terms nothing has really changed in terms of effort and preparation required.

There will be people that will try and wing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Some will manage it too, frustratingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Some will manage it too, frustratingly
    Some people have that ability and that’s fine. We will just worry about us. Same in GV I presume. Some ace the classes and others have to work for it. So when we both get in we can work together. Just like this forum, we are working together and sharing ideas and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

I'm far more concerned about the fact that I've heard numerous people saying they are getting family members to take the test first so they can view it before having their real attempt.

Caveat to that is that they might get found out at AC but then again they might not.

• Advertisement

Once you launch each test you have one attempt it must be done in one sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

If they get someone else to sit the test for them, they're only kidding themselves in the long run.  I'm looking at it as more of a practice run for the AC.  Hopefully though I get an invite to hotel GV before it gets that far!

Read again. I'm on about people getting their family members to register with no intent of actually joining but doing the IST so they can see it.

Like I said they might get caught out and AC but there will be ones who won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Read again. I'm on about people getting their family members to register with no intent of actually joining but doing the IST so they can see it.

Like I said they might get caught out and AC but there will be ones who won't.
    Never actually thought of that, but yeah you're really only kiddding yourself. It's it quite smart tho but I would rather pass through my own hard work and concentration

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

I would be gutted if I didn’t get passed the IST because of these ‘smart’ people getting friends and family trying out the IST first.

I’m sure though Deloitte will be checking the applications and how many come from the same family etc. You had to give your national insurance number, etc. So you couldn’t put false details on the application form

If it's like the civil service test then the questions are randomised from a pool so that won't work...

If it's like the civil service test then the questions are randomised from a pool so that won't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

If you get somebody else to do the IST, you're only kidding yourself. If you can't do the initial test on your own, how will you fair in the exams in garnerville? What you're doing is essentially cheating and makes you no better than the officers caught up in the cheating scandal last year. Not really setting the example of a potential officer if you cheat from the get go.

If you cheat you're a ****

Seriously thoigh if you think getting some one to go throughbthe whole IST and then guide you through it will help, news flash, that won't work because the questions will be different. You are also measured on speed so if yju are doing it faster than the control group that has done it before you will be under scrutiny.

You WILL be on your own atvassessment and if pooled completepy on your own and sweating buckets in the full manual test under supervision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

Personally wouldn't be too worried about someone "cheating" on the IST as I had the same tests word for word at IST a year apart.

When I undertook the NIFRS job related test it was multiple choice with no particular "right/wrong" answer. But each answer obviously had a particular score so you couldn't fail as such your overall scorer just had to total what was required to pass.

Real wok is in the AC

How do you know the questions will be different? Again, opinion not fact.

Like I said i'm glad im waiting on the call from 1509 for their will be people who circumvent this new method in my opinion.

Fsr prefer the physical IST were you showed your ID, at least then you knew everyone was on a level playing field.

I don't know, Deloitte have definately thought about it...

• Advertisement

It's my opinion that's the testing after this recruitment drive could be recycled and use again in the drive for recruitment say next year.

I am basing that assumption on the fact that I attended two IST a year apart both had the same test word for word in relation to the data sheet section in the numerical reasoning.

Personally I'd prefer to sit a test rather than do it online and if I'd the choice, and in a secure location! The two IST I mentioned where also both in the lame location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Having the IST test online is probably saving them quite a bit of money with not having to rent out a venue and paying people to supervise it. It also is better for people that live far away from Belfast not having to take a day off work to then drive quite a distance. Instead they can do the test in the comfort of their own homes and at a time that suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Having the IST test online is probably saving them quite a bit of money with not having to rent out a venue and paying people to supervise it. It also is better for people that live far away from Belfast not having to take a day off work to then drive quite a distance. Instead they can do the test in the comfort of their own homes and at a time that suits them.
    True, the old and new IST's both have their pros and cons, I guess we'll just have to see how the new one goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

The main reason ist is now online is because during the report it was discovered that having to go to venues with loads of people was putting alot of Catholics and nationalists of joining incase they are spotted, where as the numbers for the A.C. days are tiny. So makes people feel alot more secure

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pecks123

Think this campaign they'll be targeting more Catholics and people from the LGBT community to join as its underrepresented in both aeas

Aye but it's against the law to determine if someone is more suitable for it based on those reasons. They just are targetting people on the advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

How can they target people from certain groups? I know they are encouraging them to apply but if they don't get the scores then they can't proceed in the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Its good that they are making the effort to attract more minorities to the recruitment but it should still be the best people for the job get the job. People shouldnt be offered a place over someone else just because of their religion, race, gender or sexuality. And i say that as i am a minority. Hopfully the 50/50 system is never reintroduced.

I'd like to know how and at what stage you are place in to the categories of religion, race and sexual orientation ect. As I don't recall it asking in the app other than at the equality and monitoring section which like all jobs is supposed to be anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

redsox101 wrote: »
    I'd like to know how and at what stage you are place in to the categories of religion, race and sexual orientation ect. As I don't recall it asking in the app other than at the equality and monitoring section which like all jobs is supposed to be anonymous.

Just to clarify to those who think it’s like the old “50/50” recruitment. IT IS NOT. just because you come from Certian demographic does not mean “you are more likely to get in”. The psni only want to attract more people from those backgrounds. That’s it. If you pass all stages, you pass all stages. You don’t get bumped up for being a woman, gay or catholic. If you fail all stages you fail. They simply want more applicants from
    Those backgroundsNo advantage.

Advertisement