Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

In terms of firearms. They scare me, wish we didn’t need them but prepared to take on the knowledge knowing I may have to use one as a last resort.

What are your thoughts on; on duty and personal protection firearm carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

takodah wrote: »
    In terms of firearms. They scare me, wish we didn’t need them but prepared to take on the knowledge knowing I may have to use one as a last resort.

I feel you will be trained more than adequately to use one so I wouldn't worry too much. They can be scary things as it is a tool that can be used to end somebody's life, but it has to be handled at all times with respnsibility.
    Personally, if I get in, I would carry my PPW with me at all times. Rather have it and not need it than notnhave it and need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Rather have it and not need than need it and not have it.

If i get in mine will 90% of the time be with or on me.

Rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

I'm lucky in that since though I have been shooting since I was very young.

The threat is unfortunately very real. The murder scene from The Fall is just as realistic a threat an UVIEDs

But i'm also a believer that all UK forces should be routinely armed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

In terms of firearms. They scare me,  wish we didn’t need them but prepared to take on the knowledge knowing I may have to use one as a last resort.

90% of people joining have never even seen a real gun, let alone held it, cleaned it, fired it. The firearms training is top quality and they'll work at a speed that suits you. In all honesty, out on the ground you tend to forget the firearm is even there, it just becomes a part of your utility belt and becomes normal.  I remember when i first took my gun home and took it out in public with me, i was so nervous and it just felt weird, but now its just normal. Some people decide not to take the gun home with them, personally for me, its coming with me just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I'll always carry. You just never know. I do pitty recruits from the Republic because even though it's for personal protection the firearm is not allowed to cross the border. So anyone from Ireland who decides to join and continue living at the other side of the border will have to travel to and from work without it.

The problem with gun culture in the UK is that people don't actually know alot about it. Without getting into politics i believe gun laws throughout the UK should be slackened.
    We are somewhat lucky in Northern Ireland as we are the only part of the UK where a normal person can own a pistol. Anyone can go to a gun shop and put a deposit on a pistol. And the only criteria that PSNI firearms branch need you to meet is criminal check, mental health check from your GP and that you have been a member of a shooting club for over 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Maj, has anyone ever noticed it on you, surely its impossible to hide it all the time?

Do you quietly identify yourself as policr officer? Thinking members of the public could be spooked if they saw someone in their civvie clothes with a gun.

I mean whats the protocol there, are you in trouble with your superiors if someone rang 999 saying they think they see someone with a gun up the town for example lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Maj, has anyone ever noticed it on you, surely its impossible to hide it all the time?

Do you quietly identify yourself as policr officer? Thinking members of the public could be spooked if they saw someone in their civvie clothes with a gun.

I mean whats the protocol there, are you in trouble with your superiors if someone rang 999 saying they think they see someone with a gun up the town for example lol?
    If they have noticed, they've never questioned me about it. If they did, then yes i would identify myself and leave hastily, but otherwise i'd never identify myself. Realistically if someone does report you, you're going end up face down on the ground surrounded by 8 ARV's who will probably just laugh when its all over and done with. Probably end up with a word from the Cheif about being more inconspicuous about it, but it can be impossible to keep it concealed 24/7

Great responses folks. The general discussion on this is good for insights. Epsically those serving. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Ciaran124

Hello everyone, Just looking some more insight into where or what you all have been doing to prepare? Is there any good books of websites that I could have a look through? PS sorry if this has been discussed previously

Ciaran124 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, Just looking some more insight into where or what you all have been doing to prepare? Is there any good books of websites that I could have a look through? PS sorry if this has been discussed previously

It is in many previous threads, worth looking at for more ideas. What I am doing is practicing verbal reasoning questions online (loads on google) that’s the true false can’t tell questions.

For scanning a document quick and picking out spelling mistakes there is many apps or online mocks you can get.

Some other suggestions in previous threads is: past transfer test papers for primary to secondary education.
    Brain teasers etc for problem solving skills.
    Looking at police Scotland papers (although very different to psni).

Don’t forget your fitness too.

Gonna sound really weird. Times tables...

Get's your brain working quickly and accurately again

Fitness bit is really easy. Because we have loads of time.

Aim to do press ups and sit ups before you go to bed and when you wake up.

Go to the gym but go to a class that pushes you i.e. spin classes but still get out on the road to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Takodah

They have taken the test out this year, where you have to scan a document quickly and spot the spelling mistakes. We don’t have to do that, this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Two weeks until IST. Everyone else getting as excited as I am? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

I'm excited to get this process started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

When do we get the link through for the IST?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

TW2017 wrote: »

Just says in my email that they will be in touch by the 20th Nov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

TW2017 wrote: »
    It will be sometime between the 10th and the 20th.

Takodah

They have taken the test out this year, where you have to scan a document quickly and spot the spelling mistakes. We don’t have to do that, this year.

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Takodah

Happy days
    Hopefully there's a 100% pass rate on the boards this year

What do you’d think about the repeat of the test in Written form. I feel it may be harder or add new/old elements ? Or would they not do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

Recruitment closing soon, which means the ball will start rolling for the ones who have applied!! Good luck for the IST everyone

I wonder if they will announce how many have applied once the application stage is closed?

What do you’d think about the repeat of the test in Written form. I feel it may be harder or add new/old elements ? Or would they not do this ?

It's a retest of the IST they can't change otherwise they'd be open to legal challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

My take on the re-test was its a re-test of the IST. And the written test was related to the role plays or questions that assessed your written communication and applied to the accountability, collaborative decision making aspects ect.

The roleplays assess your competencies the IST is simply a herd thinning exercise.

The re-test is to make sure you didn't cheat on the IST because you are doing it at home.

• Advertisement

I know people aren’t allowed to talk about this but without saying much, are people still going to classes out there knowing that half the content has been axed from the IST ?

Advertisement